News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.82)  (Read 44815 times)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2015, 08:19:42 am »
The problem with changing the Twin Harp to Whisperweed involves a little rewrite storywise because it is a key item for a specific event. Also, the item has a lot of letters that don't fit even with my extended letters. I can try, but that update won't happen until I change the title screen first.

Cavery210

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2015, 03:18:17 pm »
Then how about EchoWeed or EchoPlant?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2015, 12:55:50 pm »
New version is up. Includes the original Baron Dancer. I will look into something for Twin Harp/ Whisperweed after work on the Title Screen has been completed.

Cavery210

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2015, 07:02:56 pm »
TO DO LIST:
Restore original title screen
Change Twin Harp to Whisperweed
Restore original maps for Baron, Kaipo, Mysidia and Troia.
Restore original training room and Developer Room
Restore original save point.
Change chests in Tower of Zot and Tower of Bab-il and Giant to original designs.
Restore Scarmiglione's DullSong counter if using Fire.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2015, 09:11:28 pm »
TO DO LIST:
Restore original title screen
Change Twin Harp to Whisperweed
Restore original maps for Baron, Kaipo, Mysidia and Troia.
Restore original training room and Developer Room
Restore original save point.
Change chests in Tower of Zot and Tower of Bab-il and Giant to original designs.
Restore Scarmiglione's DullSong counter if using Fire.

Sounds like fun, have at it Cavery...

No really, aside from Whisperweed (doesn't even have to be that long), Title Screen, and Scarmiglione's counter. The rest is far from necessary.

You are demanding too much without any offers of assistance.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2015, 11:28:47 pm »
Crazy demands and terrible naming suggestions notwithstanding, I do think restoring any battle scripts that were changed (e.g., Scarmiglione and Asura) would be a desirable goal. That has already been done for Zeromus, so I'm guessing it's within the realm of possibility for the same person who knew how to do that to do it for others?

Cavery210

• View Profile
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 05:32:44 pm by Cavery210 »

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2015, 08:26:27 am »
FYI, your readme mentions that you have an unheadered rom and that the patch converts it to a headered rom.  I took a look and it seems to be unheadered after the patch. You sure about that bit?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2015, 09:22:02 am »
I'll have to fix the readme. Initially I did do that. Converted a unheadered ROM to a headered one. Personally I think headered ROMs need to go by the wayside, but oldschool hacks that sometimes get incorporated and utilities require a header at first. You can always remove the header after but I don't think we need to go through that madness now that archives like GoodTools and No-Intro go by unheadered ROMs. So, Namingway will always start as and always will be unheadered. It's compatible with FF4kster which I use as a tool anyway.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2015, 11:42:05 am »
Oh I agree with the notion - I just scratched my head at the readme because I always check these things to make sure I start and end up with a no-headered rom.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2015, 11:14:18 pm »
If I remember correctly, that's how Project II used to do it, so I'm assuming that was a leftover bit from before "The Great Namingway Rift" (as the history books will surely refer to it ;)).

Incidentally, I imagine that a patch that adds a header to an unheadered ROM probably actually contains the entire ROM in the patch, because I don't think the IPS format is capable of containing the instructions "push the following data forward 200 bytes."
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2015, 07:06:14 pm »
I've found most of the save point tiles when I was attempting to port them over to my project. The ones I came across were the pentagram thing for the feymarch, and the ones used for the towers and lunar subterane tilesets (glowy orb thing). Couldn't find the save points for the caves(another pentagram or a campfire thing I believe) or the mountains (some crater looking thing).

If you're wanting to put those into Namingway, I wouldn't mind looking through the JP version again to help out. 

Though to be honest, I don't remember the caves or the mountains save points being too appealing when blindly running through to see them in-game haha.  The US version's (S) looks better in those two areas.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2015, 12:09:06 pm »
I've thought about it and it would make sense. US II and IV Easytype use the same tiles for the save points, but reverting them doesn't seem like a bad idea. I haven't looked into it much as my current focus is the title screen. If you can help Bahamut Zero, in any capacity, it would be greatly appreciated.  :beer:

I have no intentions of reverting the maps as its trivial. However, the small bits of censorship I do intend to change, but I won't change things because someone is twisting my arm. However the battle scripts, and the graphic tiles I think changing back will be worth the effort.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2015, 05:06:27 pm »
Hey, Rodimus.
I'm finally back in town. From the looks of it, some info was spread around, but the full title screen conundrum has not been solved yet.
As promised I'll get to looking into it. I will have to learn the whole thing from the ground up, though, as I've never really delved into title screen editing before. Looks like some good leads were posted over on the thread on slick, though, so I'm hopeful. I'll keep you posted as things progress. No clue at this point how long it'll take...

Latest Demo

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2015, 05:26:49 pm »
Awesome. I'm confident we can solve this. I've been focusing on the next update to FF VI in the meantime.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2015, 01:21:10 am »
So progress is kind of slow on the title screen front, partly because I still haven't had a lot of time to work on it, but also because I sort of am working from the ground up. I spent at least six hours today just documenting all of the routines FFIVJ runs up through the title screen so I could compare that to what FF2US does.
The differences are... Pretty significant, to say the least.

I went into more detail about it on the thread over on slick, but here's my question for you, Rodimus: If I'm not able to recreate the exact title screen from FFIVJ, would you be happy with something close?

For instance: if you watch FFIVJ's opening, it starts out with just the crystal, then the "FINAL FANTASY IV" fades in, then the "1991 SQUARE" fades in last.
Would you be satisfied if everything (including the crystal) faded in simultaneously, as long as the end result was an exact copy of that of FFIVJ?

Also, I'm not sure whether I'll be able to recreate the layering of the letters. If I had to skip the bottom layer, but you still had the flash, how would you feel about that?

Obviously, none of this is my first choice either, but I'm not positive I'll be able to recreate the exact title screen from FFIVJ, so I'm trying to gauge whether it will be worth the effort if I have to make some concessions.

So what are your thoughts?

Latest Demo

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2015, 01:46:04 am »
If a compromise was necessary but still brought in a similar result, I'm fine with that. The US version already fades it all in at once instead of in layers. Like the B button dash, it may not be flawless, but it works nontheless.

Again, chillyfeez, thanks a million for all of your help.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2015, 10:55:56 pm »

Latest Demo

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2015, 01:22:56 am »
Amazing work chillyfeez. Though to be honest, I rather not put Namingway Edition on the title screen itself. Colors are obviously the FFIV Easy Type, which I'd rather have the original colors.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 01:34:53 am by Rodimus Primal »

Duke2go

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Reconstructed
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2015, 02:41:19 am »
That looks really nice, even if the colors weren't quite to your liking  ;D

I agree with removing the Namingway Edition from the title screen, although if you could do a really nice "script" type it might work.

Have either of you ever tried your hands at an appearing crystal image for Final Fantasy 1 NES by chance? I really want to get rid of the opening text and just have the crystal and Final Fantasy Logo fade in instead. Figured I'd ask since this was a similar undertaking.

I have started playing the Namingway edition, and so far it is a really great game. Keep up the fantastic work  :beer:
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/finalfantasyreconstructed/