News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.98b)  (Read 231530 times)

darthvaderx

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.98a)
« Reply #660 on: November 03, 2019, 07:20:43 am »
As everyone already knows and has been mentioned here before there is also this difference between FFIVJap and FFIIUsa:

Quote from: 'The Cutting Room Floor' site

The configuration menu of Final Fantasy II was greatly stripped down compared to Final Fantasy IV. Here's an overview of the missing options:

Battle Mode - Can set ATB to Active, which allows enemies to attack when you're in menus.
    Controller - Has two different selections:
        Normal/Custom - Allows the buttons assigned to the Confirm, Cancel, and Menu options to be changed. The R button, used for switching characters on the field, is the only one that cannot have its function changed.
        Single/Multiple - Multiple allows you to assign each party member to a different controller in battle. Without this set, either controller can control any party member.
    Cursor - The cursor can be set to remember its previous location in menus.

Easy Type only lost the ability to customize button assignments (likely because of button hints being placed in the game's dialogue) and set the cursor to remember its previous position.

But what I did not know:

The features enabled by the options weren't actually removed from either game, and they will function perfectly if a save from another version with the options enabled is imported.

That is, the options are still inserted in the game, just not shown in the menu!!!

Could this be of any help?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 07:27:12 am by darthvaderx »

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 03, 2019, 07:11:06 pm »
As everyone already knows and has been mentioned here before there is also this difference between FFIVJap and FFIIUsa:

But what I did not know:

That is, the options are still inserted in the game, just not shown in the menu!!!

Could this be of any help?

I would not mind adding the full Config menu back in with all its options if I knew where the pointers were. I also like the idea of changing the name Customizer back to Config for series consistency.

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 07, 2019, 03:52:36 am »
Awesome work on this, currently playing through. One question, is Namingway compatible with the FFIV TLS Equipment Screen Mod?

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: November 07, 2019, 05:04:16 pm »
Awesome work on this, currently playing through. One question, is Namingway compatible with the FFIV TLS Equipment Screen Mod?

As far as I know, its not compatible currently. I'm not sure what is conflicting specifically.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #664 on: November 26, 2019, 09:18:08 am »
Namingway and TWUE got mentioned by SNESDrunk here: https://youtu.be/RlcUHXmTTfM

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: November 26, 2019, 11:17:03 am »
Namingway and TWUE got mentioned by SNESDrunk here: https://youtu.be/RlcUHXmTTfM

I just watched that video! Wow! What a recommendation. After feeling down and pressured over the last TWUE update, this really brightened my day.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 11:41:08 am by Rodimus Primal »

LightAcolyte

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 13, 2020, 03:09:35 am »
I seem to be having a problem getting multiplayer controls to work correctly with the game when patched with this. The second controller inputs battle commands fine without the patch, but appears completely unresponsive with the patch, any idea what could be affecting this?

Also, has this been tested working with the 9999 Limit Break hack patch? I thought I'd ask before I got too deep into trying to troubleshoot it. I can get this Namingway patch to work on the no header FF2 US v1.1 SMC ROM okay besides the multiplayer issue I noticed, but that patch doesn't seem to work with or without the Namingway patch and I'll stop looking into it if it isn't compatible as well. Thanks!

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 13, 2020, 10:49:10 am »
I seem to be having a problem getting multiplayer controls to work correctly with the game when patched with this. The second controller inputs battle commands fine without the patch, but appears completely unresponsive with the patch, any idea what could be affecting this?

Also, has this been tested working with the 9999 Limit Break hack patch? I thought I'd ask before I got too deep into trying to troubleshoot it. I can get this Namingway patch to work on the no header FF2 US v1.1 SMC ROM okay besides the multiplayer issue I noticed, but that patch doesn't seem to work with or without the Namingway patch and I'll stop looking into it if it isn't compatible as well. Thanks!

That's strange. I just checked my own ROM file and I am able to use Multiplayer just fine. As you know, US FFII doesn't have the per character setting in the Customizer menu but a second controller can input commands just like Player 1 can.

LightAcolyte

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 13, 2020, 04:20:00 pm »
Thanks, I have tested a few different options today and updated my RetroArch cores. It seems to work fine with the updated SNES9x Core now, but not with the most current Mesen or higan cores in RetroArch. So I know it is not the IPS patch or ROM now that I can get it to work for sure with RetroArch and the SNES9x Core on that so I'm moving on to just play with that now!

