News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy V: Legend of the Crystals updates  (Read 17376 times)

Chrysologus

• View Profile
Final Fantasy V: Legend of the Crystals updates
« on: February 05, 2015, 12:20:14 am »
Final Fantasy V deserves the love that Final Fantasy IV and VI have gotten (doesn't it?). This is a place for anyone to post suggestions for improvements to Spooniest's Legend of the Crystals patch (which smooths out some of the rough edges of the RPGe translation), to be implemented by Digitsie. The end-goal would be to combine this with the other fix-up patches out there to create a single restoration patch to provide the ultimate FF V SNES experience. The goal isn't to change the game.

I'm playing through the game now, so I'll post about any typos I find, awkward dialogue, inconsistent names, etc., or other suggestions I have. I invite others to do the same! It'll be Digitsie's call for what he actually wants to do since he's the one planning to do this.

For reference, there's a webpage that shows the translations and Japanese for all the game's terms, names, items, etc.: http://kumiho.aerdan.org/translations/ff5.html.

Here are my first few suggestions.

1) Bartz tells Lenna, "My dad... He said for me to travel the world and see things..." That's grammatically possible, but oddly expressed. It should be corrected to "He told me." Or! It could be punched up to the GBA's colorful "Yeah! You know, it was my dad's dying wish that I go out and travel the world." I'm not suggesting that the GBA translation override the old one (that would be bad), but where there are typos or oddities to fix, it could be an opportunity to pop in a few sayings.

2) I hope I'm not stepping on Spooniest's toes by saying that I think the change to the line about Bartz being "hard up" is not an improvement over RPGe's "Say what you want, but isn't the truth that you just want to be with this girl?" The problem with the "hard up" line is that (besides being very colloquial) it's not that Bartz is sexually desperate (which is what "hard up" means), but that he's attracted to Lenna. The GBA here has a great line: "What a sweet-talker! As if you don't have the hots for the little missy." I'd argue for changing it back to what RPGe had or inserting the nice GBA line.

3) I'd love to see "Wounded" changed to "KO'd," which is still in usage and has great nostalgic feel!

4) Chocobos say "Kweh" now. Probably too trivial to change.

5) A typo: Bartz tells his Chocobo: "Boco, it's dangerous ahead. You've got stay back here." Obviously that's supposed to have a "to" in it. But let's go deeper! The GBA has: "Boko, I think this is gonna be a little too dangerous for chocobos. You stay here, okay?" That sounds good.

6) Boco should become Boko? Probably too trivial.

7) Is changing enemy names possible? Because if it is, Dearo could become Devil Crab (using the il digraph so it's only 9 characters, which appears to be the maximum)!

That's as far as I've got so far.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 12:30:50 am by Chrysologus »

Digitsie

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy V: Legend of the Crystals updates
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 12:27:06 am »
Well, I'm grabbing a few other patches to add to Legend of the Crystals and see if we can add a few other things... it's still a work in progress. I'll have to get familiar with the editor to implement the changes. Thanks!

Found 1), went with 'he told me'
Found 2), made the change to GBA.
Looking at things, changed Boco to Boko (at least in text.)

Wounded changed to KO'd (when you see healing spring), but I don't know where it is in status/etc. Does this show up in the menu when someone's KO'd? If so, I'll check around.

Kweh seems right.

I'll have to ask noisecross about the monster names.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 01:06:40 am by Digitsie »

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 01:20:43 am »
Cool! Three more:

8) In Feris's pirate-speak, she first says "you," then "ye" when addressing Lenna. "Ye" is plural, so it should only be "you" when addressing a single person. (Assuming pirates speak in old-fashioned English...)

9) The crystal says "Black Belt" even though the job has been (correctly) renamed Monk.

10) If we are doing monster names and prefer modern conventions, then (for whatever reason) Mold Wind now goes by the exotic-looking Moldwynd. I do like the modern names, but I could definitely see leaving it be.

