Final Fantasy V deserves the love that Final Fantasy IV and VI have gotten (doesn't it?). This is a place for anyone to post suggestions for improvements to Spooniest's Legend of the Crystals patch (which smooths out some of the rough edges of the RPGe translation), to be implemented by Digitsie. The end-goal would be to combine this with the other fix-up patches out there to create a single restoration patch to provide the ultimate FF V SNES experience. The goal isn't to change the game.
I'm playing through the game now, so I'll post about any typos I find, awkward dialogue, inconsistent names, etc., or other suggestions I have. I invite others to do the same!
It'll be Digitsie's call for what he actually wants to do since he's the one planning to do this.
For reference, there's a webpage that shows the translations and Japanese for all the game's terms, names, items, etc.: http://kumiho.aerdan.org/translations/ff5.html
Here are my first few suggestions.
1) Bartz tells Lenna, "My dad... He said for me to travel the world and see things..." That's grammatically possible, but oddly expressed. It should be corrected to "He told me." Or! It could be punched up to the GBA's colorful "Yeah! You know, it was my dad's dying wish that I go out and travel the world." I'm not suggesting that the GBA translation override the old one (that would be bad), but where there are typos or oddities to fix, it could be an opportunity to pop in a few sayings.
2) I hope I'm not stepping on Spooniest's toes by saying that I think the change to the line about Bartz being "hard up" is not
an improvement over RPGe's "Say what you want, but isn't the truth that you just want to be with this girl?" The problem with the "hard up" line is that (besides being very colloquial) it's not that Bartz is sexually desperate (which is what "hard up" means), but that he's attracted to Lenna. The GBA here has a great line: "What a sweet-talker! As if you don't have the hots for the little missy." I'd argue for changing it back to what RPGe had or inserting the nice GBA line.
3) I'd love to see "Wounded" changed to "KO'd," which is still in usage and has great nostalgic feel!
4) Chocobos say "Kweh" now. Probably too trivial to change.
5) A typo: Bartz tells his Chocobo: "Boco, it's dangerous ahead. You've got stay back here." Obviously that's supposed to have a "to" in it. But let's go deeper! The GBA has: "Boko, I think this is gonna be a little too dangerous for chocobos. You stay here, okay?" That sounds good.
6) Boco should become Boko? Probably too trivial.
7) Is changing enemy names possible? Because if it is, Dearo could become Devil Crab (using the il digraph so it's only 9 characters, which appears to be the maximum)!
That's as far as I've got so far.