News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: View japanese text  (Read 1579 times)

HowlingWolf14

• View Profile
View japanese text
« on: October 10, 2014, 12:56:19 pm »
Hey do any of you guys know how to view Japanese text on programs on a Windows 7 computer because everytime I open certain programs the text comes out as random symbols....

puzzledude

• View Profile
Re: View japanese text
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 01:20:57 pm »
Works for me: 学校

You just need to copy the text into the Word and select MS Gothic font or MS Mincho font. Of course if you are copying from the Website, you must not close the browser until the Pasting is complete (otherwise it will come out as rubbish).

Of course it is a different question if you are talking about file names. This tends to be solved with the so called translated-Windows version. So if you instal Win7-eng, you need to also install the Japan language add-on and file names should should also be covered. Same with other programs: they need to have support for these special simbols (ie: be translated and adopted accordingly).

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 04:45:24 am »
If it's random symbols (as opposed to squares) it sounds like an encoding problem. Something like, the program expects ASCII and it's feed with Shift-JIS or UTF8.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 11:53:18 am »
In Control Panel, there should be a Region or Language option. Just go in there and add Japanese to the available languages.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018