News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda Marriage Proposal help  (Read 4891 times)

QuitNerdRaging

• View Profile
Zelda Marriage Proposal help
« on: December 12, 2014, 12:14:07 pm »
I'm wanting to ask my GF to marry me soon and wanted to do it through a Zelda game. I was thinking of making it the first Zelda on NES but I haven't ever edited a ROM before and need help from experts! I want to change the Link Sprite to Zelda, the sword to a ring, and change the dialogue to ask her to marry me. I also wanted to know if it's possible to make this into a real game in the future so we could be able to keep it as a memory forever. Any advice and help you could give would really mean a lot to me! Thanks for your time!

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Re: Zelda Marriage Proposal help
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 12:35:33 pm »
Changing the old man's text to "WILL YOU MARRY ME?", changing the old man's sprite to Link and Link to Zelda as well as changing the sword to the Red Ring should be simple enough.

Though... maybe it's not my place to say, but perhaps you may want to use ALttP instead? From a logical standpoint there's even a scene of Link and Zelda in a Church with a Priest and there's a full blown text editor for that game after all.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 12:40:21 pm »
I want to change the Link Sprite to Zelda, the sword to a ring, and change the dialogue to ask her to marry me.
What you propose (see what I did there?) is eminently doable! Hell, I could whip this up in an hour...

Is the first cave (where you get the Wooden Sword) permissible for ring/proposal message?

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 01:04:18 pm »
He also said he want to make it into a real game if possible; merely more than a proposal. So he's probably not asking the proposal to be as soon as the first cave?

QuitNerdRaging

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 01:13:15 pm »
See I was thinking of that exact spot in LTTP at the church to do it as well and I actually couldn't decide on which to do. I guess if it was possible I could decorate the church with items and stuff. Y'all think it would be possible to make it into a cartridge? I mean if I was to stick with the first cave it would be nice to still be able to play it even if the ring sprite changed back to the sword. As Lon as the ring is visible in the first cave and that's it would be fine.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 01:38:07 pm »
In the first Zelda, you can just relocate the sword without needing to change it back from a ring. One advantage to the first Zelda is that you can be sure the dialogue will not be missed. So if your gf is familiar with ALttP and not expecting a text change, she may breeze through the text and miss it. It would kind of diminish the experience and surprise if you have to tell her to expect any changes beforehand.

QuitNerdRaging

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 01:43:04 pm »
That is def true lol that would be bad. Relocating sounds like it shouldn't be too hard. What programs do y'all recommend to do this stuff?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 01:59:08 pm by QuitNerdRaging »

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 02:01:28 pm »
Zelda Tech
Dungeon Master

The above will not edit cave items though.

QuitNerdRaging

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 02:52:34 pm »
Alright thanks!

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 03:29:12 pm »
You should check your PM box and let me know of any changes you may want. What do you want the ending to be? Zelda in Level 9 is left unchanged. Request them in here in case I can't do it or to have someone beat me to it.

Edit: Patch is here if anyone else wants to see it and suggest something.

Credit to Lord Steak for the Zelda sprites.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 03:44:14 pm by Jeville »

QuitNerdRaging

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 04:23:44 pm »
I'm at work right now so I'll do my best. Tonight I'll be on my computer and will def reply! Thanks!

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 04:54:35 pm »
I don't suppose you'd fancy a little wedding-related theme to be triggered upon entry into aforementioned Ring Cavern?

QuitNerdRaging

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 05:16:15 pm »
That would be cool

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 10:15:48 pm »
That would be cool
Any particular requests?

QuitNerdRaging

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 08:27:07 am »
Not really anything yet I haven't started yet. I'll let you know when the time is right.

December 13, 2014, 04:44:17 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Right now I'm playing around in Hyrule Magic program to mod LTTP and surprisingly easy now that I found the guide for it. Just need to find out how to change Link into a zelda so I can give her black hair and make her look like my GF.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 04:44:17 pm by QuitNerdRaging »

QuitNerdRaging

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 05:37:32 pm »
how would I go about changing the music when in the cave? also trying to change zeldas hair to be black

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
    • http://ff6hacking.com/
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 06:18:25 pm »
I sure hope she says "yes" or else you may develop an instant hatred for ROM hacking the likes of which has never been seen. In all seriousness though, cool idea. :)

QuitNerdRaging

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 06:39:15 pm »
im 1000% positive she will say yes lol. I did the Zelda 1 idea but the only problem is I wish it was more than just walking into the first cave...

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 10:04:55 pm »
put the proposal at the very end of Parallel Worlds.  make her prove her worth!

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 10:27:36 pm »
If you're going to do this correctly, in a way that's realistically feasible and engaging enough for an engagement [/pun] I'd say do it as follows:

Use the first Zelda and the editing utilities available for it.

Build a very small over world that serves soley as an entrance to a single dungeon. The dungeon should have a  very low difficulty level with an estimated playthrough time of 15-20 minutes, and finishing it should result in the save Zelda screen and ending. The save Zelda screen should be you and the proposal. The items collected and the rooms in the dungeon previously would represent sentimental points within your history... and have someone that knows what they're doing produce custom sprites. Not just "Zelda with Black Hair"

..or at least use Oracle of Seasons/Ages graphics as bases for the characters. There are plenty of NPCs to choose from.