News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Re: Victoly!  (Read 66234 times)

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Victoly!
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2016, 11:10:02 am »
I've beaten the latest Ace Attorney game on the 3DS. It's always hard for me to rank these since I'm playing them only once and the series has been going for many years now so it's been forever since I played the first ones. But except for the 4th case (which was bafflingly obvious filler) I'd say this was one of the best AA games to date.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 15, 2016, 09:00:26 am »
Beat both Princess Remedy games on hard mode, Daniel Remar is such a badass, all of his games take these really simple concepts and old school graphics but they always build them up to complex levels so perfectly.

Anyway advertising here, a lot of his games are free here on his website if you wanna check em out:
http://www.remar.se/daniel/games.php
Princess Remedy in a Heap of Trouble was released recently and is available for cheap on steam
Sleepy's Tune of the week || Bibio - The Milky-Way over Ratlinhope - https://youtu.be/nfwDo5ioKSs

Isao Kronos

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2016, 04:58:31 pm »
I finished Metal Slug XX last night in one sitting, does that count?
will hackrom for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2016, 04:49:06 pm »
Beat War for the Overworld. A modern day clone of Dungeon Keeper. Considering how old that one is I welcomed a remake with open arms. And I enjoyed my time with it. It's been waaay too long since I played the original so I can't say what was different. Probably worth a try wether you played the original way back like I did or if you didn't and you just want to know what it was like without badly aged 90s 3D graphics. The UI is pretty bad, but that's the only major flaw I can think of.

Also I played a campaign of Europa Universalis 4 with the latest DLCs (two or three more than from when I did my last). Though this one technically doesn't deserve to be in the Victoly thread, but we don't have a YOU SUCK thread so... Decided to go after an achievement from the very hard category and ofc I wasn't prepared for it, especially not for a first game with unknown new mechanics. Tried to own all porcellain producing provinces as Saxony. Hint: they are all in east asia. Took me 350 something years to get out of central europe and then it was just too late with the remaining time to have a shot at making it. That Ming was still unified wouldn't have helped either. I'll just break it down to two words: HRE politics :-\
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2016, 10:04:12 pm »
Finally beat Tales of Phantasia today (PS1 version). It's a pretty good game if you can stand unskippable spell animations and a nigh-absent overarching plot in a JRPG. But for real, I really liked it. The game looks and sounds pretty, there's lots of main cast development, and there's lots of side content and hidden bits like that mirror that turns the character portraits into doodles. It's not perfect, but it's got heart, and I can appreciate that.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #145 on: November 02, 2016, 06:17:44 pm »
Which translation did you play and how did you decide between the two (I assume you played in English)?
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 02, 2016, 07:03:41 pm »
The Cless one, mostly thanks to Google. I think I did once play the A0 translation, but never finished it for whatever reason. If you're asking me which one's better, I have no idea.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2016, 08:37:13 am »
I beat Mighty Switch Force, got all stars on every level including the bonus ones too.
At first I wasn't sold on it and it seemed to be a pretty decent if kinda easy platformer,
but once I realized this was supposed to be a time trial the difficulty kicked up a notch and that's where the game started to get good, Getting stars on all levels only unlocks a fanservice Title screen
and merely beating the game unlocks an upgraded gun that can one shot all enemies,
nothing for beating the bonus levels though, an un-armored mode would have been cool to run and in line with the fanservice too.
Sleepy's Tune of the week || Bibio - The Milky-Way over Ratlinhope - https://youtu.be/nfwDo5ioKSs

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2016, 08:35:45 am »
I have beaten [[https://youtu.be/Vj_lVOokdU0 Creepy Castle]] and am waiting for The Final Fist update.

Creepy Castle is a 2D action-adventure game (metroidvania?).
The protagonist, Moth (a moth) have heard that something suspicious is going on at said castle and investigate it.
Pretty soon, he learn that there is a thing called the Heartbreaker.

While you explore the castle, you will face opponent. At first, you will trade blow with them, both you and the opponent taking damage.
But that going for the whole game would be boring so mini games will randomly happens, giving both the risk and the potential of attacking or be attacked without any counter attacks.
For example, one of the mini-game is a quick draw where you must push the button as soon as the signal is given.
While the battle system did eventually get tiring in the late game, there is some creativity that was put in there that goes further than just easier or harder, slower on faster.
It especially show on the Pursuit mini-game which requires you to get stars without being hit by the enemies.
Some versions have enemies hidden as harmless objects and you must account for that. Some versions don't have a maze to trap you.

The visual is, from what I have heard, inspired by the Spectrum ZX graphics. 2D sprites with limited color palettes but the game make good use of them.
The in-battle and cutscene graphics have good more-detailed sprites.
I know not everyone like old school looks but I like it. :)

The music is good. There is a surprising amount of variety including rock, elevator music and Beethoven. :P

The story is good. After the original scenario, more scenario opens up, allowing you to see what happens overall.
Even the "free modes" where you play as characters you unlocked have things to shows.
Most of the story is told through text. I hope you don't mind reading. XD
The writing is good though. I hope you have a dictionnary nearby. :P
Several of the scenarios ending are great. Scenario 2B (Lost) is awesome and perhaps the stuff of legend.
It in any case didn't go in the way I expected.
I mean, despite the cutesy, some of the themes touched in the game are
Spoiler:
wether it worth even trying in a world that apparently can't be improved or saved? Is the joys you find in life worth all the suffering you go through?

