News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: FFVI - Return of the Dark Sorcerer released!  (Read 42699 times)

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
    • http://ff6hacking.com/
Re: ROM Hacks: FFVI - Return of the Dark Sorcerer released!
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2014, 06:44:19 pm »
Along with that, I am also a proud user of windows XP :laugh: Living in the past, I am. The last few years I've just been using the same emulator for all of my endeavors, which is good ol' zsnes. Well, except for upgrading to Fusoya's 8mb custom version. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it, is a philosophy I live by. Just recently since this hack was released I come to find out how picky people are (in general) these days about which emulator is the absolute most accurate one and the one to judge all the other ones.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 06:58:42 pm by Gi Nattak »

Shinrin

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2014, 06:53:42 pm »
Hmm. there's this new Zelda 3 hack out that adds CD quality music and even allows you to do FMV's. Could potentally use it to use the real version of the final countdown. ;)
I  support Pandora's Box!
Released Hacks: FF6 Hard Challenge and Chrono Trigger Ingame loading
Coming Soon: Matsumi - Saga 1

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2014, 07:16:49 pm »
But if it ain't broke, don't fix it, is a philosophy I live by. Just recently since this hack was released I come to find out how picky people are (in general) these days about which emulator is the absolute most accurate one and the one to judge all the other ones.

That's sort of the point, though: it IS broke. The easiest way to fix it is to replace it.

Endymian

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2014, 11:15:26 am »
I'm surprised that anyone is stilling using ZSNES.  The bsnes cores are all far more accurate.  Yeah, Higan is absolutely horrid with the whole cartridge folder nonsense, but you can use RetroArch to get around that.

I was thinking that recently too. I downloaded it to test compatibility on a rom (that turned out to be a botched patch job on my part ultimately) and I was really shocked that it still uses that primitive UI from 10-15 years ago.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2014, 12:06:08 pm »
Because ZSNES was too cool to use a normal Windows UI. :P
And now I'm using Windows 8.1, it doesn't seem to like it that well. It still runs but after I load a game, the emu seems to lose keyboard focus, so I have to click and Alt-Tab a bunch to reset it. (well, I only use ZSNES anymore pretty much just for making debug savestates, so I prefer to stick to the keyboard for that when I can)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Shinrin

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2014, 01:14:35 pm »
Because ZSNES was too cool to use a normal Windows UI. :P
And now I'm using Windows 8.1, it doesn't seem to like it that well. It still runs but after I load a game, the emu seems to lose keyboard focus, so I have to click and Alt-Tab a bunch to reset it. (well, I only use ZSNES anymore pretty much just for making debug savestates, so I prefer to stick to the keyboard for that when I can)

I'm using the Tech Preview for windows 10, Never lost Keyboard in ZSNES, at one point i couldn't put the emulator in full screen but i can now after doing a few tweaks but the emu does crazy things in full screen when you alt tab, other than that ZSNES runs decent. I maybe switching over to bizhawk, sure the hack works in bizhawk, but some songs don't play correctly like the final countdown.
I  support Pandora's Box!
Released Hacks: FF6 Hard Challenge and Chrono Trigger Ingame loading
Coming Soon: Matsumi - Saga 1

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2014, 11:24:08 am »
I was thinking that recently too. I downloaded it to test compatibility on a rom (that turned out to be a botched patch job on my part ultimately) and I was really shocked that it still uses that primitive UI from 10-15 years ago.

Not terribly surprising, since IIRC the last time it was updated was around that long ago :P (minor hacks like fusoya's notwithstanding)

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2014, 04:57:29 pm »
This is a cool hack.

I am well placed to know how hard it should have been to port all those songs to FF6 by editing the musical bytecode manually. This should have been extremely long and tedious (something that someone who didn't do hacks that deals with them can't realize). In all cases congratulations.

I disagree with people who complain that the hack is not complete enough. Seriously. I just know that in those "news" threads are usually just a long list of complaints no matter how hard you worked and how great your work is, so I am well placed to understand. Just ignore those guys.

