News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Re: Victoly!  (Read 24992 times)

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: Victoly!
« on: February 11, 2014, 01:47:27 pm »
I got 100% in LEGO Marvel the other night. It was fun, and funny, and charming, but the open-world stuff got old and by the end I didn't really feel like running the stages again in freeplay for the last collectibles. In other words, it's a LEGO game. Solid though.

Although I have to admit that while the character flourishes in combat were neat to watch (like Spiderman wrapping up a foe in webs, or Wolverine doing flips) it slowed things down quite a bit. This wasn't a good thing.

Edit: Beat Ballpoint Universe last night. Tip for anyone playing with a gamepad: find the sensitivity slider in the pause menu and turn it all the way down! Game's much more playable with it like that. The shmup stages were generally fun and the enemy designs interesting, though towards the end there were a few too many enemies that just tried to ram the player. Upgrades also cost way too much; I'd unlocked maybe a quarter of them (and mostly the cheaper ones) by the time I'd finished, and feel no desire to go back and collect more. And good lord but the platforming is awful.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 05:22:45 pm by Gideon Zhi »

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Re: Victoly!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 05:02:51 am »
1) Endless Space - Cool 4X game - basically Civilization in Space. Very nice design and easy to understand, though that might also be what keeps it from being long-term interesting. So far I did 3 campaigns and easily won each and spent 16 hours on it in total. For the genre that's not too much I guess, but on the other hand it invites a quick round now and then. With larger games (say Europa Universalis) it can be too daunting to do that since every campaign can take 20 hours. One of the special features of Endless Space by the way is that you can design your own ships and that part is definitely very fun. If I play another campaign it'll be several levels difficulty higher, on normal it's way way way too easy.

2) Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies (3DS), finally a new PW game, and it's pure PW from start to finish. So more of the same really, if you weren't already a fan this won't convert you. And I feel it's best for long-time fans anyway, since it has a ton of fan-service with revisiting characters that would be wasted on newcomers. They also did a really good job converting all characters to polygon models and building the backgrounds with great 3D depth.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Isao Kronos

• Kiss From A Rose
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 01:00:47 am »
Finished Ys 2 tonight, now I guess I'll start Origin soon.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 03:35:49 pm »
1) Dust - An Elysian Tale

Good if rather easy game. Pretty insane if you consider it was made by one guy. The character designs are pretty ugh, but the gameplay is spot on.

2) Pokemon Y

Very good Pokemon game. Lot's of cool stuff (exp share ftw), great transition to full 3D. You could't ask for more really.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 05:51:08 pm »

Finished Vanquish. The controls were a bit confusing for me at the beginning, but once I mastered the manual AR triggering, it became glorious. The fact that cover is just an option and not the main focus of the actual game, due to the high mobility of both you and the enemies. Its fun fighting an Argus tanks and the Unknown guys by speeding through the whole arena. Highly recommended as a non conventional cover shooter. Makes me thing if the Mass Effect 3 team drew inspiration from it for the multiplayer.
_-|-_

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 07:51:25 am »
I have gotten the Platinum Trophy for Final Fantasy XIII. ^^
It took some time but wasn't as long as I feared.
That being said, I feel like some of the trophies are getting in the way of the post game or something?
How can I put this?

Normally, without trophies, the post game would be defeating all of the marks and some of the extra hard turtles that drop items used to make money and upgrade weapons.
The idea would be to level up your characters and weapons as much as possible to crush anything that would dare to stand in your way.

However, two trophies are :
1 : to get 1 of every equipment in the game once at some time
2 : 5 star every mark which is like getting a S rank.

1 : to get this trophy, you have to get every weapon and level them up to their second rank and 6 of them to the third rank.
Normally you would upgrade the weapon you would use as much as you can
but due the the money and ressource needed you'll instead focus in getting most weapons at their second unupgraded ranks and leave it at that.
A decent amount of money also have to be used in upgrading stuff you might never use at all.
It's not so bad since you can sell stuff to get the money needed to get the items you don't have yet
but if you want the trophy and don't spend too much time it limit a bit your freedom to spend money.

2 : getting a 5 stars mean beating a battle ASAP. The cacth? the higher your attack and ATB is, the less time you have.
Oh, you just got your rank 3 ultimate sword of doom? Hopefully the stat boost will make up for the time the game is penalizing you.

Of course, you could always argue that trophies are optional and that I don't have to bother with this stuff or that it's supposed to be a chaallenge but...
I don't know. What I know is that if I replay the game, I won't bother again with those two trophies. Once is enough.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 09:48:03 am »
Getting 5 stares on the marks is what the game is all about once you get to that section. devising strategies to beat enemies efficiently is all that there is left to do, as there are only a handful of enemies that could reasonably defeat you, and even less if you're playing well.

