News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Re: Victoly!  (Read 25042 times)

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Victoly!
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2015, 03:54:04 am »
Beat Deponia yesterday. It's only the first game in a trilogy, so I still have some ways to go. It's a classic point & click with fantastic art and very funny writing. It's by the same author who also did the Edna & Harvey games, only with much much matured art. The voice acting (at least the original German one - it's a German game) is top notch as well. Some puzzles were a bit eww, but with adventure games I always have a walkthrough ready for when you're stuck for more than 15 minutes anyway. Call it experience :P If you enjoyed classic Lucas Arts adventures like Day of the Tentacle or Sam & Max, I'd give this a bash.

Also beat Danganronpa 2 a while ago. It's better than the first game because the characters are more fun IMO. In every other way it's pretty much more of the same. Enjoyable if you can imagine playing an animu murder mystery.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2015, 01:56:07 pm »
Finished Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth on PC. It's a remake of a PS3 JRPG that's also available on Vita. I hear the original was a much worse game, and I really don't dare imagine how that was like. It's a cheap budget JRPG (new price was 15 bucks on launch sale) with emphasize on cheap. There are only like half a dozen dungeon layouts, while there are 50 dungeons in the game. So basically each dungeon is copy pasted 10 times with only the enemies replaced. The dungeons are super short too, you can run from the entrance to the end usually in less than 5 minutes. The storyline is also only presented visual novel style with textboxes and talking heads. Cities are implemented as simple menus. So you either watch dialogues or you pick a dungeon from a list and run through it. Really this game probably cost less to make than the PS3 licensing fees...

Still, it is suprisingly fun. Combat is turn based with a bunch of systems piled on it, and there is a massive crafting component involving hunting monsters for materials and crafting plans to unlock new equipment or dungeons. And the grind is so extremely streamlined, you can breeze even through special bosses within 10 seconds by liberal use of the ultra smooth animation cancel button. There are also absolutely no loading times, everything appears and works instantly. So the grind can downright turn into a rush and feels very satisfying. Think the loot and kill vortex of Diablo, but as a JRPG.

Oh also the story is a parody of the console war in the current game industry. The entire cast of the game is female with permanent fan service forced in your face. The main character is a personified Dreamcast and there are also Playstation, Xbox and the Wii present. Ofc the Xbox has the biggest tits while the Wii is as flat as a washboard and gets extremely jealous if that's pointed out to her. At the start they are all mortal enemies but of course they eventually band together to fight a greater evil. It is in no way shape or form serious and constantly goofy and 4th wall breaking. I thought I would hate it but honestly, I think I prefer this absolute nonsense over yet another embarassing teenage melodrama or boring as fuck Hero Alex gathers the stones of power to save the world from the evil wizard shit as you'd usually find in JRPGs.

Mild recommendation.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2015, 02:02:37 pm »
Bravely Default. For a good 30h it was a strong 7, maybe even a light 8 out of 10. Then it completely and utterly turned to shit. In 20 years of gaming I haven't encountered a game that shot itself into the foot like this. Save yourself the disappointment and avoid this, no matter how good it looks at first glance.

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2015, 06:43:41 pm »
Just beat Final Fantasy: Explorers on 3DS yesterday on the train-ride home from work. Didn't bother to 100% it, build everything, or max out all the jobs... but it was still a fun game. Even with my abbreviated run through, it still took 50+ hours to do.

Would I recommend it, though? Honestly, not if you're going to be playing alone. If you have friends who also own it, it could be a lot of fun questing and rolling through enemies together. But as a single player experience, it was a lot of grinding. It felt like an MMORPG but with no one else on the server.

Need to find another game to play now!

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2015, 05:03:55 am »
Bravely Default. For a good 30h it was a strong 7, maybe even a light 8 out of 10. Then it completely and utterly turned to shit. In 20 years of gaming I haven't encountered a game that shot itself into the foot like this. Save yourself the disappointment and avoid this, no matter how good it looks at first glance.

I'll be a bit more lenient, because the combat remains solid in some endgame fights, and the mechanics are good-to-great, but I also agree. A relatively strong ending sequence, and good final dungeon couldn't save that game's final 1/3 from being the most bizarre, and disappointing design choice I've seen in a long time. A game I was enjoying a lot, despite its fairly weak story, and cliched characters just fell apart.