On the other way I love how this is a complete hack but still related with the original. I tend to not like too much complete hacks that get rid of everything - why not just homebrew then - it's much easier than hacking.

(I agree with the complaints about hardware compatibility though.)

I had to give up at the frozen esper bossfight. I mean, 35000 HP right at the start of the game ? Isn't that a little too LONG ? I don't feel like sitting and doing a 1h30 boss fight. I'll see if this is somehow compatible with FF6 saves.

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2014, 05:08:26 pm »
This is a cool hack.

I am well placed to know how hard it should have been to port all those songs to FF6 by editing the musical bytecode manually. This should have been extremely long and tedious (something that someone who didn't do hacks that deals with them can't realize). In all cases congratulations.

I disagree with people who complain that the hack is not complete enough. Seriously. I just know that in those "news" threads are usually just a long list of complaints no matter how hard you worked and how great your work is, so I am well placed to understand. Just ignore those guys.

On the other way I love how this is a complete hack but still related with the original. I tend to not like too much complete hacks that get rid of everything - why not just homebrew then - it's much easier than hacking.

(I agree with the complaints about hardware compatibility though.)

I had to give up at the frozen esper bossfight. I mean, 35000 HP right at the start of the game ? Isn't that a little too LONG ? I don't feel like sitting and doing a 1h30 boss fight. I'll see if this is somehow compatible with FF6 saves.

Thank you very much for the kind words Bregalad, it means a lot coming from you!
One thing I should note about that Esper battle, is you will not need to drain his full hp, after 16,000 the battle event will kick in. I just made it that high to be safe from him possibly dying from a few massive poison tics in a row without triggering the battle event which was found possible during testing, if the player would decided to grind in that little cave to around lvl 30 lol. That, and he is supposed to seem like he has as much HP as his WoR self, basically so it comes off seeming that intimidating, but since he is not at his full power, or reasons that will remain a mystery, the battle event kicks in. But really it is for reason number 1. :laugh:

Aside from that, the poison will begin to stack on him rapidly and increase, so it shouldn't take too long, no longer than 10-15 minutes I'd say on average.

Thanks again for giving it a try and noticing the hard work that did go into this project. =)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 06:12:48 pm by Gi Nattak »

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2014, 12:48:58 am »
Not sure if this is a bug or exploit but when you are in Thistle the guy hiding in the upper right corner gives you 500 Gold when you talk to him. This can be done repeatedly over and over again.

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2014, 02:49:44 am »
Try to do it more than 5 times

Lunaria

• Meep
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2014, 07:10:09 pm »
Just ignore those guys.
Yes, because ignoring criticism is clearly how to improve.

It's not just ROM hacks, you know? There are many games out there that keeps updating past release, both to fix bugs as well as game improvements.

Also, telling others to not criticism something only proceed to do so yourself is a bit, ya know?

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2014, 07:33:45 pm »

This pillow shading makes me want to throw up. It also made me loss any interest I had in trying the hack. :I

I am open to constructive criticism, as like you say for future updates, but this was pretty much the opposite of constructive, kind of insulting even. And then the rainbow paw person agrees with you right away, furthering the insult. I can take it though, I'm a grown man. And after all it is just a hack... and everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course. Your second post was much easier to see your point and take the criticism seriously. Although you said the person who sprited it is lacking skill. I'd like to see what you can do in terms of sprites sir, I doubt most people can bang out a sprite like the spider boss, so that does take some degree of skill wouldn't you say?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:27:59 pm by Gi Nattak »

