News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Re: Victoly!  (Read 66071 times)

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: Victoly!
« Reply #160 on: January 07, 2017, 03:44:43 pm »
Isn't XV set to have one of those season pass deals, where a lot of the story isn't even out yet?

That would explain why so much is missing (and of course considering it's relation in world with XIII and Type-0, we'll see at least two sequels).
that's why I'm going to wait for the 'complete PC edition' to come out in a year or so. perhaps the game can yet be salvaged with all the DLCs they're going to put out in the meantime. multiplayer was hinted to as well, so it probably makes sense to wait for that as well.
also, I think there's a movie or something that fleshes out some of the plot details. guess that's their excuse for screwing it up in-game, but perhaps at least it's something to help with understanding the plot.
also, weren't the parallels to XIII scraped out during the development? I thought the XIII trilogy is self-contained, finished and complete. but it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to milk dry the franchise by including a Lightning DLC or something. we'll see.

and to keep up with the topic, let's see...

finished Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. it's not bad, but really, all those QTEs shouldn't be necessary in a competent Castlevania. the plot is also kinda meh. and the DLC boss is boring, so I just went and set the difficulty to squire (easiest) for those DLC missions. I liked Mirror of Fate much better, it was kind of a exciting experience, and the boss fights were a rush. but this one went really boring at times, so it took me a few years or so to finally force myself to beat it. but it wasn't atrocious, like for example another game I've recently beat:

DmC: Devil May Cry. I have very little to say about this new DmC iteration, but I'll just quote the game itself. FUCK YOU DANTE.

also, finished FEZ with 209.4% (legitimate maximum, afaik). the game is really good in presenting a sense of mystery and adventure, and I really liked the mechanics and all, but couldn't really appreciate the QR code puzzles, because I don't use a smartphone. so just checked out their solutions online. which reminds me, gotta finish Braid some day. whatever. next.

finished Agarest: Generations of War a while ago. on hard. twice. this was probably one of the longest, most time-consuming games to beat in my experience. not counting MMORPGs and clickers. yeah. clickers.
anyway, it took me 190 hours to beat the new game+ and get the true ending, but possibly much less in actual gameplay, considering me leaving games on while I sleep. it's a real blessing that the game includes an option to automatically SKIP all battle animations, and while it was nice to look at all the acrobatics and pretty colours from time to time, I imagine leaving them on for the whole game would easily extend it to 300+ hours.
I've yet to tackle the extended boundary plane, and I'm still missing a few titles, but it can be considered beat anyway, because the post-game content consists solely of fights, fights, and more fights. I've been using all the DLC equipment and bonus points, so I had a headstart for a large part of the game, but the latter parts were hard enough anyway. the final bosses, especially gods, gave me a lot of trouble, even with all those DLC beefed-up stats and endgame pumped-up gear, and I had to resort to some really cheap tactics to overkill the shit out of these guys (cast revive on everyone, spread apart the team to avoid area kills, hold out for a few rounds to accumulate SP, then unleash a long, long chain of everybody's ultimates).
while it never reached the strategic depths of, say Final Fantasy Tactics, it's still a nice game for those long winter evenings. the waifus are hot, the party banter is heartwarming, and the quirks and oddities of the game system are quite interesting to work out, if somewhat bare.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #161 on: January 07, 2017, 04:20:09 pm »
I've seen the movie, it's absolutely required to be able to understand anything (and not very good, but hey, required homework for playing a game is cool). You can consider it to be practically a 2 hour intro FMV. Only that most characters established die or are never referenced again :-\

It's soooooo terrible. The more you think about it and try to remember examples you realize how bad it really is.

You know how movies can often get away with these things because the action or the suspense is so engaging that you don't have the time to look back and examine what happened so plotholes don't bother most viewers? Well that won't work here where half the game time is waiting for the car to automatically drive you from A to B with nothing to do. There are trecks that take 5-7 minutes real-time during which nothing happens.

Sorry I need to stop before I fall into a rant trance.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 08, 2017, 01:34:09 pm »
You know how movies can often get away with these things because the action or the suspense is so engaging that you don't have the time to look back and examine what happened so plotholes don't bother most viewers? Well that won't work here where half the game time is waiting for the car to automatically drive you from A to B with nothing to do. There are trecks that take 5-7 minutes real-time during which nothing happens.

