News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda III: Pinky's Quest  (Read 4791 times)

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Zelda III: Pinky's Quest
« on: January 26, 2015, 02:06:28 am »
I decided to completely rewrite the first post here since the goal of this project has changed quite drastically. My original idea was to do a text and graphics hack to replace Link with Zelda, but once I really got into it I decided it would be more fun to lay the groundwork for my own ALttP hack.

Here's some of my latest progress.

I finished the first draft of the legendary heroine. Link has been replaced by a little girl in pink pajamas.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:45:56 am by SunGodPortal »
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

VicVergil

• View Profile
Re: ALttP - Play as Zelda
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 06:19:54 am »
For what it's worth, Nintendo has already created sprites for Zelda 3 for the female BS-X avatar. It was Japan-only and for the Zelda Inishie no Sekiban spin-off based on Zelda 3 since the BS-X broadcast system as a whole was Japan-only to begin with, and it amounts to a simple head swap in different angles.

It doesn't exactly fit the "what if zelda was a girl" idea, since that's not Zelda, but it's at least functional - and one gets to keep the animations without worrying about breaking stuff (like the colored tunics).

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: ALttP - Play as Zelda
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 02:52:33 pm »
Yeah. I've actually been playing with said BS-X mascot lately. She's cute but she's not Zelda. Once I really started to think this out last night it only became more interesting to me. I'm not going to give up on it just because a couple of aspects are challenging. That and the fact that no one has done this yet only make me want to do it that much more.

Besides the player related graphics a portion of the script will also need to be altered. People aren't going to speak to a Princess the same way they would a commoner like Link. It'll be fun readjusting the tone in places like that. It won't be fun dealing format issues but fixing the finer details are probably never fun when hacking.

I've been looking for a new project since I dropped my FFIV hack for being too ridiculous in scope (for one person anyway). This is it.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: SunGodPortal's Zelda: A Link to the Past hack
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 08:19:18 pm »
Update: I finished up Pinky's graphics (that's what I'm calling her for now) and now I'm play testing to see what I can improve about her. This is my first major hack. I think it took about 10 hours to do her graphics (Link has a lot of movements). I stole the head from the BS-X Zelda girl and I plan on improving some of her face sprites. Those will be minor changes though (to the face), for the most part I'm quite satisfied with her look (she's cute). Graphics are my main focus for now. I plan on seeing what I can do with some of the other characters and a few of the landscape/interiors as well.

As for other things like dungeons and the story, right now a lot of my concepts for that stuff are pretty foggy and will remain that way until I know more about what sort of limitations/restrictions I'll run into because of 1) how flexible the scenarios are 2) my current skillset and 3) the available tools.

Dogeritos

• Dogeritos r kewl
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel (Don't Go There... Pretty Bad)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 08:52:51 pm »
Update: I finished up Pinky's graphics (that's what I'm calling her for now) and now I'm play testing to see what I can improve about her. This is my first major hack. I think it took about 10 hours to do her graphics (Link has a lot of movements). I stole the head from the BS-X Zelda girl and I plan on improving some of her face sprites. Those will be minor changes though (to the face), for the most part I'm quite satisfied with her look (she's cute). Graphics are my main focus for now. I plan on seeing what I can do with some of the other characters and a few of the landscape/interiors as well.

As for other things like dungeons and the story, right now a lot of my concepts for that stuff are pretty foggy and will remain that way until I know more about what sort of limitations/restrictions I'll run into because of 1) how flexible the scenarios are 2) my current skillset and 3) the available tools.

Awesome! :D Can't wait to see it finished and all.
So nacho
Much cheese
Wow
Dogeritos

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 11:28:13 pm »
After getting some practice with my first attempt at character art I decided to experiment a little more with the dress concept I had before I made the change to pajamas. This time i started from scratch and didn't borrow the BS-X girl's head like before (upgrade!).

I think it looks much better than what I started with. LOL

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jpj2n7lqawh23g9/screenshot%20001.png?dl=0

Dogeritos

• Dogeritos r kewl
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel (Don't Go There... Pretty Bad)
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 09:05:24 am »
After getting some practice with my first attempt at character art I decided to experiment a little more with the dress concept I had before I made the change to pajamas. This time i started from scratch and didn't borrow the BS-X girl's head like before (upgrade!).

