News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Re: Victoly!  (Read 46945 times)

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Victoly!
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2016, 08:16:23 am »
Won the long campaign in Total War: Warhammer with the Vampire Courts faction.

I wasn't too fond of the TW series in the past but I like the Warhammer universe so I decided to give this a go. And I gotta say, the fantasy setting really breathed new life into the stale TW formular. Hero units, RPG elements, magic spells, unique and very varried unit types that really break out of the old "infantry, bowmen, pikemen, cavalry" pattern of the historical games. And the factions behave very differently on the global scale too. Fighting against other Undead and humans is like traditional warfare while orks and chaos forces come at you in raids and may lead to untypical, temporary alliances to stem the tides.

I'll definitely play the game again some time with another faction (Gimme Seraphon DLC plox. I need my warlords to ride onto the battlefield on tyrannosaurues).
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2016, 03:23:27 pm »
Beat The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PSVita).

Overall pretty disappointing. I'd rate it a 6/10 maybe 6.5/10. It was decent for a handheld game, but I'd felt really let down if I played the console version. The budget is just too low and content-wise it suffered from extreme linearity, bad balance and terrible pacing. It is basically a 50 hour prologue by the way, since the actual story barely starts when the game ends. I might still get the sequel in the hopes that the story picks off right away this time with the drawn-out setup phase out of the way. I think my expectations were just too high since some people praised it as one of the best JRPGs of this generation. And it probably is. But not because it's that good but because the genre overall has really went to shit. So a solid game suddenly shines like a diamond.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2016, 11:01:48 pm »
Beat The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PSVita).

Overall pretty disappointing. I'd rate it a 6/10 maybe 6.5/10. It was decent for a handheld game, but I'd felt really let down if I played the console version. The budget is just too low and content-wise it suffered from extreme linearity, bad balance and terrible pacing. It is basically a 50 hour prologue by the way, since the actual story barely starts when the game ends. I might still get the sequel in the hopes that the story picks off right away this time with the drawn-out setup phase out of the way. I think my expectations were just too high since some people praised it as one of the best JRPGs of this generation. And it probably is. But not because it's that good but because the genre overall has really went to shit. So a solid game suddenly shines like a diamond.

Is this the sequel to "Trails in the Sky"?  Because I had that one in my backlog for awhile (It was recommended as a pretty great game), but this sounds a little disappointing...

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2016, 03:50:42 am »
Trails in the Sky is it's own series but both take place in the same universe and story-wise right after another so it's kind of a sequel, though it focuses on a different part of the world.

I haven't played TitS (best shorthand ever) but I hear it has much of the same problems. Many many hours of boring prologue before interesting stuff happens.

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2016, 10:44:23 am »
I have finished Salt and Sanctuary.

Some people say it's a Dark Soul ripoff. They're wrong. It's THE Dark Soul ripoff;D

More seriously, the game is what would happen if Dark Soul and a Metroidvania had a child.
It's pretty good. It's the type of game where if you mess up and get hit, you can take a ton of damage
which mean you must have a good defensive game. You must be able to at least either dodge or block attack but ideallly both.
You gain soul salt by defeating enemies which is then used at bonfires santuaries to either level up or upgrade your equipment.
Unlike Dark Soul, you also have gold which can be used in shops.
While some people mentionned that you get too much money in the game,
the flipside is that you don't have any excuse to not stock up on stuff and experiment with items
and don't have any excuse if you died not being able to come back to a sanctuary because you didn't teleported. ;)

The game is light on music and at many time it's, well, greyish but it works really well in the setting.
The world of Salt and Sanctuary is messed up and not an happy place.
It like if you went to every place in the world that went wrong. XD

Anyway, I have trouble doing this game justice, consider trying it.

