News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Wario Land 2 editor  (Read 21093 times)

evmatter

• View Profile
Re: Wario Land 2 editor
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2015, 08:04:06 pm »
The features you requested were added. Version 1.2.2.
https://app.box.com/s/cd7r945b5l3qn3bhw76xzlad91bglxa5

I was messing around with the graphics editing to see what it was capable of and came up with this:

Yes, these are actual screenshots from the Wario Land 2 engine. I was able to recreate the tile set from the first region of The Peaceful Village (ladders don't actually work). The paragoom is a reskinned version the spearman, so it functions the same way.

evmatter

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2015, 07:30:24 pm »
Update. A new panel has been added for editing object sets.
https://app.box.com/s/251tleoczjkp1v6vkka11f1xztvj4b0l

This feature will probably be more useful than graphics editing if you're not going to be changing a lot of graphics.

Edit: Version 1.3.1. Fixed a small bug.
https://app.box.com/s/6sgb73o7vlxg3w89cskkjkodvvz72d15
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 01:11:05 pm by evmatter »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2015, 12:05:26 pm »
This looks great. I'm doing an Alex Kidd romhack right now but will definitely check it out more thoroughly later.

Something I noticed a lack of that would be useful is undo/redo commands.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Weario

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2017, 05:15:05 pm »
Hi!

Not sure if you are still working on this, but I thought I'd give try to ask you something anyway. :)
I noticed that I can't edit wario's sprite and colours when he's walking back in the credits. Is it possible to add that in this editor as well?
Also, I can't seem to play Wario Land 2 in it's original gb version anymore when I've modified it using your editor.
Hope you're still on this, this is an AMAZING editor!

, Weario

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2017, 07:14:28 pm »
Hi!

Not sure if you are still working on this, but I thought I'd give try to ask you something anyway. :)
I noticed that I can't edit wario's sprite and colours when he's walking back in the credits. Is it possible to add that in this editor as well?
Also, I can't seem to play Wario Land 2 in it's original gb version anymore when I've modified it using your editor.

, Weario

If the graphics in the rom aren't compressed, you could open it in a graphics editor like Tile Layer Pro or YYCHR and scour through it for the graphics in question. Idk how to tackle the palette edits, though.

Also, thank you for necro-posting in this thread. I didn't know this editor even existed until just now.  :D
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Weario

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2017, 04:55:23 am »
If the graphics in the rom aren't compressed, you could open it in a graphics editor like Tile Layer Pro or YYCHR and scour through it for the graphics in question. Idk how to tackle the palette edits, though.

Also, thank you for necro-posting in this thread. I didn't know this editor even existed until just now.  :D
This was indeed what I have been trying myself, but I was unable to properly find the graphics that belong to the ending of the game. I've been editing games with tile editors before, but it still seems different with WL2.

evmatter

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2017, 08:51:45 pm »

After my last post, I've mostly stopped working on it. However, If you're thinking about making a rom hack with the editor, I'll gladly start working on it again.

Yes. It's possible to add these into the editor after I've found where the sprite data is.

Tile Layer Pro and YYCHR won't work since Wario Land 2 compresses a lot of its graphics using RLE compression. The sprites for Wario in the editor are all compressed in the rom, so
the credits sprites are most likely compressed too.

As for the Wario's colors, I haven't quite figured out how to change those yet.

I've only tested it on emulator, so I don't know if it works on an actual gameboy.

Thank you :)

Weario

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2017, 05:43:08 am »
Thanks for coming back to me, evmatter! Wario Land 2 was my childhood, so your editor made me really excited about this, hehe.

I have been using your editor to edit most of wario's sprite so that they slightly resemble the sprites of Wario Land 3.
I've basically been cleaning all the tiny pixel errors that the developers left in Wario's (and some bosses and enemies) sprites.
I've posted a first version of it here: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2990/

So, the finishing touch that I just needed was to edit Wario's sprite in the ending credits, and there was some feedback that I got from friends that I have yet to implement. :) But after that, I could say that it's finished!

Oh, and what I DID manage to edit using a tile editor, was Wario's celebration sprite that you see only once when you've completed the game for the first time. It would be cool if that was in the editor as well, but it's not that mandatory, since I was able to figure that out myself. :P

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2017, 11:50:08 am »
Huh, nice to see you're still willing to work on this editor evmatter.

Either way, while I'm not yet making a ROM hack with this editor, I will say this. I run a fairly active forum dedicated to the Wario series, with quite a few people interested in creating ROM hacks based on Wario Land II and 3. Heck, we even had an official project based on the latter a while back, though it kind of stalled in the meantime.

