Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

So, what do you think of this idea?

Yay
2 (100%)
Nay
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Concept of a new Megaman 2 hack - MEGAMAN II ARCADE  (Read 1901 times)

RetroRain

• View Profile
Concept of a new Megaman 2 hack - MEGAMAN II ARCADE
« on: February 07, 2015, 01:03:38 am »

(concept mockup screens)

I thought of a really cool concept for a new Megaman 2 hack, which I'm thinking about making.  I really want to make a complete Megaman hack (new levels/graphics, asm, music, etc.), but before I go back to doing that, I was thinking about doing a cool Arcade-ish hack that probably wouldn't take as much time as a complete hack would.  It would put a different spin on an already great game! :D

The hack is called Mega Man II Arcade.  Here are some of the changes that would be done:

• Change title screen.  Add the words ARCADE, remove the easy mode, change the difficult mode to "Insert Coin".

• Remove NEW GAME and PASSWORD screen.  After pressing start on the titlescreen, it takes you directly to the stage select screen.

• Levels are different, but use the same palettes and graphics.  Enemies are more plentiful.  Killing enemies gives you points.

• Adding a score at the top of the screen, just like in Megaman 1.

• Add a High score table that shows up when you get Game Over.  You can type your name in a list, which shows the high scores, and saves them to SaveRAM.

• The Game Over and Get Weapon screen has no password option.  There is no password or saving in the game.  Just the high scores get saved.

• Game Over screen instead says Insert Coin, and has a timer that counts down.  If you don't press start before then, it takes you back to the startup screen.

• Completely Redone Get Weapon screen.

• Bosses have new behaviors.

Feel free to weigh in.  Do you think this is a good idea?  Would you be interested in a hack like this?  If you think this is a good idea, do you have any other suggestions or ideas?  I would love to hear what you think! :)

~RetroRain

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
Re: Concept of a new Megaman 2 hack - MEGAMAN II ARCADE
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 03:52:36 pm »
The Insert Coin concept seems gimmicky. Nothing other than the score seems arcade-y, actually.

I think better changes to make it more arcade like would be one-hit kills, via Metal Slug or Contra and instant respawning until out of lives.

Also, it'd probably be a good idea to merge this topic in with Hack Ideas.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 08:09:27 pm »
How about a timer? A majority of arcade games have one. Even Gradius has one, in which the boss automatically dies if you take too long, and you progress regardless.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 05:47:56 pm »
The insert coin is kinda silly sounding for an NES game unless you're going to make it into an actual Vs. or PlayChoice10 game.
Everything else sounds good and I like the idea of having live and instant re-spawn.
However, instead of instant kills just increase damage from enemies.

omega_rugal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 10:48:46 pm »
If you are up to it, just do it.
Done your packing?, your life journey is over...