News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV User Options  (Read 13682 times)

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Final Fantasy IV User Options
« on: November 26, 2014, 02:12:40 am »
Hello, this thread is for discussion of the hack I recently put up on RHDN, Final Fantasy IV User Options.

I started this thread mainly to respond to some feedback I go on a different thread, in the interest of allowing that one to stay on its original topic. I guess it's not the end of the world if this gets my hack more exposure either  ;D

Just tested that out chillyfeez. Works okay, but it doesn't patch cleanly with Project II. Seems to cause a title screen error. It works with vanilla FFIIUS 1.1 headered, though. The L button toggle is odd too. It doesn't seem to turn off and I had to press L a couple of times before it turned on. The X deferrment works well.

Thanks for the feedback, Rodimus Primal. I've never played Project II, but I think it may have some custom coding, which might unfortunately interfere with that of User Options. I know it's generally compatible with hacks done solely with FF4kster (because I use FF4kster a lot), and it has been successfully implemented into Grimoire LD's Combat Boost hack... Is it just the title screen that's messed up when patching into Project II?

I've never had any problems getting the dash toggle to work, but you do have to do it while you have control of movement (no messages on screen, no events taking place), and dash does get cancelled when entering a battle. The other weird thing about it is that it stays toggled on when an event happens, so if the event toggles running on, it instead makes you slow down. I've been toying with the idea of an update that cancels dash at the onset of any event in order to fix that issue.

My favorite part, personally, is the ATB meter, though that has a quirk as well. When a battle yields over 1000 exp and/or GP, the digit in the 1000s place will display oddly if ATB meter is turned on. I will be looking into a fix for that as well at some point.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV User Options
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 04:38:21 pm »
Maybe your code is in the same place as the changes made in Project II. I know you didn't like the whole "hold the button down" to dash, but that would fix the toggle issues in events. That and making it the B button if possible.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 05:00:45 pm »
It's not that I don't like holding the button. It seems to be impossible with FFIVs engine. As Spooniest said, when you try to implement a "hold button to dash" function, the character ends up running too far, and the game's x,y reading gets out of sync with the visible position (that is, you might look like you're standing next to a walkable space, but the game reads you as being next to a wall). In my experience, this will happen anytime you try to start or stop running while still moving.
When I originally started the dash portion of the hack, I thought at first that there was interference between the B button and the D-Pad because they register in the same byte of RAM, which is why I started using L instead. Once I realized that wasn't the problem, I just kept it as L. I can change back to B in a later revision if that's what folks want (obviously there are some things I mean to fix eventually anyway).

Latest Demo

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 09:34:07 pm »
See if you can where your code is compared to Project II. I'd like it to be compatible.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 11:13:29 pm »
I'll do ya one better. Since compatability is the aim, and the code in my hack is not extremely long, I'll just rework the hack using Project II as the base. I'll see what I can do about making it the B button as well.
I can't promise it'll happen in the next few days, though. Between Thanksgiving, and the fact that my IRL job is as a manager in a large retail chain... Clearly I'm going to be pretty tied up... But once I can get to it, it shouldn't take very long to do. Gimme a week or so.  :thumbsup:

Latest Demo

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 07:58:38 am »
I don't think any of us here put any deadlines on you for hacks. We all work on these games out of a labor of love. It's the main reason I made my hack of Final Fantasy VI. So when it comes it comes. When you do get around to it, I'm sure it will be worth it.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 10:30:59 am »
I'd love to see this, especially working with Project II.
Thanks!

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 01:17:46 pm »
Edit - Redoing this post, because it was a mess before!

I didn't mess with any of the controls or anything, so I don't think the issue inherently is due to the controls conflicting. When most people see the title screen glitch, it's due to a header issue. I have found a way to get FFIV User Options and Project II to work nicely together. Get TUSH and add a header to your Project II ROM, then apply User Options. It works for me, at least!

FFIV seems to play so nicely now that I do have a proposition for chillyfeez, however. Would you like to merge our projects? Or maybe I could merely add User Options to the Project, and you could have it also as a separate patch. I have no qualms about merging / adding, except for the need to find room to explain the new X Button and L Button functions in the Beginner's Classroom.

By the way, chillyfeez, would you ever consider adding back in the Active and Wait option in the customizer menu? I know the flags / triggers / whatever they're called still exist within the game, the menu option had just been removed.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 01:38:45 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 02:14:48 pm »
For the Active/Wait, I'd like to see that. I don't mind Active but my wife prefers Wait since she is slow to respond in nail bitting boss battles.

I used NSRT to add a header when patching. When you did so, vivify93, which project did you add first? And which project did you add first?

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 02:27:11 pm »
When you did so, vivify93, which project did you add first? And which project did you add first?
I tried applying it User Changes, then the Project, but for some reason, Project II coming last erased chillyfeez's changes. So I added a header via TUSH and applied it Project II, then User Changes, and it worked fine.

Edit - Do you and your wife ever play Final Fantasy together, Rodimus Primal? I think it'd be cute if a husband and wife were playing my hack together! Although, I guess it'd be tempting to mess with someone else's controls, since you can both do everything... :p

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 02:37:10 pm »
Add it to the Project. Though I admit to preferring run as B, myself, since that's more instinctive after all the other FF's.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 05:29:36 pm »
I need chillyfeez's permission first, Digitsie. :) And I'd also like to see if he could restore Active and Wait's choices.