Wounded changed to KO'd (when you see healing spring), but I don't know where it is in status/etc. Does this show up in the menu when someone's KO'd?
I don't have the answer to that yet, but I assume so. Also I realize now that the single-quotation mark to the left of the spring's message about "Wounded" is the wrong one. (Shows a closed mark when it should be an open one.)

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 01:24:56 am »
BTW, keep an eye out for this:

(From Spooniest)I have not submitted any updates since the last post. I don't mind it being "Pure," but I did find a typo wherein the first scene with Sage Guido after the re-merging of the worlds has a line from Lenna, who does not appear in the scene.

---

I still can't find that yet so far.

I will poke at this tomorrow, tired. Thanks!

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 09:29:33 am »
It kills me every time when someone calls Butz Bartz.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 10:53:59 am »
It kills me every time when someone calls Butz Bartz.

I always called him Bartz but then again it's like Godzilla and Gojira. Both are correct. Internationally and presently it's Bartz.

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 06:39:29 pm »
Dunno.. I think 'Boco' is better. True, it's written as 'Boko' in Japanese, but that's because it's playing around with the Japanese characters spelling Cho-Ko-Bo, thus Bo-Ko/Boko.

However, seeing as the English spelling is Chocobo, I feel like Boco more accurately carries that meaning and makes it clearer where the name comes from.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 07:39:26 pm »
Well I want it to be like Namingway/Ted Woolsey's version, so I'll probably poke Rodimus Primal and get his thoughts.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 11:18:44 pm »
11) On the spell menu, I think Summn might work better than Eidln. Eidln is nearly inscrutable.

12) A guy in Tule near the entrance says "With a machine amplifying the Wind Crystal's energy, we're now we're able to send boats to very far off places!" Obviously that second "we're" shouldn't be there. I'd also add a hyphen to connect 'far' and 'off.'

13) A guy in the Beginner's House in Tule says "if you're ever to be killed." That's odd. How about "if you're ever killed".

14) Guy on upstairs Beginner's House has wrong quotation mark before Blue Magic the second time it appears.

15) Scan should be Libra!

16) When you depart Tule, the pirates say "Captain!..." Probably should be "Captain...!"
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:46:12 pm by Chrysologus »

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 12:40:48 am »
I always called him Bartz but then again it's like Godzilla and Gojira. Both are correct. Internationally and presently it's Bartz.

They're both mistranslations.
In the summer of 1994 in between my freshman and sophomore years of HS, I had the privilege of going to Japan for a one month exchange program through my school. I lived with a Japanese family with a son and daughter both about my age. My host brother had a super Famicom, and the two coolest things about that fact were that I got to play ffiv a few months before it hit the US, and I got to play FFV, which wouldn't have an official US release for a very long time.
Anyway, obviously these games were in Japanese, and I don't speak Japanese (by buying the Japanese versions of FF IV, V and VI while I was there I got pretty well acclimated to Katakana though), and my host brother spoke very little English, but we were both video game geeks, so we got along famously. So he wasn't able to translate much of the game for me as we played, because he didn't know much English, but he did tell me all the characters' names, and he very specifically told me that the main character's name was "Butch."
Butch, Bartz and Butz all write out the same in Katakana, because they all contain some phonemes that don't really exist in Japanese... but a Japanese kid told me that "Butch" is how those particular kana are generally interpreted. Makes sense, too - Of the three choices there, which one actually is a real name?

I don't have anything vested in the outcome of this project, so do what you will with the name, it's fine with me... But know that it's Butch  ;)
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

furrykef

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 01:27:08 am »
I'd expect "Butch" to be written ブッチ (Bucchi) in katakana, though, and that seems to be the form generally used for the name Butch. Butch Cassidy, for instance, is written this way, as is the character Butch from Pulp Fiction. Butz/Bartz is written バッツ (Battsu).

EDIT: I had it wrong at first (I gave "Butch" as "Bacchi" rather than "Bucchi"). Fixed now.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:37:31 am by furrykef »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 01:49:40 am »
Interesting. So how is it actually written in Japanese? Bucchi or Battsu?