Gohanks

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2014, 02:01:09 am »
Honestly I'd just recommend doing what I have - give yourself infinite HP after making an attempt or two at the bosses.  They generally have too much HP or do too much damage/status effects for the parts of the game they're at or just take too much time to beat considering how little strategy goes into it, but the changes to the game make me want to keep playing it just to see how different it is.   It was a real tragedy to not be able to suplex the Ghost Train, which could then also do 200+ damage to my whole team of non-magic users every time it got a turn.  Only way to heal that is with HP recovery items, so yeah, that should give you an idea of how arduous a lot of the boss fights are.  Still, it's a neat hack in terms of changes at least!
(edit) Oh yeah, other parts of that fight: Ghost Train can also do 300 damage to two of your party members each turn - my guys were around level 14-16 at that point so that was almost a one hit KO - or use a mass-status-effect move that causes status effects that can't be cured via Remedies.  Also there's another enemy in the fight with the ability to randomly 1-hit-kill your guys via an instant death regular attack because why not?  Also the enemy that can do the 1-shot-kill has Blink on him so I hope you bought a lot of ninja stars to bypass that.  Hoo boy, the bosses in this hack could've used another balance pass.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 02:06:57 am by Gohanks »

DarkDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2014, 03:42:12 am »
Hey folks,

Just joined this site to say how much I've enjoyed this mod so far.  I'm really enjoying the new mechanics, difficulty, and references to other RPGs.

I'm about to fight the boss on the floating continent, but before I do so, I wanted to check with you all to see if I missed any WoB-only collectables that are new in this mod.  Here's the new stuff I have thus far that I'm guessing isn't available in the WoR:

Spoiler:

The loot from the skull cave (the small island in the center of the world)

The lightsaber (atma weapon?) from the hermit

The lich relic from the emperor's dining hall

Is there anything important that I can't get in the WoR?  I know there are lists of missable items from the original FF6 floating around the internet (such as here - http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Permanently_Missable_Content), but I'm curious to know if there is anything specific to this mod that I can miss.

Is there another colleseum in the WoR? 

Anyways, cheers and thanks to Gi Nattak (and everyone who helped him) for putting this together.  Looking forward to plowing through the rest of the game.

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2014, 04:51:08 am »
Hi there! Glad to hear you are having an enjoyable experience. :)
Sounds like you got the regular secret items taken care of. Have you done the rare item side quest, starting with the guy in Willoughby (Mobliz) that you send letters for? That has been turned into a little side quest of sorts now, instead of receiving a Tintinabar. I won't spoil what it all entails now.

Besides that, I'm sure there are plenty of status tabs and other various hidden normal treasures lying around, but maybe you got them all, there's no way to be sure there. Did you find that rare item in the ground in the sealed gate cave? That would allow you to do the WoB soul shrine boss medly thing if you wanted.

Besides that pretty sure that's it yeah.

There is another colleseum in the WoR, it's the same one for all intents and purposes, just different NPC layout inside.

Thanks for playing and giving it a try!

---

I should note that the hack has been updated today to correct some issues that were discovered. It is still going to be labeled as 1.1 because I don't feel like updating the title screen already again and all the instances of 1.1 there are in site descriptions etc. To be sure that it is the latest patch, check the modified date it should be today, 11-10-14.

Here is the change/fix log:

11-10-14 log, updated version 1.1
- Fixed birdo egg (experience egg) from being found twice issue in Daryl's Tomb.
- Fixed another issue with Genji Glove. (thanks & credit to Synchysi)
- Fixed a dialog repeating issue for Oboro on Floating Continent if you return to the airship.
- Fixed an invisible sprite still on the map issue in Tzen.
- Lowered MP cost of Holy spell.
- Switched out a pointless relic for Astral guest adder character.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 10:03:21 pm by Gi Nattak »

Ikusagami

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2014, 11:54:49 pm »
Thanks for this, Gi Nattak!
I still use (primarily) ZSNES, so I can appreciate the hard work that went into your endeavor and enjoy it for what it is. :)
Don't let the elitists discourage you, as I think most people aren't that concerned with how to play it as just playing it (hence the 900 downloads); If we cared about up-to-date technology we wouldn't be emulating games from the last millennium. :D
You know how to improve on future projects, but that doesn't invalidate this one at all, anymore than a PS3 game released in the PS4 era is automatically bad.

