News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Genesis music editing  (Read 4888 times)

Megahog2014

• View Profile
Genesis music editing
« on: January 06, 2015, 11:44:12 pm »
Excuse me I have another question for you guys is there a way to change the music on sega genesis games... I wanted to higher up the pitch so I can use them for my Sega AtGames Console..... I plan on only changing the music thats all

Malias

• View Profile
Re: Genesis music editing
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 05:32:07 am »
Like most things in rom hacking, of course it's possible; it just might not be easy.  Each game for the system used its own sound driver meaning music representation varies between games.  So, unless your game has a utility or uses a well-documented sound driver, such as GEMS, modifying pitches might be tricky.

What's your game?
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

Megahog2014

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 07:28:54 am »
Well There are multiple I want to edit but I mainly want to higher up the pitch for sonic games, Ristar, comic zone, and a few others....

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 07:03:22 am »
Maybe you should just fix the real problem? It sounds like you are trying to compensate for bad hardware. Wrongly I might suspect. You don't want to change the pitch, you want to apply an equalizer effect to compensate for the poor speakers.

Megahog2014

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 10:05:45 pm »
oh ok then how do I do that?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 10:36:07 pm »
If you want to use the unit's built-in speakers, you'll probably have to crack it open and apply some electrical engineering skills.  This is probably only slightly more complicated than trying to hack the music engine of each game.

If you want to use headphones or different speakers, well, there's bound to be something suitable out there with a built-in equalizer.  I wouldn't know offhand, though.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Megahog2014

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 02:59:52 pm »
well.... there is a slight problem with that.... the AtGames console is mainly a genesis on a chip.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 03:09:52 pm »
Are you sure that they aren't just emulators?

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 03:28:44 pm »
I've been doing the research on these things. They're Chinese made Genesis knock-offs. It's pure emulation (wonder what emulator it uses).
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 01:30:48 pm »
Maybe you should just fix the real problem? It sounds like you are trying to compensate for bad hardware. Wrongly I might suspect. You don't want to change the pitch, you want to apply an equalizer effect to compensate for the poor speakers.

To be clear, this is incorrect -- it's not an EQ issue, and the OP asked for exactly what he wanted, as AtGames units definitely play the music at the wrong pitch.

From what I've heard via YouTube captures, they're about a major third too low, so that'd be a 4/5 ratio, or 20% below the correct frequencies. Here are two videos from Sonic to compare:

AtGames unit

Correct version

This video review also has multiple examples, with Sonic featured around 12:30. The title screen music is in F, vs. the original A; the Green Hill Zone music is playing back in A-flat, vs. the original's C; and so on. At least in the case of Sonic, it seems pretty consistent, and the music in the Mortal Kombat clip at 20:00 is also 20% too low.

As for how to fix it, I have no idea, and outside of the usefulness of knowing how Genesis games handle their frequency tables, it'd be wasted effort to "fix" games for a bad clone like AtGames's effort. I suppose you could always send the audio through a real-time pitch shifter!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 01:41:57 pm by goldenband »

Megahog2014

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 12:54:46 pm »
That could actually work  :).... um quick question is there anyone that you may know that I could hook up to my tv :-\

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 02:35:27 pm »
Oh dear, that is indeed a pitch error. But as they are emulators, just fix the emulator software.

Megahog2014

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 02:42:59 pm »
I don't know how :( but I was considering buying a pitch shifter so I could use it on my system but I don't know where I could buy one

Megahog2014

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 09:20:58 pm »
ok.... switch of plans now I really want to change the pitch of the audio is there anyone who could help me :-\