Now the only thing I can't figure out is no matter how I use the Final Fantasy IV - Break Damage Limit (9999) hack I get a black screen and no title screen as nothing happens on any of my emulator options (with or without this hack also patched with LIPS). I saw on its news thread it supposedly should work with this patch as well as others, but do you know if it is working with this patch in testing? If not, I will give up temporarily on pursuing it as it is surely going to be a long time before I am dealing that much damage anyway. Thanks again!

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 13, 2020, 06:44:46 pm »
Thanks, I have tested a few different options today and updated my RetroArch cores. It seems to work fine with the updated SNES9x Core now, but not with the most current Mesen or higan cores in RetroArch. So I know it is not the IPS patch or ROM now that I can get it to work for sure with RetroArch and the SNES9x Core on that so I'm moving on to just play with that now!

Now the only thing I can't figure out is no matter how I use the Final Fantasy IV - Break Damage Limit (9999) hack I get a black screen and no title screen as nothing happens on any of my emulator options (with or without this hack also patched with LIPS). I saw on its news thread it supposedly should work with this patch as well as others, but do you know if it is working with this patch in testing? If not, I will give up temporarily on pursuing it as it is surely going to be a long time before I am dealing that much damage anyway. Thanks again!

Honestly I myself never tested the Break Damage Limit patch on it. I do know that it breaks compatibility with ff4kster, one of the tools I used in editing Namingway Edition. It is possible that it also makes the two projects incompatible.

CasualChris

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 02, 2020, 07:16:28 pm »
I just finished my playthrough of this hack as well as FF6: TWUE, and I must say that it was a fantastic experience all around. Looking back on the dialogue of the original SNES release after doing so, it's genuinely alarming how stunted and almost robotic the original dialogue feels, even putting aside the censorship of things like death, religion, alcohol, and so on. The new script is absolutely fantastic all around, and I don't have a single negative thing to say about any of it.

Above all, I wish that there was a version of this patch that didn't have all of the various buffs and additions that Project II added, such as...

Spoiler:
...the ability to use Sight and Warp in battle,
the B button dash (on a side note, it would be great if this was optional in FF6: TWUE, too!),
the buffed weapons, whether they be improved stats (all Bow weapons) or added spell effects (Power Staff/Flame Whip/Wooden Mallet),
the buffed Goblin summon,
the buffed character abilities (Heal/Sing/Cry/Pray/Regen) as well as magic (Protect/Shell/Curse replacing Dispel),
the unused weapons (Assassin Dagger and HandAxe),
the Hummingway Home offering X-Potions/Sirens instead of Hi-Potions/Bestiaries...

...and so on. I can understand the hidden passages in caves and dungeons still being highlighted, as ff4kster does not have the ability to edit the appearances of individual tiles, which is a great shame, and I wish that they could be properly hidden. (Speaking of, has the issue with the Sylvan Cave/Eidolon Passage damage tiles not making a sound been fixed yet?) Putting that aside, I always wished that there was a hack of SNES FF4 that was essentially just the Japanese version with an improved and modernized English script, and while J2Evisceration was a step in the right direction, it still misses marks, such as completely excising Kain's backstory about his father in Baron Castle, and having excessive use of capitalization, ellipses, and exclamation points in places where they do not belong.

This hack is extremely good, and I would still without a doubt consider it the definitive way to play FF4. The restored maps (love the Developer's Room!), graphics, monster stats, weapons, items, chest contents, and dummied out character abilities as well as the various bugfixes are nothing short of spectacular, and I supremely wish that my dream of a version of Namingway Edition with gameplay and appearance that is 100% faithful to the Japanese FF4 will ever come to be, but I still highly applaud all of the effort that went into this regardless, as with FF6: TWUE. Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 01:42:07 pm by CasualChris »

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 04, 2020, 10:03:09 pm »
I just finished my playthrough of this hack as well as FF6: TWUE, and I must say that it was a fantastic experience all around. Looking back on the dialogue of the original SNES release after doing so, it's genuinely alarming how stunted and almost robotic the original dialogue feels, even putting aside the censorship of things like death, religion, alcohol, and so on. The new script is absolutely fantastic all around, and I don't have a single negative thing to say about any of it.

Above all, I wish that there was a version of this patch that didn't have all of the various buffs and additions that Project II added, such as...