So if I promote the editor more over there at Wario Forums, and we can find at least a few people willing to make Wario Land 2 mods with it, would that be enough to get you to continue developing the editor? Because I'm sure that with a few improvements or fixes, at least some folk over there would be interested in making their own hacks of Wario Land II...
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

Prince Manic

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2017, 12:59:48 pm »
Could this editor fix this issue according to The Cutting Rom Floor?

https://tcrf.net/Wario_Land_II#Coins - says in the Hold on to the Owl level there's unbreakable wall blocks containing four 10 coins that cannot be collected. if so I would love to use this editor and create a special fix to make it accessible!

Weario

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2017, 03:58:00 pm »

https://tcrf.net/Wario_Land_II#Coins - says in the Hold on to the Owl level there's unbreakable wall blocks containing four 10 coins that cannot be collected. if so I would love to use this editor and create a special fix to make it accessible!
[/quoteHaha, that's also one thing that I patched using this cool editor!

evmatter

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2017, 06:09:09 pm »
Huh, nice to see you're still willing to work on this editor evmatter.

Either way, while I'm not yet making a ROM hack with this editor, I will say this. I run a fairly active forum dedicated to the Wario series, with quite a few people interested in creating ROM hacks based on Wario Land II and 3. Heck, we even had an official project based on the latter a while back, though it kind of stalled in the meantime.

So if I promote the editor more over there at Wario Forums, and we can find at least a few people willing to make Wario Land 2 mods with it, would that be enough to get you to continue developing the editor? Because I'm sure that with a few improvements or fixes, at least some folk over there would be interested in making their own hacks of Wario Land II...

The Wario forums would be a great place for this! Every so often I like to visit there. If people show interest in making hacks with the editor, I will definitely put time into developing it more.

As for the Wario sprites, it may take awhile to get those in the editor. Since the sprites are compressed, changing them changes the size and moves other data around, so I'll have to make sure that it doesn't break anything else.

Prince Manic

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2017, 10:15:17 pm »

Haha, that's also one thing that I patched using this cool editor!

Well I just submitted a mini patch to let others get those four 10 coins - I call it Wario Land 2 5-2 Wall fix, waiting until it's on the list for the game soon. it was an easy fix anyway XD

Weario

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2017, 05:44:24 am »
As for the Wario sprites, it may take awhile to get those in the editor. Since the sprites are compressed, changing them changes the size and moves other data around, so I'll have to make sure that it doesn't break anything else.
I never knew that it could affect other data as well, that's really interesting to know.

Weario

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2017, 03:53:44 pm »
I managed to fix Wario up until this point now (by editing some uncompressed tiles):

But I just couldn't change his eye and his flashing arm.

It seems the rest of the tiles are compressed in an odd way. But looking a bit further in those tiles You can see a pattern. They seem to get shifted up each following tile:

You can see it well in those numbers and letters.

Anything else I could try?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:01:52 pm by Weario »

ETG

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2017, 04:22:12 pm »
Looks like none of the tiles are lined up quite right. Have you tried shifting it around a couple of bytes?

evmatter

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2017, 09:14:17 pm »
It appears that those sprites are also compressed, but they are formatted differently than a lot of the other sprites making them slightly easier to edit in an external program. It's using RLE compression which finds repeating bytes in the data and compresses it. This is what's causing the shifting. If you look between each of the letter sprites, there's a couple lines of odd-looking data. If you change that data, the compression will break, and the sprites are going to get completely messed up. However, if you change the data of the normal-looking part of the sprites, only that part will change.

Here's the section of sprites you showed me, but uncompressed (and oriented in an order that's easier to interpret):

It looks like this part can be changed to stop the arm from flashing:

Weario

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2017, 04:51:22 am »
Hey that uncompressed image looks really good! Do you think that can be added to the editor? =)
Thanks for showing me that flashing bit of his arm, still. xD It's really hard to find haha.

EDIT: I changed that part around, but now this happens to his arm:

I tried using other colours and I tried to colour other pixels but I could never get it perfect, sadly.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 03:15:03 pm by Weario »

evmatter

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2017, 02:11:23 pm »
Changing that part seemed to work for me, but I tested it using the original Wario sprites, so it's possible for it to turn out differently in your situation.

The sprite I posted will be added in the next version of the editor along with the rest of the cutscene sprites. It's a lot tricker to get these sprites in the editor, though (which is why they were left out).

Weario

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2017, 05:09:44 pm »
The sprite I posted will be added in the next version of the editor along with the rest of the cutscene sprites. It's a lot tricker to get these sprites in the editor, though (which is why they were left out).
Sweet. =) That means I can soon finish up my rom hack. ^^ I hope things will go well with this!