Now granted, if you go back and do them with good equipment, you're going to have to use some tricks, or lower your stats, but if you take the marks on as they open up, you'll be granted useful rewards, and there will be a lot of challenge.

Upgrading all the equipment is the one thing I've never done, and I have very little interest in going back just for that. There's only a handful of ways to make money in the game, and none of them are fast enough, interesting enough, or consistent enough for me to bother.

I can farm tortoises, which is just hours of the same battle over and over, hoping for drops. Or I can run around on a chocobo hoping that I dig up dolls to sell.

Let me just say that, if you play through again. Try to take the marks on early, if you do so you're almost guaranteed a 5 star rating if you use any form of offense against them. Outside of those first couple which you may be too overpowered for, even right at the start. You can come back for the real big challenges after, and most of those are easy 5 Stars anyway. The final mark, even with close to max stats, gives you over 20 minutes without dropping you to a 4 star rating.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Mew seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 03:50:15 pm »
Getting 5 stares on the marks is what the game is all about once you get to that section. devising strategies to beat enemies efficiently is all that there is left to do, as there are only a handful of enemies that could reasonably defeat you, and even less if you're playing well.

Now granted, if you go back and do them with good equipment, you're going to have to use some tricks, or lower your stats, but if you take the marks on as they open up, you'll be granted useful rewards, and there will be a lot of challenge.

Upgrading all the equipment is the one thing I've never done, and I have very little interest in going back just for that. There's only a handful of ways to make money in the game, and none of them are fast enough, interesting enough, or consistent enough for me to bother.

I can farm tortoises, which is just hours of the same battle over and over, hoping for drops. Or I can run around on a chocobo hoping that I dig up dolls to sell.

Let me just say that, if you play through again. Try to take the marks on early, if you do so you're almost guaranteed a 5 star rating if you use any form of offense against them. Outside of those first couple which you may be too overpowered for, even right at the start. You can come back for the real big challenges after, and most of those are easy 5 Stars anyway. The final mark, even with close to max stats, gives you over 20 minutes without dropping you to a 4 star rating.

While farming  tortoises take a while, it's also a nice way to level up so it's not too bad here.
Also, stuff like Deceptisol also help you a lot in getting those 5 stars for a lot of marks.
Also, not getting 5 stars again on purpose. I will instead obliterate all who dare stand in my way withouth any mercy!  >:D

**********UPDATE!**********

I finally managed to clear Catherine on normal and without using a guide! Not too shabby. ^^
Also, is it just me or the game ending just doesn't end? X D
I mean, eventually Katherine comes to visit you but then that other person comes so it looks like there'll be some sparks and... Um what? What?! WHAAAATTTT?!! X D
What followed just after that was cool though. : )
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:23:37 pm by Mew seeker »

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 05:27:16 pm »
Beaten Sleeping Dogs. It's one of the better GTA clones I'd say. Very serious though, unlike GTA or Saints Row. It's the unofficial True Crime 3 basically, so GTA set in Hong Kong with a focus on martial arts battles instead of shooting (though there is shooting too and in true HK movie fashion it involves lot's of slowmo and it feels pretty damn good). They caputed HK very very nicely, driving around the neon madness of the city in the night while it's raining is quite a feast for the eyes. And the soundtrack is also very cool, focusing on HK artists to give it a proper feel of authenticity. There are some technical issues that take away frmo the game, I had trouble getting the game to start at first and later there were still occasional crashes and physics oddities. Once I was just walking along the pavewalk and suddenly got catapulted 5 meters into the air for no reason...
But if you enjoy Hong Kong cinema and/or GTA, get the game. It's often on sale for very cheap these days (on PC).

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 03:15:03 am »
Just beat System Shock 2 for the first time. It's a really great game! Good writing, nice world building and atmosphere, lots of cool UI interaction, etc. -- just really solid in most places. I'd say the only weak spot in this game are the Psi powers. The way they're laid out and the things they do make them either highly situation or downright useless at times. Thus, I mostly spent the cyber modules on stats and weapon upgrades. But aside from that minor flaw, I really enjoyed the hell out of SS2. I definitely recommend it to anyone who likes classic FPS's and doesn't mind a challenge.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 06:23:59 am »
SS2 rocks, it really does. Up there with Deus Ex, and depending on if you count Human Revolution, that, as my all time favorite games with FPS elements.

