News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Re: Victoly!  (Read 66235 times)

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Re: Victoly!
« Reply #180 on: April 03, 2017, 01:32:50 am »
Is this only for video games that you beat, or can I use this space to talk about accomplishments related to gaming?

I finally have my streaming setup just about right, and can do streaming (24fps tops though, my ram buffer is just not that great nor is my connection), but honestly, I don't have a lot of concentration right now to devote to playing games for long periods of time, and actually am not doing that great at games right now either heh.

I drink too freaking much. I quit that...
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #181 on: April 08, 2017, 09:09:45 am »
Beat Mass Effect: Andromeda. The animation memes are well known around the internet by now, so nothing new to say there. Back aside from that it's more of the same. If you liked previous ME games I don't see why this would suddenly be offensive. The gaming community is overly hyperbolical when it comes to this game. The real main difference is that there is a ton of open world style padding. But it's not mandatory and easy to ignore. Since Persona 5 was approaching I kind of only focused only on the main story and completely ignored 2 planets that would have been there to explore and develop entirely. It didn't feel like I missed anything. I'll leave it to everyone to decide for themselves if that's a good or a bad thing :P
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 16, 2017, 08:06:39 pm »
Finished Star Ocean: Second Evolution today.  I loved the original PS1 version a lot (SO2 is still easily the best SO game IMO), but the changes in SE definitely make it a bit better.  The game itself is mostly the same (there are a few changes, including a cameo character that I personally didn't like much...but she's there), but the quality of life changes like item creation animations made this version so much better to me.  A lot of the VA is tons better than the original, although I do miss a few old cheesy standbys ("TEAR INTO PIECES" is sadly gone :( ).  Really, it is the definitive version of this game IMO.

2 things that are very different and slightly frustrating from the original though:  I'm pretty sure this is a bug, but star guards are accessories rather than shields, making some parts of postgame more difficult than they probably should have been; and Ethereal Queen seems absurdly more difficult in this version than I ever remember her being in the original.  I know she's a super-boss, but I remember beating her regularly with a party at ~lvl 200 in the original, whereas in SE my level 200 party got absolutely crushed constantly.  Not sure if this was a change in SE or me just being better at video games before, but I definitely had to work a LOT harder to beat EQ in SE.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 21, 2017, 01:42:25 pm »
Finished Night in the Woods.
I don't really know how to feel about this game,
It was over very abruptly, it was kinda sad, weird, and occasionally depressing too,
Overall it is a pretty good narrative I guess, I was just oversold on the supernatural elements,
I kinda missed a lot of stuff too despite my best efforts, maybe I'll come back and try different choices sometime.
Sleepy's Tune of the week || Bibio - The Milky-Way over Ratlinhope - https://youtu.be/nfwDo5ioKSs

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 24, 2017, 09:39:23 pm »
Replayed SNES Star Ocean, and was reminded of how much more I like it than the remake!  There's a number of plot additions I probably like better in the PSP version, but I generally like the game systems much more on the SNES (it's quite a bit more difficult to exploit the daylights out of the item creation/talent system than in the SO2 engine used in the remake).  I even got the special ending this time, which was a first for me, despite finishing it a number of times before

3 beefs with the game though--2 kind of minor (and 1 that was fixed in the remake), and 1 kind of serious.  2 plot points always bothered me with SO1: what happened to the "20 million" people kidnapped on Roak?  and Asmodeus is really poorly explained (although there are some subtle things hinting at it that I hadn't noticed in past playthroughs).  I don't think the former was addressed in the remake, and although the latter was, I actually noticed the Fargettians were much more similar to Asmodeus in the SNES version than I remembered, although a bit of exposition wouldn't have hurt...

The really major thing I still despise (and refuse to play the bonus dungeon because of) is the breakable status accessories---especially stone charms.  1 battle literally broke an entire party's worth of charms with those spinning eye things, and it's utterly absurd to me that you'd make the most important accessory in the game break at a 10% rate and protect only 70% of the time.  If a hacker could fix this even just to bring it into line with the Poison (2%) or Paralysis (5%) break rates, I'd be eternally grateful!

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Victoly!
« Reply #185 on: May 05, 2017, 08:05:59 am »
I wanna announce a special announcement; I am happy simply because I managed to *sit through a game.* I've been super up and down lately, it's been like a roller coaster ride through limbo, but I managed today to stay calm and on task enough to play through Final Fight Guy on Easy Difficulty. :P I picked Haggar and sat on everyone.

