News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Seriously, why? (IPS vs BPS/UPS/Xdelta)  (Read 9576 times)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Seriously, why? (IPS vs BPS/UPS/Xdelta)
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2016, 10:57:16 am »
Not sure if it's standard, but I recall my copy of Windows 8 even including 7zip pre-installed, so it's definitely sticking around. :thumbsup:
(as with any OEM Windows installation, one useful program among tons of crapware :P Including some Start Menu replacement I eventually deleting after it began showing its adware leanings. Like it tried to install AOL. In 2015. I didn't even know AOL was still around.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Axiphel

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2016, 11:16:25 am »
I would actually be surprised if a majority of the people here didn't still use AOL email.

jonk

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2016, 01:56:23 pm »
I would actually be surprised if a majority of the people here didn't still use AOL email.
Now that's a well-targeted shot into the broadside!  ;D

That said, I never used AOL so I really don't know about it. My email goes back to the days even before uunet began offering its services, instead using standard telephone services (modem) and uucp. The email programs back then, the good ones anyway, ran on Unix or similar. But as uunet arrived, an email product for Windows was made that I still use today. 'Agent.' Agent handles NNTP (net news transfer protocol) as well as SMTP, POP, APOP, POP3, SPA, and others. So I can use the same program to handle email and news exchanges, with equal ease. Most people today will have little idea about why or if any of that should matter to them.
An equal right to an opinion isn't a right to an equal opinion. -- 1995, me
Saying religion is the source of morality is like saying a squirrel is the source of acorns.  -- 2002, me

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2016, 02:03:20 pm »
7-Zip was first released in 1999.
OP's original arguments were pretty sound and understandable, but calling 17 yr. old 7-zip some newfangled witchery and claiming a lack of support in other archivers amounts to either trolling or very poorly written sarcasm.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2016, 04:39:52 pm »
2. An all-in-one patching program that will accept all of the common patching formats (IPS, UPS, BPS, Xdelta). That way, I don't have to have 8 different patching programs and look up how to patch some other format every single time I want to patch something.
There is one called Multipatch, but unfortunately is for Mac OS X only.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2016, 04:48:21 pm »
AOL was not really a thing in the UK, or it was at the same time it and compuserve and died a death around the same time, I do still occasionally get clients with such addresses but it is very much the exception. Granted they often still have ISP mail accounts and suffer accordingly but AOL does not represent among those. AIM was equally absent from basically all I met, US transplants and those with US based family being the exceptions, so there is not even that. The yahoo instant messenger vs msn messenger playground debates/areas of the country were harsh times though.

On "why or it any should matter" then by most accounts none of us will probably ever set up an email server that the likes of gmail, yahoo mail, hotmail/outlook and the like will dain to speak to or be spoken to by so I will go that.