MisterJones, have you played Binary Domain? It along with Vanquish, and ME3, are probably what I consider the best 3rd-Person Shooters, in terms of mechanics, ever. The story is full-on tribute to cyberpunk, mixed with military Terminator-esq action movies. It's a lot like if Snatcher and Terminator had a kid, and that kid's uncle was the team that made the Yakuza series (because that's what it is). 
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 09:06:41 pm »
MisterJones, have you played Binary Domain? It along with Vanquish, and ME3, are probably what I consider the best 3rd-Person Shooters, in terms of mechanics, ever. The story is full-on tribute to cyberpunk, mixed with military Terminator-esq action movies. It's a lot like if Snatcher and Terminator had a kid, and that kid's uncle was the team that made the Yakuza series (because that's what it is). 

Not yet, but I got it on the sega bundle and probably have it on my ps3. Much like you, both ME3 and Vanquish are my favorite 3rd person shooters, so that gives me a good first impression on the game. Havent played any of the Yakuza games, so I cant comment on that. Thanks for the tip!
_-|-_

MegaManJuno

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 10:32:39 pm »
Been a while since I posted an update here. Since my last post, I've finished:

Mega Man X Collection: Mega Man X5 [PS2]
Mega Man X Collection: Mega Man X6 [PS2]
Mega Man X7 [PS2]
Mega Man X8 [PS2]
Mega Man Xtreme [GBC]
Mega Man Xtreme 2 [GBC]
The Magic of Scheherazade [NES]
Super Mario 3D World [WiiU]
Dragon's Crown [PS3]
Soul of Darkness [DSiW]

Mew seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 12:17:50 pm »
Lately I have cleared the endings of the flash game Idle God 3.
Pro tips : don't buy an organization members unless you also has the ressource to immortalize it right away.
By extension, buy 1 at a time and then immortalize it before buying more.
Also, if you want to clear the story mode in a relatively short amount of time, abuse the market.
Anyway, the story was nice and the ending unexpected.
That being said, perhaps you might want to start with Idle God 1 and 2 first to experiment the story.

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 08:52:27 am »
just beat La-Mulana. with Hell Temple, yea. sure took a while. the ingame timer shows ca. 15 hours, but in truth it took me much, much longer. mainly because I kept restarting a lot, because I kept forgetting what to do after extended breaks from the game. now I finally had time to sit through all of it over a few evenings, and man it was fun.

I used La-Mulana Remake wiki to give me the edge and to help me with some arbitrary, abstract or otherwise unfair obstacles, but I really don't feel guilty of cheating, it was hard enough even with such help. and I really don't think you should be attempting to beat this one completely on your own, unless you have lots of free time and truly inhuman patience, because the game is designed in such a way as to confuse, dishearten and annoy the player. I really appreciate the high difficulty level and don't mind even the most unfair puzzles and traps, but with the game so hard, demanding and intentionally unfair, it's only natural to want to give yourself as much edge as possible.

i'm now attempting the game again, only in hard mode this time. still missing a few chievos after my playthrough, e.g. almost managed to get the one for killing all the bosses without subweapons, but screwed up on Bahamut, because I had an attack fairy, and forgot that her attacks count against the achievement as well. otherwise, it's perfectly doable, even in hard mode, as there are many opportunities to sequence break and get strong pretty fast (already got the axe+randc+mekuri), so I've already managed to beat Amphisbaena and Sakkit, and so far the hard mode doesn't seem so hard really, in comparison with what one has to go through to beat Hell Temple.

hope they don't screw up with La-Mulana 2.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 01:28:34 pm »
I've beaten The Last of Us on PS3. It's considered THE flagship title of the system, isn't it?

I'll certainly say that the environments and the presentation alone make this a must-play for PS3 owners. Though I personally wouldn't buy a new PS3 for the game. The gameplay is ok. Console standard cover shooting with sneaking and artificially bad shooting controls. Also the sneaking just isn't deterministic enough for my taste in the passages with a bunch of zombies. Sometimes it works beautifully and other times they seem to be psychic and sniff me out no matter what. Still, it works good enough, sometimes the sneaking is even excellent, when it's against human opponents in the dark.

But the environments, geez they've really outdone themselves. There are views, images and scenes that are just mesmerizing. This is one of the closest a game has come to giving you the illusion that every wall is hand-placed and no part of the game world was recycled from somewhere else. So even if the gameplay is only good business as usual, the environments are worth it IMO. The story goes through all the common zombie survival clichees, depending on how much they are into that genre it might still feel pretty fresh to many, at least in video games the only other comparable game is Telltale's Walking Dead. TLoU is definitely better than that though. Also big props for the ambiguous ending that stays deep in the moral grey area and doesn't go for cheap cringeworthy tear jerking.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 01:38:09 pm »
We had a thread when the game came out. BRPXQZME I believe, posted some artwork, it was of the barn in the opening section (one you drive by). The amount of detail that went into a piece of scenery that you see for a total of 5 seconds, and can miss entirely, was absolutely staggering.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 01:50:07 pm »
After 280 hours played, I'm finally done with Marvel Puzzle Quest. But at the very least I should be able to give people a very thorough review of the game.

