News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Changing Sprites in Flicky  (Read 2832 times)

Megahog2014

• View Profile
Changing Sprites in Flicky
« on: December 05, 2014, 12:06:01 am »
Hello My name is Megahog2014 I am asking for help on switching sprites in the game Flicky
What I am trying to do is to put replace the characters in the game like
Flicky=Luigi
Cats=Koopas
and Flower pots=... Koopa shells perhaps?

I am only need of help with the technical stuff as this is my first time hacking without a lot of tools to work with. I thank you guys in advance for taking the time to help a fellow hacker out.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 11:21:37 am by Megahog2014 »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: I need help
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 12:26:11 am »
Please don't use subject lines like "I need help".  What would this forum look like if everyone did that? "Changing Sprites in Flicky" would be much more appropriate in this case.

More importantly, are you looking at the Genesis version of Flicky, or some other version?

I would start by opening up the rom with Tile Molester (or perhaps Tile Molester Mod, or some other tile editor).  If the graphics are already there, you can just start editing them; if they're compressed, things will be much more difficult.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Megahog2014

• View Profile
Re: I need help
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 11:20:57 am »
My apologies I am new around here and it was really late at night anyways but I will change the topic name if I can
also I was considering changing Genesis Flicky's Sprites but it seems compressed so I wanted to know how to decompress and recompress the art.

December 05, 2014, 03:48:50 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also I I'm also using a Macbook Air but I think I can run the tools under wine though
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 03:48:50 pm by Megahog2014 »

Jorpho

• View Profile
Re: Changing Sprites in Flicky
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 12:28:38 am »
Why don't you tell us what you have done so far that leads you to believe that the sprites are compressed?

Tile Molester is a Java program and should run under OS X, in theory.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Megahog2014

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 12:56:01 pm »
I mainly saw just dots on the screen when I try to edit the sprites so I couldn't see what is so I did some research and it turns out the sprites are naturally compressed (P.S. Tile molestor does work on the Mac OS X)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 01:01:44 pm by Megahog2014 »

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 12:55:09 am »
I mainly saw just dots on the screen when I try to edit the sprites
But what did you use to try to edit the sprites?  Tile Molester, or something else?

... Never mind.  A bit more Googling suggests that Flicky does indeed use a well-known compression algorithm.
http://segaretro.org/Nemesis_compression

Some of the utilities at http://www.hacking-cult.org/?utils will probably help.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:02:57 am by Jorpho »

Megahog2014

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 12:32:48 pm »
I did find a decompressor but it's windows only and my laptop is a school issued one on that point

Megahog2014

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 11:51:27 pm »
Well ok the truth is I can't get nemsearch working on the mac so I was asking if you could at least list some numbers for the sprites at least

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 10:53:17 pm »
...And what exactly will you do with these "numbers" (whatever those are) when you have them?

Providing some more details will go a long way towards getting more help.

Megahog2014

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 10:24:48 pm »
Well I would use the numbers for a program called The Sega Data Compressor (no lie thats the program's name) which is a compressor and a decompressor for various formats from various genesis games. Though I here is where the problem stands I needed nemsearch to look for the data I need (for example sprites) so I can enter the numbers that are the location of the portion that can be decompressed.