News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Re: Gaming Progress Thread  (Read 5511 times)

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Progress Thread
« on: March 08, 2014, 06:20:51 pm »
Outside of Hard, lowered difficulty on Catherine doesn't change a whole lot. There are more energy drinks on Easy than on Normal, but you can rewind on both.

I enjoy that game immensely, but my main goal is to Ace each level on Hard, which is a monumental challenge.

Unfortunately the final bonus challenge is glitched in the localized versions of the game, and is near-impossible (even moreso than usual) without playing with 2 people. 
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Gaming Progress Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 11:53:47 pm »
I defeated Youmu and cleared the 2nd floor in Labyrinth of Touhou.
The game test your ability to fight properly with the Youmu battle.
If you can both survive and deal lot of damage here, you can clear it.
Some grinding might be needed but if you have explored the rest of the game so far, not much should be needed.
Also, I am using my own awesome selected pictures for the playable characters.
Chen look especially awesome (instead of the uber cute look several people go with)!

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 06:24:54 pm »
Dumped a bunch of time into Dark Souls 2. Probably about halfway through. Anyone else playing?

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 10:09:41 pm »
My brother's picking it up when he gets paid Friday, we're both FROM fans, but the Souls series has kind of been his thing ever since he fell in love with Demon's. I have to say I actually probably enjoy watching him play through the games more than I actually enjoy playing them. I did tell him I'd give this one a shot (as I skipped Dark Souls for the most part).

I'm playing FFX HD, and man is it gorgeous. One of my all time favorite games, and I don't work for the rest of the week, so I'm going to savor this, and pick up on all the nice little touches. The amount of added content (for the NA release at least) is staggering. I can't wait to tackle some of those superbosses from the International version.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 07:14:14 pm »
Made it through FF4, 5, and 6.

I've moved on to 7, but the main thing I notice is how it's usually just quicker to cast magic in the opening game. I remember attacking a lot when I first played it, but the game is heavily biased towards magic at this early stage. I've just got the Force Stealer, though, so we'll see if it's a game-changer or not.

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 05:37:14 pm »
I made it to floor 7 in Labyrinth of Touhou. The St Elmo fire bosses were more annoying than hard with their ability to silence you and drain your SP.
The mob thrash in the floors are quite manageable so far but anything faster than you is annoying as any damage you have at the end of a battle limit the time you can stay on a floor.
The battle against Yuugi was a race to nuke her before she KO your team one by one but otherwise wasn't so hard.
What gave me the more trouble so far was finding decent custom profile pictures for some of the characters.
I wonder when there will be a big difficulty spike but I guess I should be enjoying the game not being too hard for now. X D

I.S.T.

• Ten years, still no avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 12:57:15 am »
Heavily Modded Fallout New Vegas, I'm on Honest Hearts, though I am taking a break.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 10:48:50 pm »
I made the choice to try and replay Final Fantasy X. I had some pretty intensely built-up hatred for this game, and I finally realized, after three years, that it was unfounded. The new play-through was going well and I was liking it... until I decided that I also needed to bring home the trophy for the Aurochs. It took me five hours. I think I can recite the scenes for that word-for-word.

Then I wanted to get Wakka's overdrive Attack Reels. I did that, too, but dear gods was it a lot of work. Between all of that, I have to say, I never, ever want to play blitzball again. Ever. As a matter of fact, it soured my FFX experience.

I'm going to put it away for a week or so again and try to come back to it.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 12:34:29 pm »
Attack Reels require 2-3 games in a tournament.

Trying to get the trophy for the Aurochs is a pain unless you've played a lot, and understand the mechanics.

You can get away with 26-28 games of Blitz total, to acquire everything.

Also playing FFX HD, almost done with the story.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 03:10:52 pm »
Playing Age of Wonders 3. It's brand new but feels very old school and is brutally hard. If you never heard of the series, think Heroes of Might & Magic. It's basically Civilization empire building coupled with very strategic hex-based tactical battles and lite RPG elements. So all the best things you can ask for together in one package >:D The battles can also reach quite large a scale with 7*6 units on the field in total. The graphics are quite excellent, though I hear some people complain about performance issues, it's running smooth as butter on my rig though. I can only imagine that people just equate turn based strategy with "runs on a toster".
I played the first two story missions so far and those alone took me 10 hours to complete. The third mission ended in failure in my first attempt. The AI is absolutely ruthless and will make use of every weakness you leave open. And so far the campaign didn't leave me the luxury of competing with just one enemy either, noooo, two front wars all the way.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 03:34:09 pm »
The new play-through was going well and I was liking it... until I decided that I also needed to bring home the trophy for the Aurochs. It took me five hours. I think I can recite the scenes for that word-for-word.

