News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Re: Victoly!  (Read 25150 times)

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
Re: Re: Victoly!
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2014, 04:08:03 pm »
I finished ending D in Drakengard 3.

Let's just say it's an appropriate middle finger from Yoko Taro to Drakengard 1 vets.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2014, 05:46:36 pm »
I finished ending D in Drakengard 3.

You absolute bastard. I gave up on that after about three hours :(

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2014, 07:05:24 pm »
You absolute bastard. I gave up on that after about three hours :(

Use this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXTI88FGuvI

It's insane otherwise. Even then, it's TOUGH.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2014, 11:45:00 am »
...aaaaaaand Divinity is done. Fantastic game, worth every penny :thumbsup:

My review on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/kaioshin62/recommended/230230

Btw: You can get the game for very cheap via the Steam trading forum. The Collector's Edition comes with a second game key and many people try to sell them off for less than half the game's normal retail price.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2014, 02:15:56 pm »
I finished the bonus disk of Touhou Labyrinth and got access to New Game +.
It was nice but there is a lot of grinding to to at the final floor to beat the last few bosses.
How much? Well, chances are you'll level up all the character you're using to at least level 500.
Outside of that, the final boss (20th floor), getting to the 21th floor and maybe the few bosses you'll get stuck,
you won't need to do much extra grinding assuming you fight the random battles as you explore.

I can't help but feel the last bosses at the 30th floor were artificially given high level.
Then again... when you get there, every random battles is a boss fight and only a few are realistically doable when you first arrive.
Then you manage to beat a few more of them. As you do so, you start to fight the bosses that must be defeated to open the way to the 30th floors bosses.
Since you can't beat them yet, you take note of what is going wrong in the battles against those bosses.
You run out of gas midway through the battle? You spend bonus points on SP to prevent that.
Your tank died? You spend bonus points on its HP and defense.
Master Spark does a ton of damage? You boost Marisa Intelligence.
Grinding in this game is strategic and in the whole process of finishing the last floor, you can see your team getting better.
By the time you're getting ready to take on the final final bonus boss,
those encounter that were at first bosses end up being small fry that get defeated relatively quickly as you do at least 1 million damage per hit.
Was that what the maker(s?) of the game going for? If that's the case, it's a success.

In any case, if you don't mind lot of grinding at the end, the Bonus Disk of Touhou Labyrinth is good.
If you do mind the grinding, just go to the 30 floor and then consider calling it a day (as the pacing is fine up to that point). : P

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2014, 05:23:56 am »
Beat Tropico 4. The campaign has 20 missions, I played the first 12 some weeks back and took a break. It's a fun game, though the missions all play extremely similiar eventually. It's also telling that you can beat each mission in about 2 hours. That's 2 hours to reach an island with all building types, so this also applies to free play. Sure you can always go for a bigger city, but I prefer the slower pace of Anno where I can play 15 hours on one game if I want to and still feel challenged.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2014, 09:12:58 am »
Beat Persona 4 Golden on PSVita (True End).

I enjoyed it more much than Persona 3, probably because I could now play it removed from the "bestest game evar!!1" hype that surrounded that. The battle systems feels much more like a full fledged press turn version and not like the watered down version from P3 (no forced Ai control, yay!). And the battles in general are as finely tuned as ever. The story also had a strong mystery that made you want to continue. I also liked the characters much more. The pacing however was completely terrible. There are way too long segments of nothing but boring daily life, often with not even Social Links to progress on. IIRC P3 had one chapter including a dungeon for every month. P4 has segments with 3 months of nothing happening. At those times it's really really painful to keep playing. The director of this game needs to be fired, but I guess this slice of life shit is what the fanboys crave, and in their mind the boredom adds to the "realism".

Also:
Spoiler:
In the end friendship saves the world...

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2014, 02:24:24 pm »
Im quite surprised how many games you bother to go up to the end Kaio.
_-|-_

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2014, 02:49:21 pm »
I have a huge backlog of unplayed games, but if I do start playing something, I tend to see it through, unless it really does something wrong.

I would finish way more games if I wouldn't get stuck on so many MMOs. Once I get bored with one a new content update for another gets released and I'm back on that for 2 or 3 weeks. Rinse repeat. I just squeeze some single player games in between the cracks.

Mew seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2014, 03:30:14 pm »
Beat Persona 4 Golden on PSVita (True End).

