Ok, I've got a fix for the title screen reset bug.
In case anyone's wondering, there's an interesting story to tell about it...
So, first of all, this problem exists when playing the ROM on snes9x v5.3, but for some reason not on Geiger's snes9x debugger, which is built on v5.1. Not quite sure why that is...
So the first thing I tried to do was, as planned, initialize RAM when the game loads... Except I discovered pretty soon that the ROM does
, in fact, do this already.
So then I tried to figure out how to initialize VRAM. It turned out that figuring out how to do that would take quite a while...
So, I did a bit of experimenting to try to figure out why these odd tiles were appearing at all. First step, look at the tile layout in ROM.
Well, that was about as far as I needed to go. Turns out the tile I was using as a "blank space," 01 3B, isn't actually a blank space at all. Well, that was clearly silly of me, as the tile screen data contains loads
of blank spaces that I could
have used. So, I replaced every instance of "3B 01" in the title screen layout (between 46000 and 467FF) with "64 00," because tile 00 64 actually is
a blank space.
Tested it out in snes9x v5.3 and voila! Works like a charm!
So, anyway...here's the patch
Apply to an unheadered copy of Namingway Edition v1.6
Knowing what I know now, I still don't know why the weirdness doesn't appear on all emulators right from the get-go...