News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.84)  (Read 51172 times)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.82)
« Reply #340 on: September 12, 2017, 04:25:57 pm »
I was a big fan of your Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition hack of FFVI so I'm considering checking this out. In terms of both translation and difficulty, how would you say it compared to the PSX version and the GBA version?

Thanks for the compliments!

I think the translation was well done by vivify93. I did some tweaks to it as well, changing some lines to better match current translations. With the monster, item, and spell names, I did the best I could with the space available. Personally, I think its the best version of the game with its original graphics. Of current versions of FFIV, I like the PSP version overall.

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 12, 2017, 05:10:46 pm »
I have suggestion/idea/thingy that might be neat.

Is there a chance this translation could get a special side patch that changes Zeromus to his "Easy Type" form?
So there is both versions?

I also wanted to make note that while I was playing this version recently, I noticed that if you use the Namingway guy to change your name, The Hand Icon doesn't work on the Name Entry Screen. I didn't know if this was a glitch or something that needed addressing in the patch.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 06:29:09 pm by Sephirous »
Hacking Nes Roms Is Like Making Sweet Passionate Love, Hacking Snes Roms Is Like Having Your Bitchy Mother In Law Scream At You.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 20, 2017, 11:47:10 pm »
I have suggestion/idea/thingy that might be neat.

Is there a chance this translation could get a special side patch that changes Zeromus to his "Easy Type" form?
So there is both versions?

I also wanted to make note that while I was playing this version recently, I noticed that if you use the Namingway guy to change your name, The Hand Icon doesn't work on the Name Entry Screen. I didn't know if this was a glitch or something that needed addressing in the patch.

Strange. Are you sure you are using Version 1.82 on an unheadered 1.1 FFII US ROM? I know I had the issue on an older version and fixed it.

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 23, 2017, 07:02:53 pm »
Yep, I even took a normal 1.1 Rom and removed the header manually to see if that helped and still the hand gets lost until the smaller letters across. So I counted the clicks so I could figure out where the hand should have been and was able to rename the character. However I was not able to get the hand problem to go away.
Hacking Nes Roms Is Like Making Sweet Passionate Love, Hacking Snes Roms Is Like Having Your Bitchy Mother In Law Scream At You.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 23, 2017, 11:45:44 pm »
Yep, I even took a normal 1.1 Rom and removed the header manually to see if that helped and still the hand gets lost until the smaller letters across. So I counted the clicks so I could figure out where the hand should have been and was able to rename the character. However I was not able to get the hand problem to go away.

I did my own test to see it and yeah it's there. Fortunately I have an archive of previous versions to see when that problem came back. I have a few minor things I need to update anyway so it gives me a good reason to dig for a fix.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 25, 2017, 04:35:17 am »
I hate to ask this of you, Rodimus, but if you find a fix, would you be willing to send it my way? Apparently, this issue stemmed from Project II.  :-[
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 25, 2017, 08:03:39 pm »
I hate to ask this of you, Rodimus, but if you find a fix, would you be willing to send it my way? Apparently, this issue stemmed from Project II.  :-[

It seems to stem from something that FF4kster does when saving. I have two variations of it and I think one of them does not cause the error. I'll have to check out which one. From what I can see within Namingway Edition, version 1.80 was the last version to not have the issue so I will have to see what I can do to bring it up to date without the error.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 12, 2017, 09:22:48 am »
Okay so I am working on the next update. I'm making similar changes that Project II, but I am also removing ALL lines that have a hyphen to separate words. There are a couple of lines I am looking at that I am altering as well to be closer to either the Japanese, the GBA, or the DS translation in terms of wording as space allows.

For instance, the scene after Tellah attacks Edward now has Edward mention that Golbez was clad in dark armor.
When Yang meets Tellah for the first time, he now says "My condolences. I am Yang, High Monk of Fabul."

There are a couple of others too.

October 14, 2017, 07:51:16 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Version 1.83 has been approved . I've fixed the Namingway letters glitch and I've also made many script changes in places. Some came from the new update to Project II, while others use some lines from the GBA or DS translations with notes from Tomato's Legends of Localization used as well. Some things were shortened for space constraints but it all worked out.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 02:42:15 pm by Rodimus Primal »

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.83)
« Reply #348 on: October 15, 2017, 08:37:45 pm »
Awesome stuff! Looking forward to it. :D

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 16, 2017, 12:33:15 pm »
Excellent!

