News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Pokemon Classic Edition and Open World Hack (Yellow Version Hacks)  (Read 6024 times)

Q

• View Profile
Hey, folks!

I decided to revive this project. If you missed it the first time around, this is my attempt at optimizing the first generation Pokemon game for a single player experience. This time, I'm using Pokemon Yellow instead of Red! See below for a list of features. Just a note: I've tested everything to the point that I'm pretty confident everything works the way I intended. However, I haven't played through the entire game yet, so there could still be bugs. Please report them here if you find any!

I made these modifications using special Pokemon hacking utilities. Apparently there's been a disassembly of Pokemon Yellow since I originally started hacking the game. At some point I plan to read up on the disassembly so that I can modify the game more extensively. Until then, the main patch is complete!

You can find all the patches and spoiler files here. To play, use “Pokemon Yellow - Classic Edition (Final Beta).ips” on a clean copy of Pokemon Yellow. The other three patches are optional and can be applied in any order. There's also a folder of "quick start saves" that will allow you to skip the beginning of the game and the Oak's Parcel fetch quest. There are also quick saves that let you start with a Mew and some other fun stuff. Enjoy!

Enhanced graphics – This hack incorporates Danny-E 33's Gen. II Graphics patch, which improves the color palettes and replaces many of the sprites with second generation Pokemon graphics (see here for more details). It looks great on both Super Game Boy and Game Boy Color.

150 Pokemon available – You can obtain the first 150 Pokemon without using glitches or cheating devices. All wild Pokemon locations have been taken from the Red, Green (Blue in North America), Blue (Japanese exclusive), and Yellow versions. With a few exceptions, if you could catch a Pokemon somewhere in one of these versions, you will be able to catch that Pokemon there. This means you'll find much more variety in each location than in the original versions.

In-game trades and Game Corner prizes have also been changed to provide access to all Pokemon.

I generally tried to give players access to each Pokemon at the lowest level it was available at in the original games (to ensure eligibility in the Pika Cup), but there are a number of exceptions.

The Pokemon found at surfing and fishing locations have not been changed.

See “Pokemon location spoilers.txt” for Pokemon locations.

More TMs available – In the original Pokemon games, most TMs were one-of-a-kind, so building the perfect team would often require trading Pokemon between games. In this hack, it's possible to get multiple copies of most TMs. Most are available in PokeMarts. Gym leaders now give 12 copies of their TMs. If you don't need the extra copies, sell them and buy TMs you do need.

PP Ups and Rare Candies are also available at the Indigo Plateau PokeMart.

See “PokeMart spoilers.txt” for PokeMart inventories.

Gym Leaders tweaked – Erika, Koga, and Sabrina now have Pokemon lineups that more closely match their original Red/Blue lineups.

Optional patches – I also created a few optional patches:
* Pikachu starts the game with Surf – This will let you play the Surfing Pikachu mini-game!
* Open World hack – This makes the game nonlinear! Check out “Open World spoilers.txt” for details, or play it blind and surprise yourself.
* Rival starts with Mew – Just for fun.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 09:03:18 pm by Q »

Dogeritos

• Dogeritos r kewl
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel (Don't Go There... Pretty Bad)
Re: Pokemon Red - Single-player Edition
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 09:01:40 pm »
This is sounding like a pretty cool hack, especially since you don't have to do any trade to catch 'em all! :D Can't wait to see this hack be completed.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:27:42 pm by Dogeritos »
So nacho
Much cheese
Wow
Dogeritos

Cavery210

• View Profile
Re: Pokemon Red - Single-player Edition
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 09:44:28 am »
I'd actually do a rewrite of the script. The script is rather dry and hasn't aged well. I'd make it like it was localized around 2013, not 1998.

Q

• View Profile
Re: Pokemon Classic
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 02:14:10 pm »
I more or less finished this patch quite a while ago, but never got around to releasing it because of a couple issues I couldn't figure out. I tried to implement all the evolve-on-trade Pokemon by having them evolve after being traded to the player during in-game trades. However, for some reason, the only one that actually worked right was Graveler evolving into Golem.