I think it looks much better than what I started with. LOL

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jpj2n7lqawh23g9/screenshot%20001.png?dl=0

Wow, this is looking pretty good so far. Have you edited anything else so far besides the main character's graphics yet?
So nacho
Much cheese
Wow
Dogeritos

STARWIN

• View Profile
Re: Zelda: A Link to the Past hack (SunGodPortal)
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 09:39:23 am »
Pajama Pinky in the first post is awesome. Who might this new girl old hag be? Pinky's mom?

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda: A Link to the Past hack (SunGodPortal)
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 04:01:58 pm »
Pajama Pinky in the first post is awesome. Who might this new girl old hag be? Pinky's mom?

I'm not exactly sure. I wouldn't feel satisfied with her as Pinky's mom's because their proportions are a bit different. She looks fine in-game around the other characters but too small when placed side-by-side with Pinky (who has a HUGE head in comparison). I wouldn't want to change her because I like her that much (the new girl), so I may just save her for a later hack. That way I'll get better use out of her and be better prepared to handle her more sophisticated design. I guess making her was mostly to prove to myself that going with Pinky wasn't just a cop-out and that I was capable of realizing the design I had originally intended before going with something easier.

Wow, this is looking pretty good so far. Have you edited anything else so far besides the main character's graphics yet?

Not yet. I've been obsessing over this aspect. Link has a shitload of graphics and they're "organized" in a really confusing (and infuriating) manner so it's kept me pretty busy. LOL Anything else I've done can pretty much be summed up as organizing and/or collecting data relevant to the changes I want to make once I'm more satisfied with my progress here.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Progress 2-17-15
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 03:52:26 am »
After a few weeks of getting used to the editor, experiments, some overworld editing and shitload of research I finally started building my indoor areas. In the coming days/weeks Zelda will be redrawn to look more like a geeky little girl, the exterior of the castle will receive a makeover and more of the surrounding village will be constructed.

The place in the first screenshot was originally going to be a more friendly version of Hyrule Castle but now I've decided to turn it into something more like an inn/resort area. You can see a mistake I overlooked at the end of the bar there. *doh* The second shot is outside and before I decided to drop the castle theme. You can see here that I got rid of the original castle wall and was going to have the village moved in pretty close.

Concept update: The game will center around Pinky and "Zelda", who are cousins that head out for adventure one stormy night when insomnia leads to boredom. I intend to have the two together for the entire game. I actually did quite a bit of testing to make sure the game would still function like this. The results were pretty interesting. Ever go to the mountains in the first phase of the game (which it was obviously not designed for)? Looks pretty weird.

SC

• View Profile
Re: Zelda III: Pinky's Quest
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 02:29:31 pm »
Did you make that sprite intentionally cute? - Success!
Anyway, what about the rabbit sprite? You plan on changing much the over-world?

It's always good to have more people working on Zelda AlltP hacks, as long as those get finished.  :thumbsup:

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda III: Pinky\'s Quest
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 07:11:36 pm »
Yes. I always thought this game was cute (it made it that much more fun) so I wanted to create something that would perhaps highlight that.

The rabbit is the only part of the main character sprites that haven't been changed yet. I didn't plan to have any of the game take place in the Dark World so I wasn't sure how important it would be. I'm still debating this one because there are those little things that you can put in the dungeons that chase you around and turn you into a rabbit if you get caught. It would be fun to do something with that.

As for the overworld, it will be completely rearranged in the end. For now my idea is to reuse many of the original graphics but I do intend to "revamp" a good number of things that I feel can be improved upon like: grass, trees, etc. Most of the graphics changes will be focused on the overworld but I have yet to actually start on that. After I change Zelda's sprites to look the way I want I'll probably take a break from graphics editing so I can focus more on the dungeons for a while.

It's always good to have more people working on Zelda AlltP hacks, as long as those get finished.

I hear that. There are a number of unfinished hacks of this game (understandably) that look very promising yet have been abandoned and will probably never be finished. Lyra Islands is one that I'd like to see completed. In an attempt to keep my workload in check I've decided it would be best to limit the game to one overworld, have 4 large dungeons rather than 11-12 and design things in a way that will prevent (or at least soften the blow of) a number of headaches/nightmares usually associated with doing a "complete" hack of this game. It would probably move a lot faster if I had someone to collaborate with (and didn't have to learn everything as I go) but I'm actually not interested in that for the time being. This is my baby. :)

February 21, 2015, 11:12:37 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Better watch out, Link. Looks dangerous.

Is this a new house design? No. Just a test. I got the electric barrier to work indoors. I wanted to have it in my dungeons to create another use for the Magic Cape. Still got a few kinks to work out but at least I know it is possible now.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 11:12:37 pm by SunGodPortal »