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2014, 02:56:03 pm »
Thank you for the consolation :)

A version 1.2 will be ready here soon that addresses the final issues that have been reported since 1.1., as well as some other core changes. It will be the definitive version for a while now, Probably months. Will report back when it is good to go and updated/uploaded to the database here.

Lunaria

• Meep
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2014, 05:58:01 pm »
I am open to constructive criticism, as like you say for future updates, but this was pretty much the opposite of constructive, kind of insulting even. And then the rainbow paw person agrees with you right away, furthering the insult. I can take it though, I'm a grown man. And after all it is just a hack... and everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course. Your second post was much easier to see your point and take the criticism seriously.
Now, I can agree that my first post is a slightly rude, but that's the way I am, I speak what first comes to my mind in a rather blunt fashion. Plus, I'd argue that it's valid information in this case: If this is how people may react from seeing your hacks page, then they might be discourage from downloading it. In fact, I was getting really hype from the description and everything seemed rather solid until I saw said screenshot. (Of course, it seems there are some balancing issues now post release, but that's not entirely unexpected for projects that don't have considerably large amounts of testing done for them!) First impressions are everything when it comes to games, if something does not click right away people will stop playing or heck, not even try the product in the first place! :p

Although you said the person who sprited it is lacking skill. I'd like to see what you can do in terms of sprites sir, I doubt most people can bang out a sprite like the spider boss, so that does take some degree of skill wouldn't you say?
This is a faulty line of thinking, you don't expect people to be able to draw a mona lisa in order to have the right to criticise it. I suggest you leave such attitude at the door before you enter and release your work in an open space. :p

That being said, I AM a sucker for proving my point. (I would have replied earlier, but with plenty of university work on my hand I did not have the time to do this before today.)

This looks pillow shaded to me, hands down. On top of it looking ugly, it clashes terribly with the other sprites.

First, let's get rid of that shading. I'm not here to judge your boss design, nor can I clearly tell what certain parts of it are supposed to be for sure. As such, this shading will be done on a lot of assumptions, and the original creature designer should probably be able to do this better than me. Due to that, I'll leave the outlining and only focus on shading. FF6 sprites have the light source coming from where the camera is, albeit at a slight angle, they also love drop these white dots to mark shit. So first, I'll place some where I find it most logical on this sprite.

Alright, that's some better shading IMO. I'm sure a more experience spriter could do a better job then me, but this certainly works. I could probably have spent some more time on tweaking it to make it look more solid, but I have better things to do with my time! The wings did not have any texture on them, which is a bit absurd, so I added something somewhat decent. Oh and, two of the colours of the palette felt super redundant so they are not used as to save space. (Could probably have saved another colour by removing a brown, but whatever.)

Now, I realise you might not have as much freedom since you're both working in the limitations of what colours to SNES support as well as having multiple sprites share the same palette~ BUT, this is the type of palette I'd give it to breath some more life into it.

Lastly, if this is a possibility, I'd make these changes to the palette and give the maw another shade. I have no idea how realistic different coloured maw is from the rest of the spider, but I don't really find reality to be that relevant here. I also have no idea how feasible this is, since I have drawn the conclusion (based on the fact that the palette is larger than 16 shades.) that this is actually two sprites drawn on top of each other. But I do feel that making the maws a different colour is a great idea since it draws the focus of the viewer and varies up the rather monotone colours in the sprite a bit.

And there you have it!

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2014, 03:00:13 am »
Oh nice! Yessir that is a much better looking sprite, impressive work. I see you do clearly know what you are talking about. Your demonstration and explanation was enlightening.

EDIT: Ahhh crap I just remembered that the head is one sprite and the body another... So I can't use it as is. I doubt they could be able to be split apart, maybe though. The body would just need to have the black hole drawn again I think...

Sorry to ask for any more of your time, but could you do that edit for your version, split them? My spriting skills are nonexistent and my buddy who did the original hasn't been heard from in a long time.

It will also need to be 16 colors max, I think the last one there is at 18. When I tried to convert it to 16, it still looked good though.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:01:11 pm by Gi Nattak »