News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Re: Victoly!  (Read 43819 times)

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Victoly!
« Reply #220 on: October 05, 2017, 03:18:39 pm »
Beat Divinity Original Sin 2.

The best tactical RPG since Baldurs Gate 2. It's not flawless (quest bugs... :-\), but the combat is the new genre standard.

Also beat Mario & Rabbids on the Switch. Really fantastic game. It's amazing that this came so far out of left field and ended up being as good as it is. You don't notice that this one is from Ubisoft, it totally has the Nintendo feel of polish on it.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 11, 2017, 07:35:44 pm »
I just beat Donkey Kong 94, I've been playing it during my break time at work,
It's an absolutely amazing game, one of the best I've ever played and fun all the way to the end, and they did all this on the classic gameboy no less, it's a marvel of mechanics and presentation.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| High Pulp - Bad Juice|| https://youtu.be/6V-BtwkGoaY

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #222 on: October 12, 2017, 01:32:44 pm »
Yep, definitely one of the Top5 GB games.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 01, 2017, 07:50:18 pm »
I Just finished Persona 5 this week, and it's overall easily the best Persona game IMO (I've played all 5, and finished, 3, 4, and 5). It takes all the great stuff in the past games and makes them better, no contest, although there are a few things I have beef with.

--For one, the DLC difficulty should've been available for New Game + automatically.  It's clearly made for that purpose, and I would've liked to have it readily available.

--The endgame was a bit...blah for me, mostly because of how it progressed. Without spoiling anything, I was a little skeptical with the motivation for going to the bottom of Mementos, but I thought things went pretty well up until the developers seemed to try to recreate the almost perfect (IMO) endgame sequence from P3, but it fell pretty flat.  In fact, it actually felt pretty lame by the time everything wrapped up and I was onto the ending.  Not that there weren't good bits, but overall it was subpar to me.

--Finally, from what I understand of how NG+ works, the replay value is pretty poor, much like P4, in this game. Sure, there's a (poorly kept) secret boss, and I liked how they handled the carry over stuff, but I wish there was a bit more incentive to play again and max out all your social links other than a trophy.

Still, even with all these gripes, the way they handled social links, social stats, and most everything else was amazingly good and clearly much more balanced than past Persona games. I probably liked every character in this game and 90% of the plot better than the previous games, although P3 still has the best plot climax (and atmosphere too if I'm being brutally honest).

Isao Kronos

• Dogman
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 02, 2017, 12:27:09 am »
I finally finished SRW Alpha 2 a week or two ago. I think that's all the SRWs for PS2 I care about (haha nope to impact or scramble commander).

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 02, 2017, 06:55:44 pm »
Finshed BS Panel De Pon 98, while on the my way home tonight,
Have to say, that last mach was really tense, you need to move really fast to clear a large portion of the screen otherwise you get a game over near instantly, I'm not sure how this stacks up to the original version or Tetris Attack since I've never played either, I am picking up PDP original and the english patch now since this was pretty fun.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| High Pulp - Bad Juice|| https://youtu.be/6V-BtwkGoaY

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 11, 2017, 12:04:17 pm »
I finished the main endings for Nier: Automata today (there are officially 5, but really there's only 3 major endings).  The game is amazing in so many different ways, but like Nier I think the game world is a bit small and really doesn't do most of the plot justice. The setting is pretty amazing for the first half of the game, but the second half it's clear that things are going to get a little dull on that front.

That said, the battle/game systems are well done and I never really got bored on that front until the grinding for plugin chips and weapon materials set in. The plot is better (IMO) than Nier's simply because major plot points are bit more tangible this time, although the dark mood of the 2nd half is SO much better than Nier's. And as usual, the soundtrack is pretty perfect (I'm not a music snob, but every version of Weight of the World now ranks as one of my favorite game themes).

Basically, this game restored my faith a little in Square Enix--it's definitely worthy of pre-merger Square.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:13:12 pm by magictrufflez »

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 12, 2017, 08:32:23 pm »
Dark Cloud, final boss has attacks that can only be avoided by exploiting invulnerability frames from a certain special attack, also bullshit moves that force you to pause every few seconds and ridiculous damage output in general, luckily third phase was fucking sweet and had a great theme to go with it.

Might finish the Demon Shaft bonus level sometime, but definitely won't be doing another full playthrough until I forget how bad this one was, unlike it's sequel this game has not aged well at all.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 18, 2017, 09:54:31 pm »
I finished Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness today...and I'm conflicted.  I made a venting thread separate from this post, but I was surprised by the stuff I liked and the stuff that just kind of ticked me off.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Re: Victoly!
« Reply #229 on: December 05, 2017, 10:41:30 pm »
Beat Soul Blazer with everything.

