News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: FFVI - Return of the Dark Sorcerer released!  (Read 42697 times)

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
ZSNES lock-in garbage...still!?
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 10:18:47 pm »
With all due respect to the authors of this (otherwise fantastic) rom hack, I do have only one request for future releases.
Change your code however is necessary in order for the hack to not only work on actual hardware but to work in emulation without favortism towards any particular emulator.

I'm currently playing the first Star Ocean game for the Super Famicom (with Dejap English patch) and it is fantastic.  In ZSNES the music gets horribly out of sync and messes up too often to be enjoyable.  But SNES9X has everything working perfectly!  Default settings on both, so it is curious to see that.

There's a reason that byuu made 'higan' as an emulator for accuracy purposes.  They were upset at the dozens if not hundreds of 'emulator specific' rom hacks that will forever be forgotten and ignored because they can only be played by one specific (obsolete) emulator.

This project is too awesome to be shoved aside and relegated to the footnotes of romhacking history.  So I humbly request that future releases be made emulator-neutral or emulator-agnostic.  Whether we use SNES9X or ZSNES or original hardware, it should just work as intended.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: FFVI - Return of the Dark Sorcerer released!
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 11:12:26 pm »
With all due respect to the authors of this (otherwise fantastic) rom hack, I do have only one request for future releases.
Change your code however is necessary in order for the hack to not only work on actual hardware but to work in emulation without favortism towards any particular emulator.

I'm currently playing the first Star Ocean game for the Super Famicom (with Dejap English patch) and it is fantastic.  In ZSNES the music gets horribly out of sync and messes up too often to be enjoyable.  But SNES9X has everything working perfectly!  Default settings on both, so it is curious to see that.

There's a reason that byuu made 'higan' as an emulator for accuracy purposes.  They were upset at the dozens if not hundreds of 'emulator specific' rom hacks that will forever be forgotten and ignored because they can only be played by one specific (obsolete) emulator.

This project is too awesome to be shoved aside and relegated to the footnotes of romhacking history.  So I humbly request that future releases be made emulator-neutral or emulator-agnostic.  Whether we use SNES9X or ZSNES or original hardware, it should just work as intended.

The problem with that arguement is that ZSNES is KNOWN for having a completely inaccurate sound core that was never fixed. Blargg made improvements to emulating the sound core on SNES emulators, to which both byuu did with bsnes/higan and SNES9x did as well. Personally I say use this on SNES9x.

Back on topic, I did notice a few crackles and pops in bsnes when I tested it so far. Very minor though. So far the game is interesting, at least as far as I got. Has the difficulty been ramped up? Tritoch had me doing this  :banghead:

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 11:37:14 pm »
Yeah, we could use more people testing ROMs using the higan 'accuracy' emulator.  At least then we'd create the emulator-agnostic rom hacks that can be enjoyed for decades to come :)

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 12:47:54 am »
Works great on ZSNES emulator for the Original Xbox :D The Xbox version of SNES9X has some music stuttering though. Still fun to play though :D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 07:14:43 pm by mrrichard999 »

R9delta

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2014, 01:22:32 pm »
For those who would like to play this hack on their Retron 5 I've put together a few fixed patches:

Apply to Final Fantasy III (v1.0):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/f61md87ojdf6s5z/Final+Fantasy+VI+-+Return+of+the+Dark+Sorcerer+%28Apply+to+US+FFIII+v1.0%29.ips

Apply to Final Fantasy III (v1.1):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6b01570d84256pt/Final+Fantasy+VI+-+Return+of+the+Dark+Sorcerer+%28Apply+to+US+FFIII+v1.1%29.ips

Apply to Final Fantasy VI (JPN):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bxv6cfjvkk3tpb4/Final+Fantasy+VI+-+Return+of+the+Dark+Sorcerer+%28Apply+to+FFVI+JPN%29.ips

These are made to be only used on the Retron 5 for the most part but they should work on the PC/other devices assuming the headers are removed for the matching roms. The Retron 5 uses a variation of SNES9x though so keep that in mind if you see any minor issues pop up.

Edit: Updated with v1.1 version of the hack
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 04:42:23 pm by R9delta »

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
    • http://ff6hacking.com/
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 03:09:48 pm »
Yes, exactly. It's old and moldy. By no means should zsnes be the gold standard for compatibility these days.

Maybe not for compatibility as a whole, but definitely for this hack ;D

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2014, 09:41:45 pm »
Maybe not for compatibility as a whole, but definitely for this hack ;D

If you insist on this, it will likely be removed for being an emulator-specific hack. Just noting.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 12:45:13 am »
My understanding is that it is perfectly playable in non-ZSNES emulators, just has some sound issues.  (I've been playing it on ZSNES so I couldn't tell you what.)

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 01:07:19 am »
If you insist on this, it will likely be removed for being an emulator-specific hack. Just noting.