Still, I kind of like the name Bartz specifically in English. It's like how some people are with FFVI with Terra (Tina), Sabin (Mash) , and Kefka (Cefka). That and Charlie (Nash) in Street Fighter, which is kind of funny because Nash is now officially Charlie's last name in some SF fiction.
It's really amazing how some people get with international names. Nowadays I bet no one really knows Sonic's enemy other than Eggman when growing up I knew him as Dr Robotnik. Or how Princess Peach was known only as Princess Toadstool. I wouldn't put it past folks to demand that Goombas be called Kuribo from now on. 

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 01:51:20 am »
Well, the disclaimer on that was that my experience with katakana comes 100% from playing Japanese video games. But the kid definitely told me his name was Butch.

February 06, 2015, 01:54:28 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I haven't played a sonic game in ages... Did they really change Robotnik's name to Eggman? "Robotnik" is so much cooler...
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 02:45:02 am »
12) A guy in Tule near the entrance says "With a machine amplifying the Wind Crystal's energy, we're now we're able to send boats to very far off places!" Obviously that second "we're" shouldn't be there. I'd also add a hyphen to connect 'far' and 'off.'

While we're talking about grammar, I feel that "very far off" sounds kinda childish and redundant. I think "far off" on its own should be fine.

Also, officially licensed merchandise associated with FF Dissidia (as well as other commemorative statues) give his name as Butz.

So, I'd say that should really put an end to that debate, right?

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 07:48:40 am »
No, because he's Bartz in all American-released versions of Final Fantasy V, of which there have been four now!

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 11:15:59 pm »
Well, the disclaimer on that was that my experience with katakana comes 100% from playing Japanese video games. But the kid definitely told me his name was Butch.

February 06, 2015, 01:54:28 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I haven't played a sonic game in ages... Did they really change Robotnik's name to Eggman? "Robotnik" is so much cooler...

Yup, I totally agree. I think Sega's official stance is that his name now fully Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik. Eggman is his nickname but in Japan he was always Dr. Eggman. After Sonic Adventure, he is just Eggman everywhere. Princess Peach is the same way. We knew her has Princess Toadstool before Super Mario 64 and now she hasn't been called that since.

If you're going for names that all the English translations use, of course stick with Bartz. If you like Butch or Butz, he's still a character you can name beforehand.

As for Boco/Boko, I'd go with Boko. It kind of looks better next to Koko.

Also, a BIG help to me was the Final Fantasy V Wikia. I warn you though, turn on your virus protection and turn Flash OFF on your browser. I used it constantly as a reference guide.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 11:35:14 pm »
If there are so many "right' choices, why not just leave his name blank and let the player name him in full, rather than give a default name?

furrykef

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 02:10:23 am »
Interesting. So how is it actually written in Japanese? Bucchi or Battsu?

Well, the name used for the FF5 character is always バッツ (Battsu).

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 02:17:57 am »
BTW, Chrys, I fixed everything but 14. I can't seem to find the wrong quotation mark, it just looks like 'Blue Magic' every time.

I'm also having trouble with 'spell' showing up as spls for some reason at one point.

I think I've got names for spells and monsters changed/fixed so far.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2015, 12:19:55 pm »
15) When Syldra is pulled underwater, Galuf says "for awhile," which should be "for a while." Then Bartz (yes, Bartz!) says: "it's drifting offcourse," but "off course" is two words.

16) Before you fight Siren, the punctuation is weird. Two of the three ellipses have an extra period, and the first one comes after "?!" rather than before it.

17) Why do the items in this game not have the potion icon in front of them? (FF III was the same way.) Did the RPGe translators remove them in order to get an extra character? (And was that also the case with FF III?) If so, I think they should be added back! It doesn't look right with them not there. (If that's how it was in the original Japanese version, then so be it.)

(Why did this thread get moved to Discussion?)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 01:12:48 pm by Chrysologus »