News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.90)  (Read 115587 times)

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.7)
« Reply #240 on: June 01, 2016, 12:01:55 pm »
My initial reaction to all this hoopla was literally pull the project off the internet since some think my use of squish tiles as much as I did were making the project are terrible

I have a feeling people might have conniption fits in the far off future when my hack with it's skinnier font and amount of squish tiles hits the internet. XD

Congrats on the 1.7 release man! Game plays like a champ!

Also, if you'd like (not sure if you would, being that you're going for a pure JPN version feel) I'd be happy to share some of the graphics ports I've done, like some of the stuff I've been doing with tilesets and such that could be like an addon-patch or something.

If not it's all good, just figured I'd offer.  :)
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 01, 2016, 05:21:28 pm »
As an add-on that would be awesome! The graphics work you've been doing so far looks fantastic.   

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 03, 2016, 03:06:13 pm »
Thanks for the kind words!

If you want, I could send you a copy of my project with a save file so you   can walk around see the graphics in action. If that sounds good to you let me know and I'll send it your way.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 03, 2016, 10:51:59 pm »
Sounds cool. Been super busy IRL right now but I'll check it out.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.7a)
« Reply #244 on: July 03, 2016, 10:32:56 pm »
So I've submitted an update for the Title screen add-on patch. The original bug messed up the title screen when you reset the game. Chillyfeez fixed it but I forgot to add the fix to the add-on patch. This has now been corrected and will be available as soon as it's approved.

RichterSnipes

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 12, 2016, 10:22:54 pm »
This hack appears to be just about everything I could ask for in terms of creating an experience faithful to the original Super Famicom release of the game. Thanks a lot for your work on it (as well as vivify93 on Project II)! However, in practice I'm running into an issue. I'm pretty sure the title screen isn't supposed to look like this...

I'm using the latest patch and patching to a clean, unheadered Final Fantasy II (Rev A) ROM and playing it in bsnes. Any idea what might be going on?

EDIT: Ignore the latter pictures if you saw them. I'm a FFIV n00b.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 12:46:33 am by RichterSnipes »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 12, 2016, 11:43:36 pm »
Did you make sure the ROM was without a Header? That could be causing your issue. Also, be sure to use a 1.1 version or FFII US. It's possible the ROM you have is listed as REV-A could actually be 1.0 and there are subtle differences in code. Also, make sure its in .smc file format. I know that most of the ROMs out there are .sfc now but ROM hacks tend to use .smc files as their base.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 12:07:24 am by Rodimus Primal »

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 13, 2016, 12:07:12 am »
Regarding the title screen - there was an issue we discovered that was causing this (or something similar) to happen, but I was under the impression it was fixed, so a couple of questions to clarify this one:
1) does the screen look like this upon startup, or only after a reset?
2) did you patch the "Namingway Edition with Japanese Title Screen" patch to your ROM, or did you patch the "without title screen" patch, then later patch the "title screen only" patch?
3) how recently did you download Namingway Edition? (the fix was applied to one patch a while ago, but to the other only recently)

My ROM hacking computer is too slow for bsnes, but the fix I worked on should translate properly. This issue occurs because I had originally used "blank" tiles that were only blank when using the proper palette, but under the right (or, wrong) conditions that palette sometimes gets overwritten thus causing this issue. But the fix replaced those conditionally blank tiles with actual blank tiles, so this shouldn't be happening under any circumstances.

If your answers to the questions above don't illuminate the issue for me, I may have to install bsnes on my other computer to see for myself...

Oh, also, I don't see what's wrong with that screenshot where Cecil is bombing the Floateyes...
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 13, 2016, 12:14:28 am »
Using a 1.1 .smc ROM I just tested the patch and tried it on bsnes and SNES9x and it worked fine on both. It's definitely your ROM.

RichterSnipes

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 13, 2016, 12:32:38 am »
EDIT: Applying the title screen only patch after applying the main patch w/Japanese title screen fixes the issue. I'm not sure if that's how it's intended to work, though.

Also, there was actually nothing wrong with the latter two pictures. I'm just dumb. I've never played through a Final Fantasy game to completion, but on further inspection both of them seem to be just fine.

