News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Robot Wars A Portable (PSP) English translation project (complete)  (Read 198387 times)

gutinhofrombrazil

• View Profile
Re: Super Robot Wars A Portable (PSP) English translation project
« Reply #280 on: September 26, 2017, 02:45:02 pm »
As a Brazilian JRPG'er, and huge fan of SRW franchise, i thank you on the fine work you are providing, and hope your team can achieve their goal for a full translation.

I'm quite aware of the gargantuan effort the translation of such a game is, and thank you for your hard work.

Godspeed, and may the light of mankind shine through you

Deiser

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 07, 2018, 10:53:10 pm »
I stumbled across, on youtube, some videos showing fully translated battle quotes, which is mentioned in the opening post to be completed (they're how I found out about this, since I googled the translation afterwards). However, the only patch I see in the opening post seems to be far earlier buildwise than that. Am I missing a link somewhere, or are those samples shown by the team that aren't released yet? Only reason I ask is because the person who released them isn't the same as the person linked in the opening post.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWyLJ5OstHQ

kurow

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 08, 2018, 06:56:05 pm »
I've also seen those videos on YouTube and even asked about the version that has been playing but user haven't replied :(

Hope to play it soon, I'm addicted!

the cool guy

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 14, 2018, 04:36:57 am »
Given that the guy also has English Alpha 2 videos, I'd think that he just edits the video.

Atelier Tohka

• Spirit Alchemist of Ratatoskr
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 23, 2018, 04:42:11 pm »
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Always nice to see more Super Robot Wars being translated.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #285 on: February 24, 2018, 06:20:41 pm »
Hi there folks!
I haven't kept up regularly with the communication here, but progress has continued on the project! Happy new year! ::)
AP's never been so close to being done. :angel: :laugh:
Still, you guys should keep having one :beer: to relax and enjoy the wait (or the wait for SRW X, was it?)

DragonFang

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 18, 2018, 09:42:32 am »
Hi there folks!
I haven't kept up regularly with the communication here, but progress has continued on the project! Happy new year! ::)
Still, you guys should keep having one :beer: to relax and enjoy the wait (or the wait for SRW X, was it?)

Nice to see you again BlackDog. Still waiting patiently. :)

I doubt I'll ever play SRW X because of the platforms (PS4/Vita), but I'm still hopeful that one day Original Generations (PS2) will be translated in some capacity. Still my favorite SRW universe, though the second game on GBA is hard as nails on EX-Hard mode.  :P

Atelier Tohka

• Spirit Alchemist of Ratatoskr
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 19, 2018, 01:56:00 am »
Hi there folks!

Glad to hear about progress being made. Take your time. I'm sure most of us understand this kind of thing isn't easy, after all.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 19, 2018, 02:25:53 am »
Here is the riddle of the day:

Do you guys have an answer?  8)

Chocobunneh

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 19, 2018, 03:10:27 am »
Hmm, I wonder.  :laugh:

Orochi Kusanagi

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 19, 2018, 03:16:27 am »
Happy Birthday SRWAP! I can't believe it has been that long already, haha.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 19, 2018, 11:45:45 am »
Yep, so you got it!
We've released the official 100%-translation patch for SRW AP! Woohoo! I'm so happy! It had to be today as a hommage to the original Japanese release, and respect for their work.
We couldn't let you guys think that you'd be out of SRW's to play, after The Lord of Elemental and X. Summer is long... So we're helping you!
I'll be updating the first post, but the translation is already up.
So are we - we're up for feedback, and thanks too if you don't mind. ;D
Happy playing!

I just wanted to share here what we tried to mention in the news and translation entries, but twisted a bit because of the requested forms. It's in the readme, though.

This translation was born out of friendship, respect for the original work and their authors, and love for Super Robot Wars and their related anime series. Over the 5 years of the project, we tried to build a translation that would convey the original experience - in the story, in the graphics - to English speakers. We sincerely hope that you enjoy your time with A Portable, even if it comes kicking you hard with its difficulty!

Notes from the Translator:
During the robot selection you may notice that the robot commonly known as "Ash Savior" has been renamed "Aschenretter". You might be wondering about this change, so I'd like to give an explanation behind my reasoning.
This change stems from another name change: the Weiss Savior, which I renamed "Weissretter". This robot comes from Super Robot Wars OGs (it was not featured in the original GBA release), as a parallel to Excellen's Weissritter. It just so happens that "Savior" translates to "Retter" in German, and I figured that the parallel between the two names would be even more evident if they shared the same name convention (Excellen's Weissritter and Lemon's Weissretter).
Now, with the Savior part changed to Retter, I figured I should also change the basic robot name to match the new naming convention, so Ash Savior was renamed to a full German name: Aschenretter. Being a playable unit, you can still opt to rename it "Ash Savior" during robot selection, if you prefer.