The game isn't particularly hard but because enemies and items don't respawn, you must explore properly and make the most of your ressources without wasting.
Exploring is the main challenge of the game but some of the game scenario give you switch puzzles
The Dark Souls Depths scenario deserve a mention as, since there is no items, save points heal you but respawn enemies.
You must thus find a way to find stuff or make permanent changes in the game and return to a save point (not always the one you came from) alive.

Anyway, I am happy I got this game. It's not the greatest game of all time but it's a good game that deserves more recognition than it currently have.
Now, if The Final Fist update could come out, the last scenario ended on a cliffhanger! XD

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 17, 2016, 08:08:19 pm »
finished Life is Strange a while back, and I have to say that it's games like this one that still give me hope for the gaming industry. it's like a true shining, magical jewel among this all-encompassing ocean of mediocrity, this obnoxious flood of time wasters, one-trick ponies, retro-nostalgia antics... and shooters, can't forget shooters.

anyway, Life is Strange is a great mature-themed interactive story/movie. very engrossing, multi-faceted and very emotional. I say mature-themed but no pron lol, just serious issues being dealt with. great art style, obvious attention to detail, great story, plot direction, writing, great voice cast and no cutting corners – simply all the best there is.
also, without spoling, the game plays its main trope in a very classy, classical yet modern way. just how it's supposed to be. also really liked how the photography theme was played, makes the game real artsy, but in a natural way, not force-fed as is common with many titles aspiring to be 'art in gaming' and shit. this game is a true work of art and it doesn't scream at you "I am Art! Prithee deem me as such, I implore thee!". I really liked how thinking about and looking for an interesting shot often yielded one, and while I'm no photographer, the way you play one here kinda made me feel like one. so considering a change of career now. (but managed to overlook that said photographer is female, so not gonna undertake sex-change anytime soon fortunately lol.) also, the later chapters really messed with my head, and I really appreciate it when games successfully manage to pull this trick, because after decades of gaming I'm obviously seldom surprised, to say the least.
so kudos to DONTNOD for making this, France was always a strong-ish, rather interesting contender in the gaming market, but here's where the frog-eaters really gave it their best. really looking forward for the next season.

of course, there are a few shortcomings that are now obvious when looking at things in retrospect (the game drags on a bit here and there, some characters are a bit bland or one-dimensional), but these are minor things that didn't matter during the actual gameplay, and do not change my judgment in the slightest.
my time played on steam shows 26 hours, but I really like to take my time and smell the roses, so you should probably expect a bit less. but this is a game that should be savoured, and where it's the journey that's important, and not the destination. still, I've managed to miss several shots, but will probably leave it for a replay maybe a few years in the future, so I can forget some stuff and can be surprised again, if only by fond rememberance.
so, if you haven't had a chance to see this one yet, give yourself a favour and go play the first episode, it's free. and the whole season is often discounted on steam, should you like what you see but fall a few bucks short.

keep tissues handy, or your fave hankie, 'cos you're probably gonna cry, sooner or later, as the game gives many opportunities for that. seriously, there's a Life is Strange 'Did you cry?' discussion on steam (not linking because heavy spoilers) with hundreds of people in various stages of clinical depression and in need of emotional support after playing this... I'm toughened and sufficiently desensitized with age and experience, but still bitter tears swelled in my eyes during some crucial moments (swallowed tho). still, such blissful emotions... made me feel alive for a change. ;>
gems like that come out once in a decade maybe.

Isao Kronos

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2016, 10:50:03 pm »
Finished Pokemon Moon this morning, Note that I didn't pirate it lol, it was only around 20 hours for me.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #151 on: November 20, 2016, 01:48:37 pm »
Finished SRWOG: The Moon Dwellers. Took me quite a while since I could only do 3-4 missions a weekend but it was well worth it. The English is of course completely broken and was pretty surely the very first draft of someone with English as a second or third language and zero editing but it was enough to play it and understand what's going on. If it's this or no SRWs in English at all I'll take it. Very much looking forward to SRWV now, even though I know almost none of the featured series. Maybe I'll try to watch one or two before release next year to get in the mood.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 20, 2016, 02:10:46 pm »
Just finished Beyond Good and Evil. Definitely one of the more mind-blowing Gamecube/Ps2 games I've played in quite some time. A little shorter than I was expecting, but there's still plenty of side areas to explore. Some damn fine voice acting as well, and plenty of it to boot (a good chunk of which occurs while running around with your partners rather than solely in cinemas).

