News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Robot Wars A Portable (PSP) English translation project (complete)  (Read 185957 times)

KingKaiserVictory

• View Profile
Re: Super Robot Wars A Portable (PSP) English translation project
« Reply #220 on: October 26, 2016, 02:40:40 pm »
Thanks! We'll keep this one in stores for when something hits us. ;)
I'm not sure of that. There's just a whole lot of work on it. I haven't checked for the latest updates - have you?

On gideon zhi's website Aeon Genesis the last update is from last year, and the last update of srw alpha was from 2012.
Maybe the guy moved on to better projects, srw alpha must be a pain to translate due to the character customization and stuff.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #221 on: October 26, 2016, 04:15:17 pm »
Today is a special day.
Not because of whatever is on the news - I haven't watched them.
Not because of what you may have just red on this forum or another.
Nope.

Today we just crossed the 50% mark of the story!!!!!  :woot!:
Well done, TheMajinZenki!! Keep it up!  :thumbsup: :beer:

Some would think it'll take another 2 years to get there. That might be the right bull park, but I'd like to point at a few things:
- I've upgraded the editing tool. Okay, that one doesn't change the method completely, so let's give outselves a 2% speed increase here.
- Encyclopaedia entries are mostly done (not yet fully, but over 80%). So that'll be as much time saved for the missions after that. (For the record, TheMajinZenki translates pedia entries mission-per-mission, taking care of mechs and characters that appear for the first time in the mission just translated.)
- TheMajinZenki has built up some seriously increased translation skills. Not that he wasn't doing good before. He's just better, faster, and it's still as fascinating to listen to him telling SRW stories. Oh - and his love for super robots hasn't decreased. ;D

So here's it, people! I'll take my bet (from that earlier conversation) on about 20 months. You still have a little time to plan for your buying the partying gifts ;) but don't forget - we'll get there.

TheMajinZenki

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 26, 2016, 04:20:35 pm »
I don't have a big presence on the message board, but since we're over the 50% mark, I'll take the occasion to say that I'll keep doing my thing and see this translation finished. I hope you'll enjoy it, it's a pretty cool story with a lot of funny moments.

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 27, 2016, 01:07:44 pm »
Hey. Nice progress! Seems like the translating rate is increasing upwards a bit! :woot!:

Is this gonna be the only Super Robot Wars game that your team would ever translate (Not to mention how massive of an undertaking this project itself is!)?

When I checked the wiki charts for the entire series of video games, in my opinion, it does seem intimidating to any would-be translators and romhackers out there. :'( But what also surprised me very much was how many of the SRW games would introduce so many new anime and sometimes manga series additions based on the super robot theme! :huh: Most of those anime series are old and were usually produced between the 1970's to the decade after the millenium. I didn't realise that there were so many super robot-related anime shows that existed out there because I don't usually follow that sort of anime. Sorry if I sounded like a newbie to that, hehe. :-[ But obviously I do know about the big names.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 27, 2016, 02:12:11 pm »
Hey. Nice progress! Seems like the translating rate is increasing upwards a bit! :woot!:
;D

Is this gonna be the only Super Robot Wars game that your team would ever translate (Not to mention how massive of an undertaking this project itself is!)?
Well... One every 4 years then?

When I checked the wiki charts for the entire series of video games, in my opinion, it does seem intimidating to any would-be translators and romhackers out there. :'( But what also surprised me very much was how many of the SRW games would introduce so many new anime and sometimes manga series additions based on the super robot theme! :huh: Most of those anime series are old and were usually produced between the 1970's to the decade after the millenium. I didn't realise that there were so many super robot-related anime shows that existed out there because I don't usually follow that sort of anime. Sorry if I sounded like a newbie to that, hehe. :-[ But obviously I do know about the big names.
Just choose a single game and bring your contribution to the community! If 1 fan out of 10 did that, we'd be seeing many SRW fan releases per year.  8)
A lot of the games are on old consoles, too. It's kind of tough to compare recent entries with the old ones, since the battel animations have vastly improved when switching to the PS2 - and beyond. I'm not really sure which one I'd pick - IF I were to do another one.
We'll see. There is still time to think about whether I want to sign up for another 4 years, and whether others want to do it, too. I mean, look at it this way: you have to meet the right people to keep together for that long. So an SRW fan project isn't rare just because of the size of a game, of the compexity inside (if you want to do things nicely, I mean), but it's also a matter of the right people meeting up, and sticking together for a long time. So many real life things can happen in this world.
I'm just plain happy we managed to go this far - ans we're still committed to each other, in the team.

