News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How to make Tile molester properly display the font?  (Read 2688 times)

Quina

• View Profile
How to make Tile molester properly display the font?
« on: October 14, 2014, 09:37:49 am »
Hi. Im working with Wind Walker font. But
http://i.imgur.com/qyyiA3I.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/t1cqllm.png
How can I make the font properly display with tilemolester? I used both 0.18 and 0.16 (already set to 4 bpp linear) but it turn to coloful I want those letters white all as in-game. That would be easy for me edit or draw new things.
Wew this could be a little problem but... I really cant solve myseft. Thanks for any help.

Dashman

• View Profile
Re: How to make Tile molester properly display the font?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 09:55:37 am »
You need to tweak the colour palette. An image being 4bpp means every pixel uses 4 bits to determine the colour it uses, which means it's one of 2^4 = 16 colours. See all those colours in the lower left of the editor? Count them. Surprise, they're 16.

I haven't used Tile Molester before, but I bet those colours are the palette in use. Try changing the colours and you'll see the font changing accordingly.

Quina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 10:15:32 am »
Thanks for a quick reply.
http://i.imgur.com/9OWyMgi.png
Hmmm I can 4, 5, 7 are not "really properly" displayed eh? =_= They had a little white or lost a little white.
Anyway, I ll try re-draw all of them and will run the ROM for testing. If you have any notice left please let me know. I just a newbie to this tool I dont know much about it.

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 10:54:27 am »
Actually none of those characters are being properly displayed. The font uses 16 colours for a reason, basically giving shade to the characters to make them look rounded. If it was just black and white, you'd only need 1 bpp. Try changing some colours in the palette to shades of gray, you'll see the font properly at some point.

Of course, the proper palette should be somewhere nearby in the file (probably just before the font's image data), so you could always look for it instead of trying colours at random.

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 04:01:12 pm »
A crude way would be doing a texture dump using Dolphin, then getting the exact Red/Blue/Green values for each pixel to get the palette (oh, and put green as a replacement to the color used for transparency)

Quina

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 10:03:12 pm »
@Dashman: I tried to change to just 3 colors: white, grey, black but the result is not good those chars missing texure.
http://i.imgur.com/mJxBbdc.jpg
@GHANMI: Can you guide me how to do that please? I use dolphin 4.0, already tick dump texure (it say texure located in user/texure) but dolphin 4.0 doesnt have user folder. Where is texure dump folder?

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 05:01:39 am »
You'll need more than 3, then. Tipically, these kinds of font have black for the background (or whatever, since it's transparent), then dark gray, light gray and white for the font, making it 4. It doesn't mean this font uses 4 colours, though, you'll have to play around with the palette until you get the look right.

Where is texure dump folder?
The User folder is inside "My Documents/Dolphin Emulator". If you don't like it there, read this:

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Controlling_the_Global_User_Directory

Mattrizzle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 02:57:51 pm »
If you set the palette in Tile Molester like it is at the top of this image, the font should display correctly:

Quina

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 11:08:02 pm »
Thanks! The best solution from a newbie!
Lol but of course I thank you all of you. You guys cared about my problem.
OK I think I ll go with Mattrizzle's solution. Correct me if Im wrong man.
I double click on a color to open swatches tab. I see that that color table doesnt have enough your colors. So I switch to HSV tab (I dont even know what this is I just newbie to tilemolester). Then move the cross to area that I think its same color as yours, click OK then I have 1 color. Do that 16 times, I have full palette (that I think its ok).
Now, Im trying to edit/draw new things. Lets take a look at the font in 1600% zoom.
http://i.imgur.com/KrT5JAD.jpg
Do you think those chars...hmm.... have a "rule" about color? I mean, the letters are white ok? But their shadow, somewhere is strong black, somewhere is less strong black, somewhere is weak black,... Do they have a color rule? Or I should dont care about it, and its all about my draw skill? Beside, my work is almost copy-paste, those things I have to draw are just little things. Example: ố, I can copy-paste ô and just draw a little more.
Im doing now but if you have any advice please let me know.
UPDATE: Those things I have from copy-paste are very good. Trying draw new things that doesnt exist in the font.
UPDATE2: Good. I can handle whole the font now. Thank you very much.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:44:05 pm by Quina »

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 06:20:13 am »
Don't pick colors manually like that, use actual numbers. This is clearly a linear grayscale palette. So ensure that the RGB values are spaced equally apart and that the individual rgb channels are equal.