It was apparently made by two people, a couple actually.
I am impressed that only two person were able to come up with this game. ^-^

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2016, 02:35:51 pm »
I have finished Salt and Sanctuary.
nice catch dood. looks like it supports split screen co-op and vs modes as well.
I haven't played TitS (best shorthand ever) but I hear it has much of the same problems. Many many hours of boring prologue before interesting stuff happens.
guess that depends on what you consider boring. it's true that it's very dialogue-heavy and rather unengaging on the action side of things, but this is the kind of game that you play for the plot and for character interactions. like an rpg visual novel, kinda. that's what I expected, and wasn't really disappointed. though I still have to finish the first game, I think it's pretty solid for what it does.

anyway, just finished Gundemonium Recollection on UNLIMITED, and man, Elixirel is such a bitch. my game timer on steam shows 23 hours played (but I sometimes go to sleep without quiting games, take naps etc. so it probably wasn't that much really). aand I had to use NUMEROUS continues. but I suck at shooters lol. still, I couldn't even pass the easiest difficulty level when I played the original way, way back, so at least I'm getting better at it.
man, I want more Platine Dispositif games released in the west. I really want Engage to Jabberwock EE.  :'(
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 03:40:27 pm by thr »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 02, 2016, 06:56:27 pm »
Finished SaGa Frontier 2 today in probably the most satisfying way possible:  My prep for the final home stretch was good, but I totally screwed up taking out Edelritters in the final dungeon.  I ended up just giving the final boss a shot with a pretty sub-par party (I actually had old man Wil with me, and realized once the battle started that only 2 of my 4 characters had the full skill setup I intended), and surprisingly smoked the daylights out of him with combos.

Still...the good things that game does are pretty good, but the bad things about that game are godawful.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #127 on: July 09, 2016, 01:36:28 pm »
Cleared Zero Time Dilemma. Conclusion to the trilogy that started with 999 and Virtue's Last Reward (I don't think the naming scheme helped sales).
Not sure much needs to be said about this. If you haven't played 999 and VLR, go play them right now. If you have, you'll play ZTD anyway. It fulfills the expectations.

Beware though, the 3DS version is supposedly pretty bad. I played it on Vita which was great. This time there is also a PC version apparently (and 999 will get one soon, so don't panic if you already threw away your DS!).

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 09, 2016, 02:11:26 pm »
Just got the Giant Baby ending in Drakengard.  It was a hilarious and I hope there a few more endings as entertaining as this one.  :)
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2016, 08:59:57 pm »
Legend of Mana, with all the quests done in 1 run, and with the difficulty hack from this site (not the damage-increasing one, but the one that just removes enemy hitstun and slows player speed).  Kind of an anti-climactic final boss, but there were really good stories in throughout, and I think enjoyed more of the jokes than I remember.

Still, Secret of Mana is probably still my favorite Mana game overall--I think I crave just a little more structure in my RPG's than LoM had...

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #130 on: July 15, 2016, 04:31:41 pm »
Beat Banner Saga 2. The ending was very bafflingly rushed, but everything else about the game is pitch perfect.

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 15, 2016, 04:38:10 pm »
What did I beat recently?

I got the best ending in Kid Icarus after finally learning what the gameplay mechanics that determine the ending you get are like.

Then I beat Donkey Kong Country. That game isn't as difficult as all that, because the play control is superb, it's just that it's so insanely fast compared to Mario...it even borders on Sonic The Hedgehog levels of speed at times, like say, using Diddy's flip attack to barrel (no pun intended) through a few snakes in a row...you end up going uncontrollably fast by that time. Also there's lots of times when you're being blasted out of barrel cannons or riding mine carts or going fast in some other way...

Maybe the devs were thinking "Take that Sega," I dunno. But it sure seems that way.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2016, 10:35:02 pm »
Finished KOTOR 2 again, with achievements this time and the droid planet addition.  Also converted all possible team members to Jedi for the first time, and kept the game on difficult mode 99% of the game (only time I turned it off was for the more ridiculous skill checks).  I also think I succeeded in legitimately breaking most of the game systems--I turned 2 of my jedi who were originally ranged fighters into lightsaber-wielding monsters, and had zero problems with the endgame duels.  Only 2 things I missed out on were fully upgrading T3 (because I was playing a wizard and didn't get lucky with the skill boost equipment drops), and getting HK-47 to expound on love.

Still one of the all-round best games out there, even with some of the flaws from being unfinished.

Isao Kronos

• Dogman
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2016, 05:26:35 pm »
Finished Bravely Second this last weekend, whee

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2016, 10:48:28 am »
I just finished SanctuaryRPG, and...it was honestly not particularly great.

