News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI - Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition v1.6 Released!  (Read 8971 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Rodimus Primal

Just in time for Christmas, Final Fantasy VI Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition has been updated to version 1.6!

With this updated release, two versions come in the package. One is the complete Uncensored Edition, without any further bug fixes to give the unchanged experience as if it was just released on the SNES. The second version adds a modest amount of bug fixes that don't, for the most part, alter any gameplay, but fix problems that should have been fixed upon its initial release 20 years ago!

Both versions have a few tweaks that were needed such as updated item descriptions, and Raiden is now no longer a downgrade to Odin.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,16476.0.html)

GreenBanana

• View Profile
Oh, good, we really needed a translation of Final Fantasy VI. Keep up those astute observational skills.

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
i really don't see the point of endless retranslations/dialogue edits of snes-era ff games

like i really like FF6 BNW but i really don't see the point of the dialogue but the gameplay's fun enough for me i guess

Lilinda

• View Profile
This one's been out for a while, folks... Seems a bit... late to complain about it.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
2 years actually. And I'm actively involved in improving it. That's why there now is two versions.

travel27

• View Profile
Oh, good, we really needed a translation of Final Fantasy VI. Keep up those astute observational skills.

Yup because it is much easier to sit on ones fat butt and complain about others hard work. 

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
How did you expand the Skills menu? That's some pristine work. "Bushido"...I like.  :beer:
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Well, I guess I can stop testing my Ted Woolsey-translation FFVI text cleanup now and just slap it on my Wii, then, if everyone's good with RPGONE's translation, Dr. Meat's Relocalization, and Rodimus Primal's Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition. >.> I thought that RPGONE, Relocalization, and Uncensored Ed. all offered something different. (Being terrible and dry, totally re-writing the script, and making the script basically Ted Woolsey's except with some missing features restored, respectively.) But there's no need to make unwanted hacks, I guess?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 08:20:44 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Well, I guess I can stop testing my Ted Woolsey-translation FFVI text cleanup now and just slap it on my Wii, then, if everyone's good with RPGONE's translation, Dr. Meat's Relocalization, and Rodimus Primal's Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition. >.> I thought that RPGONE, Relocalization, and Uncensored Ed. all offered something different. (Being terrible and dry, totally re-writing the script, and making the script basically Ted Woolsey's except with some missing features restored, respectively.) But there's no need to make unwanted hacks, I guess?

Don't feel so bad, that's how I felt when I started this adventure in game modding. I really wanted to make the best SNES version of Final Fantasy VI possible, while retaining the feel of the original. Now with adding specific bug fixes as an add on, I'm doing just that.

Spooniest, I used code from angelo of FFVIhacking.com as a base and changed the naming he originally applied to fit the current Square Enix names.

The dialogue is cleaned up a bit. Woolsey's translation is used as a base though. Themes religious in nature, censorship of graphics, and even the title screen is now reverted back to its Japanese original. I spent a lot of time and energy going through the script multiple times. No longer is there mishaps in the lines, especially in the Esperworld flashback with Terra's parents.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Really? Fantastic! Maybe my mod is unnecessary in its entirety, then. Did you also fix typos and remove extraneous punctuation? Ted Woolsey really seemed to love his ellipses and exclamation points...............!!!!!!!!!! (Sorry, sorry, had to do it. :p)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI - Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition v1.6 Released!
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 09:20:49 pm »
To keep the feel of Woolsey, I kept some of the extraneous punctuation but not all of it, but the typos I really went after!!  I even added a line back during the Returners meeting that was cut.

All of the characters are no longer in CAPS. VICKS is now Biggs, MADONNA is now Madeline, and the IMPRESSARIO on the Phantom Train is now the Conductor.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:38:15 pm by Rodimus Primal »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 09:36:12 pm »
Alright, fair enough. :) I think I'll keep my project unreleased, though, less out of a feeling of "unwantedness" and more out of respect for you and Dr. Meat. Totally going to put mine on my Wii and my sister's, though.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 07:59:33 pm »
976 and 967 mana?! Learn2Min/Max.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 11:06:48 am »
976 and 967 mana?! Learn2Min/Max.

What are you asking? If its about the MP growth in the game, that is currently not altered. However, I'm under the impression folks would want that done so I will in the next update, just need to research the values.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 01:31:08 pm »
Ted Woolsey really seemed to love his ellipses and exclamation points...............!!!!!!!!!! (Sorry, sorry, had to do it. :p)
He also liked submariners in a world with no submarines and unfunny jokes. If you can fix those there would be much rejoicing. :P
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 03:04:19 pm »
He also liked submariners in a world with no submarines and unfunny jokes. If you can fix those there would be much rejoicing. :P

I think then you'd want Dr Meat's hack, because removing these Woolseyisms from a 'Woolsey edition' just seems wrong. :)

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 08:41:07 pm »
I think then you'd want Dr Meat's hack

Speaking of which... I looked up that hack and it mentioned that it had bug fixes. I checked out the readme but it didn't have an specific information about WHICH bug fixes. Anybody know the specifics on this?
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Dr Meat pretty much took every bug fix possible into his mod. It's listed on his website for the Relocalization Project.

My mod was modest with bugfixes. And now the bugfixes are a seperate patch. I wasn't looking to fix every single bug and exploit in the game. But I do wish to improve upon it every way. Taking the original translation as a base was just as important as uncensoring the game. I may have kept the Woolseyisms, but I read over this game line for line. I looked over the GBA, RPGOne, and Luna Darkstar translations to make it all come together.  Every sprite is restored back to the original including the final battle. The signs say Pub instead of Cafe. Character class names are restored. Spell, Esper, item, and monster names are extended and restored to Square Enix's current naming. I even added B Button Dash for those of us tired of walking. The only thing I did to the font was remove an extra pixel to save space. I know some may prefer the GBA, Android/IOS, etc versions, but I can only hope those of you who want the feel of the original, but uncut, will enjoy this version over others.

I just released 1.62 which reverts the MP growth back to the Japanese original, which is the same as the GBA and future releases. With the bug fix add on, I've added the counterattack bugfix, and the Sketch glitch bugfix.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:16:00 am by Rodimus Primal »