News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.98a)  (Read 163817 times)

mcgeepride

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.75)
« Reply #280 on: July 29, 2016, 01:36:00 pm »
You are just hell-bent on being rude no matter what I say. I tried to smooth things over even though I didn't do anything wrong but try to help. I understand that it makes you feel superior when you put people down and bash them. I never said I needed help because I know how to fix it and I was simply just pointing it out because the creator was the one who said it was intent to make it like the original and for me to point out things he missed if I encounted them. I have the screenshot of the google+ to prove it. I think people need to say what they really want properly like: "I am just changing the names" but he didnt do that he went diffrent social media sites and stated he wanted to make it like FF4 Japan.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:43:04 pm by mcgeepride »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 29, 2016, 01:39:52 pm »
Why yes, please post the PM if you wish to continue.  Please though, cut it out.  This is going nowhere and you're just turning everyone including yourself into a big ball of mad.

(tl;dr I gave a nice big PM over one about an earlier reply, that basically said I'd keep everything nonbias but to "stop being an asshole," discussion about repros is banned, and how if I were given the same ultimatum I'd say no.  Like I said, one big angry and stupid rant.)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:49:12 pm by Chronosplit »

mcgeepride

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 29, 2016, 01:49:57 pm »
I didn't know about the repo thing but why ain't others kick off for doing it? I never said he had to do it and just pointed out what was in the Japanes one. How can anyone have a view about this project if you and some others want to make issues out of nothing. I said I was sorry and didnt mean anything by it.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 29, 2016, 02:08:11 pm »
It's not that you made the suggestion. It's that you COMPLAINED about the decision made that he'd already explained/discussed beforehand.

Ultimately, all the things are pretty much Rodimus' decision to make, not yours. If you don't like the decisions made, don't get it. Better yet, make your own.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 29, 2016, 02:38:00 pm »
It's not that you made the suggestion. It's that you COMPLAINED about the decision made that he'd already explained/discussed beforehand.

Ultimately, all the things are pretty much Rodimus' decision to make, not yours. If you don't like the decisions made, don't get it. Better yet, make your own.
Indeed.  Not to put any more fuel on the fire but I couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm sorry that I was so harsh (like I said, angry and stupid.  I'm usually slow to it but people don't like me when I'm angry).  But really, if your conviction's that strong make a 1:1 rendition or play another.  That's what hacking's all about, doing your own thing.  We have what, at least three versions of FFVI that have a similar goal done in a different way because of this?

Anyway, really.  We should be moving on.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:10:15 pm by Chronosplit »

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 29, 2016, 04:13:28 pm »
The original plan, from what I saw in the very first post, was:

'As vivify93 announced in his thread for Project II, he and I decided to allow me to branch off for Namingway Edition. For those looking now, this is my attempt at at taking Project II and renaming the items, spells, and monsters to a more traditional naming, and matching, if possible, the names used in modern releases of Final Fantasy IV. '

In other words, he'd originally planned to just adapt Project II and use Japanese names to match modern releases.

That he started adding things -from- the original Japanese is pretty much him deciding to try and expand from this base.

So this is basically an continuing development of Project II based around expanding it to 'Japanese extras'.

There's a reason this is a 'hack', and not a 'translation'.

If you want to make it -exactly- like the Japanese, I think, you want it to be a -translation- of the original Japanese rom, not a hack of the US Rom.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 29, 2016, 06:49:38 pm »

Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa!

Put the hatchets down guys! Seriously, I appreciate the input but there is no reason to be fighting over this. Just for the record, the Read Me thanks everyone of you on this board and Slick for your help and support.

As for my reasoning as to WHY I decided to keep Rydia's starting equipment the same is out of respect to vivify93 and Project II. In retrospect it's probably best to change it back since Namingway Edition evolved into what it is. But please, no need to argue about it.

As for item descriptions.....as chillyfeez said before....

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 29, 2016, 07:35:18 pm »
You're right of course.  All this got way out of hand and I apologize for my part in it.

I am however, waiting intently to see what comes out of this description talk.  This is going to get quite interesting.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 29, 2016, 09:04:56 pm »
Well it's certainly going to get interesting. It would seem there going to be a change in one of the reviews....joy. 

At this point  I think I can inform everyone that thanks to chillyfeez, I now have enough room to add item descriptions for every usable item (not weapons). I've been busy IRL with work so I've had very little time to work on it, but I am going to be ironing out what each item will say within the usable space that I have.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 29, 2016, 09:37:41 pm »
How in the world did you manage that?  I thought text space was one of the most rigid problems with this project.  Or any IV project for that matter.  Will these be showing up in Project II as well?

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 29, 2016, 10:41:41 pm »
If vivi wanted me to help him do that, I would, but as yet we haven't discussed it. I'm not the kind to just contact people and be like, "I know how to do this thing that will enable you to spend a fair amount of time making changes to your thing, so how 'bout it?"

Anyway,
There is a rather large unused bank of space in the 60000 bank of the ROM that wouldn't be big enough for any dialogue banks, but works pretty well as a bank for expanded item descriptions. I also devised a way to have the descriptions contain three lines of text instead of just one (the description window is actually the perfect size for it), so Rodimus has a considerable amount of room to work his magic.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 30, 2016, 12:53:16 pm »
I'd have to think it over; I don't really want Project II to have any more big updates. It does sound like what's being done for Namingway Edition makes it far superior to J2e's "effort," in any event!

