News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.98a)  (Read 159930 times)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.96)
« Reply #620 on: August 21, 2019, 03:01:34 pm »
Convenient pair of typos - one missing letter followed by one extra letter. If only it was always that easy.

Agreed. Not to mention that editing up until 2am at times can make even the most keen eye mistype something.

Nosgothy

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 26, 2019, 04:13:26 am »
I found another rather minor glitch. If you press the select button after battle, at the Gil received textbar, you get a "%" symbol at the Exp textbar.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 26, 2019, 12:44:38 pm »
That looks like it'd be a bug caused by FFIV User Options, and we'd need to contact Chillyfeez.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Nosgothy

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 26, 2019, 01:50:39 pm »
Alright, so I just finished my playthrough and had the greatest time ever with this translation! Thank you to everyone involved for making such a great update to the original.

Anyway, here are my last two nitpicks.

I feel like the word "Join" shouldn't be capitalized. But that could just be me...

This sentence doesn't read too well. Maybe ditch one 'will'?

And now to show off a little bit!

No typos, just pure awesomeness! :thumbsup:

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 26, 2019, 11:54:44 pm »
I found another rather minor glitch. If you press the select button after battle, at the Gil received textbar, you get a "%" symbol at the Exp textbar.

Yeah, that's a thing with User Options. I don't think it's something I can fix. Not easily, anyway.
As a matter of fact, the whole reason the ATB gauge won't stay on from one battle to the next is because of the effect that hack has on the exp and gp award messages. I thought I had worked in a fix that automatically turns it off once the battle ends, but apparently the player can choose to turn it back on when the first message appears?
We might have to just be at peace with this one for now. :-\
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 27, 2019, 12:27:41 pm »
Yeah, that's a thing with User Options. I don't think it's something I can fix. Not easily, anyway.
As a matter of fact, the whole reason the ATB gauge won't stay on from one battle to the next is because of the effect that hack has on the exp and gp award messages. I thought I had worked in a fix that automatically turns it off once the battle ends, but apparently the player can choose to turn it back on when the first message appears?
We might have to just be at peace with this one for now. :-\

Thanks for letting us know chillyfeez.

I've submitted Version 1.97 for approval with all of the text fixes from what Nosgothy found!

Nosgothy

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.97)
« Reply #626 on: August 28, 2019, 03:21:10 am »
Hmm, I've found something to be wrong with the drop tables of the Dark Sage enemy. I've been farming them for hours now (for Ribbon, no luck yet) and they never drop SomaDrops for me. Instead I've gotten Maidens Kiss', DryEthers and Phoenix Downs...

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 28, 2019, 07:47:38 pm »
That would be my fault. It looks like DarkSage / Seeress is dropping the wrong items. I tried to base enemy drops off of the FFIV Advance enemy FAQ for the most part, but it looks like I got one wrong.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 28, 2019, 10:37:08 pm »
That would be my fault. It looks like DarkSage / Seeress is dropping the wrong items. I tried to base enemy drops off of the FFIV Advance enemy FAQ for the most part, but it looks like I got one wrong.

It's not that you got it wrong, but I think that it is set to drop Phoenix Downs in Vanilla FF II. I've just changed it now to match Super Famicom and later releases, but the drop rate for Ribbons are still Mythic level. 

So the Dark Sage (originally Warlock) looks like this:

Drop Rate 1
Common: Maiden's Kiss
Uncommon: Dry Ether
Rare: Soma Drop (originally Phoenix Down)
Mythic: Ribbon

Nosgothy

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 29, 2019, 01:22:28 am »
Thanks for changing it. But you guys owe me a couple of hours of my life. :happy:

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #630 on: August 31, 2019, 09:52:50 pm »
Thanks for changing it. But you guys owe me a couple of hours of my life. :happy:

Sorry.

Version 1.98 has been submitted for approval with this fix.