Sorry I need to stop before I fall into a rant trance.

I definitely understand this feeling (FF 5, 8, 12, and 13 set me right off, although 12 slightly less than the rest)---I watched some gameplay videos of XV to kind of get a feeling of what the game looked like, and I was disappointed by everything except the graphics engine.  The car itself seems like more of a gimmick that gave developers an excuse to put in a hot female mechanic than anything with a real point.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2017, 07:36:37 pm »
Just recently finished Fallout New Vegas for the umpteenth time.  I don't think I ever realized it before, but NV is easily one of the best International Relations/Poli-Sci sims out there, no holds bar.  I kept being amazed at how much IR material there is to the game, and of course the happiest endings all come with siding with the traditional nation-state (NCR) and following rational IR thought.  I think I might be an even bigger fan of the game than I was before (if that's possible).

Still, those legion assassin squads are game-breaking early on. 

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2017, 06:38:39 pm »
Finished Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc on PC, and recieved the gift of more Danganronpa! In the form of a.., Resource Management game? Also was not expecting the mastermind to be THAT person.
Sleepy's Tune of the week || Bibio - The Milky-Way over Ratlinhope - https://youtu.be/nfwDo5ioKSs

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 04, 2017, 09:41:43 pm »
Finished 1Bit Heart, Really good free indie thing, I think the one place described it as a "Friendship Making RPG?", anyway most of the potential friends are hilariously insane/terrifying and make it worth it just see out their relatively short stories,
the main story is pretty decent and has elements of logic puzzles like Ace Attorney and Danganronpa,
some of it was a little difficult but nothing too nasty as long as you think clearly and have plenty of health from making friends.
Graphics are probably the most unique thing? very pastel colored, odd shapes, lack of animation frames, makes everything seem kinda craft papery without really looking cheap either,
music ranges from decent to head bopping good at points, I actually really like the Sweet Beach and Break Passage themes for some reason.

Bonus scenario cut off with talk of an unrevealed serial killer, which sucks, but hopefully it'll be resolved if/when Miwashiba decides to make the sequel, 1Beat Heart

http://vgperson.com/games/1bitheart.htm

Sleepy's Tune of the week || Bibio - The Milky-Way over Ratlinhope - https://youtu.be/nfwDo5ioKSs

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 04, 2017, 11:21:46 pm »
A bit late, but I finished what turned out to be a kind of playtesting of Maeson's BoF2 hack.  I think he did a great job with stuff overall, but there were some balance issues that needed to be worked out (and he fixed quite fast, despite being on vacation!).  Infinity is still, bar none, the best final dungeon in any game I've ever played--it just really feels like you're painfully descending that giant tower from the opening, and I really can't think of another final dungeon that does the mood and feel better.

I know people don't agree, but BoF 2 is definitely one of my favorite games, and if someone could fix up those bugs (elemental skills should be elemental!) and make that compatible with this hack, it would be perfect!

One legitimate beef I do have with BoF 2 is Sten's back story and the entire Highfort scenario.  I mean, where the hell is Goonheim?  And are the Highfort mercenaries fighting the rebels or what?  It was just really jarring how it seemed like that particular scenario seems so completely disjointed from everything else. 

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 05, 2017, 01:13:26 am »
I beat VS Castlevania without dying (edit - or resetting the dipswitches in any way, yeah). I could hardly believe it. I mean, on one quarter, without my life bar reaching 0 once, the timer reaching 0 once, and without falling off the screen or into any water, once. I kicked the crap out of the thing.

I just sort of sat there staring at it afterwards. I kind of thought to myself, "Are we finished here? Fuck you Dracula. Shut your stupid face and go back to being dead." It was almost....I dunno, kind of what you'd call a catharsis for me...

...Back to your regularly scheduled RHDN programming
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2017, 11:10:20 pm »
Finished Banner Saga again, with a bit of help this time.  The first time I played was a total mess from start to finish, but this time I feel like I actually understood and took advantage of the game mechanics.  Final battle in normal was amazingly easier than the first time too---I honestly steamrolled Bellower when I prepped for the fight to be as frustrating as before.