I see your point and I didn't mean it like it can only be played on zsnes, it does in fact work on different emulators, zsnes is just the one I use and tested it on/have no issues with so I suggest it to others to use if possible. I'd say more people than not are able to play it and I personally don't think it should be pulled for lack of compatibility with all emulators out there. :-\

Madsiur

• FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 11:38:58 am »
I'm pretty sure it would be possible for Gi Nattak to test the hack on bizhawk and fix the potential sound issues. I find the idea of removing the hack a bit drastic. There's no need to test the hack on all emulators, just on the most accurate one.

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2014, 02:08:51 pm »
What if it has been tested on SNES9x?  That's a better and more accurate emulator that a bunch if people use. 

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2014, 03:04:44 pm »
The game runs fine for me using  different ports of Snes9X (Psp and Wii) and ZSnes. Only time I've noticed the music  popping/cracking so far is the FF7 boss fight music when you're Cloud  and Tifa during one fight, and that only occured on SNES9x GX 3.8 on wii.

If playing on PSP I reccomend Snes9xTYLmecm 0.4.2 Mod Rev.25. It's the most stable, new-ish Snes emulator I've come across PSP-wise.

I don't have an android but there's a Snes9x EX+ available. If anyone wants to try it out, post the results.  It should run fine I assume, as I pretty much played it exclusively on some form of Snes9x during beta testing. My 94+ hour playthrough can attest to that :)

Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 04:51:47 pm »
In other news, a rather nasty bug was found causing massive Gil drops when a certain guest character is in the party. A 1.1 version is on it's way asap that will fix this and a couple other issues that were brought up that need immediate attention.

Lunaria

• Meep
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2014, 10:57:48 am »

This pillow shading makes me want to throw up. It also made me loss any interest I had in trying the hack. :I

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 11:32:11 am »
... Wow, that sprite is so incredibly out of place.

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 01:56:11 pm »
Yes unfortunately Tetsuya Nomura was not available to do the new original monster sprites. Please try and keep in mind that this is a fan-made hack and we did what we could with who we had. Not trying to take offence and get mad, but you're busting my balls lol. Not even in a constructive way either, nit picking and complaining about a monster sprite in what is otherwise said to be an enjoyable hack. Ah well can't please everyone as they say, and that was never my intention from the start so I do not take it personally.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 02:12:12 pm by Gi Nattak »

Lunaria

• Meep
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2014, 04:46:14 pm »
There is nothing wrong with monster design, it's just lack of skill when it comes to pixel art. Any attempts on the artist part to read up on some shading techniques would produce vastly different results!

And hey, this does not need to be the end! There is always room to come back and improve, and if this is an example of the games art direction than I really recommend the team to so, in regards to graphics.

Shinrin

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2014, 05:22:41 pm »
I've got to what used to be South Figaro and found out how to fight the first two bosses of the game. Already got equipment upgraded for the Characters and even raided the basement in the old man house (boy that rat monster, took a few trys to get though that room.) So far the music has been really good, Interested to hear the FF4 remix of the DQ1 over world music. I haven't heard that in a while since i heard it on a Midi website dedicated to Video games music.

going to level for a bit then tackle the mountain.

Charaters are level 9, 9 and 8. Seems to be a bit low level for this area sure.. but that could be the difficulty increase talking.

Sad to see there was no way to heal yourself due to that one building being the Programmers House now.

Note to others playing: Check everything, there's items hidden in places that weren't there in the original! Though the clocks still carry elixirs!
I  support Pandora's Box!
Released Hacks: FF6 Hard Challenge and Chrono Trigger Ingame loading
Coming Soon: Matsumi - Saga 1

Endymian

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2014, 06:24:24 pm »
Has the difficulty been ramped up? Tritoch had me doing this  :banghead:

Yeah. You're not the only one. Then the multi-party battle in the caves...  :-\
I've only been able to play for a couple of hours and I haven't gotten that far thanks to just how long the battles take.
I'm hoping that it will be worth it toward the end and I start getting awesome items and ridiculous relic combos like the old days. That is to say, I'm withholding judgment until I get further in but so far I would lean toward dialing back the HP of the monsters a bit but I don't have enough experience with it to be sure.
I'm also really curious about some of the design choices; that is names, characters, items, etc. I'm not saying they are bad, it just feels awkward so far. (Professor Oak?) Suffice to say though, this has held my attention longer than most other RPG hacks and there is a tangible degree of quality here (even if some of the jokes do completely break my immersion) so far this is pretty good stuff and I want to keep going.  :thumbsup:

SedrynTyros

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2014, 06:33:26 pm »
I'm surprised that anyone is stilling using ZSNES.  The bsnes cores are all far more accurate.  Yeah, Higan is absolutely horrid with the whole cartridge folder nonsense, but you can use RetroArch to get around that.