News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets Graphics?  (Read 4320 times)

Dogeritos

• Dogeritos r kewl
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel (Don't Go There... Pretty Bad)
Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets Graphics?
« on: January 31, 2015, 01:23:26 pm »
I need extracted graphics from Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets (the 3rd BS Zelda game) for my new ALttP hack. I've tried to do it myself, and the program (made specifically for this game) just doesn't work... Does anyone have any ideas? Or know of any programs that'll extract the graphics?
So nacho
Much cheese
Wow
Dogeritos

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets Graphics?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 02:55:07 pm »
Which graphics do you need? Since I'm working on a similar project, digging some of those graphics out may be beneficial to both of us.

It seems tools made specificially for ALttP won't always work with AST. I guess they're different enough that not everything compatible with one will work with the other. I noticed that as soon as I started mixing patches (like the hack that replaces the person at the magic shop to Maple).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 03:03:45 pm by SunGodPortal »
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 03:41:01 pm »
I need extracted graphics from Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets (the 3rd BS Zelda game) for my new ALttP hack. I've tried to do it myself, and the program (made specifically for this game) just doesn't work... Does anyone have any ideas? Or know of any programs that'll extract the graphics?
There is no program to extract the gfx in a form of the bin file from Ancient Stone Tablets. The only program written for this game was the dungeon editor (programed by Euclid). With it you can slightly edit the bg layers of the dungeons, which is rather simple and basic.

It seems tools made specificially for ALttP won't always work with AST. I guess they're different enough that not everything compatible with one will work with the other.
Actually all tools written for Alttp will not work for Ancient Stone tablets. In fact Hyrule Magic will only work for the US version of Alttp and not for EU version or the Japan version of Alttp. You can, however, transfer certain ASM codes (for instance Conn managed to transfer AST Pegasus shoes into Alttp).

In US Alttp gfx starts at exactly 87000 in hex. EU has this address shifted and thus the pointers. AST not only has this further replaced, but also uses a different compression algorithm. So zcompress has no chance here. Getting this data into the bin is currently not possible, unless we would have the help of someone like Fusoya.

There is however a manual way of print-screening, while the emulator is on hyper slow speed. I used this strategy to extract the chicken in Parallel Worlds (at 10% speed). Of course this method is long and not really recomended for a lot of sprites, but you can get one or two (specially the ones who don't have lots of states; for instance chicken only has 2 states, so only 2 screens). But I couldn't extract Agahnim/Draegor this way (to complex). Later I realocated all the hex data for gfx from PW to Alttp to get the bin (but this can not be done for AST).

Dogeritos

• Dogeritos r kewl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 06:24:03 pm »
There is no program to extract the gfx in a form of the bin file from Ancient Stone Tablets. The only program written for this game was the dungeon editor (programed by Euclid). With it you can slightly edit the bg layers of the dungeons, which is rather simple and basic.
Actually all tools written for Alttp will not work for Ancient Stone tablets. In fact Hyrule Magic will only work for the US version of Alttp and not for EU version or the Japan version of Alttp. You can, however, transfer certain ASM codes (for instance Conn managed to transfer AST Pegasus shoes into Alttp).

In US Alttp gfx starts at exactly 87000 in hex. EU has this address shifted and thus the pointers. AST not only has this further replaced, but also uses a different compression algorithm. So zcompress has no chance here. Getting this data into the bin is currently not possible, unless we would have the help of someone like Fusoya.

There is however a manual way of print-screening, while the emulator is on hyper slow speed. I used this strategy to extract the chicken in Parallel Worlds (at 10% speed). Of course this method is long and not really recomended for a lot of sprites, but you can get one or two (specially the ones who don't have lots of states; for instance chicken only has 2 states, so only 2 screens). But I couldn't extract Agahnim/Draegor this way (to complex). Later I realocated all the hex data for gfx from PW to Alttp to get the bin (but this can not be done for AST).

Guess what? There IS a program that can extract the graphics for the Ancient Stone Tablets in the .bin format, you can look on the BS Zelda homepage, it's there...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 06:34:05 pm by Dogeritos »
So nacho
Much cheese
Wow
Dogeritos

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 07:10:25 pm »
Guess what? There IS a program that can extract the graphics for the Ancient Stone Tablets in the .bin format, you can look on the BS Zelda homepage, it's there...

Awesome. I'm glad you mentioned this. :) I've been to that site countless times and somehow I never noticed it.

Dogeritos

• Dogeritos r kewl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 07:20:31 pm »
Awesome. I'm glad you mentioned this. :) I've been to that site countless times and somehow I never noticed it.

Yeah, I just haven't gotten it to work yet. Maybe I just don't have any of the right versions of the ROM, not sure.
So nacho
Much cheese
Wow
Dogeritos

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 08:00:30 pm »
Yeah, I just haven't gotten it to work yet. Maybe I just don't have any of the right versions of the ROM, not sure.

