News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy V: Legend of the Crystals updates  (Read 17378 times)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy V: Legend of the Crystals updates
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2015, 11:31:16 pm »
Jackanapes sounds cooler, IMO. Are you going for a more modern naming of things (which is usually true to the original Japanese) or are you straight going for Japanese even if its been localized differently?

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2015, 12:13:29 am »
Actually, I was just going for what you were doing with Namingway, and trying to get the full names whenever possible. Jackanapes was the kind of name I was looking for, as well as things like 'Zok' instead of 'Zokk', etc. 

I think I'm about 90 percent done. Just need to sort through the item list and monster lists.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2015, 07:58:22 am »
I'd say to use the modern names.

February 13, 2015, 01:24:01 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I think I'm about 90 percent done. Just need to sort through the item list and monster lists.
I assume by "item" you are including weapons and armor, because a lot of those names are quite different.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:24:01 pm by Chrysologus »

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2015, 11:12:33 am »
I am. Feel free to mark those off or PM me and I'll give you a list.

Also, what is a Gajra Gajri?

Anyone willing to go over the magic spells and switch them to modern too?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 11:46:17 am by Digitsie »

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2015, 11:37:46 am »
Working from the new version, some things have actually gotten worse. Most egregiously, the word Black is now Blck!!! The job BlackMage is now BlckMage, for instance, and Black magic is Blck magic. Item on the menu now uses a squishy tile, so it looks weird. Ditto with White on the spell menu. The "it" digraph is now being used unnecessarily with Antidote, Potion, Hi-Potion, etc. The "ir" digraph is being used unnecessarily with Elixir, Fire Rod, etc. It makes them look bad, in my opinion. Also, was the "il" digraph always being used on everything? I'm thinking it wasn't. It's not needed for Mythril, Silver, Flail, Elixir, etc.

It's nice to see Summn instead of Eidln, though, and Trainer instead of Mediator (?!).

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2015, 01:16:56 pm »
Had a similar problem with the speech section, had to fix that. Will discuss, as it looks like the menus are using those tiles a lot more intensively.

While we're fixing that, I'm going to fix up the monster and item names as well - any recommendations? I want to keep things simple and fitting with the limits before trying to expand the menus to see if we can fit longer names in. It'll require a major hack menu fix, so I want to keep as many things simple as possible (i.e. within the current limits) for now before diving into that.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 01:45:37 pm by Digitsie »

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2015, 02:48:46 pm »
Since you originally told me to hold off on monster names, I haven't really been paying attention, so I can't say I have any suggestions or anything. I'll have to do them as I see them in my playthrough, I'm afraid.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2015, 03:16:43 pm »
No prob. I can get you a list of item, spell, and monster names instead, if that works.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2015, 03:29:00 pm »
Sure. I'll take a look.

February 15, 2015, 08:28:45 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I'll add suggestions to this post.

Weapons
Ogre Axe > Ogrekillr
VenomAxe > Poison
Earth > Gaia
Thor > Thor's
Giyaman > Diamond
EarthBell > Gaia Bell
Tinker > Tinkle
Full Moon > Moonring
TwoLance > Twin
Antimagic > Rune Bow
Silver > SilverBow
Fire Bow > FlameBow
Ice Bow > FrostBow
Gale Bow > Hayate
Aviskillr > AevisKill
Yoichi > Yoichi's

This will take forever.... I'm just comparing them to the lists on the Final Fantasy Wikia. http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Final_Fantasy_V_Weapons, etc.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:28:14 pm by Chrysologus »

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2015, 12:20:09 am »
I -think- some of the il and ir occupies one spot, hence counting to 8...

Oh. I see why you went with Ogrekillr in that case then. Dang. That would've slipped under my radar when thinking about it.  Let's see if we can fix the il/ir/etc issues.

Also I don't know if Yoichi's is doable - that's a fixed length table, so I'd have to count the bytes.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 01:01:35 am by Digitsie »

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2015, 11:18:37 am »
32) During Bartz's childhood flashback, when he's on the roof, there's a vertical bar (|) between two ellipses.