I'd personally like the dash to remain as the L Button, since it has no other function and all you do is tap it rather than hold it like in the FF Advance games and FFVII.

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 07:37:36 pm »
After all these years, somebody found something to do with the L Button in Final Fantasy IV.

Huh.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 11:18:11 pm »
I tried applying it User Changes, then the Project, but for some reason, Project II coming last erased chillyfeez's changes. So I added a header via TUSH and applied it Project II, then User Changes, and it worked fine.

Edit - Do you and your wife ever play Final Fantasy together, Rodimus Primal? I think it'd be cute if a husband and wife were playing my hack together! Although, I guess it'd be tempting to mess with someone else's controls, since you can both do everything... :p

Yes we do. Not as often as we'd like since both our schedules are hectic. She at this point is sick of Final Fantasy VI since I spent so much time on it. She hated VII's translation and is eager to play VIII. But lately I have to pry her off her 3DS with Animal Crossing...

Edit- So I figured out the bug that I was having with combining both. You have to add a header, add Project II, then re-add the header, then add the User Options patch.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 11:36:44 pm by Rodimus Primal »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 12:15:55 am »
Ahh, you were dealing with an unheadered ROM in the first place, then.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 02:34:06 am »
Hi, everyone. For those of you in the US, I hope your Thanksgiving was great.

Anyway, first of all, yes, vivify93 you definitely have my permission to integrate User Options into Project II. It'd be an honor.

Secondly, here's the thing about active/wait: I don't think the Custom menu is coded for it to be there, so I only know how to add that in at the expense of the ATB/MaxHP toggle.
I have one idea - I could change the MaxHP/ATB toggle to be attached to the Select button during battle, and put active/wait in the custom menu. It's not my favorite idea, because I am a Wait Wimp myself, so I'd never use a reactivated Active, but not that hard to implement. Also, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the ability to toggle between Max HP and ATB meter in the middle of the battle... actually... That gives me an easy fix for the weird >1000 GP and Exp displays, too - I can throw in an automatic switch back to Max HP at the end of the battle, thereby making that stuff display right without me having to pore through text display routines trying to figure out how I screwed them up.
OK, I'm sold - that's what I'll do for the next release. 8)

Third... Now I'm torn about the B button/L button issue. How about this? It's only a difference of two bytes (possibly only one, actually). When I put out the next release, I'll let you all know here exactly what you'll need to change in order to make it B instead of L, then you can very easily change it yourself if you want to!

Finally, Rodimus Primal, I am eternally jealous that you married someone who will play Final Fantasy with you. My wife grudgingly tolerates my obsession with it and I think that's the best I can ever expect from that area of our relationship.

Latest Demo

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 12:26:54 pm »
Works for me! I love the ideas. Thank you for all you've done, chillyfeez. :)

As a bonus, I'll give you guys a taste of the updated tutorial text for Project II. The first three come from NPCs in the Beginner's Classroom. The last one comes from Cid when you first get the Enterprise.

"In field maps, you can cycle through teammates by pressing R. You can also tap L to dash."

"You gotta act fast in fights! If you're not confident about the new battle system, use the Customizer to reduce their speed! Want a real fight? Choose Active and foes will attack while you're in battle menus!"

"Carelessness heralds doom. If you're losing a fight, don't hesitate to flee by holding L and R at once. You can't run from bosses! Also, hold X to skip someone's turn, and press Select to see how long it'll be 'til someone can next act. It may save your life."

Cid: Gettin' on and off an airship means ya gotta press A. When you're in the air, move by usin' the D-Pad. Watch the shadow to see where to land, but ya can't land in forests, mountains, or deserts. Press L for slow mode to fine-tune a landin'. Now, let's get movin'! Troia's in the northwest.

Edit - So, just to clarify, the option "Sound  Stereo  Mono" will become  "Fight  Active  Wait" with the cursor starting on Wait, right?

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 06:34:59 pm »
I plan for the default to be Wait, yes. I'm slightly concerned about whether there will be enough space to write the whole word "Active." I may have to shorten it to "Act."

The tutorial text looks good, BTW, vivify93.  :)

Latest Demo

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 09:10:31 pm »
Changing max HP display during battle. Hope that won't break anything.
I mean, I recall FFIV kinda had trouble getting the PAUSE function right. :P (I recall there was a bit of lag between pausing the game and the game actually stopping.
And wasn't there one version of one of the FF games that had a bug where Stop spell could completely stop the game? :D )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 09:24:14 pm »
I plan for the default to be Wait, yes. I'm slightly concerned about whether there will be enough space to write the whole word "Active." I may have to shorten it to "Act."

The tutorial text looks good, BTW, vivify93.  :)
Thanks! Not sure if you could do this, but could you make it so the selection goes Active, Wait in that order? I think the original had Wait, Active in that order, but Stereo and Mono are the same lengths as the two battle modes. That's why I made the whole fuss of pointing it out. :)

I recall FFIV kinda had trouble getting the PAUSE function right. :P (I recall there was a bit of lag between pausing the game and the game actually stopping.
And wasn't there one version of one of the FF games that had a bug where Stop spell could completely stop the game? :D )
The one that had trouble with Pause was the GBA game. It had terrible battle lag. And the Stop spell bug was the v1.0 FFII US release.