The saddest part is, it all felt redundant. Ending the game at the 2/3 mark may have done some damage, but nearly as much as how the game plays out from that point forward.

Other than playing FIFA with my brother, which I can't really give an opinion on in a thread like this, I haven't had time to game, or do much of anything in the past two weeks.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2015, 04:42:23 pm »
I watched the credits roll in Freedom Wars on the PSVita. It's not the real ending, but I tried the first mission of the final chapter and went: "Hahahaha. No." It's a monster hunting game (yeah it's a genre now) ala Monster Hunter but set in a science fiction future and the enemies are mechs. It has a great setting but sadly doesn't use it for a great story though. It's still better than MH's non-story however. The combat is pretty fun and kinetic, with a hook like device called a thorn you are carrying around with which you can zip around the battlefield or cling to the enemies, it gives the game quite a Attack on Titan feel. (Wouldn't a MH style game set in the AoT universe own?)

What I disliked was that there is too much button mashing in combat. Not in the sense of senselessly swinging around your weapon, that is as ineffective as supposedly in MH (never played it), but there are a lot of actions that literally require you to mash the circle button repeatedly - like cutting off body parts of enemy mechs. In some fights I spent like a combined total of 25 minutes mashing that button (out of a 45 minute fight). It gets old FAST. Then there are the usual genre weaknesses, getting the materials for that weapon upgrade you need can take a dozen runs on the same enemy over and over. Oh and did I mention that for 90% of the game there are only 2 different enemies? I wish I was kidding but I'm not. There is a biped mech and a quadroped mech and they just put different weapons on its shoulders and arms. It doesn't change much though, it always plays the same...

If you have a Vita and you like that genre it's a pretty alternative to MH I'm sure, but for the normal gamer it's probably pretty meh. Make the fights 10 Minutes shorter and replace the dumb button mashing mechanic and you have a really solid game here.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2015, 05:51:52 pm »
Hotline Miami 2. Fun game, but I think it was a step back from the first. Tons more bugs and worse level design. On the plus side, great soundtrack. I wanted to write a longer review but this one here already nailed what I would have written myself, so I'll just point to it instead: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198000141117/recommended/274170/

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2015, 05:59:57 pm »
Without spoiling too much from the first game, is the ending section as well done, and does it pull a couple tricks out for the final sections? I didn't particularly care for the first game until the story was almost finished, and then I have to say I kind of began enjoying it more and more. I still hate the idea in concept, but I can't deny it was fun, and the twist made me interested to see where it was going.

Edit: Read the review, and that's a bit of a shame.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Victoly!
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2015, 11:24:40 pm »
Thats to badd to hear about HLM2. If the issues were bugs, I can wait until they fix them. Design choices? Well not so much. I remember they mentioned it would have a level editor, if so, thats the deal setter anyway.

I recently finished Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance. I am quite surprised the hate it gets. While it is not as refined as Aria of Sorrow, I still find it miles better than Circle of the Moon, whose only praise I feel it deserves is the challenge, but as a game overall, it feels much worse. The only notable flaws I find on HoD could be the music and that exploring both castles is a bit repetitive. Still, the environment art is probably the better of the GBA games, with some areas delightfully grimdark, like the source for the pool of blood and the dark clock tower.

I also recently finished Metroid 2. The game has a non appealing start for sure, which is why I never bothered until recently where I joined a Game Club about it. And I am glad I did. Its one of those few games that the final areas  feel a lot more polished than the beginning does. In fact the final "stage" has tons and tons of great moments, and the chamber before the Queen is superbly designed given its age, with the perfect background music and the claustrophobic feel. Barely anything happens in that room, and yet it is one of the most memorable pieces of gaming I have enjoyed.
_-|-_

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2015, 12:57:14 pm »
I got Final Fantasy 4, 7, and 8 for pc. 3 is next!

Just about to head for Bahamut in FF4...always gives me the willies.

April 07, 2015, 12:19:37 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Beat Final Fantasy 4 for PC.

Whatever this 15 fps thing everyone is on about is, I didnt notice it because the game plays exactly like the DS version. Augments and all.