Gameplay and story-wise this game is pretty much a classic IMO.  And that makes me worried abut the sequel--I've poked around looking at the skill/stat system, and I'm not totally convinced the gameplay is going to be as good as the first game.  That said, I'm still gonna play the hell out of it.

Now, with what I consider a damn near perfect save, I just have to wait for BS2 to go on sale...

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 16, 2017, 11:49:51 am »
grabbed Alien: Isolation on discount and finished it during the last few evenings. wasn't expecting much, but it turns out that it's a surprisingly competent stealth/survival horror/fps (not much shooting though). if I were to draw parallels, I'd even compare it to System Shock (derelict space station and the overall atmosphere) or Thief (stealth mechanics and slow, deliberate progression).
the Alien is scary and intelligent, the stealth mechanics are tight (but not without this genre's idiocies, like ducking behind chairs) and it's obvious that the team responsible wasn't cutting corners during the production. they even hired the cast from the original Alien (1979) for voiceovers (because the story is somewhat connected). I'd very much like a sequel, but unfortunately, from what I understand, Isolation didn't sell extremely well, so chances for a sequel are rather slim.
anyway, nothing's perfect, and Isolation is not without its flaws. the plot is kinda standard and the characters are not really fleshed out. but the gameplay is superb if you're into scary, retro-futuristic survival horror.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #170 on: February 17, 2017, 02:22:28 pm »
Been sick in bed/on the couch for the last two weeks. Couldn't concentrate enough for gaming either, so I only started playing a bit this week. Beat two games that time:

- Steins;Gate Zero (PS VITA). Unlike the name implies it's not a prequel but a sidestory to S;G. It takes place between the very last scenes of the true ending of the main game. Since time travel is involved that two sentence time frame from the main game can become 6 routes with ~6h story each here :P Needless to say, this is not the game to start with and it's pretty much required to have played the main game first.
I was pretty disappointed. Considering it takes place one minute to midnight and all the setup is done it's hard to believe how much padding and filler this game has again. The extra story content also barely feels like it really expands the whole experience. So, meh. Didn't bother with all routes, got half of them and realized I didn't want to read the rest too.

-Star Ocean Integrity & Faithlessness (PS4). Spoiler: The name has absolutely no connection to anything happening in the game. Who would have thought? I believe SO4 was the biggest insult to my gaming sensibilities ever and there are few games I hate as much. Why did I still play this one then? Morbid curiosity? It didn't look as bad from previews? Hey, I'm sick and need to pass the days somehow. Fortunately it's actually a decent game. Gameplay and story are standard, but the cast is sympathetic at least (no cat girl on acid this time) and the pace is brisk and the crafting and character building systems are very motivating. It's also pretty short, ~25 hours and I did 100% of the sidequests. I honestly had more fun with this for large parts than with FFXV. And this one sits at 59% metacritic while FFXV is at 81/84 depending on platform. :laugh:
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #171 on: February 17, 2017, 11:22:31 pm »
I played a bit of Star Ocean 5 myself, but hoo boy that camera is just murder on my eyes.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #172 on: February 21, 2017, 03:13:08 pm »
Beat Hard West (PC).

It's an interesting indie turn-based strategy game in the X-Com vein, but with a supernatural wild west setting and a large survival/chose-your-own-adventure style world map component. The combat is servicable though I've played better, but the overworld scenarios are very varied and interesting. Instead of a single narrative throughout the whole game you play a series of scenarios with different characters that sometimes intersect and flow into each other. Coupled with the strong supernatural elements it makes for a unique narrative that you won't expect from a game of this kind.