Sabin Stargem

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 28, 2016, 12:26:42 am »
I'm not really sure which one I'd pick - IF I were to do another one.

I would like to trot out a suggestion on that front.  Someone by the name of Isaint / Rex0009 has been working on translating Ghiren's Greed V PSP, and apparently made a fair bit of progress.  Problem is, that he has hit a snag with re-compressing images.  With a bit of help, he might be able to see the project to completion.  I am not sure if he is the real deal, but it seems like there are some technical details in the threads where he discusses the project.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/gundam-ghirens-greed-translation.443718/

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,21198.0.html

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #226 on: October 28, 2016, 04:27:41 pm »
Look at it this way. If we get Asian Engrish versions of all future SRW games like with MD and 5 we finally have a chance of catching up with the series in English instead of getting 5 new ones for everyone that is half translated ;D
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 28, 2016, 05:03:51 pm »
I would like to trot out a suggestion on that front.  Someone by the name of Isaint / Rex0009 has been working on translating Ghiren's Greed V PSP, and apparently made a fair bit of progress.  Problem is, that he has hit a snag with re-compressing images.  With a bit of help, he might be able to see the project to completion.  I am not sure if he is the real deal, but it seems like there are some technical details in the threads where he discusses the project.
I happen to have had quite a few exchanges with him already.;D
I can't sign up for this at the moment, and probably for some time, thus my fully supporting lsaint's wanted ad.

Also, before others start chiming in, no need to speculate or suggest stuff to me. I'll choose what I do for the next half-decade, thanks!  8)

KaioShin: I fully agree with you. One of the reasons for me to have purchased Moon Dwellers is, indeed, to encourage Namdaito to release work that'll be easier to properly translate later. Well, probably muuuuuch later, in the case of OG:MD.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 09:49:20 am by BlackDog61 »

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 29, 2016, 03:56:39 am »
Look at it this way. If we get Asian Engrish versions of all future SRW games like with MD and 5 we finally have a chance of catching up with the series in English instead of getting 5 new ones for everyone that is half translated ;D
KaioShin: I fully agree with you. One of the reasons for me to have purchased Moon Dwellers is, indeed, to encourage Namdaito to release work that'll be easier to properly translate later. Well, probably muuuuuch later, in the case of OG:MD.
Yeah, I agree with both of you. What with the three 3D SRW translation projects currently in process it'll for sure be nice to get these (proper) English-language games with huge quantities of series inclusions and mecha! ;) I'm not aware of what or who Namdaito is. Is it a company that makes the latest SRW games and published by Bandai Namco?

While reading up on some old Armored Core games completely unrelated to this topic I found a link of a review that led me to this site, Mecha Damashii, which has a review catalog of many mecha games especially after 2000 on systems such as the PS2, PS3, PSP, 3DS and some others. Not sure how well updated they are on the review front. But if you then use the search term 'mecha game reviews' then it should be right at the top of a search engine. You probably knew about it already but it may help you to figure out which ones among the franchise would be the best choices to translate if that's what you want to do in the future. But there are also some user reviews at several game databases which you should know about.

DragonFang

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 01, 2016, 07:06:40 am »
I don't have a big presence on the message board, but since we're over the 50% mark, I'll take the occasion to say that I'll keep doing my thing and see this translation finished. I hope you'll enjoy it, it's a pretty cool story with a lot of funny moments.

Wooh!  :beer: Congratulations!

100Migi

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 17, 2016, 08:12:58 am »
Today is a special day.
Not because of whatever is on the news - I haven't watched them.
Not because of what you may have just red on this forum or another.
Nope.

