News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Re: Victoly!  (Read 25119 times)

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Re: Victoly!
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2014, 06:36:02 am »
Beat Wasteland 2.

I must say I ended up being somewhat disappointed. In case you never heard of this, it's a turn based roleplaying game set in a post apocalyptic world, extremely similiar to Fallout (the original Wasteland 1 is the spirtiual predecessor to Fallout). It offers a very good amount of content and great athmosphere. The world is well built and interesting. The story is ok (you pretty much just help local folks, the big bad only rears its ugly head every few hours for a line or two) - it's a game that is living more off the lore than off the plot, which is totally fine (see for an excellent example: Morrowind). The disappointing part is everything else. The attribute and skill system is just bad. There are only 3 viable character builds attribute wise. Attributes are completely detached from skills, so the only thing attributes concern is combat. So there are strong guys who can walk fast (melee) and guys who can shoot well and often (sniper) and intelligence chars who suck at combat but get more skills (skill donkey).

There are a ton of skills, for example lockpicking, animal whispering or mechanical repair, as you'd expect from a RPG. But the difficulty scaling of skill checks is made in such a way that you need expert characters to keep up with the skill checks. So every character just gets 2 skills you'll dump all your skill points in every few levels. There is no customization or thinking involved in building a character after it is created and you start the game. Every level is just new skill points you have to spend in the same skills every time. Terribly boring. The skill checks themselves also ultimately become boring as hell, because every single chest in the game is locked AND trapped. It just becomes an annoying chore to disarm and open it. The reward is usually just 3 bullets of ammo and a bit of junk to vendor off. You'll also constantly come across containers with only 10-30% success chance. Prepare for the exciting meta gameplay of quicksaving and then trying and reloading as long as it takes to finally open the junk. Or simply ignoring it. But at least early on, the game is balanced around you really going after every scrap. Later on it becomes irrelevant instead.

And the biggest problem, the combat system is very very bad. It looks like another take on the tried and true Jagged Alliance/XCOM formular. Only it's the blandest iteration I've seen so far. There are no skills, no classes. There is just one type of cover. At the end of the day there is nothing to do but just sit down all your chars behind a wall and keep firing at the nearest enemy until the fight is over. By the end I didn't even bother with cover anymore. I just left my guys standing in a big blob where the combat started and kept shooting. That's how dumb the combat here is. The maps also only very rarely offer interesting tactical opportunities. Most maps seem to have been made with aesthetics in mind and not tactics. Blackguards for example was WAY more inventive here, where you could clearly tell that the designers hand crafted every encounter and tried to get a unique twist out of every battle. In Wasteland it's just cannon fodder fights with a random fence you can use as cover if you want, or not, it won't make much of a difference.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a terrible game. What kept me going was exploring the world and seeing how the small surviving communities in this world worked. Still, I can't help but feel terribly disappointed over the massively wasted potential on display here. Divinity was the vastly better RPG this year.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2014, 04:43:22 am »
Beat Battle World Kronos.

It's a hex-grid, turn-based strategy game akin to Battle Isle or Advance Wars. Unlike the later, it has no economy system though. You have to get by with the units you get at the start of the mission and reinforcements you can find during the mission. The same usually holds true for the enemy too though. So instead of an economic war with a lot of back and forth it's really a slow but steady war of attrition. The biggest problem is the bad AI. All units on the map either follow a pre-set patrol route until an enemy is in sight or simply stay where they are until an enemy is in sight. This leads to the obvious tactic of sacrificing a weak or damaged unit to lure down some units out of a well defended position. It works every time, and units that are standing two hexes further won't notice a thing while you dismantle their colleagues.

Overall it was solid but not great. It's not even in the same galaxy as Advance Wars. It's sometimes on sale for less than 10 bucks though, so it doesn't break the bank.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

khalismur

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2014, 05:07:06 am »
Just finished Star Ocean on the SNES. After some attempts many years ago, frustration due to game breaking freezing bugs, I finally beat it on REAL HARDWARE! :-)

Wow! What a blast. Great game. Not too easy but one should be able to beat it without grinding. It has very interesting crafting, affection and skill system and fairly deep customization for a SNES game. Revolutionary for it's time/system... Strongly recomended

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2014, 03:13:57 pm »
Resident Evil: Revelations was up on the PSN for cheap, so I picked it up. It's a fantastic game. The setting is excellent, and the most fleshed out since Zero, and the gameplay hits the right notes between the classic games, and the modern ones. Weapon upgrading returning is also nice, although the system is rather simple compared to 4 and 5, using parts instead of spending money, it also means you can't have everything upgraded at once.

The story is much less convoluted than the previous couple games, although that's offset by the constant jumping between vantage points. Though that does do a good job of breaking the story up, teasing reveals, and most of the characters have enough quirks, or funny dialogue to be interesting. The approach also breaks the flow of gameplay, and characters other than Jill can't upgrade their weapons, so those sections feel very barebones for the most part.