>Sigh< I feel like an old splintered drumstick
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 09, 2017, 07:49:21 pm »
After over 700 hours of gameplay (about a month), I finally got all of the achievements for the Binding of Isaac Afterbirth +. It's being long. Like, really long. It was tiring at times. At other times, it was cool or epic. There was times I totally cheesed the game and ended up with bullets the size of a whole room or invincibility for several minutes in a boss fight or being able to heal back to full health after being hit a few times. Other times I had to squeeze everything I had to make it like rerolling myself to heal or pushing a coin out of the way by dropping and picking up pills.

And now, I am not sure what's next. XD
Maybe I'll take a break before trying another game? XD

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 09, 2017, 07:54:25 pm »
After over 700 hours of gameplay (about a month)...

Damn. I couldn't imagine. I'm lucky to beat a game that takes 50 hours.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 09, 2017, 08:05:16 pm »
Damn. I couldn't imagine. I'm lucky to beat a game that takes 50 hours.

A single session will generally last less than an hour although if you try to min-max it can last longer.
I just played over and over and over over a long period of time, taking breaks when I got burned or got everything until the next expansion.
It was a marathon.
But if you want a better idea, check the Let's Plays by Northernlion. :)

Afterbirth+

Sorry, there are no playlist for Rebirth and Afterbirth? XD

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 11, 2017, 12:13:16 am »
I finally beat Shadowrun for the SNES. I'm not sure how long it took since I already had the save on my Powerpak from a few months ago. The last level (the Aneki building) wasn't near as tough as Drake's Volcano.

Verdict: It was a great game but the next time I play it I'm using money and karma cheats from the get go. I used a Game Genie code for infinite money once I got to the volcano because the constant farming needed to buy mercenaries and equipment was becoming a serious buzzkill. Money was always in short supply even after hacking into as many computers as I could.

Kinda sad that there wasn't a sequel on the SNES because the ending pretty much told you to look forward to "Shadowrun II". :'(
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 11, 2017, 02:11:06 am »
For that game I recommend spending the least amount of money as possible and only spending it on stuff you absolutely need. That game is very stingy on money and is incredibly grindy...

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #191 on: May 11, 2017, 11:22:10 am »
I never hire mercs in Shadowrun SNES. Kitsune is the exception, but once she joins she'll always rejoin (you won't have to re-hire her.) It's still a little grindy, but substantially less so if you don't spend any money on hired help.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #192 on: May 11, 2017, 03:30:33 pm »
Finally beat Persona 5. It's a loooong game. I'm usually a pretty fast player and finish stuff well before the average. I don't grind, I read pretty fast and don't always wait for VA to play if that's a thing in a game and I tend to skim or skip NPC/sidequest dialogue I identify as pointless fluff. In P5's case I definitely didn't grind, as my level at the end was about 15 lower than the average player's (there are online stats for that ingame). Still took me 73 hours. I don't recall the last time I played something this long. And I really have to commend the game, up to the 60 hour mark I wasn't even a bit fatigued with the game either. Only during the last 10 hours or so did I start wishing for it to wrap things up already. That's quite the achievement for a game. I still think it could and should have been 20% shorter at least though. Can't have everything.

I believe most people around here are familiar with the series, so I'll base my thoughts in comparison to P4G to make it shorter.

Negatives:
- The pacing is terrible. Instead of a varied mix between dungeon crawling and social life there are looooong blocks of nothing but one of them. 5 hours dungeon, 5 hours reading text, 5 hours dungeon etc... If there is one problem with this game this is it. It can't be this hard to break this up more. (And technically you don't have to play it this way as you can spread out dungeon visits more, but due to the time limit constraints, no one will actually do that, so let's not get cheeky here).
- I liked P4's cast more. P5 only had two party members or so I really liked while in 4 almost the whole cast was great.
- The school stuff should have been localized some. I don't want to have to learn the meaning of a single stroke in some kanji, the birthday of some Japanese politician from 250 years ago or the symbolism of some Shogi piece. Fucking weeaboos.
- It feels like the game is robbing you of social time all the time when it forces you to end a day early just because of some story event that occured that day that took 20 minutes tops. Met a bad guy on the street and exchanged 5 words with him? BETTER GO TO BED IMMEDIATELY. Come on.