Today we just crossed the 50% mark of the story!!!!!  :woot!:
Well done, TheMajinZenki!! Keep it up!  :thumbsup: :beer:

Some would think it'll take another 2 years to get there. That might be the right bull park, but I'd like to point at a few things:
- I've upgraded the editing tool. Okay, that one doesn't change the method completely, so let's give outselves a 2% speed increase here.
- Encyclopaedia entries are mostly done (not yet fully, but over 80%). So that'll be as much time saved for the missions after that. (For the record, TheMajinZenki translates pedia entries mission-per-mission, taking care of mechs and characters that appear for the first time in the mission just translated.)
- TheMajinZenki has built up some seriously increased translation skills. Not that he wasn't doing good before. He's just better, faster, and it's still as fascinating to listen to him telling SRW stories. Oh - and his love for super robots hasn't decreased. ;D

So here's it, people! I'll take my bet (from that earlier conversation) on about 20 months. You still have a little time to plan for your buying the partying gifts ;) but don't forget - we'll get there.

AYYYYY GRATS! Here's to another 50% completion! XD *KAM PAI*  :woot!: :woot!: :woot!:

dullahan81

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 05, 2016, 09:25:43 pm »
 :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: Awesome work !!

Teddy Riggs

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 07, 2016, 04:16:39 pm »
Hi guys awesome work as always

can you add this soundtrack and make it Combatler V's default theme?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwPxHNfGSwg

Also "Heats" for Shin Getter and "Fire Wars" for Mazinger

Isao Kronos

• Dogman
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 07, 2016, 07:46:31 pm »
Why not learn how to do it yourself? It'd be a good learning experience while they're working on the translation.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 08, 2016, 09:52:25 am »
:woot!: :woot!: :woot!: Awesome work !!
Thanks, Dullahan81!

Hi guys awesome work as always
Thanks! I'm sure you rock, too.  ;D

can you add this soundtrack and make it Combatler V's default theme?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwPxHNfGSwg

Also "Heats" for Shin Getter and "Fire Wars" for Mazinger
What Isao Kronos said is what I've already said before. Please read the thread.  8) http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,19055.msg321621.html#msg321621
Let me know when you are done, we can sync'up the patch releases.  :cookie:

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 25, 2016, 03:27:02 am »
Merry Christmas!
メリークリスマス!
Feliz Navidad!

the cool guy

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 25, 2016, 09:44:24 am »
Is it possible that we can have a new patch release soon? Looking forward to it.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 25, 2016, 12:30:26 pm »
Is it possible that we can have a new patch release soon? Looking forward to it.
Hi there, the cool guy!
Short answer: no. We' ve said a couple of times we're shooting for a more or less finished product for the next release. (example here: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,19055.msg319239.html#msg319239)
Please bear with us, as the team (and especially TheMajinZenki) spend countless hours working on this. I forgot to add an hour counter on the translation tools, just for the fun of knowing how long was spent there (from the time the tools existed). I'd be surprised if it were less than 2000 hours once finished.

But back on topic: please play and enjoy Moon Dwellers and Genesis in the meantime! (You're also probably going to get access to Overworld before you get access to AP, and there's the recently released patch update for Tear Ring Saga, if you're into strategy games?)

December 31, 2016, 06:01:05 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Happy new year to all SRW fans! May 2017 bring us more than 2 SRW in English!!  :beer:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:40:58 am by BlackDog61 »

delta7890

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 03, 2017, 09:36:54 am »
Great work guys, keep it up!  The Shadow Mirrors storyline is probably my favorite in all of SRW so I'm very much looking forward to this release in a couple years.  :D

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 03, 2017, 12:28:59 pm »
Looks like I was a little behind on some of the things to update on the first post, so I've caught up now!
The count of translated episodes seems to have jumped from 21 to 30 (but we're still indeed at episode 18 being edited, which is great, by the way), out of 58.
I had also updated the status after October, but forgot to update that date. We're now all clear (and serene) on that front.

I didn't mention it, but we changed a bit our files organization (for the better) and I fixed a couple of bugs on the translation tools, too. Nothing to call home about, but it feels good to see that things keep going forth!

Oh - and I find SD Gundam G-Generation Genesis very interesting (and a bit tough, too!) What about you?