At 280 hours played, the game can't be that bad, right? So why stop now?

The core of the game is still really cool. You build up a roster of Marvel heroes and villians and level them up to build a stronger and stronger team. And the devs support the game relatively well with new events and new heroes so there is always something to do.

Still, they just pushed it too far. This game isn't really a game, it's a second job. I see no way to play this game casually, either you are all in or you are out. Every two weeks there is a new hero, accompanied by a 10 day long PvE event that's a pure battle of attrition to defend a placement in the leaderboards high enough to get the new hero. If you don't? Without the new hero you'll have already lost in the next tournament. The new always gives a insurmountable advantage for the next. There is no way to escape this sweatshop.

And the PvE events are less fun with each iteration. Retarded rubber banding and level scaling makes PvE tournaments an exercise in frustration and disappointment. Have a maxed out Lv141 roster? Enjoy being beaten in placement by Level 50 teams, because their enemies get scaled to level 20 and take 1 minute each while you slog it out against Lv300 enemies with 10k HP each.

And then the PvP tournaments... They used to be great. But then they changed the match making algorithm so that now every fight is a tired slog. And since there is now always an Alliance season running, you HAVE to do well in every single PvP tournament non stop or you are letting down your alliance.

Alliances are another thing... they are great socially. But the pressure they put you under is enourmous. And again, it's all in or all out. Without being in a good alliance, you'll miss 30% of each tournament's reward! You might as well not bother if you aren't in an alliance.

And the time commitment required to stay in the game is 2 hours EVERY SINGLE DAY. And even that is sometimes not enough, with retarded ending times in the middle of the night for EU players which means all your effort is wasted thanks to rubber banding of US players near the end of the tournament while you are sleeping.

Just do yourself a favor and don't get involved in this game. It's a bottomless black hole that you can't escape from.

Why I quit now and not weeks ago? Season 1 just ended and I could finally leave without fucking over my alliance. They are great people and they didn't deserve being abandoned halfway through the season.

Posting this in Victoly, since our Alliance managed to secure a Top 100 spot for season 1 (out of 20k alliances).

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 09:17:29 pm »
Closing in on the end of Disc 2 of Final Fantasy VII. I'd forgotten how bad the translation was for this game; all kinds of missed punctuation, responses to questions that weren't asked, etc etc etc. Wow.

Now to get all the imaginary stuff and kill all the imaginary bad guys, then watch AC Complete* on Netflix to top it off.

I need a new hobby.

*That scene of the guy puking his guts up kind of put me off my soup. Thanks, SE.

edit: shite, this goes in Gaming Progress.

Mew seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 10:01:16 am »
Lately, I finished the main game of Touhou Labyrinth. While technically I still have 10 more floors to go, you can only do that after finishing the game.
Anyway, it was a fun game. Basically, you go in a maze, explore around, find stuff, fight monsters and so on.
There is some grinding in the game but assuming you explore the floors, a decent part of will be done as you look around everywhere.
The battle are punishing and you can die very quickly. On the other hand, you can run away with 100% chance of success and your HP is refilled after battle.
It is also possible to rest to recover SP, the penalty being that you will lose some of the time you can stay in the labyrinth before going back to town.
Random battle are fast as you try to finish the monster before you get damaged.
Monsters deal a ton of damage and only an handful of character can heal or tank.
Boss battle are endurance matches where you try to survive while dealing damage.
A majority of enemies, boss included are susceptible to status ailments and using them will make your life much much easier.

There is some degree of customization in the game as there is a ton of characters to beat up and put in slavery to recruit in the game.
Each of them has their set of special moves and stats.
Reimu is basically your white mage with Spirit type attack including a multi targetting one that paralyze and also has a barrier move and an healing move for the team.
Marisa is your black mage with a magic buff move and various Mystic (well, magic) element attack
for various circumstance including the Master Spark that eat all of your SP but leave a big mark to your unlucky target.  :)
Patchouly is your typical squishy wizard with lot of elemental attacks plus a piercing non elemental one for bosses.
And it goes on. X D
On top of that, you can spend bonus points on specific characters to power up whatever stat you want to improve.
Hopefully, said character will still be used at the end of the game. X D

The music is nice but it would be nicer if it looped instead of restarting. X D
The story is ok. The big plus it has is not the plot itself but how much it breaks the fourth wall. Do not expect character development here. : P

Anyway, if you're tired of pressing X to win and want to be challenged to the point of getting more and more Total Party Kill as you go through the game,
consider giving Touhou Labyrinth a try. ^^