News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: First Game in Oni Series Translated  (Read 11861 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: First Game in Oni Series Translated
« on: October 24, 2014, 02:29:42 am »

Update By: Pennywise

Today we present to you a completed translation of Kininkou Maroku Oni or what we've translated as Oni Chronicles -Genesis-. It is is the first game in the Oni series which saw 4 sequels on the GB, 2 on the SNES, 1 on the PSX and 1 on the NDS. In addition to a few novels and an anime series. From all accounts the series was quite popular in Japan, but you should not expect much from the game. It certainly isn't terrible, but it isn't great either.

For some background, this translation was started in early 2013 by Pennywise and aishsha. On the hacking side, nothing really noteworthy to comment on other than that the ROM was expanded and items were hacked to be 16 characters. As for the translation, the script was fairly standard with the noteworthy thing being all the Japanese names of towns, skills, and monsters. We localized all the skill names, but we left most of the monster names alone because most of them are various Youkai, Oni and demons in Japanese folklore.

It is also our intention to work on the rest of the Oni series. Oni 2 has already been translated and the main script has been inserted. All that's left to do is hack in the misc text and begin the testing and revision phase. Oni 3 also has a rough draft translation, but hacking work on that game will begin once 2 is finished.

Lastly, we have many projects in states of near completion that we would like help with in regards to testing and script editing. We would welcome any help from someone with a solid grasp of the English language, grammar and the ability to rewrite or reword sentences as necessary. A good tester is also hard to find these days as well. We're hoping someone might be able to lend a hand in their spare time.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://yojimbo.eludevisibility.org)

aqualung

• View Profile
Re: Translations: First Game in Oni Series Translated
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 03:21:08 am »
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was hoping to sink my teeth into this saga for a long time. There's still some great games in the gb waiting to be translated, such as Jungle Wars and similar. I wish I could help if I only had the skills -_-
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 04:18:02 am by aqualung »

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 08:36:16 am »
Wow, another JRPG translation?

Thank you guys! ^^

OMorty

• Video games are rad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 03:55:24 pm »
I'd be more than willing to do some playtesting and script editing! I've been script editing and playtesting for the English Dragon Force II translation, but things are starting to slow down since we're nearing completion. I'd love to get some more experience doing this kind of work, so if anybody working on the Oni translations sees this, feel free to shoot me a PM. :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 04:00:30 pm by OMorty »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 06:42:56 pm »
Duly noted. I'll be in touch.

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 07:38:21 pm »
From all accounts the series was quite popular in Japan, but you should not expect much from the game. It certainly isn't terrible, but it isn't great either.

As someone who (I still have no clue how this happened) ended up in marketing, I can tell you that is decidedly not how to promote your work.

But in all seriousness, good job! Very much looking forward to the next two.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 08:25:07 pm »
In any case, I guess it all depends on how soon we're able to empty our "waiting line" - as Pennywise said - we've got many projects on the pre-final stage...

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 08:38:13 pm »
My hacking work is top-notch, but the game is mediocre. The biggest selling point of this translation is that people can see where a series started and I'm offering my honest opinion of the game. I'm actually more excited about working on the sequels than I am for this game. Because the sequels are likely going to be a good deal better than this game.

Oh, and we will eventually be translating all 5 Oni GB games, not just the next two. I'd work on the SNES games, but the SNES hacking tools suck compared to what's available for the NES/GB.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 08:45:11 pm by Pennywise »

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 06:09:23 am »
Good job guys.

Thanks for doing the first one in the series first even though it's probably the worst one.  That way people can play them in order.

How does it compare in quality to SaGa 1?  SaGa 2 was infinitely better.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 11:25:42 am »
Good job guys.

Thanks for doing the first one in the series first even though it's probably the worst one.  That way people can play them in order.

How does it compare in quality to SaGa 1?  SaGa 2 was infinitely better.
SaGa 1 is a way better than Oni 1 ;)
The biggest selling point of this translation is that people can see where a series started and I'm offering my honest opinion of the game. I'm actually more excited about working on the sequels than I am for this game. Because the sequels are likely going to be a good deal better than this game.
Another point is that the games in the series are pretty much related to each other and Tenchimaru is basically the beginning of it all...

vincent_vincent

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 10:39:15 am »
Good work.
BTW, whats the name of the anime series?

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 01:11:53 pm »
闘魔鬼神伝ONI. (Touma Kishinden Oni)
I don't think it's been ever translated. But from what I know - it's basically an interpretation of the game series.

chivien

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 01:49:32 am »
I registered just to say you guys are awesome and I love your work
If you could translate the oni series till oni zero I WOULD DONATE $500 or $1000 and I WOULD REALLY BE HAPPY TO DO THAT U GUYS MADE MY DAY  :thumbsup:

vincent_vincent

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 02:13:56 am »
闘魔鬼神伝ONI. (Touma Kishinden Oni)
I don't think it's been ever translated. But from what I know - it's basically an interpretation of the game series.

This is one really rare series, thanks.

Edit:
I can't find much about it, which game does it cover?

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 04:52:06 am »
This is one really rare series, thanks.

Edit:
I can't find much about it, which game does it cover?

I found the Wiki, and judging by the list of characters it's not any of the GB ones at least. There's no character named Shuramaru in any of them.

getter77

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 07:52:23 am »
Only the first few episodes for the Oni anime were ever fansubbed into English, unfortunately.   :(   The OP/ED themes are among the best!

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 10:48:55 am »
I may have to find that anime then :) The music is always great. 3 and 4 even have music by one of Falcom's musicians who apparently did the music for Sorcerian. Can't wait to get these games out. Once Pennywise hacks in the menu text for 2, I'm gonna finish up the in game text so it makes sense in context, and get it out the door real quick.

I actually translated all of 2 and most of 3 in a week back in June, so I'm looking forward to fixing them up. Hope these get released faster than Maka Maka which I translated in 2008  ;)

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 04:06:58 pm »
I've just finished it. Not a bad game, but not so great either. Maybe a little monotonous, specially the dungeons, which are almost identical to each other. I haven't found any glitch worth mentioning. Perhaps only in the dialogs with bosses before entering into a fight. Sometimes the chunk of text just before entering the fight disappears automatically before you manage to read it entirely (that happens in almost every boss dialog, even the last one). But I wonder if it works the same way in the original game.

Nevertheless, I really look forward to the second installment, I've heard it's a vast improvement over the first one.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 04:20:30 pm by aqualung »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 11:45:49 pm »
Well, you see what I did was increase of the number of lines per screen from 3 to 5, but didn't bother to adjust the timing so the text stayed on screen longer. You know I was actually planning on doing that, but must've forgotten about it before the release.

arromdee

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 11:49:45 pm »
I found two glitches on this:

1) In the deserted town around the capital, there is a person in a building who heals you.  If you talk to this person a second time, s/he says "You shou".  The healing does work, however.

2) If you go to Mount Hotobetsu, talk to the Great Tengu and Kotone, leave, then reenter, and go all the way to the Great Tengu and try to talk to him again, you instead get messages about not being able to move a boulder.

I played this on hardware using an Everdrive GB and a GBA SP.