(concept mockup screens)
I thought of a really cool concept for a new Megaman 2 hack, which I'm thinking about making. I really want to make a complete Megaman hack (new levels/graphics, asm, music, etc.), but before I go back to doing that, I was thinking about doing a cool Arcade-ish hack that probably wouldn't take as much time as a complete hack would. It would put a different spin on an already great game!
The hack is called Mega Man II Arcade. Here are some of the changes that would be done:
• Change title screen. Add the words ARCADE, remove the easy mode, change the difficult mode to "Insert Coin".
• Remove NEW GAME and PASSWORD screen. After pressing start on the titlescreen, it takes you directly to the stage select screen.
• Levels are different, but use the same palettes and graphics. Enemies are more plentiful. Killing enemies gives you points.
• Adding a score at the top of the screen, just like in Megaman 1.
• Add a High score table that shows up when you get Game Over. You can type your name in a list, which shows the high scores, and saves them to SaveRAM.
• The Game Over and Get Weapon screen has no password option. There is no password or saving in the game. Just the high scores get saved.
• Game Over screen instead says Insert Coin, and has a timer that counts down. If you don't press start before then, it takes you back to the startup screen.
• Completely Redone Get Weapon screen.
• Bosses have new behaviors.
Feel free to weigh in. Do you think this is a good idea? Would you be interested in a hack like this? If you think this is a good idea, do you have any other suggestions or ideas? I would love to hear what you think!