Goods:
- Finally real, handcrafted dungeons with very varied layouts and tons of puzzles. Gone are the dreadfull random corridors of boredom. This is a huge deal.
- Good story. I liked it more overall than 4's. It's surprisingly political
Spoiler:
though at the very end the political stuff gets completely replaced again by the typical Megami Tensei attack on religion like in all the other Megami Tensei games. It kind of lost something for me there as the uniqueness drained away.
- Social Links finally also have real gameplay benefits. And they are almost all so useful you even have to think hard about which to focus on first.
- Anything else that was already good about P4 stayed as good.

While I have a few criticisms, overall the game is very good and you'll be hard pressed to find alternatives that are as good in the genre nowadays. Since FFXV kind of turned out to be a horrible accident Persona is now defacto the genre reference and will probably keep that title for a long time. So if you like JRPGs, get this game. It's unlikely you'll be disappointed.

9/10
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Isao Kronos

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2017, 07:44:12 pm »
Finished Tales of Symphonia HD (aka the third time i've finished the game, first two were on Gamecube), now I'm debating on whether i want to jump right into Dawn of the New World or wait.
will hackrom for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #194 on: May 21, 2017, 04:12:19 am »
Finished Prey.

Absolutely fantastic game. For me personally a strong contender for game of the year for sure. But it's not for everyone. If you see screenshots you'll think FPS, but that genre label really does it injustice. It's basically in a direct line with System Shock 2 and Deus Ex. First person RPGs with a strong focus on exploration and narrative. The gunplay isn't even very good and the game also doesn't hide that fact. Heck there are only 3 different guns that just directly do damage. Instead the loadout is filled out with stuff like 5 different grenades with very specific purposes or a nerf gun that shoots rubber arrows. Ammunition is also very sparse so you'll often rather consider to find ways to sneak past enemies or make the environment work for you.

The game is about an alien force taking over a space station (okay yeah, they really liked System Shock 2, but how can one not?). And the station might just be the best designed environment in a game to date. It's not just huge, the attention to detail is absolutely mind blowing. Every single room on the station has a logical purpose. Every single body on the station has a name, a workplace and an office or a room to sleep in somewhere on the station. You can go through the crew manifest and search and account for every single one of them (there is even an achievement for that). There aren't just random bodies sprinkled through random corridors that were put in some arbitrary sequence to unleash enemies on the player. It's a snapshot in time of a simulated space station basically. It makes exploration so very rewarding and unique. And it's not just the inside of the station, you can also go outside in a space suit and see how it all connects as a big picture or you can look behind the walls so to speak and go into the crawl spaces and maintenance spaces between the rooms, into the guts of the station. It's so immersive and cool.

Best of all, they even found a way to make it worthwhile to explore every nook and cranny gameplay wise too since the game has a fantastic loot system. Anything you can pick up is useful somehow since you can put it into a replicator to disassemble it and then use those ressources to make upgrades or ammunition.

10/10.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 21, 2017, 01:10:25 pm »
Finished Valkyrie Profile the other day again.  Definitely bad endings all around in this game, but the gameplay is pretty solid, and the setup mechanics are great.  Not to mention the in-battle VA is probably some of the best in any game (Great Magic incantations are almost without exception excellent).

But still....it just feels like there was so much more that could/should have been done with this game and its setting that simply wasn't.

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 23, 2017, 09:19:09 pm »
I finished the main quest of Zelda: BotW a couple days ago. It's the first open-world game I've played to completion, and it was definitely one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a while. I'm proud to say that I discovered all of the hard-to-find stuff on my own, and that I played almost all the way to the very end before consulting any guides, and that was to find one last shrine that ended up being in plain sight in a spot I'd detoured around before. I say proud because the game is just so huge and packed with stuff (except when it's not*) that it's hard to resist the urge to use a guide to make sure you don't miss anything.

For me, the game scratched a lot of itches that fit with my somewhat ADHD personality. For example: Got a lead on where to go next in the main quest. Cool. Here I g-- Hey, are those mushrooms over there? (Two minutes later) OK. Here I go now. Huh? What's that light on top of that mountain over there? Let me go climb it and check. (Ten minutes later). OK, NOW I can move on with-- Hey! A monster camp! (rinse and repeat). Basically, the game lets you get away with (and actually rewards you for) putting off the stuff you're supposed to do in order to take care of other distractions. And the best part is that you can do it guilt free, since the whole game itself is one big distraction anyway.

