News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.93)  (Read 117097 times)

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.7)
« Reply #260 on: July 14, 2016, 03:20:24 am »
I don't mind if you revert the change, for the record! It was a personal one, only done because I think it fits the narrative better to have Rydia just start off in Clothes. As was noted.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

forks67

« Reply #261 on: July 14, 2016, 09:19:07 am »
what is this Mod about

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 14, 2016, 01:45:37 pm »
what is this Mod about

It's a hack of the US version of FF4 to make it more like what it would've been if Square hadn't censored and dummied the living dogshit out of it back when it was released.

Definitely worth playing through if you've never played FF4 or haven't played it in ages. I helped restore the towns, towers, and developer's rooms' maps back to their original look and feel.  :thumbsup:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 15, 2016, 12:19:21 am »
Something that I found out recently was about Scarmiglione's second form. He has a counter attack if you cast Fire that can turn you into a Zombie. This was removed from the US FFII and I figured out how to restore it. What I'm running into now is trying to find room for what he says when he casts the spell. Space constraints are a killer.

I'm keeping the changes made to Rydia's starting equipment. It just makes sense.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 15, 2016, 06:23:53 pm »
If space were an issue I'd have undead Scarmiglione's counterattack line as something like "Breathe my zombifying gas!"

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 15, 2016, 07:31:17 pm »
I thought it inflicted Curse though... am I wrong? It's been ages since I've played the original version of FFIV.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 15, 2016, 07:49:10 pm »
I thought it inflicted Curse though... am I wrong? It's been ages since I've played the original version of FFIV.

Yeah it's Zombie that the spell inflicts. I know I said Curse before sorry.

I had just enough room to fit "Inhale my zombie gas!"

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 15, 2016, 10:44:21 pm »
Wait - FFIV doesn't have a zombie status that can be inflicted. There are monsters that are zombie type (whom cure spells and potions damage instead of heal, and are immune to certain statuses), but not a status that can be inflicted like blind or mute.
I'm nearly positive that DullSong inflicts curse status.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 15, 2016, 11:38:36 pm »
Wait - FFIV doesn't have a zombie status that can be inflicted. There are monsters that are zombie type (whom cure spells and potions damage instead of heal, and are immune to certain statuses), but not a status that can be inflicted like blind or mute.
I'm nearly positive that DullSong inflicts curse status.

I looked it over again, and you're right about FFIV not having a Zombie status. Dullsong, or Cursed Elegy as its called in later versions, actually inflicts Slow on the party. When I was looking it over on Legends of Localization he stated Curse.

The DS version is similar to Bad Breath and gives various status effects making the battle harder.

July 16, 2016, 12:23:01 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
So here he is, casting his gas counter attack!

July 18, 2016, 08:59:55 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Version 1.75 is up and ready for download.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 08:59:58 am by Rodimus Primal »

mcgeepride

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.75)
« Reply #269 on: July 26, 2016, 04:02:39 am »
I think Rydia's equipment should be as it is in the Japanese version, that is the point of this hack. It does make since because it is in the original and maybe her mother was teaching her how to fight. You should also try to add descriptions to the items that dont have any like in the fan translation. Over all this is a really good try at making an uncensored USA version. I have been following this hack as well as your other one for FF6. I already have Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition on a custom cart and want to put this on one as well but not until the Rydia thing is fixed.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 04:29:56 am by mcgeepride »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 26, 2016, 12:55:05 pm »
I don't think Namingway has the text space for descriptions.  It took a lot just to get the new counter attack quote in.  But more importantly...

I already have Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition on a custom cart and want to put this on one as well but not until the Rydia thing is fixed.
I'm sorry, but is seeing any work anyone makes here as some kind of repo (especially when flashcarts exist) supposed to be some kind of encouragement?  You can't even update TWU now, you'd need to gut another cart for a repo.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 01:27:10 pm by Chronosplit »

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 27, 2016, 04:00:29 pm »
You should also try to add descriptions to the items that dont have any like in the fan translation.
I don't think Namingway has the text space for descriptions.  It took a lot just to get the new counter attack quote in.

