News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: missing a few options settings (Rampart (J) NES)  (Read 3891 times)

contra

• View Profile
missing a few options settings (Rampart (J) NES)
« on: February 01, 2015, 04:41:42 pm »

It's for the 2 player mode setup screen in Rampart (J) on the NES. Before anyone get too excited I'm not doing a full translation, I've just translated the options screens. I havent been able to figure out what these last 3 settings do by playtesting so any help would be appreciated.

jobless_floppy

• View Profile
Re: missing a few options settings (Rampart (J) NES)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 06:09:41 pm »
ボーナス ポイント = Bonus Points
せんとう じかん = Battle Length (じかん is time though, not sure if it's referring to minutes or turns or something)
かこみ ボーナス - Siege(?) Bonus

Only unsure of the last one.

contra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 08:34:27 pm »
Ah that makes sense. Thank you!

jobless_floppy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 11:20:43 pm »
Ah that makes sense. Thank you!

If you need someone to recheck the translation on the other options I'd be willing to do that.

contra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 10:07:21 am »
Here's what I have so far. It should be fairly accurate, atleast according to game function if not by word.

I'm aware that stuff like "build" should probably be "repair" and "round" be "battle" but I'm pressed for space and I havent done much in terms of aestetics at this point so most of the hacked text is just crammed into place for now. There's a couple of controlcodes and such I need to figure out before dealing with it properly.

jobless_floppy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 03:32:18 pm »
For the first screen most of them are fine, though フィルター is Filter (though maybe Dim is better for understanding what it actually does) and スピード is Speed (set just sounds confusing to me).

For the second screen クリア ポイント is literally just Clear Points, though maybe just Goal would sound better.
Not entirely sure what しょき ほうだい means, other than ほうだい is (gun) battery/fort, so I'll assume Cannons works fine.

And the final screen Push Start to Go sounds a little awkward to me. Maybe just Push Start, though that's just me  :)

What exactly is this game anyway? It sounds like either a strategy game or a puzzle game.

contra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 07:06:33 pm »
I agree with all your points. Most of the awkward choices of words comes mainly from space shortage but all opinions on words and phrasings are welcome.

"Set" is meant to be short for setting, but yes it should say speed but I need to do some major rearranging (which tbh is giving me more problems than anticipated) to get it to fit. I picked "Dim" because (beside being a nice short word) is a common setting on tvs, cell/smartphones these days most people would be familiar with whereas filter is more ambigous.

Ideally I'd want "win goal" to say "points to win" but even with rearanging it would be hard to make it look good without a total redesign of the screen wich seems abit excessive. Idk "goal" is short and sweet but maybe "limit" or even just "points" would be better?

"Push start to go" is definetly a non-keeper, ideally I'd want it to be "push start to begin" but maybe just "push start" would do.

Rampart is an old arcade classic made by Atari and ported to most systems at the time. Puzzle and Strategy is exactly what it is! :) It's like a mix of Tetris and Missile command. The japaneese NES version was made by Konami in ´91 and (unlike the EU/US version) not just a straight arcade port but has all sorts of added cool stuff like campaigns with different themes and as always with Konami, sound and graphics are great.

jobless_floppy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 09:04:17 pm »
I agree with all your points. Most of the awkward choices of words comes mainly from space shortage but all opinions on words and phrasings are welcome.

"Set" is meant to be short for setting, but yes it should say speed but I need to do some major rearranging (which tbh is giving me more problems than anticipated) to get it to fit. I picked "Dim" because (beside being a nice short word) is a common setting on tvs, cell/smartphones these days most people would be familiar with whereas filter is more ambigous.

Ideally I'd want "win goal" to say "points to win" but even with rearanging it would be hard to make it look good without a total redesign of the screen wich seems abit excessive. Idk "goal" is short and sweet but maybe "limit" or even just "points" would be better?

"Push start to go" is definetly a non-keeper, ideally I'd want it to be "push start to begin" but maybe just "push start" would do.

Rampart is an old arcade classic made by Atari and ported to most systems at the time. Puzzle and Strategy is exactly what it is! :) It's like a mix of Tetris and Missile command. The japaneese NES version was made by Konami in ´91 and (unlike the EU/US version) not just a straight arcade port but has all sorts of added cool stuff like campaigns with different themes and as always with Konami, sound and graphics are great.

Set does work I guess, I just always wondered why early translations went with it, sounds kinda confusing but being short for setting makes sense. Never realized it before. Have you tried doing any dual tile storing? You could potentially squeeze a few more letters in (I noticed when I booted it up that it seemed to have at least a lot of Hiragana for the "story" bits).

I think I'd go with Limit if Goal isn't satisfactory.

I didn't have the time to play it earlier but I think I'll check it out now :D seems like a fun little title I was unaware of.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 08:27:58 am »
Am stoked you're working on this. There is literally no other J exclusive that I would rather see translated.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 12:30:52 am »
Hoping contra replies back to a message I sent him about this project as it was close to being completed and he figured out how to edit the compressed graphic bubbles in the game. We did get a majority of the dialogue completed and the menus are all set.  If he is MIA for another month I'll release the latest patch I got before he started working on those compressed graphics unless he replies saying otherwise.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 03:06:42 am »
Hoping contra replies back to a message I sent him about this project as it was close to being completed and he figured out how to edit the compressed graphic bubbles in the game. We did get a majority of the dialogue completed and the menus are all set.  If he is MIA for another month I'll release the latest patch I got before he started working on those compressed graphics unless he replies saying otherwise.

Sounds awesome, hope he answers ASAP and you guys finish what's left. :) I remember quite enjoying the game a few years back.