News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Robot Wars A Portable (PSP) English translation project (complete)  (Read 175755 times)

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
Re: Super Robot Wars A Portable (PSP) English translation project
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2015, 02:57:31 pm »
Well hello there, Goldorak fan!

- First I applied the patch to my ISO using the 64bits .bat on windows 8.1. I ended up with a shrinked english ISO (from 1.6Gb for the original to 1.3 Gb)
not sure why and if that's normal?
It is expected, as there was a large empty (dummy) file that is no longer there... and also because the patch doesn't contain all of the story yet. But that's secondary with regards to size. 8)

- Now I started playing on my PSP slim (2000) and made it to stage 3 intermission. Now anytime I try to go to next stage, I'm stuck at loading screen (black one with loading on bottom right) and after a few secs the psp shuts down.

I'm running Prometheus 6.6 pro

will be doing more tests with original iso to see if I can get past this point, or re-start from begining, or re-patch etc.
Waw, that's entirely new. I don't remember anyone else reporting any problem with the Slim. Having said that, we haven't had an extensive test of all models, I guess. As you can see in the main post, one tester used a PSP 2000 (not sure how that's different from Slim) with 6.60 Pro B10. Which "B" is your firmware?
Please let us know how it goes. (Chances are you can load that save with the Japanese game, by the way.)

prince2phore

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2015, 11:12:16 pm »
Ok, good news. I did further tests and got it fix, though of course I'm not certain how.
I generated another ISO and re-patched it using 32bit bat this time. also tried with graphical tool.
I removed and re-copied the patched ISO to my PSP.
Now works fine.

I don't think it's the re-patching or the new ISO, I'm thinking more of some bad sector on my memory stick or something.
the size of the patched and new ISO was exactly same as before...

Anyway, I'll do another test by just re-copying my originally failing patched iso, to confirm the memory stick issue.
In the meantime I switched back to Saisei Hen, I wish you could also work on this one with the patch still floating around but the team who made it dropped the ball...

Anyway, thanks again, I'm back on SRW A now and damned it's more difficult than my memories of the GBA version playthrough, and definitely harder than SRW Z2!

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2015, 03:31:03 am »
Hey there!
Just a quick word to say we're at it on the project, as decided as ever!
Latest news:
- Zenki's progressed on episode 6 up to the moment the map shows up.
- I've started developing an internal "scenario editor" tool for our translator (i'd love to put an "s" here ;)). I'm not sure if it will really speed things up, but at least it gives them a more friendly "WYSYWYG" means of translating. Oh, and of editing, too. It's really just babbling for now. I'll post a screenshot when it looks like something more than just a list of crazy text. I'm planning to have character portraits show up because I think it puts you better "in context" of the story, which is important when translating.

I.S.T.

• Ten years, still no avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2015, 04:22:13 am »
Question about the game: How does it difference from the original GBA version other than visuals and audio?
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

• FINAL BEAM
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2015, 09:47:53 am »
iirc I think Lemon Browning has a WeissSavor (from OGs) instead of the usual Ash Savior that's the biggest difference I've noticed in my playthroughs
Two Stars of Calamity Shines in the Darkness....Calamity Sword Darkness Slash!

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2015, 05:47:13 pm »
Has anyone mentioned you can skip battle animations on the PSP version (but not on the GBA one)?
IIRC, the GBA version also has shields (as an "extralife bar" - or something like that).
The scenario (and text) are by far and large the same.

December 25, 2015, 02:10:41 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Merry Christmas to all SRW fans - and all non-fans too!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 02:10:41 am by BlackDog61 »

prince2phore

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2015, 05:10:19 am »
I have a stupid question I didn't find the answer to yet.
after finishing the 4 translated stages, I get the credit etc.
to be able to continue past that just with the menu translated, I had to switch to original jap version, load my save, continue to stage 5, quick save and switch again to patched version.
though now I sometime trigger the patch ending again (still in stage 5) using the patched version...

in short, what's the method to keep on playing with patched version after stage 4, if at all possible?

thanks!

oh and well, I'm not jap speaker but if you could share your tools not only for translation, I would know if I can help or not... I'm definitely curious anyway on what you use to take those files apart and generate this binary diff patch :)

and of course, merry xmas and happy new year !

Lumiere

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2015, 12:28:01 pm »
When the patch was first released, BlackDog stated that it isn't possible to play past stage 4. If you want to play more of A Portable, you have to play it untranslated.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2015, 05:21:53 pm »
in short, what's the method to keep on playing with patched version after stage 4, if at all possible?
As Lumiere said, it isn't intended to be possible. We've discussed the topic a couple of times, and for now the team's position is that we should release only "completely English" experience. Sorry for the wait.