This fortunately only took me three or four tries. There's actually a trick to it - if you set control to manual, get the ball, then retreat to the Aurochs's goal and actually just sort of hover behind Keepa as close to your own goal as possible, everyone will just get confused and spin in circles. You can pass the ball back and forth between some of the players to keep their HP up and get them some experience, but mostly you just want to run out the clock. At the half you can give Tidus Jecht Shot which will get you a goal, and Wakka comes with Venom Shot which will also probably get you a goal. Then it's just a matter of hiding and waiting for the time to expire.

Edit: Actually, on this note, I'm playing FFX HD too. I can play Blitz generally fine but I know that there are a handful of players that are better than others; where and whenabouts can I recruit these? I've done Operation Mi'ihen, have passed Djose Temple, and rode ze shoopuff to the otherside of the Moonflow, but stopped there. Any further tips for the minigame, on the whole, would be appreciated.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 10:58:58 pm »
In the early levels of Blitz, a team of Tidus (LF) Wedge (RF/MF) and Brother (need to be on the airship the first time, at least), is unstoppable. Ropp, who's on the Mi'hen Highroad, in the Al Bhed Shop, is one of the game's best defenders. Jumal, who's in Luca square (on the bench, by the bar) is a very good goalie in the early game.

If you've played enough to know the tricks, you can easily win with Tidus, and Wedge/Brother, and not need much other help. On the moonflow (I think Guadosalom side) there's a great defender named Miyu, she's also a very serviceable goalie until about level 30.

Brother and Wedge both falter late game. After about level 30/35 (far past what you'd play if you were just going for Wakka's stuff) their stat growth starts to slow down. Brother has the advantage of having 99 Speed, so he's always useful (even if his stats end up average), but Wedge becomes a liability. His stats supposedly go down once you reach level 85, but I've never been close to that.

The Kilika Beast (the worst team in the game) actually end up really good once you get to the 40's or so. With 3 of the best players in the game.

TL;DR. If you need a team Tidus, Wedge (Right outside Luca stadium), Brother (if you can wait til the first airship ride), Ropp (Mi'hen Highroad Shop) and Jassu work great. Miyu (Moonflow) can be the other defender, or your goalie until you find one you want. If you care about trophies, or Auron's Overdrive, you can backtrack to Besaid (takes about 2 hours both ways) after the Macalania woods, right before the temple there.

If you don't care about that, then no worries. You can backtrack to Luca, and grab Wedge, Jumal, and Ropp if you want an OP team.

Edit: If you're really into Blitz Ball, I've also got a few other recomendations. Not the best players, but some of the ones with interesting gimmicks, or just outside the team that everyone else uses. This time through the game I went with the Aurochs + Wakka and only; not optimal, but you save a lot of Gil for later. 

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 06:44:42 am »
I really think I hate Wild Arms 3. Like, seriously.

It started off great at first, a train heist on a dark and stormy night. A girl rushes in to find a treasure being stolen and three men point guns at each other, and then vignettes about them to expand on their past. Typical Wild Arms stuff. Then they learn of a mission they need to go on, and the four band together and set off to carry it out. The girl meets a rival and learns that being a Drifter of the desert wasteland of Filgaia may not be what she thinks it is.

Of course, the cast is everything to me in a JRPG. The world comes second. We've got a strong, if dull-looking, world in Filgaia, but what about the core four?

1. Virginia is a young girl from a small town trying to do good for people, explore the world as a Drifter, and find her father.
2. Clive is a traveling scholar from another small town, trying to figure out why Filgaia is stagnating.
3. Jet is a somewhat callous Drifter who just wants to survive another day.
4. Gallows is from a tiny village that happens to be the last remaining religious hub in the world. He shuns his role as the next in line for being the priest of the Guardians.

About fifteen hours in, I'm halfway through or so it seems. What's going on with our cast?

