News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: FF4 SNES graphics editing with YY-CHR / Tile Layer Pro  (Read 3249 times)

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
FF4 SNES graphics editing with YY-CHR / Tile Layer Pro
« on: February 08, 2015, 05:59:47 pm »
I want to change Dark Knight Cecil's overworld and in-battle graphics to more resemble his character portrait and not look like an armored-fish-man. 

I also want to change up some of the other  main characters, like Kain's overworld/in-battle graphics, Edward's overworld sprite, and change the palettes of the Underworld/Moon overworld graphics, and the graphic of the moon when you view it through the telescope in Agart.

The thing is, I'm new to YY-CHR and I can't really tell where the hell anything is. I found some of the title screen graphics, but other than that I'm mostly swimming in a sea of pixels. X_X.

So I was wondering if anyone cold point me in the direction to some info about the graphics, perhaps some pointers with the program I'm using, or if maybe a different graphics editor could help make my search a little easier. Thank you.  :)

*UPDATE 2/13/2015*

After switching to Tile Layer Pro for it's tile arranger and palettes that are easier on my eyes, as well as five hours of messing around, I bring you all a screenshot of my blood, sweat, and tears - Character Portrait Cecil.

Normal, untouched character portrait

Now with a sprite that resembles it.  :D

Facing Down

Waving out

Facing Up

Bowing Head

Wave In

Sideview

Walking

Wounded/ Knocked Out

At some point I want to work on the sideview and knocked out poses a little more,  but all in all it looks pretty great ingame.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also for gits and shiggles, here's a couple pics from the WIP progress stages:

1: Normal Cecil with horns

Normal Cecil with horns Sideview

Cecil looks kind of cool, but as my friend pointed out,  looks strikingly like the Warrior of Light from FF1.

"Dented Can-Head" Cecil

First attempt of the Sideview edit. Looking at this makes me think he was hit in the face with a sledgehammer. BAM!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel pretty satisfied with this, being my first graphics edit and all. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 08:16:56 pm by Bahamut ZERO »
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: FF4 SNES graphics editing with YY-CHR
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 08:38:02 pm »
You may need to switch to 3BPP SNES mode. I'm pretty sure the graphics like the ones you are looking for don't take full advantage of the available colors so if you're searching in 4BPP SNES mode you may not see them.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Re: FF4 SNES graphics editing with YY-CHR
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 03:55:08 pm »
Thank you! I haven't figured out where the overworld sprites are, but now I can recognize monsters, some spell effects, etc. I still feel like I'm fumbling around in the dark a bit, but you just gave me the stick I need to poke around.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Re: FF4 SNES graphics editing with YY-CHR / Tile Layer Pro
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 10:50:33 pm »
That's not bad at all! It makes him look very imposing though, likely more than they ever intended him to. (Though Amano's Dark Knight artwork gives him a rather frightening mask.

I think the DS version hit a good balance and kept it close to the representation from the the SNES Sprite.

But since you are going with just making portraits look more in line with the character, I'd say it's spot on.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 11:36:25 pm »
Not bad at all. It does sort of make sense for Cecil's Dark Knight armor to be more imposing. It would create more of a contrast with the Paladin. Besides, it's just armor - the whole point of the first part of the story is that he's a good guy underneath and despite his dark armor.

I always look to this thread on slick productions for sprite and palette offsets.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 11:33:10 pm »
Looks cool. Do you have a side view of the sprite?

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 08:26:00 pm »
Original post updated with screens of each pose, as well as a couple at the end from while I was working on it.

February 20, 2015, 03:57:14 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I've been trying to find  a size that works with Milon outside of his special size that binds his sprite to the lower left of the Battle Bg.

I want to use his sprite as a normal enemy type/family so I can have some actual enemies that go with the hooded evil guy sprites that are used all the time for battle events (like one representing a Sahagin trying to bugger Edward in the middle of the night, or the ENITIRE defending Fabul event) I figure colored Milons with a monster or two would make much more sense than "Oh shit that cloaked guy's a Gargoyle! Don't let him bugger Edward in the Throne room!"

Which means I either A) have to try some different special sizes and see what happens, or B) have to take out one of the other monster's sprites that are about the same size as Milon so I could copy his tiles over the said monster with TLP.

With that question in mind I ask you guys: What monster (family) would you not miss in FF4 if I were to use to make Milon's sprite a normal enemy?

Which also raises a different possibility: If instead of me nixing one of the other enemies, I could find one about Milon's size I could swap places with.

Hmm I wonder what random monster Milon's size would fit with the zombies during the first boss fight on Mt. Ordeals AND make senes with his second form, Milon Z? I'm definately up for suggestions on that.

In other news, fixed up Cecil's sideview sprite some more, as it looked like he was sticking his head out and it looked wonky as hell. Now all it needs is a couple pixels near the shoulder fixed and I'll feel comfortable with it.

Yang's overworld sprites have been recolored so he doesn't look like a nudist monk. Ironicly his outfit turned out looking a lot like Goku's from DBZ due to his pallette. For now I'll hold off on pics as I want it to be more of a surprise. ;)

As far as Cecil and Yang's Battle sprites - might take longer than expected. The battle sprite are 6 tiles  (I think) so it's a little more confusing. I might take a look at them in YY-CHR in a bit and see if I have a better time with that.

Speaking of YY-CHR: Does it have a tile arranger like TLP?  And can I switch up the colors in the palettes used in the editor? 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 03:57:14 pm by Bahamut ZERO »