For those who haven't played it, I can't recommend this one enough.  :beer:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2016, 01:29:32 pm »
A while ago, I finished The Final Fist in Creepy Castle and it was a great to the game (to season 1 of the game?).
You have to beat a few hard boss at first to get to the final battle but once you're there,
that's a super cool battle followed by a nice ending. ^-^

I also finished Shantae Half Genie Hero, the main mode anyway and it's good although I wished it was longer.
It took something like 9-10 hours to clear the game according to my save file, maybe a bit more?

Anyway, the game is fun although a bit on the easy side due to all the stuff made available to you to make your life easier.
If you think you're tough, skip it.  ;)
Anyway, the music is good, the game looks good and there is a high level of detail in the graphics.
Lot of transformation dances.
The story is basically "Shantae: the TV show". :P
Anyway, I recommend it. ^^

Also, for some reason, Giga Mermaid seems to be popular?

Isao Kronos

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 07, 2016, 07:35:27 pm »
Finished Yakuza 5 today.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #155 on: December 24, 2016, 05:33:56 pm »
I beat Shadow Tactics today.

Remember Commandos? That insanely hard but satisfying WW2 real-time tactics game from almost 20 years ago? The devs of Shadow Tactics remembered it and wanted to bring it back. And what a great thing that they did, Commandos was a real classic, and aside from a western themed version in Desperados also from back then there weren't any games like it since. (I read there was also a Robin Hood game actually, but I never played it or heard anyone talk about it).

If you never played Commandos (filthy console peasants :P), you control a small unit of 2-5 different characters with a special set of abilities each. For example there is the Commando who can slit people's throats, a Sniper who can take out anyone from long distances but who has extremely limited ammo or a Spy who can move among certain enemies and distract them. Using the special abilities of everyone to the fullest you have to infiltrate far beyond enemy lines and fulfill objectives like taking out a high ranking officer or getting documents from a safe. Meanwhile the huge sprawling levels are filled with patrolling enemies and the meat of the game is finding holes in the enemy's observation net in order to find opportunities to take out guards without alerting the enemies of your presence. It's like a large real-time puzzle with a lot of freedom on how to solve it.

Shadow Tactics takes the formular and transfers it to medieval Japan. This time you control a Samurai, a Shinobi, a Thief, a Sniper and a Geisha, but it's the same thing really. They really went all out on the level design though with (absolutely beautiful) large levels that allow a lot of different approaches and invite creativity and replayability. They also added an easy to use and super important planning feature with which you can trigger multiple character's actions at once. The game is hard, but I don't think it's as hard as the original (in Commandos 2, I don't think the majority of the players got past level 2 or 3 back then...). There were some spots where I yelled at my screen, but eventually I always figured out a way. I can only say good things about the game, go get it you like stealth games at all.

Oh and this time there is also a console version and I heard the controller controls are even decent. :thumbsup:

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #156 on: January 07, 2017, 07:30:13 am »
Beaten over the holidays:

- Mordheim (2nd playthrough): Last time I moved away from the game rather frustratedly. During the Christmas sale on Steam I noticed there was DLC with new factions to play and I couldn't help myself and got it and gave it another playthrough. This time I also read some guides and adjusted my tactics and had a much much better time for it. The game is still repetetive and quite the grind, but the basic gameplay is fun enough that it feels like a good time to play and not like a treadmill.

- Final Fantasy XV: Wreck meet Train. I haven't encountered a game that was this unfinished and full of obvious gaps where they ran out of time to flesh things out since Xenogears. And quite frankly, Xenogears wasn't even nearly as bad. At least the missing stuff there was bridged over with summaries. In XV things are just missing. I'd say the story was perhaps 30% finished compared to what we'd usually get in a FF game. This is a personal misgiving of mine, but I also don't like that all of the interesting content is post-game. Considering my backlog (see the other thread :'() I rather move on to other games after the credits roll, which means I'll miss half of the game.

- Tyranny: Decent Baldur's Gate styled RPG. The ending sucks ass and I'm not happy with the options you have in the game. You basically have no choice but to be Stalin reincarnate and murder everyone who doesn't roll over and kiss your feet when you appear. Otherwise it was good.

Currently playing: Uncharted 2. I don't think I'll warm up to this series :-\

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 07, 2017, 09:40:12 am »
Final Fantasy XV: Wreck meet Train.

I'm sorry you had to play through the whole thing, but I'm glad my first impressions were about right and I saved myself some money.  I've just gotten such a bad feeling from basically every FF after X that I wasn't going to give it the benefit of the doubt, but I was at least going to keep a bit of an open mind.

When you say "interesting content" though, is that writing/plot content or gameplay content?  In the post-game?

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #158 on: January 07, 2017, 09:49:21 am »
It's purely gameplay stuff, the story stuff isn't salvaged postgame either. What I mean with interesting content is extra dungeons, hard hunts and access to the best equipment.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Re: Victoly!
« Reply #159 on: January 07, 2017, 01:25:47 pm »
Isn't XV set to have one of those season pass deals, where a lot of the story isn't even out yet?

That would explain why so much is missing (and of course considering it's relation in world with XIII and Type-0, we'll see at least two sequels).