News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Robot Wars A Portable (PSP) English translation project (complete)  (Read 198419 times)

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Super Robot Wars A Portable (PSP) English translation project
« Reply #180 on: August 23, 2016, 12:05:42 pm »
Hi Gamerhenky,

Modifying the GBA game is done differently from modifying the PSP game. Granted, story data is very similar. (In fact, i'm not even sure there's any difference. As pointed by someone earlier in this thread, Lemon's machine is different and a couple of mechanics differ, with shields especially existing on the GBA only.) However the game doesn't reside in files (like on the PSP), and anything menu-related is uniquely handled for the GBA game. Any code change for a VWF, menu contents and coordinates changes, tools for dumping / insertion, code changes for "inside code" strings edition, would need redoing / heavily adapting.
So, from a programming standpoint, that would close to double the work. In other words, there's around 6-to-8 months of work to take care of the GBA version, reusing translations from the PSP.
Seeing how less visually appealing, and also due to the fact that you cannot skip battle animations, I personally don't feel like jumping to that effort.
If someone feels like taking this up at some point, PM me to discuss. I'd like that "some point" to be after we're done with the PSP version, with the same quality target as on the PSP, ideally.

Heh. I think two-fer idea comes with the AGTP SRW2 NES translation.
WebsiteYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

SenkouZero

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 24, 2016, 09:46:17 pm »
Heh. I think two-fer idea comes with the AGTP SRW2 NES translation.

That worked out because both the original NES cart and the Famicom Mini port of that game were pretty much the same so adding the translation for both was really easy (at least that's my understanding of it). As BlackDog explained adding the GBA translation to the PSP one which, while the story might be the same, use completely different systems and engines would just add way more programming work for an "inferior" version of the game.

prince2phore

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 25, 2016, 02:55:05 am »
So, seeing the arabic project makes me think many french too would also enjoy a french translation just because of the presence of Grendizer (Goldorak).

While I know for a fact I won't be able to contribute on the hacking fact, I might have enough spare time to work on a french translation with some friends. Is it something you even consider? I mean managing another language for this project?

If so, how can I help? I'd be honored to provide the first to my knowledge SRW french translations :)

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #183 on: September 08, 2016, 12:48:46 pm »
Quote from: Known bugs and limitation
Using a "counter" skill item will not effectively teach the skill to the pilot. (This is a known bug of the original game.)

Is there any way to fix this? (Still worry if you fix this, will do a game breaking)
WebsiteYouTube

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2016, 02:20:13 pm »
Is there any way to fix this? (Still worry if you fix this, will do a game breaking)
There probably is one, indeed. I just haven't found it yet. (I tried some time back when we discussed it, but couldn't find easily where the game stores the "real" skills info.)

Note: I need to update the entry post with current progress, 'cause translations have kept coming! ;D

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #185 on: September 09, 2016, 03:06:23 pm »
That worked out because both the original NES cart and the Famicom Mini port of that game were pretty much the same so adding the translation for both was really easy (at least that's my understanding of it).

This. The Famicom Mini "port" is just an emulated copy of the NES ROM with a few minor changes to cursor sprite positioning as needs accommodate the squished screen (since the GBA's resolution is not as vertically tall as the NES's.) Producing a "translation" for the GBA version was as simple as updating the sprite positions in the translated NES ROM, then copying that over the NES ROM embedded in the GBA ROM.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2016, 03:31:05 am »
This. The Famicom Mini "port" is just an emulated copy of the NES ROM with a few minor changes to cursor sprite positioning as needs accommodate the squished screen (since the GBA's resolution is not as vertically tall as the NES's.) Producing a "translation" for the GBA version was as simple as updating the sprite positions in the translated NES ROM, then copying that over the NES ROM embedded in the GBA ROM.
Thanks Gideon!
So the story part wouldn't be too hard to port (with always a few surprises along the way... still the tools should mostly be OK with the format - likely) but the menu part would be a full redo. :-(
I won't be up for it, most likely.

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2016, 04:16:04 am »
No two-fer planned? (Original A and A Portable)

N/M
WebsiteYouTube

SenkouZero

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2016, 07:42:46 am »

Thanks for the more in depth info about it Gideon and sorry for not getting all the correct details. I know very little about hacking and was just trying to help these guys in the thread in what little ways I can. While having another SRW translated on the GBA would be a great addition next to J, the PSP version is the one more folks are very likely looking forward to and they are doing already doing a great job at it.

Teddy Riggs

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2016, 10:07:43 pm »
I wonder if you can put HEATS as an optional music theme for Shin Getter?

cuz I don't know it just feels right to me when that theme plays instead of the Getter Robo G theme
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 09:09:26 am by Teddy Riggs »

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 11, 2016, 03:19:46 am »
We don't talk about software piracy on RHDN; by site policy and for legal reasons, it would be distributed as a patch only.  They'll presumably include instructions on how to actually patch the game, though.

Teddy Riggs

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 11, 2016, 06:53:43 am »
We don't talk about software piracy on RHDN; by site policy and for legal reasons, it would be distributed as a patch only.  They'll presumably include instructions on how to actually patch the game, though.
huuuuh ok then

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 11, 2016, 07:22:58 am »
Yep, same as for the demo of episodes 1-4 (available from the first post - reminder!)
Are those patching instructions not clear enough?
(And just in case your post was asking whether the translation is finished, no, it's not - please read the status in the first post.  8) )

Teddy Riggs

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 13, 2016, 06:18:11 am »
Yep, same as for the demo of episodes 1-4 (available from the first post - reminder!)
Are those patching instructions not clear enough?
(And just in case your post was asking whether the translation is finished, no, it's not - please read the status in the first post.  8) )
just downloaded the demo(and damn I'm glad it's that simple)

any way is it possible to add another soundtrack like HEATS?(specially HEATS)

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 13, 2016, 06:20:02 pm »
just downloaded the demo(and damn I'm glad it's that simple)
Glad you like it. ;)

any way is it possible to add another soundtrack like HEATS?(specially HEATS)
I'm not good with music. If you or someone else create & share tools, I guess you could create a "patch on the patch" for it?  :beer:

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 19, 2016, 02:42:09 pm »
Hi there, CateLewitt!

I have to admit - I had never thought of doing this.
We pondered the question together with the team, and we don't feel comfortable asking professionals to put their time into this project for free. Don't get me wrong - I'm pretty sure they'd do wonders on such a project (or on others that happen all the time on this site). It just doesn't feel right asking a freelancer to spend time for free, when most of them should be looking for ways to make money to make sure they make ends meet. Or to be able to buy the next gen console and car, for the luckiest among them.

People are free to give if they want to. I don't want to be begging the pros. :)
And to close this post with a philosophical thought, I assume most people have watched this (but if you haven't, go ahead - and then think)? http://www.ted.com/talks/amanda_palmer_the_art_of_asking

DragonFang

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 19, 2016, 05:23:46 pm »
Just wanted to chime in and thank you for this project. Too bad I'm too useless to help.

You translators are internet heroes. Doing all this for free, you must be a little crazy.  :D

I'm sure I'm not the only one that's keeping close tabs on this one. Really looking forward to the end result. Good luck to you and your team.

pauloarkana

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 22, 2016, 01:10:05 am »
Hello , I wanted to congratulate you for this great work you are working ... ( sorry google translator)...
PS.Cheers from brazil :woot!:

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #198 on: October 02, 2016, 02:13:11 am »
Any plans for open beta or going straight to final?
WebsiteYouTube

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 02, 2016, 02:21:04 pm »
Any plans for open beta or going straight to final?
Hi there, Gamerhenky!
We're probably going "straight to final".  :happy: