This is the project page for the English translation of Super Robot Wars A Portable on the PSP. This turn-based strategy game boasts well-known anime mecha series
- Getter Robo, G's Benkei, Shin Getter Robo
- Gundams-a-plenty! MS Gundam, Char's Counter attack, The 08th MS Team, 0083: Stardust Memory, Zeta Gundam, Gundam ZZ, Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz, Mobile Fighter G Gundam
- Metal Armor Dragonar
- Martian Successor Nadesico
- Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, UFO Robo Grendizer
- Combattler V, Voltes V, Tosho Daimos
- Daitarn 3, Zambot 3
- and some of the Banpresto Original characters from SRW OG (no Excellen, though, but enough beauties, don't worry
The game has really fully been translated - that covers everything except audio speech (and stylistic Japanese characters in the battle animations, for martial arts for instance - Japanese writing rocks there!)
The PATCH is available on the translation's page
. Please read the readme before reporting any problem.
Here are some videos we shot earlier to wet your appetite:
- Battle animations videos
from the demo carousel - and others
- Let's play the first episode of the Super Robot, Male hero route
- The translated title screen:
- Intermission screen:
(Here is the original one for comparison
)The team: Steel Soul Translations
- Translation of battle quotes, items, names, titles, spirits, weapons, bonuses, skills & abilities: TheMajinZenki
- Edition of battle quotes & story: JeftahX, SSJCyberSonic, Sporky McForkinspoon, KyrilSolin
- Texan accent editing: Blaine_Kodos
- Programming, various reviews: BlackDog61
- Early testing: Lord Oddeye (and other team members)
- With expert consulting from Kingcom, Dashman, JamRules & furrykef
- Wildly based on the story translation guide from Ikusagami, re-translated by TheMajinZenki
- Using Klarth's (great!) TableLib and also sjisdump
- Thanks to AGundam, MrWorm, MarsRaven, cj_iwakura and others for their interest.Known bugs and limitations:
(Please check the readme.)
- Renaming heroes and their robots is more restricted than it would be in modern entries in the SRW series, and you can "get a bad display of text" if you enter too long a name. The game will assume the name is less than 80 pixels, and you are limited in number of characters, but doesn't check the pixels at the time you rename heroes/robots, so it's up to you to be reasonable.
- The "Gundam Deathscythe Hell" has the hell of a long name. We couldn't get ourselves to use an abbreviation for it, so it does "overflow" out of the small status box at the bottom of the screen when the cursor hovers over it.
- "Hyper Mega Particle Cannon" just doesn't fit either. We know abbreviated versions are imperfect, but that's just the way it is.
- Puru 2 decided she'd appear before Puru in the pilots pedia. That's just it. We couldn't find how to change that, though that shouldn't prevent anyone from enjoying the game.
- A unit that is underground will be offered to surface with a menu item that reads "Land" (like it would for a flying unit). While this isn't elegant, there are few units that go underground and we wanted to keep a verb here (rather than going with "on surface" or things like this). It's still fairly understandable.
- The combo attack "Darkness God Finger" has Domon's line incorrect (as it is the same line in Japanese for another attack). It still sounds cool, though. If you have a fix for this, we're interested!
- This translation has been tested on PSP "fat" with 6.60 ME-1.8, PSP-2000 with 6.60 PRO-B10, PSP 3000, and the ppsspp emulator. Other setups may or may not work.Limitations from the original game:
- Like the original game, the Counter skill item doesn't really grant the pilot who uses it the Counter skill (although the Pilot will list it in his/her skills). Couldn't find a fix for this - do let us know if you have one!
- The battle animation for the Stoner Sunshine has hin Getter Robo split into Getter Robo machines instead of their newer counterpart.
- The battle animation for the Dendronium's large beam saber uses red, instead of pink.
- The battle animation for one of Light's attacks cuts the audio for his attack a bit short. But who understands Japanese, anyway, right? - Things we've improved upon the original game:
. Fixed Prof. Yotsuya speaking out of turn in mission 2 (likely copy paste between routes)
. Making characters disappear from screen when they walk away and people "talk in their back" after that.
. Adding humor here and there. Because why not?
. Extra Trivia in the Pilot pedia, thanks to TheMajinZenki being a true fan, and because Bright deserved it, too.FAQ:
And for the usual questions - and a little trivia:
- "How big is the game?"
Here are some "fun facts" figures: 58 missions, 26k lines of story text, 13k lines of battle quotes, 7k short lines of other text, 490+ weapons, 428 mechs, 88 playable characters among a cast of 199, 61 musics.
- "Why this game?"
First because the story translation guide was available, pushing BlackDog61 towards this SRW entry over others. Even if we gave up on using it a bit later down the road. Also, please thank Kingcom and Lakmir for influencing us in choosing the PSP version rather than the GBA one.
Then of course, once TheMajinZenki joined, a virtuous circle of emulation was created, so that's what got us going!
Tested on PSP "fat" with 6.60 ME-1.8, PSP-2000 with 6.60 PRO-B10, PSP 3000, and ppsspp emulator.
Have a nice time with the game!