It has neat ideas (and I can see that Dark Cloud probably got a ton of influence from it) in running themes.  I'm slightly surprised about just how uncensored this one is with these themes involved and NoA's landmark policies, compare the game to Illusion of Gaia.  I also kinda felt like I missed something towards the ending though, I really don't know if this is due to the translation or the game itself.  The plot was never really the focus however.  The focus is gameplay, and while simple yet fun I kinda felt like it ended up repetitive after a while.

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 09, 2017, 12:06:52 pm »
I finished R-Type Final on normal. Ok, technically I only beat 1 final level out of 3 but hey, the credits rolled on! :D

I am not an expert on that type of game but it was fine. Thankfully, you unlock unlimited continues as you play
so if like me you're not a pro, you still stand a chance of make it through the game if you're persistant enough.
Oh and the credit song is called "Proud of you".  :D

Anyway I don't know if sometime you had the impression that Shmup are dumb, that you just shoot stuff until it dies while avoiding bullet.
Well, not at all here. XD
There are actually some strategies to choose when dealing with the game challenges.
Do I keep using the charge shots to deal with the enemies. Do I instead use the force (weapon) on the ship to regularly shoot upgrade bullets instead?
Do I detach the Force to use its own special bullet or ram it in the enemy or both?
And if the detached force home in on the enemy, do I let it do to and do my best meanwhile not trying to get hit by stray bullets?
Do I risk using the screen clearing attack that takes forever to build up to kill a boss that is visibly almost dead?
How do I deal with waves of enemies coming from both the front and the back?

And then there is that spiral made of enemies, half of them being indestructible that you enter from backward (attack wise)
and you have to make it to the center to destroy its core. XD

Pro tips : charge shots that actually pierces walls are lifesavers in some spots.
At the very least it makes the second boss much more simpler. :)
Also, the Tentacle Force is very wide and will block lot of stuff for you.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 10, 2017, 02:15:19 pm »
Finished the remake of Star Ocean: The Last Hope, and it's slightly better than I remembered in some ways (probably because I had the 360 version, not the PS3 one). Even though I like the plot less than SO5s, the game systems are still the best, and there is no other game that does post-game like SO4. Zilch.

I will say that even though the plot still got kinda bad exactly where I remembered, the HD/4K upgrade led to a number of really awful looking graphics snafus.  For example, it's really, REALLY easy to see texture lines on character skins in a number of cut scenes, and a number of backgrounds/clothing have really awkward pixelization that wasn't nearly as visible in the original.

Still, if it goes on sale or you have $20 laying around, it's still one of the best RPGs around as far as gameplay IMO.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 13, 2017, 07:11:07 pm »
Mothlight, it was really good.

Extremely heavy on body horror and not for the easily disturbed or disgusted, has an awesome hand drawn arstyle mixed in with kinda shitty spritework, starts out moderately difficult but becomes a lot easier if you make sure you're always prepared.

But of a sad end, but it was worth it.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 21, 2017, 07:14:13 pm »
Finished Fallout 4 last night and I hated probably ~90% of it. The radio is easily the best of all the newer FO games, but that's basically where the fun stops. Ironically for a recent Bethesda game the writing and plot were what kept me going until the last few endgame quests where things go pretty off the rails.

The game systems are all hot garbage--not only was the stats/leveling system overhauls just as unfun and uninteresting as I feared, it's clear there was little/no balancing done for both power armor players and those who play w/o power armor. If you want to play w/o power armor and survive mid-late game, you essentially have to join the Railroad at some point to unlock ballistic weave mods for your clothes, otherwise your armor rating will be utter trash the entire game. And that's a problem because Bethesda thought it was a good idea to make skill/stat checks basically worthless in this game when they weren't absurdly easy to achieve every time (just pop on some clothes to max out your charisma and you can pass literally every speech check in the game without a significant perk/stat investment). I can count on 1 hand the number of speech checks that ever changed an outcome significantly for a quest or interaction--almost every one simply gives you some exciting additional flavor text.  Then again, that's probably an insult to flavor text--one check late game literally only got a character to tell me how not OK he was with violence...which did nothing to impact the violent carnage that was to ensue later with his help.