Bright's biography has been completely rewritten, as the original one was incredibly bare. I wrote a more detailed biography and added a bit of trivia, similarly to other biography entries in game. Hopefully the few who actually go and check the encyclopedia entries will appreciate the change :)

I should add a few words regarding my portrayal of the speech pattern of some characters, mainly Jack King, Hidler and Lamia.
- Jack King (from Getter Robo) is meant as a very stereotypical American, in Japan. His original lines tend to be hard to understand because he uses a lot of gratuitous Engrish. To convey that in translation, I decided to play up his "Texas" origin, giving him a heavy Southerner accent during editing.
- If you choose to play as Lamia in the Super Route, you'll probably notice that the character of Hidler speaks in a... peculiar way. Started a bit as a joke, I decided to write him with a highly stereotypical German accent, due to the obvious reference. I added some German words here and there to spice it up (mostly words that are similar to English), and capitalized nouns like in their grammar. I probably messed up something here and there, but I hope you can get a laugh out of this silliness (and that I don't offend our German players!).
- Speaking of Lamia, I should spend a few words regarding my portrayal of her speech quirk. If you played the Atlus release of OG2, you may have noticed that her speech problem was portrayed as a stutter, something that in my opinion doesn't really work (why would the other characters call it a weird accent, or think she's trying to be funny?) In the original Japanese script, Lamia has a "bug" in her speech function, which makes her polite speech ("keigo" in Japanese) come out wrong, with redundancies and awkward phrasing overall. I've decided to write this quirk as a mix of awkward word positioning, plus inserting made-up words created by mixing two different words of similar meaning. This way, it seems like she's trying to sound polite, formal or cultured while failing miserably, which suits the reaction of those who listen to her.

A note from the programmer:
As my first game translation ever, this project has been an interesting challenge to myself. I've thrived to give the best quality I can - even with limited assembly skills. In all honesty, this has been a great learning exercise. The game is overall on the "easier to get into" from a programming side, thanks to its being on the PSP (which offers a great emulator with debugging capabilities, has known graphical formats, has known assembly toolchains and whatnot), and thanks to its internal structure.
As a sharing of experience with others, I'd like to mention that I set out hoping for this to be a project for "2 years or so". It ended up as 5 years, and I feel that quite a few of these were very busy, turning both the translator and myself into no-lives. But they were great, and I think this translation reached this state thanks to the great relationship we've established and entertained. This is a prety big game, when you think about it: 58 missions, 26k lines of story text, 13k lines of battle quotes, 7k short lines of other text, 490+ weapons, 428 mechs, 88 playable characters among a cast of 199, 61 musics. So that'd count as 2 takeaways: always care for the people in your team, and don't ever think you understand how long the project will take. I hope the friendship shows through in the translation.

Undust your PSP's!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 12:53:08 pm by BlackDog61 »

Shadow1798

• View Profile
It immediately crashes upon gameplay regardless of patching method, path chosen, or version of PPSSPP.

Says "Bad vshader was cached". Went into my graphics card settings and disabled the shader cache, the error doesn't change.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:04:49 pm by Shadow1798 »

Isao Kronos

• Dogman
    • View Profile
Change the renderer off Vulkan, I found DX11 to work the best if you've got that.

Also, if someone has the time I can't figure out the new addresses for the money on A Portable so I can do my usual screw-around-with-max-cash-run. I can't figure ppsspp's searchers for the life of me. Give a heads up in this thread if you've got the new first part of the value because the old one doesn't work!

BlackDog61

• View Profile
Change the renderer off Vulkan, I found DX11 to work the best if you've got that.
Yep, good point. I'm not sure why, though.

Also, if someone has the time I can't figure out the new addresses for the money on A Portable so I can do my usual screw-around-with-max-cash-run. I can't figure ppsspp's searchers for the life of me. Give a heads up in this thread if you've got the new first part of the value because the old one doesn't work!
Would you have the old one handy, by any chance?

Orochi Kusanagi

• View Profile
Congrats on this incredible release. It's one of my favorites in the franchise.

lol94

• View Profile
Good Job translating this game. I waited for 2 years and you guys did a really brilliant job! :happy: :thumbsup:

Cahos Rahne Veloza

• View Profile

Bookmarked this thread discussion page for when that illusive Max Money cheat code is eventually located ;)

• FINAL BEAM
    • View Profile
Would you have the old one handy, by any chance?

sense no one put it up here

0x2088A0E0 0x0098967F
Two Stars of Calamity Shines in the Darkness....Calamity Sword Darkness Slash!

the cool guy

• View Profile
Since the readme asked for information about this, Multipatcher on macOS seems to consistently fail at applying the patch. This isn't the first time I've seen this program exhibit some really weird behaviour either.

Edit: I seem to have hit a bug in the translation when using PPSSPP. Whenever I enter combat, the game will freeze entirely. This does not happen when running the Japanese copy on the same configuration. I can recreate this across several different operating systems, backend graphical systems, PPSSPP releases for these operating systems, as well as hardware configurations (have tested two physical configurations and a virtualized configuration), so I'm quite sure that the issue is in the patched ISO.

Edit 2: Repatching the game with DeltaPatcher instead of the included batch files seemed to fix this, and gave me a final output file roughly 200MB bigger than the batch files gave me (I'm currently running a 1,143,351,296 byte ISO, is this correct?). Since both the patch and source ISO are the same, I think the batch files might be borked.

Edit 3: On macOS's latest PPSSPP release, the "Hardware transform" feature will break the cursor and has to be disabled. This is obviously an emulator bug, but I figured I'd note it for others. Furthermore, disabling buffered rendering will break things, so don't. Other than that, the game runs well on the latest release of macOS on a 2017 15" MacBook Pro.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 03:00:38 pm by the cool guy »