News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance Maxim  (Read 2387 times)

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance Maxim
« on: October 07, 2014, 05:23:50 pm »
I was wondering if someone could give me some advice or point me in the right direction. I've been playing Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance for GBA on my Visual Boy Advance. I know its petty,
but I was playing as Maxim and was bothered by the fact that Maxim has a red outline/aura and Juste has a blue one. When Juste dashes, his "trail" is blue as well as his outline. Maxim, on the other hand has a red outline and has a blue trail. That bothers me. Juste can attach the Blood cloak and change his dash trail to red, so why couldn't they have coded Maxim to emulate the blood cloak so that his outline/aura matches his "trail"? His dive kick is blue as well. Is there any way I can hack and change that? The Red and blue clashing just looks like a rushed copy and paste job to me. Is this an easy fix/edit? Would someone be interested in trying to change it? btw, I've seen the hack where someone has taken the outlines completely away. That works great! I just think it would be awesome to see a red trail on maxim like juste's blue one. Thanks much!!

contra

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance Maxim
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 08:53:40 pm »
Yeah I changed the traileffect to gray/black for my personal use not that long ago. It's a fairly simple palette change hack.

You can use http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/541/ for fast and easy palette hacking on gba roms.
The offset for the trail palette is 001241EA (for the USA rom) and/or search for it by checking VBA's excellent debugging tools (it's the fifth row sprite palette you're after).

It's pretty simple and satisfying doing it yourself. Good luck!  :thumbsup:

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 04:30:31 am »
I think the original poster was looking to make a special exception to only modify Maxim's trail to make it red while maintaining the blue color for Juste. If you just modify the normal palette, I don't think that'd have the desired effect, unless they made two trails and were REALLY lazy...

contra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 12:29:19 pm »
Oh right, now I see.

Sorry then I dont know, but changing the trailfx to grayshades (+ no outlines) makes both characters look so much better imo.

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 05:22:40 pm »
I was looking to just change maxim's trail, but the grey dashing with no outline sounds great also. Do you have a file for that?

contra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 11:48:41 pm »
No file, sorry. But as I said it's easy enough to do yourself even if you are new to romhacking.
Use the palette editor or if you want to learn and get into romhacking abit more, use a hexeditor. Theres documents on this site explaining how to do it.

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 09:35:20 am »
Can do. Thanks! I downloaded APE but when I try to switch between palettes, everything is black.
Gonna do some digging and see whats going on.