The music is solid, if standard (though the final boss track is a standout, and excellent), and the character models are quite good, especially considering they're touched up 3DS models. The background textures are noticeably mediocre though, and many areas reuse the same layouts, just reskinned.

From a gameplay perspective it's quite good though, especially for fans of RE3, and 4, which is what I would compare it to most.

Mercenaries is gone, and in its place is Raid Mode. As a huge fan of Mercs I was skeptical at first, especially because Raid seems to be geared to co-op (unlike the main game, which although almost always featuring 2-person teams, is single player, thankfully). Raid Mode turned out amazing though. Like a cross between RE, and Borderlands. The RPG elements, especially in terms of constantly finding/buying new guns, looking for random drops etc. It's just addicting.

Took me about 8-9 hours to beat the story last week. I've since played more than double that in Raid Mode over the last 9 days or so. The main game bosses are a bit weak compared to the series' standards, but when they're placed into Raid Mode 2 at a time, I'm somewhat thankful for that. That said, much like its music, the final boss is a true standout.

The game's strongest point may be the new characters. Jill and Chris (and a couple cameos from later games) are the backbone, but the game introduces a lot of new faces, and most of them are interesting, with screen time, and their own personality. Some are more likeable than others, but all of them have their moments.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2014, 03:22:46 pm »
From a gameplay perspective it's quite good though, especially for fans of RE3, and 4, which is what I would compare it to most.

I've had Revelations for a while and haven't really tried it, but this is convincing me otherwise. RE3 was probably my favorite of the classic Resident Evil games, though admittedly largely because of how the game's path could branch.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2014, 05:43:51 pm »
Unfortunately, paths don't branch. You're given a couple instances where you can take different paths, and once the ship begins to open up, there's usually a couple different routes to get from, and to specific locations (usually leading to a handful of large, central rooms).

Towards the endgame for example, there's three different routes that will lead you to your destination. The shortest route (which I took), allowed me to find a new gun, but there was no ammo laying around, and there were mini-boss level enemies all over the place. Needless to say, I grabbed the gun, and ran like hell to my destination. Especially because you're on a 3 gun limit (although any gun you ever pick up goes to the box, so you can switch out when you find one), and said gun didn't have a lot of ammo, nor did I have time to switch it back to something with more ammo before being mauled.

One other interesting thing I noticed. There are lots of sections that don't seem to be plot relevant. Or that are, but can be revisited. There was a door blocking me at one point, and I never found out what was behind it, because I never went back to check.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Isao Kronos

• Kiss From A Rose
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2014, 06:37:00 pm »
finished penny arcade ep 3 the other day

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2014, 05:12:00 pm »
Finished Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright.

I was very sceptical because I don't care much for the Layton games and I had read that Level5 was responsible for this game. But I was too much of a PW fanboy to not at least give it a try. And I was very positively surprised. It really wasn't the Level5 devs interpreting the PW formular, the game was a co development of Level5 and the original Ace Attorney team. Thus the courtroom parts are 100% PW with no bad compromises. And the puzzle parts weren't too bad this time either, so there really isn't much to complain. The overall story was very good (albeit the final plot twist came firmly from the Layton camp aka head -> desk). The two franchises work very well together and each can bring forth their strengths without having to compromise. A nice and welcome surprise.

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2014, 04:40:24 pm »
Finished Full Bore a while ago.

It's a wonderful, but little-known block-pushing adventure platformer, with Metroidvania-style maps and secrets, a story that is presented as cryptic pieces of computer logs and NPC comments, instead of being spoon-fed, and a great soundtrack, that I keep listening to even right now. :)

Steam says it took me 47 hours, but I probably took a few naps or something in this time. And I did restart once in order to pursue an elusive achievement. Still, I feel it was a bit on the long-ish side, I remember growing a bit impatient towards the end, but that's because I was anxious to see the last ending.

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2014, 10:30:42 pm »
Finished XCOM, with the Enemy Within expansion, on Normal. I must admit that I have only played X-COM: Ufo Invasion a couple of times before, so I didnt have much experience with the series as a whole, but at least for a newcomer I am thoroughly impressed with the tightness of this game, and how quickly can shit snowball. I must admit that the greatest part of the game is the gruelling beginning, testing your might all the time and punishing you so badly for every mistake you made. Difficutly lowered notably after my first MEC tho, which coupled with the Slingshot fat loot, made the late and end game relatively easy, with only Sectopods being a threat. I gave a try to a couple of Classic Ironman runs that went nowhere, and been meaning to try The Long War mod, which I have read how much it expands the game and has made me totally curious.

That said, I will probably give it a rest for the time being, my backlog is just too huge to stick much with the game, but I will definitely revisit it sometime and give a proper try to the original "trilogy"
_-|-_

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2014, 01:19:42 pm »
Played and finished Resonance. I really liked the 4 playable character gimmick, it was explored rather well, specially since in general the world reacted differently to each of the characters. I also loved that the puzzles for the most part didnt require some Insane Troll Logic to get by, and while I got stuck over some puzzles, in the end, most of them were me overthinking stuff due to other adventure game bizarre habits on being obtuse. There are a few parts of the plots, specially in regards to the big bad that are a bit egregious, but overall it remains intriguing enough all the time. Highly recommended for adventure games fans
_-|-_

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2014, 02:57:03 pm »
Finished Dragon Age: Inquisition.