Isao Kronos

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 22, 2017, 01:17:25 pm »
I recently finished Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse and Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies
will hackrom for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #174 on: February 22, 2017, 01:34:25 pm »
Played through Hylics yesterday. That sure was a thing.

wow.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #175 on: February 22, 2017, 04:16:35 pm »
Her Story - it's a short (90-120 minutes) non-game. It's basically a long series of 10-120 second video clips of a woman's police interrogation. By picking up names, places and events from the clips you can search for new clips. Don't think new keywords just pop up in a list though, you have to type in everything freely by hand. So you better have a piece of paper and a pen ready when playing. In that way you just watch more and more clips and figure out the story for yourself. It's an interesting experiment, though I wished the game had *some* more guidance. You'll definitely feel lost at times.

Warhammer 40000: Sanctus Reach - It's a (loose) turn-based adaption of the Wh40k tabletop in which you can play a long campaign as the Space Wolve space marine chapter versus an Ork invasion. The mechanics are good and I see a great base here for more campaigns with other factions. The downside is that the presentation is super dry and sterile and the campaign is padded severely by randomnly generated skirmishes. Took me about 50 hours for the whole game but I felt 30 would have been more than enough. Honestly I think WH40k: Armageddon which was similiar but just took the setting and placed it in the classic Battle Isle gameplay is the better game. But SR is the better base for more stuff to come. Armageddon's mechanics only cover basic combat so factions that rely more on magic, special abilities, teleportation etc couldn't be covered in it. SR can display anything the universe has to offer. Let's see if they'll expand on it or not.

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 20, 2017, 04:18:47 am »
beat Valdis Story: Abyssal City 100% with Wyatt on normal and then on hard. went with an all luck build to boost item drop rates, then respecced to pure str for the hardest bosses. now starting another run with Reina.

it's a solid, hard, action-oriented, quirky metroidvania with good looks and a very nice soundtrack. the fights are challenging, and there's a ton of options for customizing your character, many spells, skills, items and equipment, various tactics and different playstyles to choose from. there's some fine exploring, platforming, and some light puzzles as well. the game is hard even on the lowest difficulty, especially if aiming for a good rank for boss fights, which you should generally always aim for because S-ranking a boss gives a permanent, noticeable boost to the character's stats. but i imagine some hardcore, skilled gamers may intentionally aim for a lower rank to skip the powerups and make the game even harder.

now, the game features some strange design choices, for example it almost looks like you're expected to use cheesy tactics and cheat your way to victory. almost like the game wanted you to break it. know these boss fights where you can stand at a certain spot to avoid all danger and hit or shoot the boss at the same time? it's almost like that all the time here. almost, but not quite. suffice it to say that the first playable character starts with a spell that grants a complete invincibility/invisibility combination, and while it's awkward to use at the start, later on it almost becomes a total game-breaker, and with proper build you can simply run around the whole map without enemies noticing you at all and one-shoting everything in your path. in spite of that, they've somehow managed to maintain a high difficulty level right until the end, and there's still a lot of challenge in this game. there's a plethora of possible styles and builds, but due to certain synergy between specific stats, skills, spells and equipment, some combinations will make the character into a killing machine, but most will result in a character with an inadequate damage output or other deficiencies. the game seems unbalanced this way, but i think i kinda liked this approach because it looks like the point is for the most part in finding the optimal strategy, and its timely, expedient execution. and with proper build and strategy i was going from boss tossing me around the room in a permanent stunlock with me not being able to deal more damage than it regenerated, to winning literally in seconds with the boss unable to even hit me. it was partly by using cheap tricks and cheesy solutions, yes. but i feel you kinda have to in this game, to some extent, as you're actively encouraged to be as fast and deadly as possible. and besides, the enemies are using tactics that are equally cheap as well. so where it matters it basically comes down to efficiency, and the thing is to experiment, observe, analyse and optimise your strategy so you can eliminate the opposition with surgical precision.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 25, 2017, 07:53:41 pm »
Just finished 2 playthroughs of Age of Decadence.  It has its drawbacks, but it's really pretty good overall--the Roman/scifi setting is really well-developed, and the game systems are pretty well balanced to keep you from doing everything in 1-2 go arounds.  Combat is utterly brutal, but manageable when you understand how the game's designed, and the leveling system is pretty good (you get SP to spend on skills rather than levels).