Nosgothy

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.98)
« Reply #631 on: September 10, 2019, 02:08:59 pm »
So I've been using TONS of sirens and managed to get 2 Pink Tails last night! Normally I would go and change them for an Adamant armor right away and not continue fighting, but I was in a grinding mood and kept on going. When I finally wanted to get my armors, things got real ugly quick...

Because the little guy in the Adamant grotto took both my tails but only gave me 1 armor! :-\

Luckely I made a save beforehand but I really hope you can patch this! I don't want to farm for another tail.

Happy lil' Nos

Sad lil' Nos

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 10, 2019, 05:21:02 pm »
Actually that's a weird and quirky thing with the game's coding that I am not sure can be addressed. If you have more than one Pink Tail in one item slot, he will only give you ONE Adamant Armor and take all in that slot. But if you have them in separate item slots, you can get more than one Adamant Armor.

I looked this up and its a known thing with Vanilla FFII/IV. 

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 10, 2019, 10:11:49 pm »
Actually that's a weird and quirky thing with the game's coding that I am not sure can be addressed. If you have more than one Pink Tail in one item slot, he will only give you ONE Adamant Armor and take all in that slot. But if you have them in separate item slots, you can get more than one Adamant Armor.

I looked this up and its a known thing with Vanilla FFII/IV. 

Here, try this, it should fix the issue. I created the patch off of Namingway 1.98, so it will definitely patch cleanly. This is something I did for my hack, but I never made a patch for the general public. It's a simple, minimally invasive mod.

Latest Demo

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 10, 2019, 11:04:19 pm »
Here, try this, it should fix the issue. I created the patch off of Namingway 1.98, so it will definitely patch cleanly. This is something I did for my hack, but I never made a patch for the general public. It's a simple, minimally invasive mod.

My only question about that is does it mess with the old Item duplication glitch? Not that I'm looking to ever fix that!

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 11, 2019, 06:35:36 am »
The only item duplication glitch I know about involves unequipping stuff and running during battle. It certainly wouldn't affect that. I think I recall hearing about a different, more versatile dupe glitch somewhere, but I don't know anything about the context of its application.

As long as the thing you're talking about doesn't occur during the event instruction "remove item from inventory," then no. This mod overwrites the small bit of code that zeroes out the item and quantity then and only then, and replaces it with, essentially, "reduce item quantity by one; if the result is zero, erase associated item."

Latest Demo

Nosgothy

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 11, 2019, 06:40:27 am »
During battle you can move the shield and weapon from a character in such a way that you end up with 256 of said weapon. You can then use them as throw-stuff with Edge for example. Very benificial and shouldn't be patched indeed. ;)

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 11, 2019, 06:57:32 am »
During battle you can move the shield and weapon from a character in such a way that you end up with 256 of said weapon. You can then use them as throw-stuff with Edge for example. Very benificial and shouldn't be patched indeed. ;)
As I tried to indicate, the patch I threw up here won't touch that. Literally hundreds of lines of ROM separate the changes made by this patch and whatever is glitching during battles to duplicate items.

Latest Demo

Nosgothy

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 11, 2019, 07:35:35 am »
Yeah that's what I gathered. Your solution sounds good. :thumbsup:

Edit: So I got home from work and applied your patch chillyfeez. Works like a charm! Thanks a million! ;D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 10:48:10 am by Nosgothy »

PersonWithTime

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 13, 2019, 07:26:23 pm »
Hello!
First I wanted to say that I'm playing FF4 for the first time using this hack. And holy damn is this going to be the way I recommend others to play FF4. Thanks a ton for everything!

I also wanted to share some typos I found while playing so far.
The first is when Cecil returns to Mysidia and speaks to the Elder for the first time, the Elder says, "If you wish to fight with purity, you must go Mt. Ordeals to the east." I believe it's just missing the "go to Mt. Ordeals."

Also when Rosa joins your party for the 2nd time, you can speak to her mom and she says, "You're not to leave the here again."

I'm using version 1.96 to be clear. But I didn't see these in any future update posts so I wanted to share them and help out. I hope I was helpful. This is the way to play FF4 on the SNES in my opinion.