News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Megami Tensei NES Translation Released  (Read 15496 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Megami Tensei NES Translation Released
« on: October 11, 2014, 11:18:28 pm »

Update By: Pennywise

Megami Tensei in English, finally. Please see the readme for project details. But please be aware that this is more of a beta patch. The project has been in a mostly completed state hacking-wise for a long time now, but the script is not final. Personal life has prevented Tom, the translator, from playing through the game and making his final draft of the script. Don't bother reporting any typos or grammatical errors, the script is not final.

However, we could use some help in determining whether passwords screw up the game or not and whether this is an issue with the original game, an emulation issue, or a flaw in our work. We would appreciate anyone willing to help in this matter.

We've also scanned and translated the original manual. A very talented friend of ours photoshopped in the translation and made a beautiful new manual for us. However, the in-game screenshots still need to be replaced before it is final. For bonus points, we also acquired a 150 page guidebook for the game, scanned it and at one point were going to translate that for players. It's still a possibility, but we'll need a translator for it. The whole thing doesn't have to be translated as there's probably a few interesting sections.

Anyhow, you've been warned. This game is not very good. Play it own discretion.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://yojimbo.eludevisibility.org)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: Translations: Megami Tensei NES Translation Released
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 11:32:16 pm »
15 years in the making and it still ain't done. Close enough for now as they say.

I thought I'd mention I think I noticed an error in the game. It seems to me that when they were doing the enemy sprites, they accidentally switched the Behemoth with Purski. Purski looks like a horse when it should look like a Hindu elephant and the Behemoth is vice versa. Oddly enough, they kept it the same for Kyuuyaku, but at least they fixed it for 2.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 01:43:54 am »
Kudos, and best of luck with finishing up the final touches when that time comes.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Fredde

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 05:47:10 am »
As someone who's been following the translation efforts for this game for many of its years (though probably not 15), I want to express my gratitude for the work from everyone who's been involved over the years, and my happiness for finally being able to start playing the Megaten series from the beginning (I'm something of a completist, and like to play all games in a series in the order they were released, if possible). Thank you all very much!

NinjaTurtle82

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 09:16:49 am »
I just found out this was just released, and gotta say, this has just made my day. Congrats on finally getting it released and thank you.

By the way, noticed the patch is a .bps file, which I'm not familiar with. I'm wondering if Lunar can be used or if I have to use something else.

EDIT: Nevermind answering my question, just found out I had to use Beat for your patch. Still, congrats again for releasing the translation.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 09:23:24 am by NinjaTurtle82 »

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 10:20:28 pm »
Thank you to all that were involved in the translation process of this game!

Sorry if the sounds like a dumb question, but where can the translated manual be downloaded from?

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 10:48:30 pm »
Nice work! You guys ready to dive into the 2nd one now? :D

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 11:34:32 pm »
The manual isn't finished and likely won't be available to the final release.

Nice work! You guys ready to dive into the 2nd one now? :D

Not anytime soon unless anyone wants to help me hack it.

Fredde

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 01:56:53 am »
By the way, for those who didn't know, english translations for the first two Digital Devil Story novels, the ones that the game was based on, can be found here. Gives the game a bit of context, and shows just how big a jerk the hero originally was.

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 03:20:01 pm »
To be fair, poor English (and it's not even the case here, even without proofreading) lends it an authentic retro feel :P

esperknight

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 07:16:52 pm »
Just wanted to thank Pennywise for helping me out with this.  He pretty much took it over to help finish it as this game was a huge pain to hack.

This release is also dedicated to Some Good Shit Translations from me :)

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 03:48:12 pm »
Congrats guys! It must feel good to finally have this out there for folks to enjoy. Best of luck finishing things up.

RomanWarrior

• Pier Solar , Beggar Prince, Wukong ,Star Ody. MINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 10:08:04 pm »
WOW why did this one and the SNES remake both have to be translated around the same time? Now i dont know which one to play !!

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 10:20:46 pm »
WOW why did this one and the SNES remake both have to be translated around the same time? Now i dont know which one to play !!

Go with the SNES one. The NES version shows its age, and not in good/charming ways.

Clippit

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 06:06:23 pm »
Go with the SNES one. The NES version shows its age, and not in good/charming ways.
So, what was it translated for? What were those "15 years" spent for? Like, if there's a superior version, what's the point of this one?
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

esperknight

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 07:28:44 pm »
So, what was it translated for? What were those "15 years" spent for? Like, if there's a superior version, what's the point of this one?

Well, for me  it was because of this being SGST's second translation project (Lunar Walking School being the first which Gid finished) and I wanted to see it done :)

Plus I always like to see the original games done too as to see how they were and what was changed between versions.  That way one could if they want play the original and then compare it to the remake to see how it changed.  Hence why we'll probably do the second one as well eventually.

I agree with Gid though that this is probably not the best version as this one is most likely more harsh gameplay wise than the snes version.  But I still think this has it's own charm :)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 08:08:06 pm »
I'll just add that I finished the hacking in the fall of 2013 and wanted to release on Christmas of the same year, but obviously that didn't happen.

Fredde

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 03:01:02 am »
Plus I always like to see the original games done too as to see how they were and what was changed between versions.  That way one could if they want play the original and then compare it to the remake to see how it changed.  Hence why we'll probably do the second one as well eventually.

I really do appreciate this, as it's exactly what I want to do with a game series: Play the original versions and compare them to any newer updates, if possible. I think having the earliest versions of a game playable in english is really important for those interested in game history. Though I do understand that it can be a lot of work hacking and translating when it's an early game with messy code and such, so once again, thank you for all your effort!

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 04:16:19 am »

No matter how terrible a game is, it is part of gaming history. Now people who are interested in the series can look at each iteration and see how it evolved, without having to know Japanese. Works like this are just as important in the long run as projects like MAME.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 01:14:05 am »
I've gotten two emails telling me that the translation doesn't work on Nestopia and if I could fix that. I didn't respond because it's all explained in the readme. The funny thing is that the emails are identical and I think they thought I would respond to the same message if the email address was different.