As for Rydia's equipment, I do also think it'd be best to revert it just for the sake of making it closer to the Japanese version. Like I said, I only did it for personal and stylistic choices. FFIV is also great at integrating story and gameplay together, and this was a rare yet glaring instance of it conflicting. The pros outweigh the cons of giving Rydia back her starting gear, in my opinion; I would go for it if I were you! :)
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 30, 2016, 01:04:48 pm »
I'd have to think it over; I don't really want Project II to have any more big updates. It does sound like what's being done for Namingway Edition makes it far superior to J2e's "effort," in any event!

As for Rydia's equipment, I do also think it'd be best to revert it just for the sake of making it closer to the Japanese version. Like I said, I only did it for personal and stylistic choices. FFIV is also great at integrating story and gameplay together, and this was a rare yet glaring instance of it conflicting. The pros outweigh the cons of giving Rydia back her starting gear, in my opinion; I would go for it if I were you! :)
Thanks! I really appreciate that.

Item descriptions are underway and I'm currently ironing out what each description will say. I'm trying to be descriptive while keeping it short and sweet. I have 3 rows of 19 characters including spaces. To keep things looking decent, I'm only using the bottom two rows for the most part. To give an example, the Arctic item (which is suppossed to be Arctic Wind) will say:

Hit all enemies
with strong ice

I will have screenshots up later when I can.

July 30, 2016, 09:24:41 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
So far so good. Making sure everything works properly and that all items have the correct description.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 09:24:44 pm by Rodimus Primal »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 30, 2016, 11:34:55 pm »
That's looking pretty good!  No more "dead space" in the UI either!

EDIT:
Well it's certainly going to get interesting. It would seem there going to be a change in one of the reviews....joy.
I didn't want to mention the review because I thought it would be stirring the pot a little more, but in this case it's comparatively tame and it's already been brought up.  Honestly I thought it was only a matter of time before it changed around to "not a 1:1 translation I prefer the fan translation," since that's what they were looking for. *shrug*
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 11:15:31 am by Chronosplit »

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 31, 2016, 12:20:13 pm »
Thanks! I really appreciate that.

Item descriptions are underway and I'm currently ironing out what each description will say. I'm trying to be descriptive while keeping it short and sweet. I have 3 rows of 19 characters including spaces. To keep things looking decent, I'm only using the bottom two rows for the most part. To give an example, the Arctic item (which is suppossed to be Arctic Wind) will say:

Hit all enemies
with strong ice

I will have screenshots up later when I can.

July 30, 2016, 09:24:41 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
So far so good. Making sure everything works properly and that all items have the correct description.

Woah! That item desciption looks AWESOME! Waaaay better than my setup of using icons/squishtiles to save space I suggested over on the Slick Boards. Really dig how you're using the vast amount of space as well - using just those bottom two lines look perfectly natural. Good work!
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 31, 2016, 12:36:32 pm »

Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa!

...Lois, is this my Batman glass!?
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 01, 2016, 04:35:27 pm »
Woah! That item desciption looks AWESOME! Waaaay better than my setup of using icons/squishtiles to save space I suggested over on the Slick Boards. Really dig how you're using the vast amount of space as well - using just those bottom two lines look perfectly natural. Good work!

Thanks! Now every non-key item will have a description. If you look in FF4kster at the items, this goes from BombFrag all the way through Whistle.

I also did some tweaking with some item names for the next release. ExitDoor is now EmergExit, Greens is now Gyshal, GldApple is GoldApple, and Wht.Fang is now WhiteFang. 

There is a battle message during the Mist Dragon battle (first boss) that I'm thinking of tweaking. Currently it looks okay and you get the point, but I do want to try and make it closer to what it says originally in Japanese. Of course, space is limited and I'd like everyone's input on these lines.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 01, 2016, 04:43:18 pm »
Thanks! Now every non-key item will have a description. If you look in FF4kster at the items, this goes from BombFrag all the way through Whistle.

Awesome!   :beer:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 01, 2016, 08:03:57 pm »
Minor correction, it should be spelled Gysahl and not Gyshal to maintain continuity with the rest of the FF series. http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Gysahl_Greens

Would the lines in question be "The mist is scathing! We have to wait until... ...it turns into a dragon!"? I  would be in favor of changing the lines, if you wanted to hear my input at all. It's a pretty basic line that I barely thought about when I rewrote it.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 01, 2016, 08:47:36 pm »
Minor correction, it should be spelled Gysahl and not Gyshal to maintain continuity with the rest of the FF series. http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Gysahl_Greens

Would the lines in question be "The mist is scathing! We have to wait until... ...it turns into a dragon!"? I  would be in favor of changing the lines, if you wanted to hear my input at all. It's a pretty basic line that I barely thought about when I rewrote it.

Had a dyslexic moment there. It will be fixed.

Your input is always welcome! Yep that's the line. For as good as the rest of the script is, that one in perticular stood out to me.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 09:53:04 pm by Rodimus Primal »