News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Does there exist another Metal Slug Romhack besides the fake Metal Slug 6?  (Read 2994 times)

dylstew

• View Profile
Does there exist another Metal Slug Romhack besides the fake Metal Slug 6?

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
Re: Does there exist another Metal Slug Romhack besides the fake Metal Slug 6?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 02:17:11 am »
Well, Metal Slug X is essentially a rom hack of Metal Slug 2, but to my knowledge, no. At least no meaningful level hacks or anything.

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 09:40:41 pm »
Can someone who has more technical knowledge explain why there are few arcade/neo-geo rom hacks? Surely, it can't be due to lack of interest. I mean Metal Slug is one of the most popular run'n'gun series of all time and it's not like it's 3D so one would think that would make hacking a bit easier.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 01:35:37 am »
Surely, it can't be due to lack of interest.
Well, what exactly would you do?  It seems to me the level layouts are more tightly integrated than the likes of Mega Man or SMB, in that you can't make little changes without changing a lot of other things.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
Have you seen how complex the sprites and tilesets are?

I think that may have something to do with the rarity of Metal Slug ROM hacks.  It'd take forever to assemble them in an aesthetically pleasing way that also allows for decent level design.  Similar stuff has been done in other engines (Mushroom Kingdom Fusion and Super Mario Fusion Revival use a lot of Metal Slug tiles for 'real world' levels), but it seems like an awfully high amount of work regardless.  You'd probably be better off trying to draw all new graphics to be honest...

And that's only the aesthetic side.  God knows what kind of other technical barriers might make designing new Metal Slug levels difficult...
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

psp_revival

• View Profile
Not on NeoGeo hardware but there are a couple games that use ripped Metal Slug graphics.

Pandora : Mini Slug Project.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paIYMpkXgsQ

Caanoo Wiz : Metal Slug Zombies.
http://pdroms.de/caanoo/metal-slug-zombies-14-02-2012-game