It's pretty good. It's definitely quantity over quality, but even the cookie cutter stuff is still decent at least, and there are quests that are great. It's a feast for explorers since the world is really huge and packed with interesting stuff. Sometimes overwhelmingly so. Still I was entertained. Don't expect a return to DA Origins though, it's pretty different to that in most ways.

RPG of the year 2014 remains Divinity Original Sin though, without question.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2014, 07:53:01 pm »
I have put a lot of time into DA:I already, and I don't think I'll be stopping anytime soon. Heck, I've started over twice just for the fun of it. Complaints are few and far between. Just exploring the world is a staggering process, but checking every nook and cranny for extra reading material is and extremely awesome experience to me.

I can't comment on Divinity, but I'm just about done with DA:I and unless in falls apart in the last act, then it's certainly my RPG of the year.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2014, 01:18:26 pm »
Finished Tales of Hearts R (Vita). It's a solid Tales game that doesn't feel castrated for being a mobile game. In other words, it's heaps and bounds better than the sad sad crap we got on the DS from the Tales franchise. At least the stuff we got translations for, can't compare this to the original DS version of Hearts since I haven't played it. The only difference to a console Tales game is that the enemies aren't visible on the map and it's instead a classical random battle every few steps deal as in other JRPGs.

Also a FYI: Unlike most other Tales games that were localized this one only has the Japanese voice acting. Some people wouldn't have wanted it any other way regardless, others don't care (that would be me), but for some I hear this is an issue. *shrug*

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2014, 06:43:37 pm »
Out of curiosity, are you including Tales of the Abyss in the 3DS lineup? If so, what was the issue with that when it was transferred over from the PS2? Honestly, it's probably my least favorite game that I've played in the series, but it's been a long time, and I still consider picking it up from time to time. If it's a mess then I guess I'll skip it anyway.

Isao Kronos

• Kiss From A Rose
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2014, 01:48:37 am »
finished penny arcade ep 4 a few whenevers ago, also saints row iv

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2014, 04:12:17 am »
Out of curiosity, are you including Tales of the Abyss in the 3DS lineup? If so, what was the issue with that when it was transferred over from the PS2? Honestly, it's probably my least favorite game that I've played in the series, but it's been a long time, and I still consider picking it up from time to time. If it's a mess then I guess I'll skip it anyway.

Nah, didn't think about Abyss. I haven't played the 3DS port. I don't know what your issue with it is, I still consider the PS2 version to be the best Tales game all around. It's the only one with a story close to being interesting and it had real character development, something which other Tales games also can't boast with. Don't remember much about the gameplay, standard Tales stuff iirc. Though it has been 10 years since I played it, I might be talking out of my butt.

I.S.T.

• Ten years, still no avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2014, 08:23:52 am »
Beat Bulletstorm. By god, the game is limited. It's got great scenarios in most of the levels, but the enemies are bullet spongy as fuck and the limitations in movement are so severe, you can't even jump. At times, these limitations present themselves as not even being allowed to get 100% next to a wall... which sucks when ammo drops next to it because an enemy you killed flew across the room.

It only happened a few times, luckily.

As for its positives? It's funny as hell, and it doesn't take itself too seriously. The main issue with the dialogue/etc is a spoiler, so I'm gonna put it in tags.

Spoiler:
Ichi, after he's cyborged and has to fight between the AI in his robot parts and keeping his mind intact, doesn't act very logical when the robot side is winning in X scene. He acts angry instead... But, the plot presents it as the logicalness(and brutality) of the AI taking over for the moment. Doesn't really... gel together, if you get what I mean.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2014, 03:31:05 pm »
Bought Kingdom Hearts 1.5 ReMIX a while back, and I put it down when I got to the waterway puzzle in Hollow Bastion. Well, after pre-ordering Kingdom Hearts 2.5 ReMIX and getting close to finishing that, I went back to 1.5 and finished KH Final Mix. There's a trophy for beating the game without using a continue, which is really freaking hard to get, and another for not changing equipment at all. I mean, Kingdom Hearts was already a tough game, and those two "accomplishments" don't seem worth trying to get.

Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix was actually decently difficult, at least it was a lot more difficult than the original PS2 release was. Perhaps Critical Mode was a factor? I'm not sure, but at least I had to think this time around. It was pretty fun going back and playing KH2 again, since the only two times I went through the game was back in 2005 or 2006 when it was first released.

I also finally managed to beat Rogue Legacy, and that took forever.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

I.S.T.

• Ten years, still no avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2014, 06:31:14 am »
Those two trophies you mention can be done on easy mode.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016