Spoiler:
...the ability to use Sight and Warp in battle,
the B button dash (on a side note, it would be great if this was optional in FF6: TWUE, too!),
the buffed weapons, whether they be improved stats (all Bow weapons) or added spell effects (Power Staff/Flame Whip/Wooden Mallet),
the buffed Goblin summon,
the buffed character abilities (Heal/Sing/Cry/Pray/Regen) as well as magic (Protect/Shell/Curse replacing Dispel),
the unused weapons (Assassin Dagger and HandAxe),
the Hummingway Home offering X-Potions/Sirens instead of Hi-Potions/Bestiaries...

...and so on. I can understand the hidden passages in caves and dungeons still being highlighted, as ff4kster does not have the ability to edit the appearances of individual tiles, which is a great shame, and I wish that they could be properly hidden. (Speaking of, has the issue with the Sylvan Cave/Eidolon Passage damage tiles not making a sound been fixed yet?) Putting that aside, I always wished that there was a hack of SNES FF4 that was essentially just the Japanese version with an improved and modernized English script, and while J2Evisceration was a step in the right direction, it still misses marks, such as completely excising Kain's backstory about his father in Baron Castle, and having excessive use of capitalization, ellipses, and exclamation points in places where they do not belong.

This hack is extremely good, and I would still without a doubt consider it the definitive way to play FF4. The restored maps (love the Developer's Room!), graphics, monster stats, weapons, items, chest contents, and dummied out character abilities as well as the various bugfixes are nothing short of spectacular, and I supremely wish that my dream of a version of Namingway Edition with gameplay and appearance that is 100% faithful to the Japanese FF4 will ever come to be, but I still highly applaud all of the effort that went into this regardless, as with FF6: TWUE. Thank you!

Thank you so much for your kind words. To be honest, I would love to port the script of Namingway Edition to a Japanese ROM with all of the original features and perhaps have some great additions to it like User Options and an optional B-Button Dash. It would need some work to make it right.

TenJoker

• View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 13, 2020, 01:19:42 pm »
Hi,

First of all, thanks for making this great version of FFIV, it must have taken a lot of work but it's a lot of fun to play!

I made it about halfway through a playthrough about a year ago before getting distracted, and am now picking it up again.

My question is, can I update the rom to the newest version, and still use my old save file? I think I have version 1.95.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: April 14, 2020, 10:41:17 am »
Hi,

First of all, thanks for making this great version of FFIV, it must have taken a lot of work but it's a lot of fun to play!

I made it about halfway through a playthrough about a year ago before getting distracted, and am now picking it up again.

My question is, can I update the rom to the newest version, and still use my old save file? I think I have version 1.95.

Thanks for the kinds words!

There shouldn't be anything that should interfere with the save files to my knowledge.

TenJoker

• View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 14, 2020, 02:31:45 pm »
Ok thanks, then I will try the update!

One more question: I'm running into the issue that I don't have enough inventory space in the fat chocobo storage.

Since I'm the completionist type, I was wondering if it's possible to increase the space in the hack to allow for a complete item collection?

That would really make this version perfect!

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #675 on: April 17, 2020, 03:52:26 pm »
See what I did (in the video description the various hacks I mixed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5zeQ89_AB8
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 10:35:14 pm by darthvaderx »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: April 17, 2020, 05:08:16 pm »
See what I did (in the video description the various hacks I mixed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIWKGOGJlYE&t=212s
Namingway Edition, being based off of Project II, should already incorporate the following hacks in your video:

-Long Range Fix by Dragoon ZERO.
-Protect and Shell Improvement by Deathlike2.
-Yang's HP Fix by Deathlike2.
-Sing Improvement by Deathlike2.
-Goblin Summon Improvement by Deathlike2.
-Immune Byte Bugfixes by Grimoire LD.
-Critical Hit Fix by Chillyfeez, Grimoire LD.

Further, Rydia's Restored Power replaces Tellah's Recall command, meaning Tellah will also have "Call?" when you get him.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #677 on: April 17, 2020, 11:46:12 pm »
It was good to know that, I will redo the patches. But what did you think of the soundtrack? I did the same with FFV and Trials of Mana/Seiken densetsu 3.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 12:49:36 am by darthvaderx »

TenJoker

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: April 27, 2020, 02:57:56 am »
When you try to give something to the fat chocobo but his inventory is full there is an incorrect message:

I'm full!ou give me?

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: April 27, 2020, 08:43:43 pm »
When you try to give something to the fat chocobo but his inventory is full there is an incorrect message:

I'm full!ou give me?

Sounds like a pointer is out of wack somewhere. Is this the same problem in Vanilla FFII?