33) On the new steamship, one of the text boxes is spaced wrong: it looks like this:

... Then, what the heck is that
ship
 over there?

34) Then after the battle with Cray Claw, the text is off again. There's a line break before "Earth Crystal!" which appears on the third line without an indent.

I've also encountered some graphical glitching. During the childhood flashback in his room, the outline of the text box had some weirdness. And now, when they encounter king Tycoon in the ancient ruins, where the word "F... ... ather..." is, there's a white square blocking the t (except the left bar) and the left side of the h. On the new steamship, the word "it's" has two dots overlapping the "it" digraph.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:43:28 am by Chrysologus »

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2015, 12:25:48 pm »
I think I fixed those, but if you have savepoints I want to check against my copy.

I also need a quote for Bartz's childhood flashback to find the area.

February 16, 2015, 06:54:53 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
FYI, if you have any interest in hacking the FFV rom and fixing up graphical bugs:

http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?topic=2013.0
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 06:54:53 pm by Digitsie »

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2015, 09:07:50 pm »
35) Bartz says "We've got to hurry to the flying ruins", etc., and at the end of the sentence there's a rogue comma after the exclamation point.

FYI, if you have any interest in hacking the FFV rom
I know nothing about ROM hacking! :)

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2015, 10:02:31 pm »
 ok, yeah, I -did- fix that. So now I just have to figure out if the previous ones were already fixed (and whether the fixes took care of the graphical glitches, though I suspect once I get the speech infused to a clean rom, it should be ok.)

February 17, 2015, 05:49:15 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok so right now, there are two tables in the FFV - the 1bpp and the 2bpp.

The 1bpp (used for speech and such) don't have those weird double-letter tiles bothering me. The 2bpp does, and I have no way of identifying with the current version of the editor whether two-letter tiles are being used or two letter tiles when exporting.

Going to sort out the issue with the editor's creator and see if we can figure out how to identify them for purpose of editing items/spells/armors.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 05:49:15 pm by Digitsie »

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2015, 11:29:18 pm »
Okay, so I'm using the ROM that only changes dialogue, so none of those other bugs. There's still another graphical glitch: when Galuf speaks on the airship saying "Exdeath was an evil wizard", etc. The four corners of the textbox (except the bottom-right) have a little blue rectangle over them. The glitch recurs throughout the dialogue between him and Bartz. Obviously I have no idea what the problem is, and maybe it's in the original RPGe ROM.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2015, 02:18:44 pm »
That's a result of the entry being a bit bigger than it should be, probably because of an invisible space somewhere.

If you can locate the other one (the Bartz flashback) with a quote, I can probably fix that as well.

February 18, 2015, 02:42:14 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
That's a result of the entry being a bit bigger than it should be, probably because of an invisible space somewhere.

If you can locate the other one (the Bartz flashback) with a quote, I can probably fix that as well. If you run into these things, get me a full sentence, not something that's too difficult to find (lI can't, for example, locate your 'it's' abaoard the airship because I have no way of identifyng -where- a scene is...)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:42:14 pm by Digitsie »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2015, 11:47:12 pm »
I'm willing to give you guys some help with the naming of stuff, once I get FF4 Namingway Edition finished. Go ahead and change what you plan to, but I'll give input where I can.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:28:03 am by Rodimus Primal »

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2015, 11:39:05 pm »
Are you good at manipulating 2BPP tables about? Because I suck at it.

I'm trying to focus on ironing out the speech stuff, but am juggling home repairs with this stuff, so I'll be slow. I went and edited the whole thing, and now I'm trying to play it bit by bit to see if I caught everything.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2015, 11:19:57 pm »
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there's a glitch I consistently experience now in Galuf's ability menu where the abilities at the bottom of the list are duplicated in all lines below it, except for the first letter of each. So, for example, if Dash and Passages are the bottom two abilities on his menu list, below that it says on every line " ash" and " assages". You can't select them, it's just a visual glitch.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2015, 09:05:46 am »
I'll check with the editor on this.