I'm not sure how the mechanics were INTENDED to work, but it is honestly the grindiest game I have ever played, and in a terrible way.  I knew up front I was going to need to power up my character with the loop activities in town before I really started, but I had no clue how mandatory that actually was until I started progressing the plot.  The first battle out of grinding equips and levels was relatively straightforward, but the 2nd battle out the gate was a 200K HP mecha dragon that even my grinded character had a tough time with.  Out of the slightly less than 20 hours I devoted to this game, probably 75% was grinding materials and forging in town in order to survive some of the more ridiculous fights.

Add in that the "dungeons" were just a series of fights and nothing more, and I was even a bit disappointed I bought this on sale last year for ~$2.  Even for an old-school gamer like me, this was WAY too much.

On the bright side, I saw someone playing Arc Rise Phantasia the other day and it reminded me what interesting game design looked like.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2016, 12:32:49 pm »
Finished Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Xenoblade Chronicles was the best JRPG I had played in many years and restored my faith that the genre can still produce amazing games instead of just going through the motions like seemingly any other JRPG these days. Needless to say, I had high hopes for the sequel. Unfortunately, I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed.

The first game combined classic JRPG storytelling and character building mechanics with completely free exploration of a huge world that puts something like Oblivion to shame. They also added many MMO elements like real time battles with auto attacks and a bar of active abiliies with cooldowns and a shit-ton of MMO style sidequests (Farm X Materials, Kill Y Monsters, Look for hidden object in rough location Z). It was very possible though to just ignore them and enjoy the (great) main story and the fantastic exploration aspects of it.

In XCX... unfortunately they extended the MMO elements a ton. And the result is more boring filler shit, more grind and less main story. You pretty much have to dig for the main story in between all the filler shit this time and not the other way around. The main story is still good and the cast of support characters is amazing, but there is only 12 missions of it. And half of that is more or less tutorial material. There are side missions with cutscenes and some meat to them that flesh out the characters, but again, you have to dig for them. The bulk of the game that you get to see is "Go out and farm for materials or quest items". Which is a terrible shame because the world is even more amazing. It's the only open world design I know where the game actually makes use of the Z axis. The world is truly amazingly designed. Unfortunately most of the interesting stuff you find is post game difficulty. And I had quite enough after beating the main story. After 60-70 hours that is. With only 12 main missions that each take half an hour you can extrapolate how much of those 70 hours was at least filler-like content...

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2016, 03:52:21 pm »
Finished Super Panda Adventures, which was totally worth the sale price I bought it for on Steam.

Boss fights are a bit ridiculous, but the rest of the game is pretty pleasant to play on any difficulty, and the Metoidvania feel is one of the better done ones IMO.  If you like ARPG's and are OK with relatively simple leveling mechanics and maybe slightly cutesy graphics, it's definitely worth a purchase.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #137 on: September 23, 2016, 03:27:02 pm »
Two more games beaten recently.

Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest
Mechanics-wise probably the best FE yet. The series is much better in general since perma-death can be turned off. Optional higher difficulties are really demanding too. The big downside here is the ridiculous DLC. Not only is it balance distorting (there is DLC openly advertised as allowing you to grind unlimited XP and money) but the true story ending is also locked behind DLC. And that is after the game was split into two paths, Pokemon style (though one by itself is as lengthy as a full game). Not that you need to give a shit about the story because this is Fire Emblem. "Chosen one has to gather chosen weapon, really bad demon something thing... blablabla".  ::) Hence why I won't waste any time on that DLC campaign.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided.
Great game. I managed a pacifist playthrough without killing anyone. The only negative I could say is a technical one, the loading time when switching between major areas is very annoyingly wrong. At least it doesn't happen every few minutes, it's relatively rare. Anything else about the game is very good. Like the last game but a little bit more refined. And no externally developed fail boss battles this time.

Isao Kronos

• Dogman
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2016, 08:38:08 pm »
Finished DQVII 3ds (9/10) and Super Robot Wars Z3-1 (8/10)

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 01, 2016, 04:09:17 pm »
KOTOR 1---and I disliked it only slightly less than I remember.  I'm not normally one to complain about a lack of originality, but I had forgotten how similar the game was to the original trilogy.  The writing isn't godawful, but there were some especially weak points in the game that seemed more like "well, I guess we HAVE to do something with the plot here" rather than something that was well planned.

I might just be bitter because I find KOTOR 2 vastly superior in most every way, but I just can't understand how anybody finds #1 better than #2, especially with all the bugfixes available now.