Well then I have a few pictures for you then. ^^

What did you think of the Contrarian King? You know, that otional boss that starts  the battle by casting a flame barrier on itself? : P

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2014, 04:22:29 pm »
Can't say I remember it. I had to look it up and I'm not even 100% sure I fought that boss. I didn't do any optional bosses after the first one. And that was the second one I believe? Judging from the Wiki entry I read I didn't miss anything, just a weak weapon.

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2014, 05:07:04 am »
So I picked up a PS3 last month, and the games have been rolling in.

Rogue Legacy - Picked it up on PS3's game launch, and it was very hard. :laugh: I did beat it, though! It only took a badass dragon to beat a boss before Johannes went down. Haven't finished NG+ yet though.

Borderlands 2 - A bunch of co-workers were bugging me to get this, and when I saw it for $13 on Amazon I snatched it up. This game was a lot better than I was expecting, and after going broke fighting Jack and the Warrior, they were finally conquered.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2014, 05:39:45 am »
Danganronpa - Not as good as VLR/999/PW. But decent.

RadicalR

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2014, 06:04:24 pm »
Just finished Splatterhouse (2010). The only good thing I can say about that game is that it comes with an arcade version of Splatterhouse 1, and Splatterhouse 2 and 3.

Currently working on Way of the Samurai 3. This game is so much fun.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2014, 06:50:13 am »
Blackguards.

A strategy RPG based on the Dark Eye ruleset. It motivated me enough to finish marathon it to completion in 3 days, but it definitely has some hefty flaws. The Steam reviews were already pretty hit & miss, ranging from awesome to completely worthless. And indeed, if you can't put up with the problems, you won't enjoy it at all. If you do, it's pretty engaging because of the very varied mission designs.

The problems (the cliffnote version):

- Extremely linear, no way to step out the chain of missions and level up for example
- Fixed party with forced character removals. First playthrough you WILL get fucked by this. Considering the fixed party really only 1 class for the main character is viable. But you don't know that until after you've played it... I still beat it with the "wrong" class though, but you will still feel fooled by the game
- Extreme difficulty, sometimes with too big of a RNG influence
- The ruleset isn't made transparent to the user (or at all really), a lot of things won't make sense unless you already know the rules from the tabletop or the Drakensang games

Example: The game displays a hit chance for attacks, but even with 90% hit chance you can attack 5 times in a row and not hit. Why? That chance is just for successful attack, after that the enemy can roll a parry and a dodge check. This isn't mentioned /anywhere/ in the game. Instead you'll be left alone feeling like the RNG is stacked against you. It's not, the rules are just piss poorly communicated.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2014, 08:49:05 pm »
Took me 4 years, and a couple playtrhoughs, but I finally got the Platinum for Final Fantasy XIII.

Still one of my favorite games in the series, even with its flaws.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Mew seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2014, 03:01:41 am »
Took me 4 years, and a couple playtrhoughs, but I finally got the Platinum for Final Fantasy XIII.

Still one of my favorite games in the series, even with its flaws.

Getting the platinum can be a lot of trouble witth all the money gathering you need to do.
Thankfully, you can save and reload to get some of these with little consequences. ^^

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2014, 11:30:25 am »
Done with Ys 7. I haven't actually beaten it, but I'm too tired to grind for the final boss. Being forced to use all characters is a real dick move.

I must say I feel like it's in general a weak-ish Ys game. I don't think it profited from having multiple party members. Having to switch characters all the time in some areas is rather annoying and I cought myself losing the overview of the situation sometimes when 3 characters were running around in the same spot. What really dragged it down for me was the unusual (for Ys) focus on story and dialogues. It's still the same "Adol is the chosen one AGAIN" story for the 7th time, just presented with 5 times as much unskippable dialogue and melodrama as in previous games. I could have really lived without that.

I.S.T.

• Ten years, still no avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2014, 01:42:29 pm »
What I liked about Oath it doesn't really do that. yes, he does wind up fixing things, but it's more because he happened to be in the right place in the right time rather than being THE CHOSEN ONE.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Mew seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2014, 02:51:25 pm »
What I liked about Oath it doesn't really do that. yes, he does wind up fixing things, but it's more because he happened to be in the right place in the right time rather than being THE CHOSEN ONE.

You mean like Gordon Freeman?  :D