I will now now walk away in shame... :-[

Spoiler:
I'm happy that everything seems to be working now. I'll get to checking this out soon!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 12:54:45 am by RichterSnipes »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 13, 2016, 12:52:50 am »
Oh so the (Crystal)Water you are wondering about. It is an abbreviation for Water Crystal. Same thing for (Hourglass) items. The symbol represents what it is.

So the title screen works for you now? And its after applying the add on patch to an already patched existing ROM with the Japanese title screen?

RichterSnipes

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 13, 2016, 12:57:14 am »
Oh so the (Crystal)Water you are wondering about. It is an abbreviation for Water Crystal. Same thing for (Hourglass) items. The symbol represents what it is.

So the title screen works for you now? And its after applying the add on patch to an already patched existing ROM with the Japanese title screen?

I tried to edit my other post for the umpteemth time before anyone else saw, but yeah. Now everyone knows how stupid I am and how I know next to nothing about how FFIV works. I deserve it, though, putting myself out like that and assuming that something was wrong when it was actually working as intended.

Are you supposed to have to apply the title screen only patch after the main patch? If not, I guess that's just an extra step that .sfc users will need to take. Regardless, all is well now. Thanks for putting up with my idiocy.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 13, 2016, 01:02:38 am »
Don't think that asking a question is stupid. It's how we learn.

You're not supposed to have to apply the title screen only patch to get it to work, but it's good to know. I may have to create a patch for .sfc users since it seems the file format it that much different. 

RichterSnipes

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 13, 2016, 01:07:13 am »
Don't think that asking a question is stupid. It's how we learn.

You're not supposed to have to apply the title screen only patch to get it to work, but it's good to know. I may have to create a patch for .sfc users since it seems the file format it that much different.

It's not for the question part, it's for the assumption part. Trust me, I'm plenty comfortable with asking questions. :)

Thanks anyways. At this point I'd think that the difference between the .smc and .sfc files would be due to actual differences in the files. Most of the headerless .smc files I've seen recently are just renamed .sfc files. I guess this hack is based on an "OG" .smc file or something?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 13, 2016, 12:02:40 pm »
When SNES games were first dumped and distributed they used a device called the Super Magicom. It saved files as .smc files. Recently and I don't know if it was byuu or not, .sfc files began to take over. To my understanding, FFIV hacks are based on FFIIUS 1.1.smc ROMs. It would seem the distribution of where people have been getting ROMs from has been in the newer format though.

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 13, 2016, 12:33:00 pm »
There is no difference between "smc" and "sfc" roms other than extension. None should have a header, ideally.
Other than for purity's sake: "sfc" for Super Famicom japanese titles or "snes" for western Super Nintendo titles, extensions mean nothing.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 13, 2016, 09:26:25 pm »
When SNES games were first dumped and distributed they used a device called the Super Magicom. It saved files as .smc files. Recently and I don't know if it was byuu or not, .sfc files began to take over. To my understanding, FFIV hacks are based on FFIIUS 1.1.smc ROMs. It would seem the distribution of where people have been getting ROMs from has been in the newer format though.

Yeah it was thanks to byuu that SFC files took over, because bsnes originally read SFC files only

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 13, 2016, 10:03:14 pm »
So I ran some tests to make sure there wasn't a glitch somewhere using both types of files. While I didn't find any errors, I applied the Project II title Screen patch onto them and then the title screen only add on. I'm going to create a new patch out of this to ensure there aren't any errors.

Also, there is a leftover from Project II with Rydia. In all other versions of FFIV, Rydia comes with basic equipment which you might question why if she was just a little girl. So vivify93 chose to only equip her with clothes since you have to buy her equipment in Kaipo anyway. I've left that in Namingway Edition unaltered and was wondering if anyone objected to that change. If so, I will change it in the next revision.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 14, 2016, 01:12:55 am »
Makes sense, good change.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 14, 2016, 01:23:53 am »
This makes sense in a continuity sort of way, I'd say keep the altered equipment.  You don't really get in a fight with her before Kaipo anyway so running around without a weapon isn't really much of an issue in this case.