I couldn't figure out how to use weapons special properties (ice rod, etc) during battle...I guess this was taken out of the pc version for some reason? It's no big deal because these "item spells" were largely useless.

I enjoyed the heck out of it, the ending was perfecto. 10/10, would play again.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 12:19:37 pm by Spooniest »

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2015, 12:12:38 pm »
Beat Shadows of Mordor.

Pretty fun game. It takes the concept of Assassin's Creed but builds an actual game around it. There is still some useless collecting, though not as much as in some current open world games. The main missions are great though and the core mechanic of scouting out special Orks and planning how to assassinate them is very engaging. Good game, should start to be affordable now too (I got it for 18 bucks).

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2015, 12:43:53 pm »
Finally beat the super boss in Valkyrie Profile Lenneth! The reward? A random TriAce Accessory.

Apparently you can get more things from beating the super boss multiple times, but I had to max my main party of Lenneth, Arngrim, Lucian, and random mage to LV.99 in order to survive that slaughterfest.... would it even be worth it, I wonder?
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2015, 02:30:40 pm »
I finished Bloodborne on Friday. Note that this is different from having "beaten" it, which I managed a few weeks ago; on Friday I finished off the last optional boss at the bottom of the cookiecutter dungeons, and finished NG+2 to get the third and final ending. Put 72 hours into it.

I quite enjoyed it. The zones are very well put-together, the faster combat is a nice change of pace from Dark Souls, the bosses were challenging but solvable. I don't quite feel like the sense of place in the larger world is as strong as it was in Dark Souls; the streets of Yharnam wind back in on themselves to such an extent that it can be difficult to get your bearings, and most of the buildings look fairly similar when looked at from a distance so there aren't many landmarks to help ground you. With a couple of late-game exceptions mostly everything is interconnected, and it feels very nice, but I also can't help but feel like the world is somehow smaller than Dark Souls's. It clumps. With that in mind it should be stated that the critical path is alarming short. You can get one of the endings by slaying a total of seven bosses (of seventeen). Said critical path is almost entirely linear, and does not allow for the variation that every other entry in the series prior has managed well. This railroading I think contributes to the world feeling smaller.

Much has been touted about the procedurally-generated chalice dungeons, but there isn't enough room variety for them to remain interesting past the first few. I can see them getting iterated on and improved in the future but for now they're just bland filler that artificially lengthens the experience. You have to go through roughly 30 floors before you hit the "final" unique and plot-significant chalice boss, and it quickly begins to feel like a grind.

So, yeah. The game was a lot of fun - arguably, from a combat mechanics perspective, more fun than other Souls games - but I just don't feel like the design is quite as strong in some ways as prior entries.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2015, 11:23:45 am »
Finally beat the super boss in Valkyrie Profile Lenneth! The reward? A random TriAce Accessory.

Apparently you can get more things from beating the super boss multiple times, but I had to max my main party of Lenneth, Arngrim, Lucian, and random mage to LV.99 in order to survive that slaughterfest.... would it even be worth it, I wonder?

It's not. The big reward for beating the bonus boss 10x is
Spoiler:
The Angel Slayer. The strongest weapon in the game, whose Trust stat is very low, meaning it could hit for hundreds of thousands of damage, or for 1 or 2 damage per hit.

All and all, it's not worth it.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2015, 11:46:17 am »
Just finished a major project and to regenerate I decided to do nothing for two weeks except reduce my pile of shame (Steam backlog of unplayed/unfinished games).

So far I beat 2:

Goodbye Deponia (final part of the trilogy). Absolutely hilarious. The ending was a bit on the "meh" side though sadly. But it's not like anyone is playing these for the plot. The sheer insanity on the way to the finale absolutely delivered.

Creeper World 3: A tower defense game, but a very good and very unique one. Instead of waves of enemies that come at you there is a large biomass that keeps spreading over the map unless you hold it at bay (like the zerg creeper in Starcraft). Once you established a foothold on a map it'll become a tower offense as you try to build yourself a path through the mass in order to destroy the sources. Very good amount of content and varied maps. Super cheap too. If you like TD games, I can only recommend this.

Also played and dismissed two more:

Ironcast: It's FTL meets Mechs meets Match 3. The core concept is great, but it feels too random to me. After 5 hours and maybe 20 runs I still feel like I'm losing because of bad luck and not because I did something wrong.