Thank you so much!

Works Perfect!  :thumbsup:

Prince Valmont

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 16, 2017, 08:51:23 pm »
This looks amazing! I'm loading it up now on my SNES Classic.
My only request is a consideration of placing a space between the colon of the speaking character and their dialog;

Example:
(Currently):
"Soldier A:Captain Cecil, we're about to arrive!"
"Cecil:Good."

(Recommendation):
"Soldier A: Captain Cecil, we're about to arrive!"
"Cecil: Good."

Granted, this is just a minor nitpick from reading several books, and if the text has to be formatted this way to fit as much text as possible, I completely understand.

Otherwise, excellent job on the translation and patch work!

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 16, 2017, 09:00:05 pm »
This looks amazing! I'm loading it up now on my SNES Classic.
My only request is a consideration of placing a space between the colon of the speaking character and their dialog;

Example:
(Currently):
"Soldier A:Captain Cecil, we're about to arrive!"
"Cecil:Good."

(Recommendation):
"Soldier A: Captain Cecil, we're about to arrive!"
"Cecil: Good."

Granted, this is just a minor nitpick from reading several books, and if the text has to be formatted this way to fit as much text as possible, I completely understand.

Otherwise, excellent job on the translation and patch work!

Thanks. The reason this was done quite a bit is because the space after the colon takes up precious space for the script. If there was more room within the actual game, I certainly would.

Prince Valmont

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 16, 2017, 09:07:33 pm »
Thanks. The reason this was done quite a bit is because the space after the colon takes up precious space for the script. If there was more room within the actual game, I certainly would.

Hehe, yeah, I decided to peruse through all 18 pages of the thread after making my post. (I should've done this first, I know!)
So that totally makes sense. Even with this limitation, I am blown away by the work you guys have done. So bravo! Can't wait to play through this!

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 17, 2017, 01:06:42 am »
i did that 'cause it was like that in the original! it's a big space-saver lol

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 17, 2017, 08:39:04 am »
Has anyone thought of simply making the colon a lot smaller, rather than adding a space? If the colon is smaller and forced all the way to the left, then a space will be there, even within the tile's pasteboard.

This also won't affect the formatting so far as I know, since the tile will still take up the same amount of space.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 08:44:39 am by Spooniest »

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 17, 2017, 01:14:04 pm »
Has anyone thought of simply making the colon a lot smaller, rather than adding a space? If the colon is smaller and forced all the way to the left, then a space will be there, even within the tile's pasteboard.

This also won't affect the formatting so far as I know, since the tile will still take up the same amount of space.

I second that idea if Rodimus digs it. On my own project I've been doing just that to save space, but I gave the period, colon and exclamation point the same treatment.  :beer:

Also just realized that items have super in-depth descriptions compared to vanilla. How'd you accomplish that?  Do weapons/armor/accessories have descriptions as well? I ask mainly because it was something I was trying to do at one point, but had to concede to abusing squish tiles like CRAZY just to map out descriptions for most of my status healing items and such..  :banghead:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 17, 2017, 02:33:08 pm »
That's a great idea. Thinking outside the box.  :thumbsup:

Gary_Oak

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 17, 2017, 04:49:28 pm »
Rodimus Primal, do you have any plans for a potential Namingway/Uncensored Edition equivalent for Final Fantasy V?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 17, 2017, 08:11:51 pm »
I can actually do that with the colon already, leaving a one pixel space to the left. The only time it looks weird is the in game clock as there is a large space now between the colon and the second number. If you're cool with it for the sake of the rest of the script I'll go ahead with it.

Rodimus Primal, do you have any plans for a potential Namingway/Uncensored Edition equivalent for Final Fantasy V?

Since the GBA script for the SNES version just came out, I don't think I have any intentions to do so. However, I'd like them to go through with getting the updated spell names worked out such as Thunder and Blizzard.

Prince Valmont

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 25, 2017, 11:35:49 pm »
Do you have a screenshot as to what the modified colon placement would look like in a dialogue setting?