Spoiler:
Virginia has resolved to be her own kind of Drifter. She has found her father and learned why he had to leave. Good things.

Clive, he's...

Well, Jet's...

...Umm...

...Well, Gallows has decided he's going to embrace being the priest of his village.

And it's just dragging on. The turn-based battle system is alright if a bit bland, but the battle music sucks and the development of the characters is nonexistent. The new Medium system is terrible compared to the ones from Wild Arms and Wild Arms 2. If it weren't for the opening theme, Advanced Wind, I wouldn't still be with this game. I really hope Wild Arms 4 is good, otherwise I'm going to sell this entire series...

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 06:05:53 pm »
Quit now and save your time! Wild Arms 3 is amongst the worst RPGs I've ever played in my life. I regret the time I wasted on that game for much of the same reasons you've mentioned. There's nothing further for you to look forward to. It will continue to drag on on with nonexistent character development and broken, terrible gameplay right to the end.

Now, don't let that stop you from Wild Arms 4 and 5 because they go in a different direction all around and are much better, culminating with 5 which I really enjoyed.

Here is my take on them if interested. I think I had a few spoilers in my Wild Arms 3 tirade. Beware.

Wild Arms 3
Wild Arms 4
Wild Arms 5
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Isao Kronos

• ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 06:07:49 pm »
i need to finish 5 one of these days i got pretty dang far

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 06:45:17 pm »
It's been quite a while, they could fork over a Wild Arms 6.

Most of my gaming time lately has been sucked up by Smite. Oh dear lord is it great. It's a Dota/LoL style game with the usual genre mechanics. The twist is that you play your character directly from a close 3rd person view, like you'd control a character in a modern MMO. It makes such a huge difference. It feels so much more immediate and intense when you are right there in the battles. It also shifts the required skillset to do well in the game towards good movement and 3D map awareness. Every damaging ability in the game is a skill shot so anything can be dodged. No more "I win"-button characters like Karthus et. al. And coming up on an enemy from behind is actually worth something now too because people don't have eyes in their backs.

I'm still going through the leveling phase, so it's possible I might end up quitting for the same reasons I finally left LoL: a toxic community. But so far, I'm having an absolute blast.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

BRPXQZME

• everything sucks forever
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 08:26:14 pm »
Still gooning it up in FFXIV, nothing new.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 09:47:33 am »
Quit now and save your time! Wild Arms 3 is amongst the worst RPGs I've ever played in my life. I regret the time I wasted on that game for much of the same reasons you've mentioned. There's nothing further for you to look forward to. It will continue to drag on on with nonexistent character development and broken, terrible gameplay right to the end.

Now, don't let that stop you from Wild Arms 4 and 5 because they go in a different direction all around and are much better, culminating with 5 which I really enjoyed.

Here is my take on them if interested. I think I had a few spoilers in my Wild Arms 3 tirade. Beware.

Wild Arms 3
Wild Arms 4
Wild Arms 5
I was looking for your WA3 review, actually, to try and give me a reason to stop playing. I don't necessarily think anyone on the cast is whiny, just so, so fucking bland. They're just "there." It could be Virginia on her own, traversing the wasteland. The boys don't serve any purpose at all other than as game-play elements.

I'm going to copy my WA3 save onto my second memory card and call it a day and move onto WA4.

MrBing

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 01:21:09 pm »
WA3's characters don't need to develop. Their discipline and fortitude are catalysts for the development of those around them. They set an example.

I liked WA3's gameplay. Only thing I didn't like about the game was the puzzles and the difficulty of finding stuff on the map... probably need a walkthrough for that. You don't get pwned by bosses because you can reconfigure your whole setup mid-fight, so you never die. The game's doesn't take cheap shots.

Oh, and there are no rationalizing silver-haired bishounen trope bad guys to be seen. :P

fairdenizen

• America's Individuality
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2014, 05:22:17 am »
I was looking for your WA3 review, actually, to try and give me a reason to stop playing. I don't necessarily think anyone on the cast is whiny, just so, so fucking bland. They're just "there." It could be Virginia on her own, traversing the wasteland. The boys don't serve any purpose at all other than as game-play elements.

I'm going to copy my WA3 save onto my second memory card and call it a day and move onto WA4.

Since you put it down, go ahead and look up spoilers and see what you saved yourself from. Worst final boss, ever.