News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Lagrange Point Translated, More Than 10 Years in the Making  (Read 16756 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Gideon Zhi

Aeon Genesis has, at long last, released their translation patch for the highly-anticipated NES RPG, Lagrange Point, made famous for its inclusion of on-board FM audio. It's worth noting that this is the eventual end-result of the same translation project started by J2E Translations more than ten years ago; it was handed off to Aeon Genesis after necrosaro left to pursue his doctorate. The translation is complete, fully tested, and hopefully bug-free, so enjoy!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://agtp.romhack.net/)

(wraith)

• View Profile
I peak at this site for the first time in years, and get not one--but TWO pleasant surprises, both from Gideon Zhi. Yay! (Admittedly, one of those surprises was over a year ago.............)

Clippit

• View Profile
I always love it when developers push NES' capabilities to the limit on their games, but... if only it wasn't an RPG... I swear, I have no patience for them. I might give it a try for the soundtrack alone, really.
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

VicVergil

• View Profile
YES!!!!!

Thank you so much for this release :)
Surprised tomato didn't do a youtube let's play for this game, he was the main translator after all. Or did he forget about it after just one decade :P ?

Ballz

• party time excellent
    • View Profile
I peak at this site for the first time in years, and get not one--but TWO pleasant surprises, both from Gideon Zhi. Yay! (Admittedly, one of those surprises was over a year ago.............)

Hey stranger. Noticed Lagrange Point's entry description was written by you, heh.
Ballzysoft Industries: Making rom hacks about once every 20 years. This decade's release: EarthBound MSU-1 Hip Hop Journey

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis

Yeah, it's been slow-ish as life catches up. GOod to see you, though! How've you been?

Now I just need to release RS2 and see if I can scare Flobb out of hiding ;)

(wraith)

• View Profile
Yeah, it's been slow-ish as life catches up. GOod to see you, though! How've you been?

Now I just need to release RS2 and see if I can scare Flobb out of hiding ;)

Life has a funny way of doing that, doesn't it? Things are good. I own a home (eek!), have a real job (meh), serious girlfriend (yay!)... constantly wishing I had more time for gaming but still enjoying life. How's everything going with you?

October 23, 2014, 12:09:28 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hey stranger. Noticed Lagrange Point's entry description was written by you, heh.

Ballz! How's it going? I'm pretty sure I did write the original review text in the before-times on donut but I'm about 99.9% that the review text that's there now is not original. Maybe the first sentence or so... the rest is way too in-depth for what I was outputting at that time.

Bregalad

• View Profile
I always love it when developers push NES' capabilities to the limit on their games, but... if only it wasn't an RPG... I swear, I have no patience for them. I might give it a try for the soundtrack alone, really.
Why not just listen the NSF then ?
Despite being technically impressive, in my personal opinion, the music of this game is not very good. But that's just my opinion.

getter77

• View Profile
Definitely one of the finest newsbits to behold.   8)

Hubz

• LEVEL - 99++
    • View Profile
    • Spooky Tornado Studio
Super excited about playing this. Thanks to all those that worked so hard to make this a reality! :)
- Hubz

tryphon

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Lagrange Point Translated, More Than 10 Years in the Making
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 09:40:17 am »
WHAT ? 10 YEARS AND NOT EVEN A VWF ???

Just kidding, I think that's the first time I'm willing to play a NES game.

Congratulations for the hard work  :beer:

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 11:26:17 am »
Kudos, on both completing the project, and assembling people from the past.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 01:00:59 pm by Next Gen Cowboy »
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

zyr2288

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 11:55:10 am »
Amazing! But we are making chinese version now, getting really, really, really close to realese..(Sorry about my English...)
Just using 1 year.
There are some pictures.

We faced lots of problems, too.
Chinese contains lots of word, this is hard to display word in this game.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 12:21:05 pm »
Life has a funny way of doing that, doesn't it? Things are good. I own a home (eek!), have a real job (meh), serious girlfriend (yay!)... constantly wishing I had more time for gaming but still enjoying life. How's everything going with you?

Kind of jealous, actually! I spent six years in a dead-end job barely making enough to scrape by, but now I have a reasonably well-paying deal, so that's nice. I'm renting, and have relocated to Seattle where my job prospects are much frankly better. It's just super busy.

Ballz! How's it going? I'm pretty sure I did write the original review text in the before-times on donut but I'm about 99.9% that the review text that's there now is not original. Maybe the first sentence or so... the rest is way too in-depth for what I was outputting at that time.

RHDN separates game info from translation info. You did write the game info, but the four paragraphs for translation info came from my readme :)

JiangWei 1+1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 12:27:03 pm »
I'm the translater for  this game chinese version.It`s  very difficult to do it.But we done.

Big Head(zyr2288) always zuo die.

patuli

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 03:44:47 pm »
Just to be sure, a NES modded with the famicom expansion audio, will be able to play the enhanced music?
And what's up with the spam in this thread?

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 03:50:21 pm »
Just to be sure, a NES modded with the famicom expansion audio, will be able to play the enhanced music?
Of course, but I don't know if the Power Pak or the Super Ever Drive supports this mapper (VRC7) with its expansion sound.

WHAT ? 10 YEARS AND NOT EVEN A VWF ?
On the NES/FC a VWF is extremely hard to do because
1) VRAM is limited
2) Time in VBlank for transferring data to VRAM is limited

That's probably also why those chineese guys should have had a very hard time to make the game display arbitrary sinograms on screen. If they can do that though it also means a VWF is possible. But personally I kind of like good old 8x8 fonts, as long as there is a blank line between the lines (if the text is too comprimed it becomes hard to read).

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 04:29:53 pm »
On the NES/FC a VWF is extremely hard to do because
1) VRAM is limited
2) Time in VBlank for transferring data to VRAM is limited

Nah nah nah ! We're taking about Gideon Zhi ! He could make a VWF on an Atari 2600 if he wanted.

But yes, for having implemented some VWF on Megadrive games, I have an idea of how hard it could be on a 8bits system.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 04:44:37 pm »
Most NES games don't have VRAM, so a VWF is impossible. Even though LP has VRAM, there definitely isn't enough room for the new code data. There was barely enough room for the script. There's also the matter of having of enough room in the PPU to store multiple screens of text.

kristigurl

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 07:21:31 pm »
don't take this the wrong way, but I am slightly disapointed, not in the translation, but in the game it's self. So really this has nothing to do with you guys, but the translation is great, the sound is great, the game is beutiful looking for an NES game... but sadly I find the game play a bit... lacking... there really isn't much to keep me interested in continuing to play it, it feels like a neat concept but lackluster exicution.