News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.90)  (Read 111977 times)

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.75)
« Reply #300 on: August 01, 2016, 10:11:49 pm »
Do we know what the Japanese version says there?
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 01, 2016, 10:12:43 pm »
"The mist is corrosive!! We have to wait until the dragon solidfies...!" maybe?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 01, 2016, 10:26:37 pm »
Do we know what the Japanese version says there?

Based on what current translations say:

"Attacking the mist if futile! To do so only incurs the dragon's wrath! Stay your attack until the beast reforms!"

Tomato's analysis of it, it says:

“The mist makes all attacks ineffective. If you attack, you’ll be done in by the dragon’s breath! The chance to defeat is when it shows its true form!”

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 01, 2016, 11:42:38 pm »
If it helps, one of the things I was trying to do was eliminate the need for the "omniscient narrator" who only appears in Barbariccia and the Mist Dragon's fights. I was trying to make it seem as though either Cecil or Kain were saying the line. Not taking into account the text limitations, if you wanted to preserve my change, a cursory suggestion would be, "Our attacks go straight through it! Lower your weapon until the beast reforms!"
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 02, 2016, 12:54:14 am »
If it helps, one of the things I was trying to do was eliminate the need for the "omniscient narrator" who only appears in Barbariccia and the Mist Dragon's fights. I was trying to make it seem as though either Cecil or Kain were saying the line. Not taking into account the text limitations, if you wanted to preserve my change, a cursory suggestion would be, "Our attacks go straight through it! Lower your weapon until the beast reforms!"

It sounds good but it doesn't fit in the space alloted. Plus my battle message bank is completely full. As it is the lines read like this:

The mist is scathing! - 21 characters including spaces
We have to wait until... - 19 characters with the il and ... being one each
...it turns back into a dragon! -24 characters 

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 02, 2016, 02:55:06 am »
Are we limited to 21 + 19 + 24 then?

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 02, 2016, 01:25:07 pm »
Is it realistically possible to implement a VWF? I know FFVI on SNES uses one. If such a thing on FFIV is possible, I'd be willing to whip up a FFIV text compiler, (assuming SNES pointers work like NES pointers, meaning I could just adapt my FFIII tool to FFIV) which might help with maximizing space allocation in regards to text and getting fuller battle messages in.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 02, 2016, 03:00:51 pm »
It sounds good but it doesn't fit in the space alloted. Plus my battle message bank is completely full. As it is the lines read like this:

The mist is scathing! - 21 characters including spaces
We have to wait until... - 19 characters with the il and ... being one each
...it turns back into a dragon! -24 characters 

Hmm maybe there's a way to take advantage of whatever space you freed up from moving item descriptions elsewhere? That is, if you haven't done so already.

Is it realistically possible to implement a VWF? I know FFVI on SNES uses one. If such a thing on FFIV is possible, I'd be willing to whip up a FFIV text compiler, (assuming SNES pointers work like NES pointers, meaning I could just adapt my FFIII tool to FFIV) which might help with maximizing space allocation in regards to text and getting fuller battle messages in.

I'm 80% sure it's possible. If I recall someone had started work on it, though I'm not sure how far they got. Sounds like a hella cool idea though!  :thumbsup:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 02, 2016, 03:06:13 pm »
A VWF would be immensely useful for where this project is headed.  Would Namingway even need squish tiles if one was put in?

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 02, 2016, 07:51:12 pm »
A VWF would be immensely useful for where this project is headed.  Would Namingway even need squish tiles if one was put in?
If I'm not mistaken, VWF would only solve issues related to how much text can be displayed on screen at a time, not how much space it uses in the ROM. But space is the main problem, due to the fact that an expanded ROM won't be editable with FF4kster. And if you can't edit your FFIV ROM with FF4kster, you pretty much shouldn't bother hacking FFIV.

Latest Demo

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 02, 2016, 08:00:22 pm »

Maybe. Depends on how certain things are implemented. Spells are still a major hurdle since the battle menu is limited. It would allow for a more robust script so to speak as long as there are free banks. It would also break compatibility with the current FF4 editing tool, FF4kster. The new item descriptions were done in a HEX editor since their location is now different.

August 02, 2016, 11:47:49 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I completely forgot that I can use some decent squish tiles to open up some space.

So, taking vivify93's suggestion and rewording it slightly, how does this sound:

"Hitting the mist is futile! Don't attack until the dragon reforms!" ?

Right now this fits perfectly!

August 03, 2016, 01:33:45 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Here are some screenshots!

and some more of the items:

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 01:33:45 am by Rodimus Primal »

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 03, 2016, 10:14:47 am »
I really love the new Mist Dragon text! I really appreciate how it's ambiguous too, in that it could be the random omnsicient narrator or it could be Cecil or Kain talking. So it's a great compromise. I actually think I would go back and update Project II with this new line in preparation for a new release.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 03, 2016, 05:57:10 pm »
I really love the new Mist Dragon text! I really appreciate how it's ambiguous too, in that it could be the random omnsicient narrator or it could be Cecil or Kain talking. So it's a great compromise. I actually think I would go back and update Project II with this new line in preparation for a new release.

Thanks. Feel free to use it. Since you don't use squish tiles (with the exception of il, ll, li) you will probably need to move the word futile to the second message.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.80)
« Reply #313 on: August 11, 2016, 09:58:29 am »
Version 1.80 has been submitted and approved. The extended item descriptions, the script fix for the Mist Dragon, Rydia's original starting equipment, and some item and monster name fixes have all been added.

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 11, 2016, 10:44:31 am »
Sometimes I feel like I've played FF4 so many times that I should just put Paladin on my resume.

Seems you've put in a lot of work on this, nice going...but I have to be in a certain mood to slip into FF land these days. And I have a peculiar tic about it...I like to play the series in order from 1-9, but I usually get sidetracked at some point or another and have to start over. Right now I'm about halfway through FF1. :D

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 11, 2016, 04:30:42 pm »
Sometimes I feel like I've played FF4 so many times that I should just put Paladin on my resume.

Seems you've put in a lot of work on this, nice going...but I have to be in a certain mood to slip into FF land these days. And I have a peculiar tic about it...I like to play the series in order from 1-9, but I usually get sidetracked at some point or another and have to start over. Right now I'm about halfway through FF1. :D

Maybe this time you'll make it all the way through to 9. Who knows, maybe you'll play through my version of VI.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 11, 2016, 09:45:50 pm »

Umm... Or name your internet handle after the spoony bard?

Latest Demo

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 12, 2016, 10:48:57 am »
Umm... Or name your internet handle after the spoony bard?

The Spooniest.  :thumbsup:

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 12, 2016, 09:17:31 pm »
So I've been playing through the game and something REALLY bugged me that I never liked even in original FFII. All of the words that are separated by a hyphen in the script just look and feel awkward. So I went into it and corrected every single instance where a word was split in two. Believe it or not, it actually creates a little space here and there. It allowed me to fix some script errors and do some grammar corrections. I found an instance where I didn't change Caller to Summoner and that has been fixed.

Version 1.81 is up.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 06:20:20 am by Rodimus Primal »

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.81)
« Reply #319 on: August 13, 2016, 07:32:34 am »
I'm pretty sure that was just something I did for the sake of trying to get as much real estate out of the text boxes as possible. But if you felt Namingway Edition will be bettered by removing them, you have my support. I probably wouldn't do it again if I made Project II today. :P
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 04:10:34 am by vivify93 »