I finally got it to work. It seems ast_decode is very picky about what folder you have it in. The command promt started in my computer's user files so to keep things simple I put the folder with the graphics decoder there. When I had it in it's own folder it would crash every time and create a new, but empty file in my user folder. So, I moved the ast_decode files out of it's own folder and into my user folder. Problem solved. After I moved it, it worked the first time.

EDIT: If you keep having trouble let me know and when I get back on here later I'll send you the extracted graphics files, if needed.

EDIT: Check your messages. :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:40:18 pm by SunGodPortal »

Dogeritos

• Dogeritos r kewl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 08:40:26 pm »
I finally got it to work. It seems ast_decode is very picky about what folder you have it in. The command promt started in my computer's user files so to keep things simple I put the folder with the graphics decoder there. When I had it in it's own folder it would crash every time and create a new, but empty file in my user folder. So, I moved the ast_decode files out of it's own folder and into my user folder. Problem solved. After I moved it, it worked the first time.

EDIT: If you keep having trouble let me know and when I get back on here later I'll send you the extracted graphics files, if needed.

Yeah... I've been trying for a bit here, and I can't get it to work... I'll need those files.
So nacho
Much cheese
Wow
Dogeritos

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 01:10:08 am »
Here's a rar that has a dump of the compressed graphics from BS Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets if anybody else needs them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4wofogrfat4qa9h/Ancient%20Stone%20Tablets%20Graphics%20Dumps.rar?dl=0

I ripped them from each week of two diff versions of the ROM just to be sure I didn't miss anything.

Dogeritos

• Dogeritos r kewl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 09:07:20 am »
Here's a rar that has a dump of the compressed graphics from BS Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets if anybody else needs them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4wofogrfat4qa9h/Ancient%20Stone%20Tablets%20Graphics%20Dumps.rar?dl=0

I ripped them from each week of two diff versions of the ROM just to be sure I didn't miss anything.

Thanks!:D Though the graphics seem to be scrambled a bit, maybe there'll be a way to straighten them all out.
So nacho
Much cheese
Wow
Dogeritos

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 01:31:33 pm »
There IS a program that can extract the graphics for the Ancient Stone Tablets
That's good news. I wasn't aware of that.

Thank you for this. By the way, are you able to load this in YYchr. I can only view the 2BPP GB (ie the 8bit gfx for the menu), but the standard 16 bit, 4BPP SNES is still scrambled.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 03:40:36 pm »
When I load them up into YY-CHR and switch to 3BPP SNES mode they display fine.

Dogeritos

• Dogeritos r kewl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 04:01:56 pm »

Ohhh, alright, I was loading them up in 4bpp snes, so that was my problem. Thanks a lot!:D
So nacho
Much cheese
Wow
Dogeritos

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 04:29:43 pm »
No problem. On a side note, I updated my project thread and added a few screenshots of my new legendary heroine. http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,19187.0.html

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 04:32:12 pm »
Great. Of course it is to be noted, that the 3BPP SNES is only available in YYchr ver 0.99, which has the well known language issue, so I was using the 0.98 and 0.97, which don't have this 3BPP option. Works fine in the new version. It is interesting, but some gfx block sets are a copy from Alttp. One other interesting part is, that the out.bin are standard tiles, while out2.bin are sprites.

Dogeritos

• Dogeritos r kewl
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 05:00:39 pm »
No problem. On a side note, I updated my project thread and added a few screenshots of my new legendary heroine. http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,19187.0.html

It's looking really good, keep it up!:D
So nacho
Much cheese
Wow
Dogeritos

KiddoCabbusses

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 03:42:17 pm »
Aw, man, I'm late for this thread, huh? :o

Let me know what your efforts are being used for and whatnot. It should be interesting. :)

Dogeritos

• Dogeritos r kewl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 09:03:43 pm »
Aw, man, I'm late for this thread, huh? :o

Let me know what your efforts are being used for and whatnot. It should be interesting. :)

I'm working on this ALttP hack (see it in the Personal Projects section) in which I'll be making various graphic changes and new dungeons. I'm just focusing on the graphics for right now. But yeah, go check it out and all the work I've done so far :D

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,19201.0.html
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:50:17 pm by Dogeritos »
So nacho
Much cheese
Wow
Dogeritos

KiddoCabbusses

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 11:35:43 pm »
Neato. :D

I never really considered the notion of the girl's resemblence to Saria until you mentioned it. o.o
It was probably a coincidence, but it's hard to say with Nintendo.

Dogeritos

• Dogeritos r kewl
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2015, 09:58:54 pm »
Neato. :D

I never really considered the notion of the girl's resemblence to Saria until you mentioned it. o.o
It was probably a coincidence, but it's hard to say with Nintendo.

Dunnnnn dunnnnn dunnnnnn :o
So nacho
Much cheese
Wow
Dogeritos