I'm not jap speaker but if you could share your tools not only for translation, I would know if I can help or not... I'm definitely curious anyway on what you use to take those files apart and generate this binary diff patch :)
I'm not sure I'll share them. Not until the game translation is near completion, at least. I do tend to answer questions from people who want to do something with the game, though. Like a certain "someone" who's already posted in this thread somewhere. ;D But I wanted to share more about our regular progress. Not out of pride, but more to discuss things, see if we're doing this just for us or also others. ;)
I keep on upgrading the tools, anyway. It's a living translation thing! 8)

If you don't care or prefer that I stick to "pure" translation updates, I can revert to that. I'm just experimenting on "the right" formula.

December 31, 2015, 06:28:56 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Happy New Year!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 06:28:56 pm by BlackDog61 »

prince2phore

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2016, 09:38:54 pm »
Hey no it's fine, by any mean pease continue those updates.
though I'm a developper myself, or used to be, I know for a fact I'll never have time to really contribute, so it was just out of curiosity really.

as for not playing until fully translated, well I missed this conversation, where I would certainly have advocated for a different choice but well, I respect your position, no problem (but I'm having so much fun with SRW Z2.1 and 2.2 I don't know if the guys who now gave up on this project had the same policy... would have been so sad).

thanks again and keep up the amazing work!

Sabin Stargem

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2016, 06:10:24 am »
Figured I would chime in with a concern.  Quoting Grandmaster Meio's Item FAQ:  "According to some sources, the Counter skill part is bugged. It won't give you the Counter skill, even if it's listed."  I don't know if bugfixing falls into the project's purview, but figured that I would mention it anyways.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2016, 05:25:56 pm »
Figured I would chime in with a concern.  Quoting Grandmaster Meio's Item FAQ:  "According to some sources, the Counter skill part is bugged. It won't give you the Counter skill, even if it's listed."  I don't know if bugfixing falls into the project's purview, but figured that I would mention it anyways.
Has anyone been able to verify this?
Not sure I'll be able to fix it. (Not to mention mytime is too limited. So no promises or whatever. Unless I win at the lottery or something.) It'll be on the list of things that might be interesting some day - thanks for pointing it out!

January 07, 2016, 06:20:09 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Has anyone been able to verify this?
Double-confirmation received on srwg and from Japanese wikis. OK!
If anyone had a save with an unused counter item, I'd be greateful for their sharing it! :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 06:20:09 pm by BlackDog61 »

Sabin Stargem

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2016, 05:04:17 am »
If anyone had a save with an unused counter item, I'd be greateful for their sharing it! :)

Here is a save where I used CWCheat to add all robot and skill parts after the first mission.   It was built using the Japanese version of the game, but it looks like the savefile can be loaded up in the translated version.  Mind, I have no idea what sorts of bugbears that can cause.  :p

https://sites.google.com/site/sabinstargemsvault/SRWA%20Portable%20Debug%2B.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2016, 04:15:30 pm »
Thank you, Sabin Stargem! I'll be trying it out.
Edit: looks like it does have skill items OK. (Not access to all pilots, but that doesn't matter in this case. ;))
Great!
Now I "only" have to find the source of the problem...  8)

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2016, 05:48:12 am »
Wow! what a translation. I can't wait it, keep it up and good work  :thumbsup:
WebsiteYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2016, 05:32:35 pm »
Hi there!

I know I said I'd try and post more often, but real life caught up.
As you can see on the front post, TheMajinZenki's translated & editor friends have edited episode 6! Yay! That feels good. We're now almost past a quarter of the way. Very nice, very nice.

On my side... How to say that?
- I've tried to trace that "Counter" skill bug. It led me to understanding a couple more pieces of info, but I didn't find where it came from. The displayed text is properly updated when you use the item, the same game also lets you load back properly... It's got to be somewhere that is checked when you get attached. But I'm not sure how to find an entry point to that.
- Qt has been a **** (insert any unfriendly name here - like leeks or spinash if you don't like them) to me. I'm regrouping my forces before I attempt again. It truly wants to keep mysteries about setting up simple stuff, I swear.
- I've received feedback about another 3 small bugs.
- Whoever works in the shadows to re-balance the game made progress. ;D I swear i don't know more, so please don't torture me.  8)

Our friends from SRT GC also have interesting discussions... (I need an open 3DS!)

Have a nice day!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 05:01:30 am by BlackDog61 »

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2016, 07:45:25 am »
For poor smartphone it's afraid to play the remake version because is worried to be unplayable. Poor smartphone must play GBA version instead PSP but i can't read Japanese  :-\. I hope the project finished at 2017 or 2018  :thumbsup:.
WebsiteYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2016, 02:01:11 am »
... And they've officially announced SRW OG The Moon Dwellers on PS3 and PS4. WAW! This could be a very exciting 25th anniversary year!

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2016, 05:17:20 am »
... And they've officially announced SRW OG The Moon Dwellers on PS3 and PS4. WAW! This could be a very exciting 25th anniversary year!
The MCs are from SRW J, right? Are they the only new OG characters?

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2016, 02:12:30 pm »
The MCs are from SRW J, right? Are they the only new OG characters?
Akimi from GC will be there too!