With the release of Pokemon Go, I figured I'd make a few quick changes and release the patch. I changed the other three evolve-on-trade Pokemon to simply already be evolved when you receive them. The original post has been updated with the link to the patch.

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 10:33:48 pm »
Sweet, thanks for doing this
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 10:42:41 pm »
Ah, I was wondering when someone would come along and do similar to what I was doing for the originals. I was considering doing something like this with a drunk old man restoration (does the colorization color Jynx black?) and some minor enemy moveset fixes like the last rival battle, but I never got around to it.  :D

Thanks for this!  By the way, what did you do with the stones?  If I recall there aren't really enough moon stones in one game for everyone.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 10:56:27 pm by Chronosplit »

Q

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 10:55:05 pm »
By the way, what did you do with the stones?  If I recall there aren't really enough moon stones in one game for everyone.

Spoiler:
Moon Stones, Helix Fossils, and Dome Fossils are available as Game Corner prizes. The TMs they replaced can be bought at the Poke Mart in Lavender Town.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:22:47 am by Q »

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 12:49:34 am »
This sounds like this will be a cool hack, will the encounters with Jesse and James from Yellow be included in your hack?

Q

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 11:50:58 am »
This sounds like this will be a cool hack, will the encounters with Jesse and James from Yellow be included in your hack?

No, there are no changes to the text or events. At some point, I might put together a patch for Pokemon Yellow if I get a chance, though.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 02:11:21 pm »
I'm definitely going to be playing the GBC Gen II version of this! Been wanting to replay the original lately, and that sounds like a kickass way of way of doing so!

Here's hoping my caveman internetz likes dropbox today.  :D
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 06:29:40 pm »
If someone was using the base patch, and someone else was using the color patch, would they be able to trade Pokemon alright?

Also are there other differences in the Japanese versions of green and blue besides text?
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 06:42:35 pm »
If someone was using the base patch, and someone else was using the color patch, would they be able to trade Pokemon alright?
I'm pretty confident that graphic changes have no bearing on trading.  At least it didn't with Gen 3, anyway.

Also are there other differences in the Japanese versions of green and blue besides text?
There's a few.  Added bugs like the hilarious door glitch, sprite differences, Pokemon locations, some other stuff.  There's most likely a much more detailed rundown in Bulbapedia or somewhere.

There's a translation patch here of it, but unfortunately it more-or-less tries to transplant the official text in with no fixes and it's extremely condensed.  Due to that it also censors itself.

Q

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 09:05:13 pm »

I haven't tested it, but I'm pretty sure they would.

There's an explanation here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Blue_Version_(Japanese)

Basically, in Japan, Red and Green were released first. Blue was an updated version with a number of improvements and a different set of Pokemon. In America, the Red and Blue versions were based on the Japanese Blue version, but the Pokemon featured in each game was based on the Japanese Red and Green versions.

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 12:17:10 pm »
Read through your Pokémon locations document. Wow, really nice. Seems like a very natural and balanced location breakdown for species and levels. As if the game was a never split into two versions to begin with. A nice standlone for nostalgia.

Have you considered a Yellow-version variation for this (for those who like the sprites, colours, Charizard with Fly, Stereo music, etc.)? Or eventually Crystal?

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 12:22:10 pm »
Seems my caveman internets hates dropbox with an unholy passion. Oh well, hopefully you deem it worthy of uploading to the site so I can try it out proper one day.   ;)
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Q

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 04:04:13 pm »
Hey, all! Please re-read the first post for an update!

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
Re: Pokemon Classic (Yellow Version Hack)
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 02:21:35 am »
Oh this is pretty rad! How does the player get multiple Eevee's in this one if I may ask?

Q

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2018, 10:19:22 am »
Oh this is pretty rad! How does the player get multiple Eevee's in this one if I may ask?
Spoiler:
You can get extra Eevees as prizes at the Game Corner. There's a text file with all the spoilers if you check the link in the fist post.

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 01:52:48 am »
Doh! I didn't see the link, sorry! That's a solid solution though!

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
Re: Pokemon Classic Edition and Open World Hack (Yellow Version Hacks)
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 06:09:06 pm »
Any documentation for your Boss Challenge and the Gym Leader tweaks? Your documentation for the Marts and Locations are very thorough and informative!