Latest Demo

mcgeepride

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 29, 2016, 12:12:01 am »
I know a lot of hard work went into making this hack but the whole purpose for it was to make it closer to the original Japanes version. I get that item descriptions might have space problems but that still doesnt explain why he wont revert Rydia's equipment back to the Japan one. I know some will say it is not a big deal but it is if your telling people that your hack is to make it like FF4. I remember when Grond made his FF1 nes hack he started out only fixing bugs and taking the border out of the battle scene but then started changing alot of things. The point is if your intent is to make it like the original then dont alter equipment that was in the original. Isnt that why he branched off from project ii because the creator changed alot of things and he wanted it like the orignal. I believe this because he took out the save place in the final dungeon that was added to the project ii hack. I was the one who pointed out that the wrong npc was in the Baron School and that the fiend of Earth didnt have his counterattack. I try do help the creator as much as I can to make sure he doesnt miss something, thats how much I like this hack and the FF6 one. The creator told me that there was no more bugs in TWUE so that is why I put it on a cart. If there is any new updates it will likely be things added other then bug fixes which I can careless about anyways.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:42:32 am by mcgeepride »

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 29, 2016, 09:35:13 am »
I honestly don't give a flying jabloney about rydia's starting equipment, but s/he does have a point...

Latest Demo

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 29, 2016, 09:47:05 am »
Actually, his original purpose was to match names/etc closer to the original Japanese version, hence 'Namingway", wasn't it?

(Personally, I prefer Rydia with the Project II outfit. It makes much, much more sense storywise. Though now I'm trying to picture how, in-story, she ended up with all that armor.)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 29, 2016, 10:16:35 am »
This project is not 100% exactly as the original as is TWU (see: Raiden with speed) though it strives to restore everything connected to such.  It has a B-Button dash, a new localization, and may eventually have enhanced graphics.  I think we can spare one minor detail in this case since it makes more sense for the story and character.

I wouldn't cry if it was changed though, like I said before this is really minor.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 10:41:10 am by Chronosplit »

mcgeepride

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 29, 2016, 11:14:04 am »
Why would Square give her a rod in the original... she is a magic user who is studying magic. So how does having her only wear clothes make sense to the story? I guess that is your way of explaining that you know nothing about the subject because I trust what the original creators who made the game did. Its not like they intended for her only to wear clothes and it was a flaw in the coding that caused her to have more than what they wanted, it just made sense to the story because she does use magic.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 11:47:14 am by mcgeepride »

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 29, 2016, 12:09:55 pm »
Why would Square give her a rod in the original... she is a magic user who is studying magic. So how does having her only wear clothes make sense to the story? I guess that is your way of explaining that you know nothing about the subject because I trust what the original creators who made the game did. Its not like they intended for her only to wear clothes and it was a flaw in the coding that caused her to have more than what they wanted, it just made sense to the story because she does use magic.

1) Chill. You're bordering on combative now and I would hate to see this thread get shut down over this issue which is, as previously mentioned, pretty minor.

2) Your first argument ("if the goal is to make things more like the Japanese version, then keep Rydia's equipment as-is") was much more convincing than the one where you try to reason it out. Just stick with that one.

3) If Rodimus doesn't decide to change her equipment back the way you want it, I would be more than happy to either talk you through the relatively simple process of "fixing" it, or even make a patch for you myself that would do so. The change would quite literally take all of five minutes, tops.

Latest Demo

mcgeepride

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 29, 2016, 12:34:38 pm »
The minor clothes thing really isnt nothing to trouble myself with. I wish the creator well and hope his hack is what he really wants but to caution people not to help point things out if he asks because you will be bashed for it. I know how to fix it on my own but was just trying to help. I never made a threat to anyone or tried to pick a fight but some people tried to make a issue about something harmeless. People make a post about something, but people don’t think about what the person is saying, they just read and reply, and as a result, they get the wrong idea. Then, multiple people come and BAM! flame war.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:58:03 pm by mcgeepride »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 29, 2016, 01:11:45 pm »
Why would Square give her a rod in the original... she is a magic user who is studying magic.
Actually no.  In FFIV, usually a character at Lv1 means no experience whatsoever in their job including study.  Rydia learned how to use magic in battle (thus starting with no spells at all outside of Chocobo), and the finer arts in the Feymarch (or whatever it's called nowadays).  Seeing as how in the game typical mages in training wear the usual white/black mage robe, I'd say she was not there yet.  The reason for this is as Tellah said she has great potential.

So why would Square do it?  It's a gameplay choice as with most RPGs, most likely to make things easier on a first time player.  Equipment costs money and they need to buy it, and someone can easily forget to put their pants on so to speak.

Really though, all of this has next to nothing to do with the situation at hand.

EDIT: Meh, getting rid of the second reply.  Really chillyfeez is right, if we keep going about this wheel of anger it will end in a lock or something.  This whole thing made even me go into a stupid and angry rant but really that's all it was, ranting about people being rude.  No use crying about spilt milk, back to work!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:34:21 pm by Chronosplit »