The one drawback of AoD is that since it's designed around the concept of "you shouldn't be able to do everything," it encourages you to play through the game with massive SP pools to allocate to skills as needed for skill checks--especially if your character isn't good at fighting.  This is pretty counter intuitive, and probably frustrates most people who pick up the game (as it did a bit for me on my 1st run).  The game is absurdly easy to beat as a non-combat character too, especially considering you likely won't devote many resources to your combat skills.  I's still a bit satisfying though, as the world-building and plot are generally pretty good.

If you're interested in getting it, it's probably worth the normal Steam price, but...I'd still probably get it on sale.  Like anything else on Steam.

March 28, 2017, 09:41:50 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Finished Punch Club today---not too bad for the most part.  The first 2/3 are relatively enjoyable management material with more exploring/event stuff than I expected.

The last 1/3 (despite dev attempts at fixing) is a pretty grindy mess, even for me.  I was hoping to finish off a few quests I didn't get a chance to finish when things go on autopilot at the 2/3 mark, but those apparently closed off.  The management aspect is not even close to fun, but I finished it because hey, I wanted to see the end.  That was a disappointment too though.

Still, it was on sale for ~$2 this weekend, so I think it was worth it!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:41:50 pm by magictrufflez »

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2017, 06:59:22 pm »
Beat Sonic Adventure: Limited Edition this morning.
I'm not sure how it stacks up to the retail version but some thoughts,
Graphically speaking, I think I like this better than the DX rereleases, characters aren't too shiny and only the human npcs and character facial animations look horribly dated (also no lip sync).
plots are awful and always slightly contradictory to each other, I'd almost swear Eggman had two voice actors sometimes and every route has different lines even in the exact same scenes, voice acting is pretty much universally bad special notes to Knuckles, Tikal, and Big whos VAs were apparently very giftedly bad.
Gameplay wise I enjoyed Sonic and Tails the most, Sonic's spindash is so broken that it turns the game into a weird glitchy skatepark which is good for hours of entertainment, meanwhile Tails has races against Sonic which aren't very hard but are good fun anyway, everyone else has major problems handling doorways, odd edges, slopes, basic movement(I'm looking at you E 102 and Amy >:().
One good thing I can say is that this is one of the best soundtracks the series has ever had, nearly every song is damn good, and Open Your Heart stands on its own as a thing people still listen to, I especially like that one and Mechanical Resonance.

Anyway, might swing for a retail version one of these days and see if I can spot what the differences are.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #179 on: April 02, 2017, 02:59:00 pm »
Took me a while, but I finally beat Resident Evil 7. Why did it take so long? Aside from the fact that I played it together with a buddy and we had a hard time matching time tables for gaming sessions it was mostly fear of getting too stressed out by the VR. As it turned out it was unfounded, I just needed some good solid hours of VR play to get used to it. In my first play sessions I got a headache and a wrong feeling in my stomach (I wouldn't call it sick yet) after only minutes and I had to quit after half an hour, but in my last sessions there were no ill effects at all and I could play as well as if it was non-VR.

Was it worth it? Hell yes. The game itself is really good, a return to the classic formular of the first Resident Evil games with a slow deliberate pace, a large mansion to explore room by room and goofy puzzles (okay, the game was still pretty weak on the puzzles, but they were there). That would have been enough to have a good time, but the VR really pushes the game to the next level. In case you don't follow VR games/news at all, RE7 is really the only existing so far that is a full game that is also VR compatible. And boy does it deliver. Being able to take your head and lean into a doorway before entering a room feels so natural, so immersive, it's like an invisible wall that was between you and the game is being teared down you never knew existed until you experienced it. Exploring a room was never so interesting. You aren't just walking along side the walls once hammering A in order to grab all items, no, you kneel down and you are literally looking below every table, between every two shelves. The jump scares are of course extremely intense in VR too, but they are one and done affairs, the exploration aspect honestly left a much bigger impression on me. There was a later area with lot's of hidden traps and that really profited a lot from it.

VR isn't there yet for mainstream audiences. The resolution is too low, the tech is too expensive and there aren't enough games yet that are worth it (RE7 is really the first one). But having played RE7 this way, I know it'll get there. It won't be a short-lived fad that'll go away before it ever really took hold.

As for RE7: 9/10.