News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Lagrange Point Translated, More Than 10 Years in the Making  (Read 17033 times)

(wraith)

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Lagrange Point Translated, More Than 10 Years in the Making
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 08:06:40 pm »
Kind of jealous, actually! I spent six years in a dead-end job barely making enough to scrape by, but now I have a reasonably well-paying deal, so that's nice. I'm renting, and have relocated to Seattle where my job prospects are much frankly better. It's just super busy.

RHDN separates game info from translation info. You did write the game info, but the four paragraphs for translation info came from my readme :)

Don't be super jealous, I work in operations at a bank. It pays alright but it's not where I thought I'd be. Mostly I think/worry about processes so other people paid more than I am don't have to. I'm still in the Boston area so I didn't get a LOT of house (it's a town house, really--but it's ours, all ours). At least you got out of MA! There's decent tech work out there and Washington is a place I'd love to visit, there's some serious mountains out there. I love the Berkshires and the White Mountains and all but I'd love to hike some serious west coast mountains some day. Also you have all that fun West Coast craft beer out there. I have some location envy.

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 10:00:33 pm »
Yay! Yay! A brand new JRPG translation! ^^ I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun with this game.

Thank you really much, Gideon Zhi! n.n

Sliver X

• Laputan Machine
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 10:09:07 pm »
Sweet, I thought this happening was as likely as finding Bigfoot riding a unicorn. The translation work (both technical and lingual) has been superb during the few hours into the game I've gotten.

I do feel kind of sad considering this is one of the last big NES RPGs that wasn't available in english, though. There's not much left aside from shitty Dragon Quest clones that I can think of, now.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 10:39:24 pm »
I guess Megami Tensei II is last big untranslated NES game that would get the most attention, but even then that wouldn't mean much seeing as how the game was translated in the SNES remake. There are still some noteworthy titles left though like the Ganbare Goemon Gaidens, SD Knight Gundams and a few untranslated DB(Z) games.

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 11:35:09 pm »
Anyone notice patching information is wrong type of ips patch?  It said BIN FORMAT (Genesis).  Can you change to nes ips patch?
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 11:55:51 pm »
Nice work! Will have to give it a try when I find some time :)

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 03:15:07 am »
I guess Megami Tensei II is last big untranslated NES game that would get the most attention, but even then that wouldn't mean much seeing as how the game was translated in the SNES remake. There are still some noteworthy titles left though like the Ganbare Goemon Gaidens, SD Knight Gundams and a few untranslated DB(Z) games.

I think there's also Otaku Galaxy and a few other games worth translating as well. I wish I had the skills...

Thank you very much for this new translation, you're great!  :beer:

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 01:29:14 pm »

Also you have all that fun West Coast craft beer out there. I have some location envy.

Craft beer? Damnit, now I'm jealous!  :P

Congrats on the release, by the way. You've been cranking them out lately! :)
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 02:48:05 pm »
YES!!!!!

Thank you so much for this release :)
Surprised tomato didn't do a youtube let's play for this game, he was the main translator after all. Or did he forget about it after just one decade :P ?

Tomato only recently started doing streaming regularly a few months ago. He says he doesn't have as much time to play games these days, and when he does have time, he prefers to spend it on Japanese games westerners can't as easily play themselves to feel he's doing more "productive" videos. :) (though he does lots of "smaller" stuff as well, because he's a funny guy who likes his funny holidays )
(well, Youkai Watch is like that right now, even though it will probably become well-known in the future. Though Level 5 hasn't committed to a game translation, it's hard to believe they'd "bring the franchise to the west" and not include the game.)

Though maybe sometime we could see him play at least a little bit of the game. I know the idea of playing games he translated has been on his mind.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

kristigurl

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 09:32:14 pm »

Personally I feel like the translation scene should shift it's attention away from "big" games anyhow, there are a lot of much lesser known games that are really good and should get more attention.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2014, 09:35:04 pm »
Personally I feel like the translation scene should shift it's attention away from "big" games anyhow, there are a lot of much lesser known games that are really good and should get more attention.

I tend to agree, which is a big reason why not everything I work on is popular.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2014, 10:05:12 pm »
Judging by your front page updates, it seems all you've been working on are the popular games with a decent fanbase :)

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2014, 11:40:19 pm »
Judging by your front page updates, it seems all you've been working on are the popular games with a decent fanbase :)

Maybe lately! But I did Royal Stone last year, and Twinbee isn't exactly Castlevania. I have a couple of things on slow-boil that could be done in a few months which really aren't popular names either.

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2014, 06:19:56 am »
Awesome job getting this done.   :thumbsup:  I have so little time to do anything these days.

No, it won't work in a PowerPak.

VWF?  How many NES game traslations actually have one of those...  ;)

Now, I just need to find time to play it!

DougRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2014, 06:40:22 am »
Thanks for this translation..... I keep checking Gideon's Twitter almost every day...

No, it won't work in a PowerPak.

It works fine in the real cartridge, though. But I had to use a japanese console. In american consoles the sound is shitty.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2014, 01:07:19 pm »
Amazing! But we are making chinese version now, getting really, really, really close to realese..(Sorry about my English...)
Just using 1 year.
There are some pictures.

We faced lots of problems, too.
Chinese contains lots of word, this is hard to display word in this game.

That's a sight to behold.
I can't even fathom how you even managed to fit in the Chinese characters in the VRAM (or rather, whatever trick you used to pull them from the ROM on the go) And I really wish you could share a tutorial/lesson about how you managed it to share your know-how - Good luck!
I can only wish the English scene was as thriving as the Chinese PSP/PS3 translation scene. Did they manage to get that 3DS fan-translation as something more than a RAM-patch proof of concept thing?

Ballz

• party time excellent
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2014, 04:42:57 pm »
Am I correct in assuming all modern NES emulators can handle VR7 ok?  Probably gonna fire this up tonight with FCEU GX on my Wii.   :)
Ballzysoft Industries: Making rom hacks about once every 20 years. This decade's release: EarthBound MSU-1 Hip Hop Journey

butane bob

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2014, 11:50:15 pm »
Ballz you shouldn't have any problems.

Big thanks to everyone that worked on this!

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2014, 03:05:43 am »
Though maybe sometime we could see him play at least a little bit of the game. I know the idea of playing games he translated has been on his mind.

I'm definitely gonna play this on our stream, probably starting in a week or two. I'd actually like to share a bunch of the things I've translated over the years, whether unofficial or official, and share my experiences, thoughts, translation notes, and all that, while also playing the games themselves. It's now that I curse having translated so many grind-heavy RPGs though  :laugh:

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2014, 09:55:45 pm »
Holy wooly sheep balls, Batman! I can't believe this is finally done.  :crazy:

Congrats, Gid et al!  :beer:
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P