The Gun mod/legendary loot systems were pretty lame too--both essentially made every piece of unique gear obsolete and gave me far less incentive to go exploring once I got some pieces of armor with nice legendary buffs. It's like Bethesda said "well, people liked Borderlands' loot system, the modding in New Vegas, and legendary loot grinding in MMOs--we can definitely do this stuff better", and then they did it all worse, because that's not what FO games are about.  I mean, every other raider/gunner post had someone lurking around with a Fat Man--and I'm supposed to believe these people are all so weapon-starved they have to jury-rig their own pipe guns??

But what took the cake for me is when Bethesda clearly tried to redo the New Vegas faction model--but clearly did not understand anything about poli sci, because they really didn't do any of the things Obsidian did to make the faction scenario work, especially when it came to making large-scale engagements believable. I'm not going to spoil anything here, but sweet jesus there was a metric ton of "this is ridiculous" moments, and in a bad way.

All in all, I'm glad I only paid $10 for this mess.  /endrant

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 27, 2017, 08:07:22 pm »
So, today I had a combo Victoly/Fairure

Had an epic showdown with Commander Margulis in Xenosaga, that lasted between 30 minutes to an hour, not sure if I was underleveled or if I just wasn't supposed to beat him at all, anyway, I won and was feeling all proud of myself, and then the fucking game crashed and froze on the next cutscene. :(

So after this I'm taking some time off of Xenosaga to work on Final Fantasy IX, at least that's a PSN digital copy and there's a reasonable assumption that it's not going to enact vengeance by randomly crash and burning at key moments.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 01, 2018, 09:26:35 am »
Finished Grandia 2 Anniversary Edition---most of the game is as good as I remember, but there's much more in the endgame section that I had beef with than I anticipated. A lot of just "oh, well I guess that happened" moments that are a bit unexplained, in addition to the really odd lazy design decisions.

Hard mode makes the game more enjoyable difficulty-wise, but if you know what you're doing, most everything is still pretty straightforward (other than a handful of bosses that are legit difficult our outright ridiculous). I personally think this is still one of the better RPG plots out there, even with the flaws near the end, and definitely worth the sale price I bought it at!

January 07, 2018, 08:20:50 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Finished Planescape:Torment EE tonight. While it's not a bad game, I think a number of games since it came out did all of the stuff PT did well back in the day much much better, and then some (KOTOR2 and Divinity: Original Sin come to mind).

Even though the writing was good, there was a lot of really disjointed sections that broke the mood quite a bit for me (ex. you've already had the in-depth discussion with Morte about his past, yet Morte acts like you've never had that discussion when it comes time to go to the place you discussed for ~5-10 boxes of dialogue), and the combat balance is really just terrible throughout the game. When the mage class is the superior option for all battle situations, you know there isn't a lot of balance. Even some parts of the main quest were a bit too absurdly cryptic for me--it really felt like the plot was drawn out quite a bit more than it should have been, even if overall it was decent enough.

TL;DR--I understand how folks saw this as a masterpiece in 1999 (there weren't a lot of plot-heavy games like this back then), and PT is still good, but it probably wouldn't break my top-10 rpg list.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:20:50 pm by magictrufflez »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 23, 2018, 09:38:14 pm »
I finally completely played through Ogre Battle: March of he Black Queen--after 20ish years of multiple attempts that always ended with me moving away from the game around mission 9.

The game is way, way too long, and I would kill for a hack that cleans up the game text, compresses some of the missions, and better utilize the massive spaces in the game that are mostly filled with nothing once you've finished a map. The plot isn't terrible but is poorly delivered (primarily in extremely short snippets of text before boss fights and some flavor text from town liberation), and I do wish someone would fix the treasure system.  Still, the game systems are pretty interesting if a bit flawed (High Sky and/or straight magic units will dominate everything by about mid-game--I literally used 4-6 units for the entire last 1/3 of the game and still got the best ending).  Still, if you like RTS-ish RPGs, there aren't really any other ones that does the same stuff Ogre Battle does, and certainly not better!

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 20, 2018, 08:59:29 am »
I finally finished the first game in my September RPG binge, Dragon Warrior (NES)
This was my first time playing a Dragon Quest game and it was actually a lot of fun, way more than what I expected from what is essentially the first of it's kind, and the fact that it's really grindy and difficult just makes every bit of ground gained feel like a major victory. The final boss battle was also really cool too, I had already been spoiled on the fact that he turns into an actual dragon, but the games sole change in battle music really sells how badass the showdown is.

After this, I'm gonna finish out the original trilogy (looking forward to 3), and then move on to Builders and Dragon Quest XI.