*There's quite a bit of open space in the game, but then again, that's true in the real world, too.

Good:
- Beautiful, believable world that feels lived in.
- The dynamic soundtrack is pretty genius. Minimal, yes, but appropriate.
- So much freedom to do whatever. They weren't kidding when they said it's a big chemistry set.
- The combo of climbing and paragliding is probably the most satisfying exploration mechanic ever. Shield surfing is OK too.
- Just when you think you've discovered all there is to find... Nope. There's another new thing.

Bad:
- Starts to feel a bit monotonous once you stop finding so many new things.
- The story is just OK. Zelda was fine, but the other characters could have used a lot more development.
- Upgrading all your armor to the max makes you OPAF, although I guess maybe that's the point.

On that last bad point, the only reason I call it bad is that once I outfitted myself with all the best stuff, monster encounters, which at first felt like a real fight for Link's life, felt way too easy. I almost felt sorry for the monsters. Even the final showdown felt really easy. On the other hand, maybe that's the point. You start out with nothing, and then through time and effort get to the point where you're basically invincible.

*Minor spoilers below*
Spoiler:
The best moment in the game for me was probably when I destroyed a guardian stalker for the first time. Guardian stalkers are those spider-like machines that walk around in certain areas of the game. One was featured in the trailer. They're terrifying early on in the game, because they're fast, this really creepy, frantic music starts playing whenever you get spotted by one, after which it will immediately start training its laser on you, and that laser that can kill you in one hit.

I killed my first one after getting a special weapon that can one-shot them. As it was getting ready to fire at me, I looked it right in the eye,
 aimed, and fired. A cool, bass drum-heavy theme played, and it blew up. So satisfying.

I would recommend this game to anybody who's a fan of the Zelda series, Minecraft, or open-world games in general. I really do think it's one of the best games ever made, and I'm really excited for the DLC.
Sign THIS!

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #197 on: June 01, 2017, 09:13:43 am »
Finished the campaign of Injustice 2. In case you aren't in the know, Injustice is a fighting game by the Mortal Kombat devs in which DC super heroes fight each other. Unlike most fighting games these don't just have a string of arcade matches as a single-player mode but a elaborate campaign with tons of story and cutscenes and changing fighters. And the stories are surprisingly really really good. If you just put all the cutscenes together you'd end up with a better comic book movie than DC's last cinema attempts combined...
Injustice 2 was just as good in this regard. There is also tons of character building and customization available with daily missions and other single-player content, but since there are so many games and so little time I'll be moving on for the time being. Either way, full recommendation from me.

Also replayed Stellaris with the latest DLC expansions. Compared to the release version the game feels much more complete now. The idle time in mid-game where the game felt like it was just idling around aimlessly is gone thanks to ascension perks, faction goals and tons more events that can and will happen. I'm very happy with the direction the game is heading. Just as I finished my game I also stumbled over an amazing mod. If I don't forget I'll be making a new thread about that one though later as I feel it's worth showing it to a larger audience. My total playtime with Stellaris crossed past the 100h threshold now too.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 02, 2017, 06:37:32 pm »
I recently beat the extremely underappreciated free PC game Wandering Souls on "Lunatic" (highest) difficulty.  A very solid 29 hrs.

meunierd

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 05, 2017, 07:54:27 pm »
I'm really late to the party but I heard everyone's playing Zelda so I finished Skyward Sword. :woot!:

I really loved the dungeon designs; they really encouraged lateral thinking, but weren't so obtuse that I ever felt the need to look anything up.

Flying was lots of fun but it's a shame the world felt so empty, just a bunch of rocks floating around. The hub world felt similarly lacking even though care was obviously put into giving most of the villagers some kind of personality.

The motion controls were fine once you got comfortable with the degree of precision offered, including the input delay but everyone once in a while my Wiimote would get "drunk" and the motions that registered made no sense whatsoever until I reconnected the remote. Few of the boss fights were satisfying though the final one is pretty cool.

All in all I liked it more than I thought I would even if it wasn't incredible. Shadow of the Colossus scratches my Zelda itch in a way the real deal maybe never will.