News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: \\\"Super Famicom Wars\\\" JP to Eng Translation i have Started.  (Read 18712 times)

optiroc

• View Profile
Re: \\\"Super Famicom Wars\\\" JP to Eng Translation i have Started.
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 07:42:47 am »
Nice to see someone (else!) working on SFW. I just dusted of my own stab at it, and decided to look around to see if anyone else had gotten somewhere on this during my 2.5 years-or-so absence...

Bottom line: The code and data is rather much more convoluted than you'd imagine (which is par for the course for SNES games).

All graphic assets (except for what you've found already; that is, the icons that are used for the help screens, those are DMA:d directly from ROM when needed) are compressed with a variant of LZSS which I haven't seen documented elsewhere. It's pretty simple to reverse engineer though. All graphics decompression and DMA are handled pretty cleanly. So to have any chance at a functioning translation patch, you need to get the whole "graphic assets" pipeline under your control.

Strings have a much simpler decompressor (which also is quite useless for latin strings). The bigger problem with strings is that there's no global table of string locations. Rather, the arguments for the "print" routine are inlined all over the place. There's many strategies for overriding the string/printing system... I'm not sure about what would be the cleanest at the moment (that's what I'm working on now).

I'd guess that the Fire Eblem games should have some "functional" overlap with SFW, but I haven't looked at how the translation projects for those look (are there any complete translations with "post mortems" write-ups available?).

joesteve1914

• View Profile
    • Ripening Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love translation project
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 04:30:39 pm »
(are there any complete translations with "post mortems" write-ups available?).

Yes, there's one for FE4 (the second snes one)

http://twilkitri.fewiki.net/FE4/trans/fe4transsrc.zip

gc8tech

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 08:37:35 pm »
Hello,

How far did you get on your translation?? Care to share notes etc??

Love to see what your progress was.

D.

optiroc

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 12:41:14 pm »
Hello,

How far did you get on your translation?? Care to share notes etc??

Love to see what your progress was.

D.
I've "taken control" of the graphics/DMA system (written decompressor/compressor/injector) and made some decent progress on the text and printing system. I got a bit bummed out when I realized how spread out and messy the text handling really is, but now I'm giving it another shot.

Surely I intend to share my work, but I'll wait until I've reached a milestone with the dissection of all the text stuff (or if I give completely I'll make sure to help anyone interested with my findings).

gc8tech

• View Profile
Re: \\\\\\\"Super Famicom Wars\\\\\\\" JP to Eng Translation i have Started.
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 09:47:25 pm »
Thats heaps further along than i am.. I'm just starting to write my own text and try to call it from the main program. There is heaps of space in the rom were i can write phares or an english A to Z....

January 17, 2015, 06:09:02 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I have way to many Japanese games....

Might do the next translation on "Great Strategy Expert" or "Daisenryaku Expert" :-) Another advance wars type game... I can't find any english translations.. OR a native english version...

D.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 06:09:02 am by gc8tech »

ddstranslation

• View Profile
Re: \\\"Super Famicom Wars\\\" Jap to Eng Translation i have Started.
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 06:23:50 am »
Yes, I did find that.. But no ips file or anything :-(. Can't have been very far off finishing it...

Heh, how embarrassing... That was actually one of my last projects before I did my first disappearing act.

I can post an IPS file of what I got done, but it was barely any more done than what the pictures showed. But I definitely don't mind if you want to go ahead and do this on your own.

I still have the translated text I got from the translator (whose name escapes me :( at the moment), if that would be any help as well.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/kcs2ww2svmmx6s5/sf_wars.zip

That one was meant to be what I used to take the pictures of the pre-game setup. But you'll see that the rest of the game is unplayable. I was a bit out of my league back then. All of the files in my folder for that game are dated from 2003, around the time that I dropped out of college.

The reason I couldn't get any further on the game was because I didn't fully understand how DMA transfers and VRAM worked, and wrote myself into a corner. In that patch, you'll see that you have to press X several times before any legible text would appear.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 06:42:12 am by ddstranslation »

gc8tech

• View Profile
Re: \\\\\\\"Super Famicom Wars\\\\\\\" JP to Eng Translation i have Started.
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2015, 08:43:51 pm »
Thanks for sharing... I realy need to get back into it and learn more.. i'm not even close to were you are.

T.

January 31, 2015, 07:07:55 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I forgot to ask which rom do i apply this patch too?? "Super Famicom Wars (Japan)" ??

Thanks,

D.

Heh, how embarrassing... That was actually one of my last projects before I did my first disappearing act.

I can post an IPS file of what I got done, but it was barely any more done than what the pictures showed. But I definitely don't mind if you want to go ahead and do this on your own.

I still have the translated text I got from the translator (whose name escapes me :( at the moment), if that would be any help as well.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/kcs2ww2svmmx6s5/sf_wars.zip

That one was meant to be what I used to take the pictures of the pre-game setup. But you'll see that the rest of the game is unplayable. I was a bit out of my league back then. All of the files in my folder for that game are dated from 2003, around the time that I dropped out of college.

The reason I couldn't get any further on the game was because I didn't fully understand how DMA transfers and VRAM worked, and wrote myself into a corner. In that patch, you'll see that you have to press X several times before any legible text would appear.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:07:55 am by gc8tech »

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 09:18:34 pm »
It should be, but I only had it named as "sfw_j.zip" in my folder, so I don't know the GoodSNES details or anything on it. The only one I have on my PC is named "Super Famicom Wars (J) (NP).zip".

I think I did remove the header before working on it, so try that if it doesn't work.

gc8tech

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2015, 05:16:28 am »
I haven't got it working yet... i still thinnk i'm using the wrong rom base.

I also have not been able to take control or explane the text decompressor.... I'm worred i might had hit a wall there.

I have been trying to see if i can make a Famicom Wars cart for my NES with the english patch applyed. But the nes cart has 2 roms in it... and i have no idea on how to split the rom to put it back in the cart with eproms  or Flash roms.

Moding a cart to run Super famicom wars was heaps easyer :-)

I'm not sure i can post on here arout the nes cart... as it might be viewed as a reproduction... NOT an english translation...

D.

PS if the game rom in a snes game has all the japaneese text as grafics in the rom... i presume they are easyer to translate?

gc8tech

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2015, 04:23:08 am »
Got it working!! Just had to remove the Header... THEN patch it.

I can see your way ahead of me... I was working on the first menu which you have done that says "new".. I think if i could understand how that works.. i could move on with the rest.

D.

sarioc

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2015, 08:34:10 am »
So, how has this project been going?
Would love to see a finished product finnaly see light of day!

gc8tech

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 03:44:29 am »
I'm stuck on the font compression... It seams to be a common theme on translations....

D.

zfreeman

• View Profile

Megakoopax

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2016, 08:05:36 pm »
Keep up the good work. I wish you good luck for the rest of the project.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 09:10:51 pm by Megakoopax »

salvadorc17

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2016, 04:07:17 pm »
There is any progress over here, have you intended to complete traslation??