Talisman: An adaption of an old Games Workshop boardgame. Sadly it's just not very engaging or entertaining. Pretty pointless dicerolling. Even as a physical boardgame I don't think I'd be having much fun with it. Fortunately this was from some bundle so it was very cheap.

Update!

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter: A walking simulator, in that there is not much gameplay, you just stroll through a stunningly beautiful landscape and try to uncover a mystery. You do that by stumbling across mystery set pieces that uncover snippets of backstory if you solve them in various ways. The athmosphere is great, but I honestly thought the conclusion sucked ass. And the gameplay is not too compelling. The game advertises itself with "no handholding", but what that translates to is pretty much just "stumble through the landscape aimlessly until you come across something". A bit of a direction would have been nice. I know I know, I'm a filthy casual.

Hitman Absolution: I liked it a lot. It's 98% of the way there, just needs a tiny bit more polish to be perfect. Still very good though. Though it has a bit of a Deus Ex 2 syndrome going, in that there are long series' of short stages. And while each has lot's of different possible approaches to get through them, I know many players prefer having the huge setpieces of older games. I didn't mind.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 05:21:29 pm by KaioShin »

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2015, 01:03:40 pm »
Talisman: An adaption of an old Games Workshop boardgame. Sadly it's just not very engaging or entertaining. Pretty pointless dicerolling. Even as a physical boardgame I don't think I'd be having much fun with it. Fortunately this was from some bundle so it was very cheap.

there's some serious strategy involved, and it's a huge and involving game. even more so with all the expansions.
it's common for new players to just play a game or two and say 'totally random, purely luck-based', or something to that effect. it's not like that, at all.

meunierd

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2015, 06:14:43 pm »
Finished King of Demons and got the bad ending. The challenge is pretty incredible, I don't think I could finish it without abusing saves states. That said, each boss does have a gimmick that you can master, they're just really unforgiving. It was short and sweet enough to go through again for that good ending, but I need a break.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2015, 07:53:04 pm »
there's some serious strategy involved, and it's a huge and involving game. even more so with all the expansions.
it's common for new players to just play a game or two and say 'totally random, purely luck-based', or something to that effect. it's not like that, at all.

IMO, I think you need to play Talisman with other people in person to get the full feeling for the strategizing you need to do.  I don't know if I could ever play the Steam version just because I enjoy physical board-gaming so much more.

As to my contribution to this thread, I just finished Artifact Adventure last night.  For anyone who likes old-school DQ and/or FF, it's pretty great.  Some of the writing got a bit lazy (I probably could've come up with something better than the "Swamp King" in about 10 seconds), but overall it's pretty great right up until the end.

I know my Steam backlog isn't as heavy as most peoples since my laptop can't handle all the games I'd LIKE to play, but I feel like I'm just avoiding firing up and finishing Septerra Core at this point.  I think I'm 2 games out from when I took a break from it about a month ago...

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2015, 01:40:43 pm »
Before starting to play the Binding of Isaac Afterbirth, I decided to get the Real Platinum God trophy in Rebirth.
I had to retry a lot but the game eventually handed me victory as
Spoiler:
the Lost
I got 9 Lives twices in one run with Book of Shadow and a resistance rune which I doubled with the Jera rune to make Satan and the Lamb a non issue.
I got Holy Mantle, Broken Remote and Guppy Paws in another run and it was probably the safest run I ever played. XD

Then I made another run to create Super Meat Boy and Super Bandage Girl.
I managed to use the Sharp Plug combo with the Blank Card and a  2 of Hearts to generate infinite energy for the Monster Manual.
Then I switched to Sharp Plug and Kamikaze + Pyromaniac instead. :P

Then I made a few more runs to reroll the Last 2 items I was missing.

According to Steam, I took 410 hours.
... that's over 2 weeks non stop. XD

Anyway, I will propably do a victory run on the "Moon Jazz" seed before playing Afterbirth. ^-^

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2016, 02:54:00 am »
Victoly down to page 3? What is this outrage!  :'(

I beat Rise of the Tomb Raider yesterday. It's even better than the already great last one. I'm glad the stupid XBone time exclusivity only lasted 3 months or so.

Next up: Mordheim & XCOM 2.